Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using an iPhone 4 as a mobile hotspot

• 30-12-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I gave my Dad an old iPhone 4 I had lying around. He is currently on o2 prepaid spending about €20 pm, he has a Nexus 7 and would like to be able to tehter to it and use it on the move.

Does anyone have any experience with prepaid plans that include data that can be shared as a mobile hotspot? Doesn't have to be 02, but would prefer if it was as the rest of the family are o2 so its free to call them.

I had a look at the o2 website and its not clear if the data can be used as a hotspot or if its just on the phone itself.
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Do it fine on 48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

No issues on Three either. €20 for unlimited data, afaik.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zcott wrote: »
    No issues on Three either. €20 for unlimited data, afaik.

Tethering is against their T&Cs on prepay anyway. They seem to have figured out a way to stop iPhones doing it, AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

whiterebel wrote: »
    Tethering is against their T&Cs on prepay anyway. They seem to have figured out a way to stop iPhones doing it, AFAIK

Don't allow it on billpay either apparently ->http://ask3.three.ie/srvs/cgi-bin/webisapi.dll/,/?new,kb=ROIWebportal,ts=ROIWeb,t=CaseDoc.tem,case=obj(9304),varset_username=ROIWeb:ROIWebUser

Any workarounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

whiterebel wrote: »

Really? My wife pays €20 a month to topup with no issues. When she switched to Three we asked if tethering was allowed and they said yes.

• Advertisement

Really? My wife pays €20 a month to topup with no issues. When she switched to Three we asked if tethering was allowed and they said yes.

Yeah I've just tried it now and it works fine? ..maybe that was an outdated page I linked to above.. Can't go wrong with €20/month for unlimited data!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

According to Three, has never been allowed on 3Pay, and not on new contracts since Jan 2012. If it works on 3Pay work away, but I wouldn't be signing contracts on the basis you need to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

It will work three wont do nothing about it either so wouldnt worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Piliger wrote: »
    Do it fine on 48.

Wow I didn't know it could be used on 48.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Three don't seen to care for some reason. Would they be even able to tell without catching you red handed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Networks can tell as my old employer found out with a hefty bill from Vodafone for a couple of MB used for a remote session in a meeting one day.
    O2 don't charge afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They use a different APN for tethering. EMobile don't charge extra and O2 used to. Not sure if that has changed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Networks can tell as my old employer found out with a hefty bill from Vodafone for a couple of MB used for a remote session in a meeting one day.
    O2 don't charge afaik

Yes they do, as I found out with a similar hefty bill for a few MBs. Got them to scrap it after a row. I was using it without charge on a jailbroken iPhone but they were onto me as soon as I un-jailbroke it. I'm on billpay, if that makes a difference. It's difficult to find any info on the O2 website. Maybe it depends on the phone as to whether they can tell how you're using your data. I wouldn't risk it without calling. It's a total joke really. You should be able to use the data you pay for any way you like.

jakdublin wrote: »
    Yes they do, as I found out with a similar hefty bill for a few MBs. Got them to scrap it after a row. I was using it without charge on a jailbroken iPhone but they were onto me as soon as I un-jailbroke it. I'm on billpay, if that makes a difference. It's difficult to find any info on the O2 website. Maybe it depends on the phone as to whether they can tell how you're using your data. I wouldn't risk it without calling. It's a total joke really. You should be able to use the data you pay for any way you like.

Was that on billpay yeah?

I'm on three with €20/month PAYG for unlimited data... if they found out they wouldn't charge me extra for tethering would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

O2 don't charge afaik

didnt think they could tell. im on prepay anyway so they cant really do much except cut me off. and i cant really seeing them cutting a customer off. different for billpay though as you are contracted to them and have agreed not to use tethering so they can probably charge you a hefty sum.

Advertisement