Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewe ration prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Corkman11 wrote: »
    Deccox is prescription only. Well worth the money. Bit of a grey area with the dept of ag though. Suppose to be for the use of individual feeding and not batch feeding, some vets can pull on giving a prescription based on this reason ( nothing to do with the loss revenue a cocci outbreak can create for them.)
    When formulating a ewe ration, always aim for the right balance. High energy source ( maize ) , good protein source ( hi p soya ), digestible fibre ( soya hulls ) , keep distillers to a max of 10%, can vary with it copper levels. Gluten 10 % max. No palm kernel or similar fillers. Citrus pulp contains calcium so best to avoid to ewes inlamb .Rapeseed , ewes find unpalatable especially with levels over 10 % , can act as a reasonable source of protein when soya fluctuates. I personally prefer not to use barley or wheat, mainly because they can vary so much in quality. I have seen barley that would make palm like the king of feeds. Maybe after a good summer like this quality is better than usual , but still rather use maize any day, no comparison.

Great post, a lot to ponder!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkman11

dave747 wrote: »
    would you include minerals in the ration or would buckets do?

My experience of buckets is that they can be inconsistent in nature. Often get batch with a lot of molasses in them. I would be happier by adding a mineral to the feed but that's just me

Advertisement