Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain Offer

• 30-12-2013 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I got offered a teaching position in Spain. The position is 20 hours per week at 900 euro a month. Is it possible to survive on that in Madrid?

I was browsing some rooms to rent and they fair out at about 200 euro a month plus bills.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

I got offered a teaching position in Spain. The position is 20 hours per week at 900 euro a month. Is it possible to survive on that in Madrid?

I was browsing some rooms to rent and they fair out at about 200 euro a month plus bills.

I wouldn't go near it. 20 hours is pretty much fulltime for a teacher. Remember when they say 20 hours that means 20 contact hours - it does not include preparation / correction / travelling etc. Most people I know teaching english in Madrid would be taking in 20e an hour - sometimes more if you have to travel far, sometimes slightly less if you are doing block hours. But definitely not about 8euro an hour like you are being offered. The language schools charge their students really high fees so, as you are doing most of the work, you should expect to paid well.

Language schools love taking advantage of foreign teachers who are new to Madrid. Don't jump into anything. Go over first and take some time to assess your options (trust me you will have options). Don't just take the first offer that comes your way.

This website is useful and some employers advertise on it:http://www.lingobongo.com/madrid/en/

200euro a month for rent will probably get you a box room with no windows sharing a place with 7 others in a bad area. Realistically you will be paying €350 with bills on top. 400 a month including bills would get you something decent that you would enjoy living in.

Advertisement