Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New line connection

Options
  • 30-12-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently moved to a house with no phone line.
    I'm looking at broadband options and would like an idea of costs involved if I were to get a phone line connected. There is no line running in to the house but it has the sockets installed. A poll or two may also be needed as there is gap between mine and the nearest house with one inbetween still being constructed. If there is a particular number etc I need to call please advise.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

pawrick wrote: »
    Hi, recently moved to a house with no phone line.
    I'm looking at broadband options and would like an idea of costs involved if I were to get a phone line connected. There is no line running in to the house but it has the sockets installed. A poll or two may also be needed as there is gap between mine and the nearest house with one inbetween still being constructed. If there is a particular number etc I need to call please advise.
    Thanks
    Hi pawrick

Installation of a line is free of charge and the best number to contact to discuss your options would be line sales on free phone 1800503303.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Thanks for the quick reply

No worries pawrick

No worries pawrick
    Hi back again,

Since contacting eircom sales dept. I have now had 4 different guys call out to my house to install it.

First guy who came to assess the location said we would need 5 to 6 polls and that they would be in contact again after he reported this to his boss.
    Next 3 guys to call out (phone calls on the days they were nearby with latest one today) all came out to connect the cable to the house but without the polls being in place this could not happen obviously.

Not sure what is going on at this point as the internal communication seems pretty bad and the guys are confused at being sent to my house when the polls are still not in place. I haven't even been told if the polls will be put up or not / may not go with a connection depending on costs involved seeing the amount of polls required.

I have my order number from early January if you need it to look up the file

thanks for any help you can provide in advance

No worries pawrick
    Hi back again,

Since contacting eircom sales dept. I have now had 4 different guys call out to my house to install it.

First guy who came to assess the location said we would need 5 to 6 polls and that they would be in contact again after he reported this to his boss.
    Next 3 guys to call out (phone calls on the days they were nearby with latest one today) all came out to connect the cable to the house but without the polls being in place this could not happen obviously.

Not sure what is going on at this point as the internal communication seems pretty bad and the guys are confused at being sent to my house when the polls are still not in place. I haven't even been told if the polls will be put up or not / may not go with a connection depending on costs involved seeing the amount of polls required.

I have my order number from early January if you need it to look up the file

thanks for any help you can provide in advance

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi pawrick

Sorry to hear this, when poles are required the standard installation lead time is usually delayed, If you would like to PM me your order number I will look in to this for further information.

Many thanks
    Al[/font]

• Advertisement

PM on the way

btw received another call since my mesaage above with yet another guy this time from a company called KM to connect the line. Explained the case and same thing, said he'd get back to me/check it out.

PM on the way

btw received another call since my mesaage above with yet another guy this time from a company called KM to connect the line. Explained the case and same thing, said he'd get back to me/check it out.
    Hi pawrick

Thanks for the details, I will look in to this and ask planning area for advice on this. As soon as I have more information I will let you know right away.

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,

I had another eircom guy call out to my house today to connect the line, again he thought there was a pole to connect to.

regards

Any update on the connection status?
    Considering going for a wireless internet provider if not.

Any update on the connection status?
    Considering going for a wireless internet provider  if not.
    Hello pawrick

Thank you for taking my call - Once I have an update I will be in touch with you right away.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hello pawrick

Thank you for taking my call - Once I have an update I will be in touch with you right away.

Thanks
    Al

Any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hello pawrick

Thanks
    Al

Any updates?
    Hi pawrick

Its Colm here, Al is out of the office until Monday and I don't have the account/ order no unfortunately. If you Pm me this I will search for an update,

thanks
    Colm

Hi,

Not to be too much of a pain seeking updates as I know you are the customer services people and not the ones responcible but I'm completely in the dark as to time frames on having poles put in place and have been since my original request to eircom in January. As it is I have been waiting 6 months for some sort of definitive answer and probably will not be requiring the same service plans as originally requested because of these delays and having to find alternatives while waiting. Some sort of time frame for customers would be of huge benefit.

thanks

Hi,

Not to be too much of a pain seeking updates as I know you are the customer services people and not the ones responcible but I'm completely in the dark as to time frames on having poles put in place and have been since my original request to eircom in January. As it is I have been waiting 6 months for some sort of definitive answer and probably will not be requiring the same service plans as originally requested because of these delays and having to find alternatives while waiting. Some sort of time frame for customers would be of huge benefit.

thanks

Hi pawrick

I fully understand your feelings on this, being left in the dark on matters like this is never helpful. I have once again requested an update from our network operations crews and as soon as I have an update from them I will be back in touch with you right away.

Thanks
    Al

Hi again. Received a call yesterday from someone who was due to connect the line to the house. He said he phoned as there was a note on the file to say planning permission refused and wanted to check what was refused before calling out. As there are still no poles I assume that's what it referred to. He said he would pass it back to the office to follow up on. So any idea whats happening now or if refused what the next steps are? Area is not protected scenic etc so not sure why it would be refused. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi again. Received a call yesterday from someone who was due to connect the line to the house. He said he phoned as there was a note on the file to say planning permission refused and wanted to check what was refused before calling out. As there are still no poles I assume that's what it referred to. He said he would pass it back to the office to follow up on. So any idea whats happening now or if refused what the next steps are? Area is not protected scenic etc so not sure why it would be refused. Thanks
    Hi pawrick

I am afraid I do not have any information readily at my disposal here. I have sent a note to Managers in charge of installation here looking for an update and once I get a response I will advise you here.

thanks
    Colm

7 months waiting - any update on what is happening, was planning permission refused or is there a reason for this delay. 

The main reason I am in need of the line is for an internet connection, if it is not possible I can try wireless providers however I would prefer to have a fixed line provider.

I'm also inquiring with comreq to see if they have any procedures or can assist in getting information.

Please reply by PM for my records.

thanks

7 months waiting - any update on what is happening, was planning permission refused or is there a reason for this delay. 

The main reason I am in need of the line is for an internet connection, if it is not possible I can try wireless providers however I would prefer to have a fixed line provider.

I'm also inquiring with comreq to see if they have any procedures or can assist in getting information.

Please reply by PM for my records.

thanks

Hi pawrick

I am genuinely sorry for this delay, when new poles, new cabling & planning permission is required new line orders can unfortunately take much longer than expected to install however as you mentioned 7 months is a very long time. I have again escalated this to our planning and works management units for clarification on the current position and I've also requested escalation noting your urgency. As soon as we have more information we will let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

Thank you Alan, it is the lack of information which is annoying and the lack of communication internally within eircom as demonstrated by the amount of visits I've had to connect the line. I understand you in customer services can only relay information if it is given to you.

Thank you Alan, it is the lack of information which is annoying and the lack of communication internally within eircom as demonstrated by the amount of visits I've had to connect the line. I understand you in customer services can only relay information if it is given to you.

Hi pawrick

Thank you for your patience, the latest information I have received is that the local council has rejected licence for the poles. The council requested that the poles be moved to a nearby farmers field however the Farmer has also rejected this and does not want poled on his private property. This has now been escalated to the head of fixed line planning for a replan. I have not seen a case like this before so it's very difficult for me to offer a timeframe at this stage. I can assure you that I will continue to chase this up however everything is dependant of the circumstance of planning permissions from the local council.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

i
    Hi pawrick
    Alan asked me to follow up on this. We have asked that you receive a call from technical crew there and I have been advised that this has been made. I hope that the answer at least offers full clarity and apologies we could not do more in this case.
    Tony

Thanks Tony/Alan, 

Yes I received a phone call which clarified the matter for me. Planning permission was refused as they want a pole (maybe all) moved 2 meters in to the field off the road. The guy said he would look at the planning again for me but realistically it looks like a no go for the work involved to get what maybe equal to a dial up service from what he described due to the way the line loops from the main road away from my house before coming back. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks Tony/Alan, 

Yes I received a phone call which clarified the matter for me. Planning permission was refused as they want a pole (maybe all) moved 2 meters in to the field off the road. The guy said he would look at the planning again for me but realistically it looks like a no go for the work involved to get what maybe equal to a dial up service from what he described due to the way the line loops from the main road away from my house before coming back. 
    That was my impression also. Thanks for getting back pawrick.
    Tony

Advertisement