Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Hard Drive Issue

• 30-12-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

My primary hard drive died so I replaced it and re-installed XP. I have two other internal SATA drives and while the BIOS sees both and Windows has assigned both a drive letter when I open them both are the same drive. So effectively F and G are both actually the G drive when I access them.

How can I sort it so that I can actually access the other drive? This is driving me mad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

So you have three drives, the new one and two others. Does the BIOS see all three drives? Do all the drives consist of a single partition?

What shows up in Disk Management?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

BIOS sees all 3, all three have a single partition and Disk Management shows the two storage drives as individual drives but Windows is only reading one of them correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

In Disk Management, try right click on the F and G disks, choose change drive letter & path, then click remove button. Then add a letter back for each disk

Doesn't really matter now, I took the drive out to try it with an external enclosure and the enclosure fried it. No back up, bit of a disaster but f it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,677 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Makaveli wrote: »
    I took the drive out to try it with an external enclosure and the enclosure fried it.

That sounds highly unlikely. What exactly happened when you plugged in the USB from the enclosure into your PC?

• Advertisement

Smoke came out of it.

Took it out hoping it was maybe just the circuit board in the enclosure that went but the BIOS couldn't see the drive when I tried it.

Advertisement