Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Market opening hours New Year's Eve

Options
  • 30-12-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Anyone know what hours the English Market is open tomorrow? (Tuesday)
    Checked the website, but nothing specific. Thanks Cork City Council :rolleyes:
    Cheers and Happy New Year!
    Max :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

http://www.englishmarket.ie/information/

Maybe you need to look a bit better before falling into usual let's slag the council rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Ludo wrote: »
    http://www.englishmarket.ie/information/

Maybe you need to look a bit better before falling into usual let's slag the council rubbish.

It must be simply fabulous to be a perfect human being and never to have missed anything or made a mistake. Congratulations on being you.

Perhaps in order to be completely perfect, you ought to pause before making assumptions. When I googled originally I found this and NO reference to Christmas hours. http://www.englishmarket.ie/operations/openinghours/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Max001 wrote: »
    It must be simply fabulous to be a perfect human being and never to have missed anything or made a mistake. Congratulations on being you.

Perhaps in order to be completely perfect, you ought to pause before making assumptions. When I googled originally I found this and NO reference to Christmas hours. http://www.englishmarket.ie/operations/openinghours/

It's not Ludo's fault if you can't search properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

evilivor wrote: »
    It's not Ludo's fault if you can't search properly.

Surely arriving at a page entitled "opening hours" and, given that there is no information regarding Christmas opening hours, concluding that there is no information about it on their site, is a reasonable thing to do? I wouldn't call it not being able to "search properly", and I certainly wouldn't make it my business to pop up to a thread to point it out in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Vivara wrote: »
    Surely arriving at a page entitled "opening hours" and, given that there is no information regarding Christmas opening hours, concluding that there is no information about it on their site, is a reasonable thing to do? I wouldn't call it not being able to "search properly", and I certainly wouldn't make it my business to pop up to a thread to point it out in any case.

I think the dig at the OP was more to do with having a go at the city council when in fact the information was easily available by going to the home page and clicking on "information". It could be said that the OP didn't accept their error with good grace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Oh Dear. Season of goodwill and all that. Was in the English Market is open today, although I don't know when it closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Dan Dare wrote: »
    although I don't know when it closes.

as Ludo's post above indicates, it close at 6.00p.m.

To clarify. I did click on 'home' from the page that the first google result took me to and there was no mention of holiday hours and no link to any page called 'information'. Might've been an old cached page I went to.
    IMO the following comment was completely uncalled for, given I'd obviously made a genuine error and pointing that out would've sufficed.
    'Maybe you need to look a bit better before falling into usual let's slag the council rubbish.'
    Further, I'd be justified in criticising the council regarding how they've invested in (hardly at all) and marketed (ditto) The English Market. Its one of Cork's biggest tourist draws and the several traders I know are consistently very critical of the council because of its lack of support over the decades. None of the many Corkonians I know ever buy there, due to a lack of awareness. Again, down to the council, as they run the operation.
    I'm constantly evangelising about the place, but my efforts are a drop in the ocean. Rant over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok guys play nice please. This is not a thread about the city council OP and to some of the rest of you it's also not a thread for making smart comments directed at the OP so please be nice. :-)

To clarify. I did click on 'home' from the page that the first google result took me to and there was no mention of holiday hours and no link to any page called 'information'. Might've been an old cached page I went to.
    IMO the following comment was completely uncalled for, given I'd obviously made a genuine error and pointing that out would've sufficed.
    'Maybe you need to look a bit better before falling into usual let's slag the council rubbish.'
    Further, I'd be justified in criticising the council regarding how they've invested in (hardly at all) and marketed (ditto) The English Market. Its one of Cork's biggest tourist draws and the several traders I know are consistently very critical of the council because of its lack of support over the decades. None of the many Corkonians I know ever buy there, due to a lack of awareness. Again, down to the council, as they run the operation.
    I'm constantly evangelising about the place, but my efforts are a drop in the ocean. Rant over ;)

I think that's a bit harsh in fairness. I'm not a Corkonian but over the last year especially, the English Market has been everywhere in the papers. Also seeing as the Market is housing private businesses there is no reason why the council should market it above any other street or shopping complex in the city. As for Corkonians never buying there, I go through it every day and the butchers stalls are always frequented by locals. Maybe the other Corkonians are put off by the busloads of tourists crowding the place as they meander slowly through, taking pictures of meat hanging off hooks and not buying anything!

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    I think that's a bit harsh in fairness. I'm not a Corkonian but over the last year especially, the English Market has been everywhere in the papers. Also seeing as the Market is housing private businesses there is no reason why the council should market it above any other street or shopping complex in the city. As for Corkonians never buying there, I go through it every day and the butchers stalls are always frequented by locals. Maybe the other Corkonians are put off by the busloads of tourists crowding the place as they meander slowly through, taking pictures of meat hanging off hooks and not buying anything!

Harsh you might think, but its the general opinion of the traders who're based there. I'm merely repeating what I hear. Ask a few yourself and see what they say. In fact, what they have to say is a lot stronger than what I've said here.
    The English Market building is owned by the council, so its in the rate payer's interests that its marketed and run effectively. Do you understand now how it differs from privately owned retail developments?
    I didn't say, Corkonians never buy there. I said that none of the (many) Corkonians I know (from all walks of life) buy there.
    I don't think the tourists detract, because if there were no tourists at all, it'd be bloody quiet! ;) I have no trouble getting served, when I'm there, as the traders are quick to spot someone wanting to buy, as opposed to look.
    The reasons why more locals don't buy there are varied, but that ought not to stop the council partnering with the traders more effectively to change things.
    It strikes me as not a little ironic, that it took the visit of a British monarch for the council to tart the place up a bit. More ironic still that it was the traders themselves, who work so hard to make the place work, that delighted the Queen as she walked around and also provided an expert commentary on live TV during her visit there. Arguably, it took the visit of Queen Elizabeth for the council to wake up and do anything to improve the English Market. A few years on, what's changed for the better?

The English Market building is owned by the council, so its in the rate payer's interests that its marketed and run effectively. Do you understand now how it differs from privately owned retail developments?
    Private businesses have to pay rates as well
    It strikes me as not a little ironic, that it took the visit of a British monarch for the council to tart the place up a bit. More ironic still that it was the traders themselves, who work so hard to make the place work, that delighted the Queen as she walked around and also provided an expert commentary on live TV during her visit there.

I fail to see any irony. She was on a state visit. She'd have been 'delighted' no matter what crap she was fed.
    I buy from various stalls in there and not all the traders are the salt of the earth type. Some are downright rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I work in town and I buy most of my food there, loads of people I work with shop there too. I could go 4/5 days a week. It's always fairly busy midweek in the daytime with regular locals. There are tourists obviously but not more than locals.

Advertisement