Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eReader Repair Without Receipt

Options
  • 30-12-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I got given an e-reader as a present in November 2012. Last month, the screen started to fog up and now I can't read half the page due to the fogginess.

Phoned Sony and they said to send it for repair. I don't have a receipt or proof of purchase. I understand it is over a year old. However, I read recently there is EU legislation that has extended manufacturing warranty for 2 years.

Does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

sternn wrote: »
    Hi All,

I got given an e-reader as a present in November 2012. Last month, the screen started to fog up and now I can't read half the page due to the fogginess.

Phoned Sony and they said to send it for repair. I don't have a receipt or proof of purchase. I understand it is over a year old. However, I read recently there is EU legislation that has extended manufacturing warranty for 2 years.

Statutory warranty is at least 2 years, but the contract is between the purchaser and the seller. Manufacturer warranties are outside of statutory rights.
    Sony may offer a 2-year manufacturer warranty and may not even require the receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Hi All,

1999 was the directive, 2003 the implementation in Ireland. It doesn't give a 2 year warranty though. Irish law regulates consumer rights in Ireland, this gives you 6 years to make a claim, which will be judged on it's own merits, from date of purchase but only against parties to the contract (e.g. the person the money was given too).

A receipt is not the only proof of purchase available however. Is there a bank statement of something else that would have the purchase date on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Statutory warranty is at least 2 years.

Not necessarily. Particularly cheap or consumable goods may be judged to have lasted a reasonable time after a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Bepolite wrote: »
    1999 was the directive, 2003 the implementation in Ireland. It doesn't give a 2 year warranty though. Irish law regulates consumer rights in Ireland, this gives you 6 years to make a claim, which will be judged on it's own merits, from date of purchase but only against parties to the contract (e.g. the person the money was given too).

A receipt is not the only proof of purchase available however. Is there a bank statement of something else that would have the purchase date on it?

I could probably get a copy of a bank statement for it. It was bought in Eason's so I assume it will just have Eason's name against it. As far as I know, nothing else was bought in the same transaction so the value should tally back.

I have read a couple of websites (Citizens Information, Consumer Help) but have not been able to find an exact period I am entitled to return an item to repair under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That because a warranty comes from the manufacturer and the duration is at their discretion.

With the proof of purchase, you can try going back to the retailer.

Is the screen literally foggy, i.e. full of moisture, or do you mean something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I have read a couple of websites (Citizens Information, Consumer Help) but have not been able to find an exact period I am entitled to return an item to repair under warranty.
    To quote the Irish Law:

"(3) Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances, and any reference in this Act to unmerchantable goods shall be construed accordingly."

Basically, it has to have a "reasonable" lifespan considering its description and price. Just over a year would not appear to be reasonable for an eReader I would have thought.

Advertisement