Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewe ration prices

• 30-12-2013 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Got a quote e295 a tonne loose for 18% ewe and lamb ration, how does this sound?, its down on last year neway. Anyone else get a quote or purchase some recently and what % protein ration was it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Sounds about right paying 290 for 18% ewe nut loose at the moment! I'm near you so maybe different prices elsewhere, be interesting to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

shop around

280 bags delivered 18% HE Nut

however I'm collecting a similar ration in bulk (different merchant) for 260

these prices are about 30 to 40 per tonne under their computer prices

much the same as selling lambs really. it's up to yourself to fight your corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

340 a tonne bagged for 20% blend with oats, barley, soya bean meal, beet pulp nuts, molasses, pelleted minerals and some flake maize I am expecting to buy in bulk for 295 - 300 next time. This is a blend with pretty good ingredients I would be more worried about contents rather than price. A ewe needs to get 100grms of SOYA per lamb in her diet a lot of rations wont deliver this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

grassroot1 wrote: »
    340 a tonne bagged for 20% blend with oats, barley, soya bean meal, beet pulp nuts, molasses, pelleted minerals and some flake maize I am expecting to buy in bulk for 295 - 300 next time. This is a blend with pretty good ingredients I would be more worried about contents rather than price. A ewe needs to get 100grms of SOYA per lamb in her diet a lot of rations wont deliver this.

Agreed, that looks a great ration. The extra money could save a few lambs in the long run. Soya for sheep is king.
    Will get them to put in some deccox this year to prevent cocci as we'll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

razor8 wrote: »
    Agreed, that looks a great ration. The extra money could save a few lambs in the long run. Soya for sheep is king.

Deccox is only available on perscription is it?

• Advertisement

Didn't think so, would you be thinking of baycox?

Didn't think so, would you be thinking of baycox?

Maybe - I could be wrong too.

I thought all doses / medicine which would be added to ration were prescription jobs. But am totally open to correction on that...

Edit : is there a mineral lick yu can get which had deccox in it? I wouldn't be getting enough ration to be ale to order a specific mix. But if I could get something for cocci, it would be good. As I got stung very bad with it bad last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

Do you just ask the mill to include this in the mix? How does it work out price wise?

Maybe - I could be wrong too.

I thought all doses / medicine which would be added to ration were prescription jobs. But am totally open to correction on that...

Edit : is there a mineral lick yu can get which had deccox in it? I wouldn't be getting enough ration to be ale to order a specific mix. But if I could get something for cocci, it would be good. As I got stung very bad with it bad last year...

Farm direct in Oldcastle do cocci buckets called tubby, Denis brimcombe makes them. they have no website but brimcombe has if spelt right. Dessie Donohoe is rep

Is a fecker to get rid of, had it here too

Farm direct in Oldcastle do cocci buckets called tubby, Denis brimcombe makes them. they have no website but brimcombe has if spelt right. Dessie Donohoe is rep

Is a fecker to get rid of, had it here too

Have you used them Denis Brimcombe buckets razor? I see the lads on the UK farming sites talk about em.

Are they any good do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

grassroot1 wrote: »

agree with you that good ingredients more important than price, ration i use has similar ingredients to yours and i find it very good . A cheaper ration usually means cheaper ingredients

got a similar price for a nut, do many of you lads use nuts? what is the main dif between nut and rations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

dave747 wrote: »
    agree with you that good ingredients more important than price, ration i use has similar ingredients to yours and i find it very good . A cheaper ration usually means cheaper ingredients

got a similar price for a nut, do many of you lads use nuts? what is the main dif between nut and rations?

Always go for nut . It's all eaten then. Throuwing ration into a damp trough causes a wasted pulp

Have you used them Denis Brimcombe buckets razor? I see the lads on the UK farming sites talk about em.

Are they any good do you know?

I haven't UJ, they had a stand at the Cavan machinery show I was at last year before any problems occurred. I just remember thinking they were very expensive!!

I haven't UJ, they had a stand at the Cavan machinery show I was at last year before any problems occurred. I just remember thinking they were very expensive!!

Ok, thanks for replying razor.

I'll make a few enquiries locally and see if there is anything I can get. If not, it'll be vecoxan dose I guess. Maybe that's the best option anyways, also expensive tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Anyone have a good resource for reading up on ingredients, I have to admit to being a complete dunce when it comes to ration and nut formulations and that's something I need to correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2012/1287/sheep-booklet.pdf

Page 25, Siobhan kavanagh has a piece on the different ingredients

ganmo wrote: »
    http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2012/1287/sheep-booklet.pdf

Page 25, Siobhan kavanagh has a piece on the different ingredients

thats a very useful link lots of info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Always go for nut . It's all eaten then. Throuwing ration into a damp trough causes a wasted pulp

I would agree to a point. It depends on where you're feeding. If it's in the shed you will get no more waste with a ration than a nut.
    The only difference between the ration and the nut is the amount of processing. Rations can be a little dusty but a little molasses in the mix solves that.

Who do ye reckon makes the best 18% sheep rations irrespective of cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Who do ye reckon makes the best 18% sheep rations irrespective of cost?

All depends on the level of soya in the ration and the ingredients. I'm currently feeding Smyths dale sides 18 % ewe nut with protected soya costing 340 ton in bags and 320 in bulk. But Smyths could also offer me 18% protein nut at under 300 a ton but the protein made up from out ingredients as opposed to to soya which was less available to the ewe. Went with the higher soya nut as feeding lot of twins as ewes are scanned at 1.9

• Advertisement

cattle man wrote: »
    All depends on the level of soya in the ration and the ingredients. I'm currently feeding Smyths dale sides 18 % ewe nut with protected soya costing 340 ton in bags and 320 in bulk. But Smyths could also offer me 18% protein nut at under 300 a ton but the protein made up from out ingredients as opposed to to soya which was less available to the ewe. Went with the higher soya nut as feeding lot of twins as ewes are scanned at 1.9

Not impressed with some suppliers around here, poor ingredients, soya usually way down list or just soya hulls which isn't as good. don't mind paying
    extra for quality feed.
    Might contact them and see who stocks it around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Not impressed with some suppliers around here, poor ingredients, soya usually way down list or just soya hulls which isn't as good. don't mind paying
    extra for quality feed.
    Might contact them and see who stocks it around here
    I agree with you 100%, soya hulls or rapeseed seems to be in the cheaper rations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'd rate soya hulls as one of the worst ingredients, poor protein and energy and mildly unpalatable. I've often seen them left behind in a trough.
    that 18% is Crude protein which is got by analysing the nitrogen content of the ingredients and multiplying by 6.25(Protein is about 16% nitrogen).

My preference would be for a 16% ration with good ingredients over an 18% ration

Anyone use Greenvale 18% ewe and lamb ration? this is the ration i got the quote for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

dave747 wrote: »
    Anyone use Greenvale 18% ewe and lamb ration? this is the ration i got the quote for

got a few bags last year , was absolutely seeped with molasses, and if I remember correctly soya hulls were highest on the list of ingredients

wasn't too impressed TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

ganmo wrote: »
    I'd rate soya hulls as one of the worst ingredients, poor protein and energy and mildly unpalatable. I've often seen them left behind in a trough.
    that 18% is Crude protein which is got by analysing the nitrogen content of the ingredients and multiplying by 6.25(Protein is about 16% nitrogen).

My preference would be for a 16% ration with good ingredients over an 18% ration

Connellys Goresbridge with there Morrins/Pedigree sheep nuts charge more for the 16% nut than the 18%nut ,the 16% nut would have soya as the protein source and wheat as the main ingredient

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkman11

Deccox is prescription only. Well worth the money. Bit of a grey area with the dept of ag though. Suppose to be for the use of individual feeding and not batch feeding, some vets can pull on giving a prescription based on this reason ( nothing to do with the loss revenue a cocci outbreak can create for them.)
    When formulating a ewe ration, always aim for the right balance. High energy source ( maize ) , good protein source ( hi p soya ), digestible fibre ( soya hulls ) , keep distillers to a max of 10%, can vary with it copper levels. Gluten 10 % max. No palm kernel or similar fillers. Citrus pulp contains calcium so best to avoid to ewes inlamb .Rapeseed , ewes find unpalatable especially with levels over 10 % , can act as a reasonable source of protein when soya fluctuates. I personally prefer not to use barley or wheat, mainly because they can vary so much in quality. I have seen barley that would make palm like the king of feeds. Maybe after a good summer like this quality is better than usual , but still rather use maize any day, no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Corkman11 wrote: »
    Deccox is prescription only. Well worth the money. Bit of a grey area with the dept of ag though. Suppose to be for the use of individual feeding and not batch feeding, some vets can pull on giving a prescription based on this reason ( nothing to do with the loss revenue a cocci outbreak can create for them.)
    When formulating a ewe ration, always aim for the right balance. High energy source ( maize ) , good protein source ( hi p soya ), digestible fibre ( soya hulls ) , keep distillers to a max of 10%, can vary with it copper levels. Gluten 10 % max. No palm kernel or similar fillers. Citrus pulp contains calcium so best to avoid to ewes inlamb .Rapeseed , ewes find unpalatable especially with levels over 10 % , can act as a reasonable source of protein when soya fluctuates. I personally prefer not to use barley or wheat, mainly because they can vary so much in quality. I have seen barley that would make palm like the king of feeds. Maybe after a good summer like this quality is better than usual , but still rather use maize any day, no comparison.

what % would you use of maize, soya bean and soya hulls to give you a 17-18%??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkman11

eorna wrote: »
    what % would you use of maize, soya bean and soya hulls to give you a 17-18%??

50% maize, 25% hulls, 25% hi p, end up with just over 18%. Don't neglect minerals, vital!

• Advertisement

Corkman11 wrote: »
    50% maize, 25% hulls, 25% hi p, end up with just over 18%. Don't neglect minerals, vital!

would you include minerals in the ration or would buckets do?

Advertisement