Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19 games down 19 to go mid term report on the Premier League Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Gavlor wrote: »
    They obviously have slightly fewer away games vs top 7 seven than the other 3 clubs But I don't think it'll make as much of a difference as a lot of Liverpool fans do.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think his point is that of the current top 7/8 (I think), Liverpool have played them all away from home bar Utd.

You're right, it might not make much difference but you can understand why a fan might be more confident of getting a result versus a team at home rather than away surely?

rarnes has explained what I was saying perfectly. There was a table doing the rounds yesterday which showed who had played who out of the " top " teams.

The only "top" team we've to play at away is Utd.

Our last two games were "homers" in terms of certain decisions. I'm not cribbing about it, thats football. Things may not go so badly in the second half of the season.

ronjo wrote: »
    Absolutely, bit it is looking like a lot of teams could be in relegation battle and it's far tougher playing these teams away than at home in April/May.

It's swings and roundabouts for me and I am surprised at how much people are reading into it.

I don't think there's too many Liverpool fans reading much into it tbh. I know I'm not. Facebook doesn't count!

Any Liverpool fans I know think it'll be a big ask to get top 4 this season and see ourselves as outsiders for it. To be in the mix at the halfway stage is what all would have hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't think there's too many Liverpool fans reading much into it tbh. I know I'm not. Facebook doesn't count!

Any Liverpool fans I know think it'll be a big ask to get top 4 this season and see ourselves as outsiders for it. To be in the mix at the halfway stage is what all would have hoped for.

Perhaps you are right but I saw it mentioned a few times here.
    One Arsenal fan said his Liverpool supporting mate was arguing with him that Pool were in a better position then Arsenal.

Another fan asked genuinely (or so he said) on the Arsenal board whose position would we prefer to be in because of the fixtures??? Complete nonsense

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

One Arsenal fan said his Liverpool supporting mate was arguing with him that Pool were in a better position then Arsenal.

Inception?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Personally think Liverpool having the top teams away and weaker teams at home has suited them much more than the other way around will. They've been able to keep pace and build confidence by hammering the smaller teams. Will be much harder having those teams away breaking momentum and it's not as if they're going to go in as strong favs vs City, Chelsea or Arsenal at home.

Perhaps you are right but I saw it mentioned a few times here.

Another fan asked genuinely (or so he said) on the Arsenal board whose position would we prefer to be in because of the fixtures??? Complete nonsense

That's just silly.

Points on the board is always better.

Not to mention Arsenals superior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland

Woeful start to the campaign, but a huge improvement under Poyet all things considered. We're 12th in the form league since he took over with 7 of his 12 games being away from home.

The only thing that might work in our favour is our home games between now and the end of the season. Villa, Southampton, Stoke, Hull, WBA, Palace, West Ham, Everton, Cardiff and Swansea all visit the Stadium of Light, but you can just about write off almost all of our away games, meaning we probably have to win 6 or 7 of those home games to have any chance.

Probably a step too far I'd imagine and we're a Ki injury away from certain relegation anyway.

Very happy to give Poyet time to rebuild and try to get us promoted if we do drop though. He's one of the only positives of a grim season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sunderland are only a win away from getting out of the drop zone - much better to be in form now , than sinking like norwich, fulham, cardiff and stoke - the recent games i've seen them play i think they look decent - barring another bad run i'd expect them to stay up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

1- City
    2- Arsenal
    3- Chelsea
    4- Liverpool
    5- Utd
    6- Everton

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Liverpool have lost all big games they needed to at least get points in (Arsenal, City and Chelsea) They will finish 7th at best

Remembering this for the end of season when LFC finish higher and hopefully top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arsenal fan: Happy

I think we need a big signing preferably a striker someone that will lift the squad like the ozil signing did if we want to win the league. I think we have a great chance at the league not sure weLl win it though.

Chelsea: in a great position, they just need a centreback and a striker which they will buy in January, definitely title contenders.

Man city: probably favourites for the league imo.

United: started too poor to win the league but should finish 3rd or 4th, I think their squad is too big and good to finish outside top 4.

Everton, Liverpool, spurs: it'll be tight which order they'll finish and the transfer window will be key. Liverpool have the Suarez factor though but over all I think their squad is worse than spurs and evertons especially in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Newcastle:

What's been good;

- 5 away wins, plenty of goals scored, good spirit in the side after some disastrous displays early on.

- Debuchy's performances, arguably the best RB in the league on form right now.

- Mike Williamson, he was a figure of dread for us(think whenever Paul McShane is on the field for Ireland), he's arguably been our best defender this year and we've looked very solid.

- Anita growing into the EPL and looking a very tidy and smart footballer.

- Tiote playing more like his early form. Giving him the armband for a while really seemed to mature him.

- Cabaye's performances should ensure a nice fee for him when he moves on(sooner or later)

- Man Utd 0 Newcastle 1. Joyous, wonderful day.

- We generally play nice football and keep it on the deck. It's shown in our results.

What's been bad:

- Sunderland 2 Newcastle 1

- We're mining false gold upfront. No signs we will be keeping Remy and when he leaves what then? Where do our goals come from? He's not suited to a lone striker role either.

- The fact Shola 'no goals' Ameobi still plays regularly. I love the man but **** me he is ****.

- Not signing anyone in the summer.

- Not signing anyone in January(we won't, trust me)

- How thin our squad is.

- The fact Gabriel Obertan is employed by Newcastle United.

- The fact Joe Kinnear is employed by Newcastle United.

- The fact Mike Ashley owns Newcastle United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arsenal fan: Very Happy and surprised.

I think we have an outside chance to win the league but we do need to buy a quality striker to ensure we are there abouts come the end of the season.

In reality if Chelsea strengthen then they and City are favourites to lift the trophy although Citys defense have not impressed me at all.

I believe if Liverpool can keep Suarez fit and out of trouble that they will get fourth spot.

I believe its then between Everton, Spurs and United for the next three spots.

My Heart season end top 4.
    1. Arsenal
    2. City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool

My Head season end top 4.
    1.City
    2.Chelsea
    3.Arsenal
    4.Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Man United

Overall its been a pretty dire first half of the season in terms of performance level, injury and points totals (not to mention goals scored)

Hopefully with players coming back to fitness and a couple of decent additions in January we can make a late title surge but I think most of us would be happy to ensure CL qualification for next season while improving the performance level on the field and style of play the team is adopting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Liverpool.

I'm very happy overall.

I never expected us to to be 1 point off fourth let alone 6 points off the leaders.

Our attack has been our biggest threat for quite some time but as it showed against City and Chelsea, if Suarez gets marked out of it then we struggle to find a spark from elsewhere, particularly when Sturridge and Gerrard are missing.

A serious lack of clean sheets is very worrying. We can never seem to get both CB's to play well in the same game. Plus Johnson has been awful so far.

As i said though, we are still in the mix to finish top four and i think with two really good quality signings in midfield and up top, coupled with the return of Sturridge and Gerrard then the goals should return. If we can take points off Everton, Spurs and United at home then we will get fourth spot but only just, and i think we will do just that.

I think City will win it, Chelsea in 2nd, then Arsenal and Liverpool to scrape 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

City 1st Chelsea 2nd, 3rd and 4th are up for grabs. I can see there being 6 points separating 3rd place and 6th place come May.
    Arsenal have a horrible run of games coming up in March and could easily see them dropping from title contenders to battling for 3rd or 4th.
    People are being too quick to write off Man U. They, like City and Chelsea, have undergone a bit of turmoil due to new management. It's a safe bet that they'll get more points from the 2nd half of the season than the 1st. Their squad has experience putting in enough work to win the title.
    Liverpool unfortunately have a close 5th written all over them. Their current position hinges on the fact that Sturridge and Suarez had a good run of games. The midfield is letting them down and the second half of the season will depend on young players playing better than all evidence thus far suggests what they're capable of. Any midfielder they sign in January likely won't fully click with the team until the last 5 games of the season.
    Everton: Martinez is a good manager, that's what they have going for them. There's the possibility that Rodgers got the Liverpool job based on Martinez' good work at Swansea!
    Spurs: Too much turmoil at the club, 6th or 7th this season, they'll continue to look like the outsiders for CL qualification.

I wouldn't be confident enough to bet money on it but:
    1: Man City
    2: Chelsea
    3: Man Utd
    4: Arsenal
    5: Liverpool
    6: Spurs
    7: Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

A lot of people going for City then Chelsea, I still think Arsenal can do it. I think the Gunners have an easier run of fixtures.

1. Arsenal
    2. City
    3. Chelsea
    4. ?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Arsenal - Surpassing expectations and a great first half of the season. Previous sins and poor defensive displays cannot be forgotten that quickly and i think they may take a wobble in that regard

City - Strongest squad in the league and a manager with a brain now. Defensively could improve and with their cash could do so easily in January

Chelsea - In the shake up, if they add a striker (Falcao) and a centre mid (think Essien in his prime) then they can match any side all the way

Everton - Great start by Martinez, playing good football. Not much squad depth so injuries may hamper them. Barry has been an inspired signing for them and McCarthy/Coleman's form a positive from an Irish POV

Liverpool - Exceeding expectations thanks to the best player in the league. injuries hampering them at the momemt but a return of Gerrard/Sturridge will be a boost as well as some transfer window signings will keep them in the hunt for 4th

United - Awful 1st half of the season and Moyes cant get the same from the players. should have been expected really as anyone replacing fergie would have struggled. Rooney/RVP should keep them in contention but an aging squad will need investment and Fellani was an expensive luxury that wasnt needed. Should be thereabouts though

Spurs - Strong squad, if they had a decent striker they would be title contenders IMO. Sherwood doesnt inspire confidence for me though and I reckon Europa league spots most likely

Newcastle - Playing well but the form seems to be temporary for them. cannot forget that display at everton earlier this year and they do lack squad depth

Soton - Going well and could have expected more, Osvaldo has not fired at all but they play a good brand of football. Interesting window for them as they should have money to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for Liverpool, we're in a great position for a crack at top 4. it's between us, Utd and Everton for that 4th spot imo with Utd slight favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Can't say I'm happy with Chelsea's overall performance but to still be within a couple of points is great and just illustrates the fact that nobody has really been outstanding, everyone's dropping points.

I know Chelsea have another gear or 2 but so do City, I fancy the latter to kick on and ultimately win the thing, we should run them close though.

I really can't decide on the other 2 CL spots, Arsenal and Liverpool have been playing like top 4 certs but I just can't bring myself to write off United. I get the feeling Arsenal will be 3rd and United will just about get 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

One thing going for Arsenal is that they have been criticised for being rubbish in the big games but are still top.

City were criticised for being poor away from home and people think this will improve in 2014
    Chelsea criticised for not performing to their abilities and people think this will improve in 2014.

What if Arsenal get it together in the big games along with their consistency of beating the "smaller" teams???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mike65 wrote: »
    Okay having got that off your chest how about talking about your side? :)

My side Dundalk, does not start its season untill February

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

From a Liverpool perspective, very happy with the season so far.

I believe we are in the best position out of those sides gunning for top 4 (due to fixtures to come).

Whether we will achieve it will predominantly rest on 2 things:

1. Can we at least maintain the form we've shown in relation to our fixture difficulty so far? If so, we should in the end have reached close to 75 points.

2. Can United put together the type of form that saw them win the league last year, or at least something very close to it? If so they could go past even a good tally for us.

Spurs, Everton and Newcastle shouldn't be written off of course, but I do think that if we manage to reach 75 points that will probably be too much for them, and it would only be United that I could envisage pipping us in that case.

I think it will be very, very close and possibly come down to the United vs Liverpool game in March. Avoiding defeat will be crucial.

As for the title, I've said City since the start, and I think they have to be considered favorites still.

Arsenal I will not rule out - they are better than most give them credit for and they can do it. I imagine they will fall 3 or 4 points short however.

Chelsea are perhaps a bit lucky to be where they are and from what I've seen of them so far I don't believe they are good enough to win the league. A striker signed in January could change that, but is there one of the class required available? I have my doubts.

Prediction:

1. City 87
    2. Arsenal 83
    3. Chelsea 80
    4. Liverpool 74
    5. United 73
    6. Everton 68
    7. Spurs 66
    8. Newcastle 65

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Was there a thread at the start of the season where people made predictions?

Edit: found it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057014432

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

shano_88 wrote: »
    Was there a thread at the start of the season where people made predictions?

Edit: found it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057014432

Leafing through that thread, a few things are evident.

1. Most fans are blinded by their bias
    2. Football is very hard to predict
    3. Predicting stuff without knowing how the transfer window will play out is probably pointless.

Point 3 definitely applies to this thread, though maybe to a slightly lesser extent. It will be interesting to see if any club gets some serious business done in this window, or will it be a case of plugging the odd hole here and there.

Advertisement