Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy retro PC games?

Options
  • 30-12-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'm interested in buying 80s and 90s big box PC games but I can't seem to find many sources in Ireland. Ebay is easy but it's at an Ebay premium prices.

I've exhausted adverts.ie and I'm yet to find a retailer in Dublin. Anyone got any recommendations about where I might be able to find some?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

If there are particular games you want use the "wanted" section of adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

I posted on Adverts and someone kindly recommended that I check out the Merchant's Market by the O2 Arena. I think they reopen on January 5th so I'll have a look there.

I'm guessing car boot sales might be an open also where you have people offload old (but mostly newer) PC game collections.

Apart from these I'm not sure. Any other ideas please?

Anyone got any other suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The various CeX stores might be good for a punt. I'm pretty sure I saw 90s era PC games there the last time I was in the one in the Square for instance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually, if you go to Bookmart and Gamesexchange on Talbot St, down before the railway bridge, they have a wall of big box PC games.
    And, if you are buying a few, they are pretty good on discounts.
    Well worth a visit.

• Advertisement

I still read that all these years later as Game Sex Change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Achilles wrote: »
    I still read that all these years later as Game Sex Change.

While thinking of the over 70 cast members of Coronation Street no doubt....

You betcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

I picked up a set of 3 murder mystery ones at a charity shop, up for trade, I'll post picture once I get home tomorrow. Here a link 2 one of them.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_a_Killing_Moon

Alway try charity shops, u can find anything.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Actually, if you go to Bookmart and Gamesexchange on Talbot St, down before the railway bridge, they have a wall of big box PC games.
    And, if you are buying a few, they are pretty good on discounts.
    Well worth a visit.

Thanks! I'll definitely drop down and see what they have!

Also thanks for the suggestion about CeX (Sex?? obnoxious though memorable) in Tallaght. They only seem to stock newer titles in DVD style cases.

Under a Killing Moon is a true classic. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

DeLaTroY wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll definitely drop down and see what they have!

Also thanks for the suggestion about CeX (Sex?? obnoxious though memorable) in Tallaght. They only seem to stock newer titles in DVD style cases.

Under a Killing Moon is a true classic. Enjoy!
    Getting a 95 game running is a fun project was lucky and found the other to part complete in the trilogy, hoping it's only a trilogy lol, it was a good day lol.

Flaregon wrote: »
    Getting a 95 game running is a fun project was lucky and found the other to part complete in the trilogy, hoping it's only a trilogy lol, it was a good day lol.

Under a Killing Moon in a charity shop is a great find!! Which shop did you find it in out of curiosity? I went into 4 or 5 different charity shops today and all I found was an interactive media title called "The Road Ahead" by Bill Gates! The shop keeper in Oxfam said it's rare to get in big box pc games.

I'm thinking car boot sales are probably a better choice where mothers / fathers are selling off entire old collections though even still, I'd expect them to be quite uncommon to find.

If you want to play the older stuff I think you really should be building an old PC from the era for an authentic experience. That or I'm just being overly anal and or super annoying!

DeLaTroY wrote: »
    Under a Killing Moon in a charity shop is a great find!! Which shop did you find it in out of curiosity? I went into 4 or 5 different charity shops today and all I found was an interactive media title called "The Road Ahead" by Bill Gates! The shop keeper in Oxfam said it's rare to get in big box pc games.

I'm thinking car boot sales are probably a better choice where mothers / fathers are selling off entire old collections though even still, I'd expect them to be quite uncommon to find.

If you want to play the older stuff I think you really should be building an old PC from the era for an authentic experience. That or I'm just being overly anal and or super annoying!

a Vincents in clondalkin, quite rare but it happens that u find some once and a while.

Flaregon wrote: »
    a Vincents in clondalkin, quite rare but it happens that u find some once and a while.

Cant edit it in on my phone lol

Very nice. Pandora Directive there is easily the pick of the three!

I checked out Bookmart and Gamesexchange on Talbot St today. He only had around 5 big box games: Cannon Fodder 2, Links 486 and some beat up flight simulators. I guess I'm down to car boots and charity shops at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retro PC game collecting is one of the last frontiers of videogame collecting. In Europe and the US, folks aren't really interested in them at all. I find them in recycling plants now the same way I used to find old console games in such places.

Interesting when you compare it to the likes of the Japanese X68000.

So it's definitely a good time to start buying them up, they go for peanuts, unless they happen to be some rare grandaddy of a modern popular franchise of course.

It's a bit of an odd one alright. You'd be surprised at some of the prices that games can fetch. I'd say its niche and much less popular than console collecting for sure but the prices seem to be fairly well developed at least on Ebay though Ebay can be the most expensive place you can buy on:

For instance here's 90s FPS PC titles that sold on Ebay.

80s text based and point and click adventure games are probably most sought after.

Most of the stuff is worth next to nothing. No clue if it'll ever change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The packaging was really good on PC games back in the 90's. I can see the appeal of collecting them. Buy It Now prices are always silly on ebay I'd keep an eye out for Auctions there's bound to be some overlooked listings that go for peanuts.

Advertisement