Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19 games down 19 to go mid term report on the Premier League Thread

• 30-12-2013 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

oh35zm.jpg

Who's going to finish top, in the CL places, who gets the EL booby prize, who's going down?

How has your team done and is it better, worse or about what you expected?

Top league winners will be Manchester City unless they do something monumentally stupid. The rest of the CL 4 is hard to call we all know the runners and riders and their various strengths/weaknesses. The team that buys best in January may well have the greatest advantage of the chasing pack.

As for relegation - anyone from Swansea down is vulnerable, but I'll go with Fulham who look doomed with WBA and Sunderland as both have a stinking second half match programme.

Liverpool

A bit better than expected with the proviso its a bit seat of the pants at times, the squad needs bolstering but given the tough away fixtures are nearly all done with I'd be hopeful of a strong enough second half to finish in the top 4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think anyone from Hull down could be in danger.

Anyway I'm happy enough with where Chelsea are, still in touch even though we're severely lacking a good CF.

6 goals of 35 from our CFs is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't include Hull as I think that they are strong enough to survive on the evidence so far, they only need a proper striker to be a real shock I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Depends if Chelsea get a quality striker and holding mid, but I think they'll run City all the way. I think Chelsea are the only big team City have played away. They have to go to the rest of the top eight. Chelsea's results at home, if not performances, have almost been as good as City's.

I think United will edge out Liverpool to fourth.

I wasn't convinced by Poyet's appointment but from what I've seen recently, they'll be fine. Villa, Fulham and Cardiff would be the ones for me.

West Ham look really short on results,not having a CF is killing them too so unless they get a good loan or buy in January I can see them fighting out relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

If we (Arsenal) can hold our team together without being crippled by injuries, or at least strengthen our squad to the point where we can survive a spate of injuries, and our form doesn't go down the toilet for some reason or other, I think we'll win the league.

I expect we can't, however, so City probably will. If Chelsea strengthen up front and Mourinho gets his **** together (in the sense that they get some shadow of his old solidity back), they'll be a threat too. Nobody else is a realistic contender.

Relegation will be Sunderland plus two. Not Palace, unfortunately, as that horrible creature they recently put in charge has magic powers in that respect. Cardiff, very likely, and West Ham.

Pool and Everton will give the CL spots a good run, but I think Utd will scrape back in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mike65 wrote: »
    oh35zm.jpg

Who's going to finish top, in the CL places, who gets the EL booby prize, who's going down?

How has your team done and is it better, worse or about what you expected?

Top league winners will be Manchester City unless they do something monumentally stupid. The rest of the CL 4 is hard to call we all know the runners and riders and their various strengths/weaknesses. The team that buys best in January may well have the greatest advantage of the chasing pack.

As for relegation - anyone from Swansea down is vulnerable, but I'll go with Fulham who look doomed with WBA and Sunderland as both have a stinking second half match programme.

Liverpool

A bit better than expected with the proviso its a bit seat of the pants at times, the squad needs bolstering but given the tough away fixtures are nearly all done with I'd be hopeful of a strong enough second half to finish in the top 4.

Liverpool have lost all big games they needed to at least get points in (Arsenal, City and Chelsea) They will finish 7th at best

Chelsea need a CF and it'll be them or City for the title imo. I think arsenal will finish 3/4th.

Utd, Everton or Liverpool for the other spot. I'd make Utd favourites for that going on squad strengths.

Liverpool have lost all big games they needed to at least get points in (Arsenal, City and Chelsea) They will finish 7th at best

This is very silly IMO. They are where they are, and everyone has to play the others again. They have a slightly easier schedule, in fact. Individual results in previous games don't really matter. What matters is how many points they have now, and what games lie ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay having got that off your chest how about talking about your side? :)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Chelsea need a CF and it'll be them or City for the title imo. I think arsenal will finish 3/4th.

Utd, Everton or Liverpool for the other spot. I'd make Utd favourites for that going on squad strengths.

I know yours is hardly an uncommon opinion regarding Arsenal, but I'd be interested to here the why? Our second half of seasons of late have been excellent, we've been extremely good this season to date, and some of our biggest goal threats have just returned to us (Walcott and Podolski, two of our top scorers last year).

I only really ask for your opinion as you seem a fairly rational poster and I'm wondering what your reasoning is.

• Advertisement

Liverpool destroyed Spurs away, and were unlucky against City and us not to get at least a draw.

Arguably they could have won the City game as Sterling and Couthino both missed great chances, more so Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

All those games where away from home . How many teams have gone to the etihad in the last year and walked away without receiving a hiding ? Chelsea at Stamford bridge is always tough too . Against arsenal we where set up tactically wrong but by the time we where re organised the damage was done !

Of the top eight, Liverpool only have to go to Old Trafford. They have the best player in the league. To suggest they won't challenge for fourth is madness.

Whatever about Giroud being good enough or not, he's been played to death and his form is suffering. I wonder if they'll be willing to spend some more on another option. Be a heck of an effort to do it without one.

rosskind wrote: »
    Of the top eight, Liverpool only have to go to Old Trafford. They have the best player in the league. To suggest they won't challenge for fourth is madness.

Whatever about Giroud being good enough or not, he's been played to death and his form is suffering. I wonder if they'll be willing to spend some more on another option. Be a heck of an effort to do it without one.

They've Podolski and Walcott coming back to full fitness so I'd say Giroud will get rested at some stage, probably for Podolski.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I truly believe the ball is firmly in Liverpool's court when it comes to finishing in the top4.
    and no excuses if we dont.

out of those who set out to get top4 or higher we only have Utd away.

yes we coulda shoulda got more points over the Christmas, but if we dont lose against those below us, and nick a point or three against those currently above us then it should be enough.

our squad but is suffering bad with injuries so an already important Jan window has just become critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

As a Chelsea fan, after watching the first half against Liverpool yesterday, I think we could have a very interesting second half to the season. Still reserving judgement though. Man City look very strong though and our away game against them will be very interesting. Still unsure about Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Sad state of affairs with United even LOI fan thinks we've dropped from "big game status, lost 1-0 at Anfield" Feck ya anyway Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Newcastle United

Strange one. They are perform ing above my pre season expectations, and yet, they are playing at a level that I knew we were capable of, all along. I think seventh position would be a fine season for us. I'd rather not have the Europa League next season, it destroyed our league campaign last time as our squad has little depth.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They've Podolski and Walcott coming back to full fitness so I'd say Giroud will get rested at some stage, probably for Podolski.

True. And if Mertesacker and Koscielny keep up their good form, they won't need to be firing in the goals City-style. Hopefully Ozil and Ramsey, now that they're getting a bit of a rest, and Cazorla, now that he's getting match sharpness, can get back to their best and keep them in the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

4th place will all depend on who strengthens appropriately in the transfer window.

Everton need another midfielder, winger and a striker. Of the 3 positions a striker is the most important as cover for lukaku.

IMO liverpool need a midfielder or 2 and a centre half. Skertel and sakho are too error prone.

Utd badly need a midfielder or 2 and possibly a right full.

Spurs need glue to make the super squad gel!!

For what it's worth I think Everton will be 5th-6th with utd 4th and city winning the league by 6 points minimum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

The league is strange this year as I think there is a massive gap in quality between the top 8/9 and the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chelsea won't win it unless they get a firing CF.

if they had any of City's 3 main strikers they'd be heavy favourites IMO.

SlickRic wrote: »

100% agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

after last seasons bore fest , title race was over this time last year - this season has been all about whats great about British football (can't say English now) - Hull have been the surprise package , if they could replace Graham with a decent striker - barring massive investment in January , i see Cardiff going down - can't see Fulham staying up - and the last place is a lottery between Sunderland, Stoke, Norwich, WBA and Palace - title race is between Chelsea and City - if my own team can keep up the early season momentum, a CL spot is ther to be had - fancy Spurs to finish good & challenge also - mid term report - excellent season so far, if the second half is as good, happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Newcastle United

Strange one. They are perform ing above my pre season expectations, and yet, they are playing at a level that I knew we were capable of, all along. I think seventh position would be a fine season for us. I'd rather not have the Europa League next season, it destroyed our league campaign last time as our squad has little depth.
    Fair enough, but if top 4 isn't on the cards for the foreseeable future, what exactly are you playing for if not for Europe? Playing for 5th is so much more appealing than 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Usually around this time it's people writing off arsenals chances of getting 4th spot. This year is 1st spot, that's progress right there.

Would put city favourites. I'm not convinced by Chelsea. Arsenal need to strengthen but I'm 99% sure they won't. United are putting together a run of form but I'd fancy Liverpool to finish above them with the Suarez effect. My guess is...

1. City
    2/3 . Arsenal/Chelsea (not sure what order)
    4. Pool
    5. United

The only thing I'd be fairly confident of there really is city in 1st place. Everyone else is pure guessing.

I know yours is hardly an uncommon opinion regarding Arsenal, but I'd be interested to here the why? Our second half of seasons of late have been excellent, we've been extremely good this season to date, and some of our biggest goal threats have just returned to us (Walcott and Podolski, two of our top scorers last year).

I only really ask for your opinion as you seem a fairly rational poster and I'm wondering what your reasoning is.

I just think the better and bigger squads of City and Chelsea will finish above Arsenal. I don't think Arsenal will be far away mind but I just think the other two will find more especially when Champions league and the FA cup start up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

CSF wrote: »
    Fair enough, but if top 4 isn't on the cards for the foreseeable future, what exactly are you playing for if not for Europe? Playing for 5th is so much more appealing than 7th.

I understand the allure of the EL, playing in Europe is a great privledge, but it wrecked our league campaign last year as we don't have the funds to bolster the squad to compete on four fronts. I see the choice for nufc being between competing in the EL and accepting mid table or worse next year, or having a very respectable season this year, making a few good signings in the summer as a platform to better things next year. I just don't think we are ready for europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I understand the allure of the EL, playing in Europe is a great privledge, but it wrecked our league campaign last year as we don't have the funds to bolster the squad to compete on four fronts. I see the choice for nufc being between competing in the EL and accepting mid table or worse next year, or having a very respectable season this year, making a few good signings in the summer as a platform to better things next year. I just don't think we are ready for europe.
    What are the platform for better things next year though? Without Europe at all, Newcastle will never be able to sign the players required to make a real push at top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

As a gooner i'm happy with our PL so far this year, although I'm still a bit annoyed that we didn't take the plunge and go for a top level striker to give us that extra bit we need. Overall I think we'll finish second to City, having said that they've quite a few hard away games in the second half of the season so I still have a small hope. I imagine chelsea will finish third - or beat us to 2nd and leave us third. The battle for 4th will certainly be intriguing, Liverpool have really surprised me in a good way this year, destroying the weaker teams, being ruthless. But then a performance like the one vs Hull comes along and its like "oooh". I would like them or everton to get the last CL spot. I do suspect that united will sneak it.

I just think the better and bigger squads of City and Chelsea will finish above Arsenal. I don't think Arsenal will be far away mind but I just think the other two will find more especially when Champions league and the FA cup start up again.

Fair enough with regard to City, I wouldn't really agree that Chelsea have a better squad. Our first team is much stronger IMO, and while we have a little less depth I don't think the gap is very wide in that regard.

In midfield we have Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey, Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky, Walcott, Wilshere, Podolski, Gnabry, and Chamberlain to come back too. Besides the last two names all are undoubtedly very good options. Up front we've our main weakness, but Chelsea are not great there either (and in this season so far even worse than us). Our first choice back five is yet to lose a game when they play together (that is, ever, when they've played the full game), and in Vermaelen and Monreal we have two solid backups, with Jenkinson decent too. Our keeper has been fantastic so far too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Excellent cast sir, you really managed to reel in a good haul :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal will go through a big dip in form at some stage IMO, it's all been rosey so far for them.

If Chelsea don't sign a striker in January they can kiss the league goodbye IMO barring an injury crises at City and Arsenal.

I can't really predict anything for United, going on the first half of the season it's looking pretty bleak. The performances are more worrying than our league position, RVP, Vidic, Nani, Fellaini and Raf still have to come back fully fit and possible signings in January though, you have to assume we'll at least be better than our first half showing based on this. People say we are "only X points off such and such and we are playing shíte" and that teams should be worried about us hitting form but we could not hit form at all this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

As a City fan, I'm relatively pleased with their position when you consider their poor away form earlier on in the season. Its good to see Hart regaining some form, but the defence does need improvement, as they are a much diminished side without either Kompany, or Toure..the transfer window will be interesting, to say the least. I can't see Arsenal topping the league, as they have been found out a bit by the stronger clubs-as points dropped vs Everton, Liverpool and ourselves have shown. If Chelsea's goalscoring improves, they will be hard to beat in the long run, city's poor away form will probably ruin their chances,but hopefully not!

daithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

They battered us yesterday in large parts of the game without a credible striker, our bleeding luck like. :rolleyes:

Liverpool: annoyed over the last two results but that's purely because the team had performed pretty much past expectations until then.

Top 4 still in our hands if we're good enough.

• Advertisement

daithi1970 wrote: »
    As a City fan, I'm relatively pleased with their position when you consider their poor away form earlier on in the season. Its good to see Hart regaining some form, but the defence does need improvement, as they are a much diminished side without either Kompany, or Toure..the transfer window will be interesting, to say the least. I can't see Arsenal topping the league, as they have been found out a bit by the stronger clubs-as points dropped vs Everton, Liverpool and ourselves have shown. If Chelsea's goalscoring improves, they will be hard to beat in the long run, city's poor away form will probably ruin their chances,but hopefully not!

daithi

We beat Liverpool handily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think Walcott if he stays fit could win Arsenal the league. Arsenal are a tough one to call. Either champions or a fight for fourth for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

We beat Liverpool handily?

sorry, I meant Chelsea:o

d

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

LFC being 6 points off top with all our hard away games over.I know I would have been happy with that at the start of the season.

Plus I think the fact that the everyone is so upset about our recent losses to two of the best teams in the league shows how far we've come.

Top four is ours to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

May have lost the last 2 games which were made even harder being back to back around Christmas with a thin squad (the bench in particular cost us badly when chasing the game) but I am pleased with the season so far. Don't give a monkeys about the very unrealistic title challange I just want to be in any spot in the top 4. Need Gerrard & Sturridge to return, a few signings and no more performances like Hull and Southampton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Arsenal are hit and miss but the result against West Ham put some of doubts to bed. That was a game last season they would have lost.

City. Is as simple as this. Once Joe Hart does not cost City points city will win league. Cost them close to double figures I say.

Chelsea. If they don't buy goalscorer I think they might struggle and might be big team to fall. At same time if they go on run no reason why they can't give league a rattle.

Liverpool. To me they have been 2nd best team in league. I will be shocked if they finish outside top 5. If Suarez stays fit they have a chance at title. Will need buy January.

Everton. Think they will decent run going but will finish 6th.

United. Deserve to be where we are. Could easily have lost last 2 games too. No creativity is costing us big. We need buy competition for Evra and Cm in Jan if we can. I think we will be thereabouts come may and we will get top 4.

LFC being 6 points off top with all our hard away games over.I know I would have been happy with that at the start of the season.

Plus I think the fact that the everyone is so upset about our recent losses to two of the best teams in the league shows how far we've come.

Top four is ours to lose.

I honestly don't buy into this. Liverpool have 1, maybe 2 less 'hard' away games remaining compared to Everton, spurs and united. All of which means that the other 3 have an easier home run!

Gavlor wrote: »
    I honestly don't buy into this. Liverpool have 1, maybe 2 less 'hard' away games remaining compared to Everton, spurs and united. All of which means that the other 3 have an easier home run!

I think you agreed with his point tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

My prediction is

1st city
    2nd arsenal
    3rd Chelsea
    4th united
    5th/6th Everton / Liverpool

Think Liverpool will slip up as they are overly reliant on Luis and the squad is not strong enough to cover injuries and suspensions that are due to happen, united should improve once they get a cm in January

I think you agreed with his point tbh.

They obviously have slightly fewer away games vs top 7 seven than the other 3 clubs But I don't think it'll make as much of a difference as a lot of Liverpool fans do.

They obviously have slightly fewer away games than the other 3 clubs But I don't think it'll make as much of a difference as a lot of Liverpool fans do.

I think his point is that of the current top 7/8 (I think), Liverpool have played them all away from home bar Utd.

You're right, it might not make much difference but you can understand why a fan might be more confident of getting a result versus a team at home rather than away surely?

I think his point is that of the current top 7/8 (I think), Liverpool have played them all away from home bar Utd.

You're right, it might not make much difference but you can understand why a fan might be more confident of getting a result versus a team at home rather than away surely?

I can see it, but liverpool have really benefited from an easier home run this season. I'm not so sure that will be replicated against the likes of Chelsea, city & arsenal and I'm also not convinced that they will reproduce the anfield performances v the likes of west ham etc away.

At least I hope they don't :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Heavy favorites is a bit of a stretch considering how impressive City are! City still dominate and control games the best by a good margin, Chelsea having a top level striker wouldn't help them in that regard. They'd be a much better team for sure but City would still be comfortably better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Absolutely, bit it is looking like a lot of teams could be in relegation battle and it's far tougher playing these teams away than at home in April/May.

It's swings and roundabouts for me and I am surprised at how much people are reading into it.

I can see it, but liverpool have really benefited from an easier home run this season. I'm not so sure that will be replicated against the likes of Chelsea, city & arsenal and I'm also not convinced that they will reproduce the anfield performances v the likes of west ham etc away.

At least I hope they don't :D

I think Liverpool's away form v the lower teams will be the difference in a top 4 place or not tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement