Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet for my Desktop

Options
  • 30-12-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem in regard to getting my desktop to connect to the internet. I'll explain the current set up of my internet.

There are 2 buildings at my house, an office and the main house itself, both of which are side by side. I have the phone line in the office running with my eircom wireless router attached to it. The wireless signal is strong enough to carry through to the house and we can use laptops, iphones etc in the house on the wifi signal that carries through the external walls.

I want to set up a desktop computer in the house. I have purchased a wireless receptor for the desktop that fits in to a usb port. The name of it is "Intellinet network solutions 802.11n Wireless LAN utility".

However, it is failing to pick up the wireless signal in the sitting room even though I can use my laptop and phone on the wireless network here. The wireless receptor for the desktop doesn't seem to be strong enough to pick up the signal? It's strange because my laptop can pick up the signal from the same place, if not further away than the desktop.

I ambasically wondering has anyone had a similar problema and what my options are to rectify the problem. The kitchen is closer than the sitting room to the signal and i suspect it would work in there but I want to set it up the monitor in the sitting room because I have a desk for it there.

Should I alternatively try set up the modem in the kitchen and then have a wire going in to the sitting room or would investing in a stronger wireless receptor be better? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

might be worthwhile moving the desktop closer to modem just to see if it sees it at all. then you can move on from there once you know the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

T-Bird wrote: »
    might be worthwhile moving the desktop closer to modem just to see if it sees it at all. then you can move on from there once you know the result.

Or disable your laptops wifi and plug the dongle in and see whats going on. Some wireless hardware doesnt like some setups... You could try change the wireless channel on the wifi etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hubba_bubba

T-Bird wrote: »
    Ok T-Bird, I have moved the desktop to the kitchen now where it is picking up the wireless signal from the eircom router. Every time i try to connect however I get the following network diagnostics error " Make sure your computer is in range of eirom494829480 and that the network settings match the wireless router or access point settings". It is also saying above this error that the network is "hidden" but this doesn't make much sense if the other laptops and devices are connecting to it seamlessly does it?

Thanks fionny, but how would i go about changing the wireless channel on the wifi and how would that help?

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hubba_bubba

Windows 7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try changing the Wireless channel to see if it improves. To do this go to: http://192.168.1.254/ (assuming default eircom router), enter broadband1 if asked for a password and enter wireless settings. Change the channel to another and see if reception improves

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Windows doesn't always load correct drivers, might be worth a try to download one from manufacturers site.

Advertisement