Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agency to Permanent?

Options
  • 30-12-2013 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

If working for same company for say, 6 years as an agency worker and then offered a permanent contract, does the clock go back to zero in relation to statutory entitlements, redundancy etc or is the service carried over if the job remains exaclty the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I think the clock restarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No Pants wrote: »
    I think the clock restarts.

Balls :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some companies will negotiate on the point. But it has to be talked about when you are offered the permie job, and written into your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

I would guess it can depend on the company but I'd imagine the clock resets. Probably best to see what it says in the new contract OP

Some companies will negotiate on the point. But it has to be talked about when you are offered the permie job, and written into your contract.
    Topper7 wrote: »
    I would guess it can depend on the company but I'd imagine the clock resets. Probably best to see what it says in the new contract OP

Seems harsh alright, that my six years service will amount to nothing. I hope they will negotiate on the point. My request for perm has been o/s for four years, so I suppose this might be a good negotiating point to start on. Thanks guys. Will post updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, it's harsh. I potentially could be in a similar position next year, with not quite as much agency worker time, but still over two years.

It's a trade off between salary and service, in some cases.

But if the clock resets then essentially you're on probation again (so can be let go for no reason in the first 12 months), and can be made redundant with no payment in the first 2 years.

I know that in the gig I'm in, the company does have the ability to count your agency time as service. But I also know from colleagues that some managers don't know this (or pretend not to), and that they won't voluntarily bring it up.

So if you can, do some discreet research among other people who've made a similar change and see what happened for them.

Yup, it's harsh. I potentially could be in a similar position next year, with not quite as much agency worker time, but still over two years.

It's a trade off between salary and service, in some cases.

But if the clock resets then essentially you're on probation again (so can be let go for no reason in the first 12 months), and can be made redundant with no payment in the first 2 years.

I know that in the gig I'm in, the company does have the ability to count your agency time as service. But I also know from colleagues that some managers don't know this (or pretend not to), and that they won't voluntarily bring it up.

So if you can, do some discreet research among other people who've made a similar change and see what happened for them.

Thanks for that. Company is coming under new ownership and potential redundancies - perhaps I was bad minded to think they are trying to shirk statutory duties? Oh sure make her perm now and when the time comes we wont owe her anything because the clock will have reset and she wont have time built up. I'm actually last man standing now, as other agency workers have been let go.

Advertisement