Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurants & pubs in Athlone

Options
  • 30-12-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

My friend & her husband are booking a hotel in Athlone for 2 night in two weeks time, either The Shearton or The Radison. Hotel is not booked yet. It depends on price!! They are a young couple. What nice restaurants & pubs would boardies recommend. It will be a Friday & Sat night. They wont mind walking to the West side if need be!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Seans Bar or the Snug on the west side of town for the booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Itzy wrote: »
    Seans Bar or the Snug on the west side of town for the booze.

I guess they might want to hear each other speak while out? La stada for the food and castle inn for the beer if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Get a taxi out to Grogans in Glasson a one stop shop for food and pints

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thanks for all the info. A taxi to Glasson & back to hotel would add too much to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Radisson will prob be cheaper.

Top Deck Bistro, which is near the Radisson is great for food, it may not be the nicest food ever, but it has a great atmosphere, and on a Friday night it is €10 a main course. Its bring your own wine as well but with a €3 or €4 corkage fee. The Radisson restaurant is lovely if they have an evening meal included.

A newish restaurant is La Cucina de Angelo which is right beside the Top Deck (but on ground level!). It's getting good reviews on Trip Advisor anyway, I think the first few were family and friends but its still getting great reviews!

Another option near the Radisson is the Quays pub and Il Collesseo restaurant upstairs from it.

Snug is ok, Seans not great, dont know what all the fuss is about. At least the Snug, Seans, Castle are all beside each other. Piano bar gets good at about 11 o clock and then down to Club Viva downstairs, esp if they are a young couple!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The Locke does great food and has great sercice.,
    Myself and Mrs Demanufactured ate there on new years eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Yep +1 for the Locke, food is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Best restaurant in town = Kin Khao Thai
    Best pubs in town = Maguire's (Connaught Street) and The Shack (further out, on the Dublin Road).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Just beaten to it by ruben .....Maguires is nice, has a great selection of beers,
    then head down to The fiddlers to meet the real genuine locals,
    unlike the shapers and posers that hang out in Seans ......

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

martin1 wrote: »
    unlike the shapers and posers that hang out in Seans ......

Unfortunately the shaper and posers are locals too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Following my post earlier this month & all the valuable info I collected for my friend & her husband, they really enjoyed their weekend. The restaurants were great also the pubs. They said much better than Galway!! They stayed in the Radison. I hope they dont get too fond of it!! Thanks again to all who contributed with info.

Advertisement