Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poly Greenhouse UV protection?

• 30-12-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭

One of the windows of my greenhouse were blown out in the bad weather a few days ago.
    I put it back in yesterday and superglued the edges so its not coming back out easily.
    The window is made of plastic. However, there is a problem, one of the sides has a uv coating and the other doesnt. In the sun today it is painfully obvious that I put the pane back in the wrong way (it has a totally different shine than the other ones). As its superglued in place and was a bit of job to put back in I am not inclined to try and get it out and reverse it.

Does anyone know if there is a UV paint or film I could apply on the outside to protect it against the stronger summer sun thats not super expensive?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I don't know of such a product but I've read plenty about people putting blown out panels back in the wrong way. They go cloudy, then brittle and then just break up. I know it's a pain but I'd take it out and reverse it. Maybe there is a solvent for the superglue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, I'll have to think about it, it wasn't one of the square panels which would have been easier to get out, and i really went to town on the superglue. So that would be a last ditch measure.
    I've seen repair tape on ebay for polytunnels that is UV treated, maybe i could stuck some of that accross it?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Good idea, didn't think of that.

Advertisement