Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake bank account

Options
  • 30-12-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi I lodged money into a bank of Ireland account today the persons name and address were correct however I have been scammed. I was purchasing tickets off the person and he's gone underground now. My question is is it possible in this day and age that someone can set up a bogus bank of Ireland account to de fraud someone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

In theory the account opener will have had to positively identify themselves at account opening. The bank will not discuss with you of course so you need to make a statement to the Gardaí as it is a criminal matter if fraud has been committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

murphaph wrote: »
    In theory the account opener will have had to positively identify themselves at account opening. The bank will not discuss with you of course so you need to make a statement to the Gardaí as it is a criminal matter if fraud has been committed.

Do you tink the person is traceable? Would the bank have a copy of the persons photo Id?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

I agree with Murphaph - call into your nearest Garda Station and file a report - the bank wont deal directly with you

shamu2new wrote: »
    I agree with Murphaph - call into your nearest Garda Station and file a report - the bank wont deal directly with you

Sound thanks for advice I'm screwed I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You, in theory, could have a bank account created with fake identity details..but that's very hard to do. That's the least likely option. There slightly more likely, but still not the most likely, is that the person committing a fraud has unauthorised access to an innocent party's account.

Most likely, it's a real person and as stated..you need to contact the Garda to lodge a complaint if you've been a victim of fraud. No matter what, BOI (or any bank) can't release information to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ... No matter what, BOI (or any bank) can release information to you.
    Is my brain malfunctioning, or is there something wrong in that sentence?

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm pleased that you've never made a typo, and as such kindly decided to share your beneficence with us all on thread, pulling it off to an amusing siding. I'm almost full-sure that anyone reading could not have deciphered the meaning without it. Of course, why use the inbuilt functionality to alert the folks with the power to change it when you could pull the thread off topic.

TL;DR: Report a post if you find an error. They happen. They don't require pulling threads off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

While person may have gone underground (not answering ph/email etc) I'd suggest you text/email telling them you are going to guards.

Are they on fb perchance? Can you get screenshots of location etc from that - provide to guards.

I have been onto gaurds the fella is real he will be caught eventually it's only a matter of time. App he's doin this on a lot of sites any he sells everything hahaha

• Advertisement

Good to hear.

To help others:
    Were the tickets fake?
    Or cancelled and re-issued?
    etc

He got me to lodge money into a legit bank account and he never showed up to hand over tickets he is doing same scam selling all sorts of items only good thing is he will be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Difficult lesson in never sending money directly to a bank account unless the person is completely trusted :( Hope this guy gets his comeuppance.

He sounds a bit stupid...getting people to lodge money into his real account...oh he'll be caught very soon alright.

But come on dude!!!! You handed over money before you had something in your hand?!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Gordon wrote: »
    Difficult lesson in never sending money directly to a bank account unless the person is completely trusted :( Hope this guy gets his comeuppance.

Ah Gordon we finally meet; I'm a big fan of your work in the prison forum

amdublin wrote: »
    He sounds a bit stupid...getting people to lodge money into his real account...oh he'll be caught very soon alright.

But come on dude!!!! You handed over money before you had something in your hand?!!!!!!

Yea I was silly mate I've done it before with deals and have had no problem this dude will be caught eventually alright and that will do me he's all over the net on sites with different names so he's prob reading hahaha

paul64 wrote: »
    Yea I was silly mate I've done it before with deals and have had no problem this dude will be caught eventually alright and that will do me he's all over the net on sites with different names so he's prob reading hahaha

Yep the clock is ticking on him...

Lesson to all: DO NOT GIVE MONEY WITHOUT GETTING ITEM!!!!

amdublin wrote: »
    Yep the clock is ticking on him...

Lesson to all: DO NOT GIVE MONEY WITHOUT GETTING ITEM!!!!

Yea always deal in person I thought I'd be ok with a real bank account and details but I was still done I'll be happy to see this fella in court thought and hope he never gets a bank account again he deserves what he's gonna get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Seems like a lot of hassles to open a bank account to defraud one person for a small amount, Get onto the bank of the account you sent to or your own and see where the trail leads. That person will need to withdraw the money somehow. Fraud accounts are more beneficial for those doing large transactions then just small amounts, they would use paypal for that!

I'm an EX Bank Worker.

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of hassles to open a bank account to defraud one person for a small amount, Get onto the bank of the account you sent to or your own and see where the trail leads. That person will need to withdraw the money somehow. Fraud accounts are more beneficial for those doing large transactions then just small amounts, they would use paypal for that!

I'm an EX Bank Worker.

Was onto bank nothing they can do. The cops are sorting it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

Hey OP.
    So the gardai think they can do something. Did u just go into your local station. Same thing happened my brother recently tried to buy gig tickets person seemed above board on phone etc but when transfered money disappeared.
    Feel terrible for him as it was a gift for parents and he doesn't have a lot of cash...

Yea the cops knows this fella he's at it all the time they said they will catch him soon no doubt about it he used his real name for bank account but he moves around differ addresses he will be caught and I can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

Thanks for the info must get my brother to follow up on this. Very frustrating cause you have info to link the person but the banks were like your a fool go away. This thread has been enlightening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You go in an see if the bank will let ya open an account in the name of Mickey Mouse there hsha his name is legit and he prob lived in the address at a time he will be caught mark my words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Of course no bank would open an account in the name M Mouse.

What I am saying is the bank will process a transfer so long as the account number and sort code are valid regardless of the name given.

Of course they will but the account is a legit account what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

paul64 wrote: »
    Yea the cops knows this fella he's at it all the time they said they will catch him soon no doubt about it he used his real name for bank account but he moves around differ addresses he will be caught and I can't wait
    If Ireland could get over its phobia of identity cards and compulsory registration of abode (common across continental Europe, tis really just us and the Brits who think our civil liberties will be destroyed by such measures) then such scams would be much harder to get away with.

Advertisement