Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garnett Shotgun - Want to find out history

Options
  • 30-12-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

im hoping that someone in this forum might be able to point me in the right direction. i am currently looking about having my dads shotgun refurbished as a surprise gift. its a really old gun, double barrel, old style hammers like a musket. anyway he's had it since He was a young fella and his dad had it before him. im guessing it could be at least 80 years old. anyway i see that it is marked 'M Garnett' with an address in Dublin. i am trying to find out a bit more about this but haven't been able to find a lot. is M Garnett a retailer or the maker? is there any way that i could find out the exact period the gun was manufactured? if anyone could help me in any way id really appreciate it. i can pm photos of the gun if required. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jerrystevens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Thanks Jerry for posting the link.
    Absolutely a great piece of history.
    Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

thanks jerry for that link. it is very informative. that article seems to indicate that Garnetts were in business from around 1860 to 1951. from 1951 onwards they became Garnett & Keegan. My dads gun is marked 'M Garnett Crampton Court Dublin so its obviously a pre 1951.

i did a Google search of M Garnett Crampton Court and the search shows a 1911 census showing indeed Garnetts living in Crampton Court. the 'M' seems to stand for Martha who was the lady in the article who tied the flies and mother of Paddy who later ran the business.

My next question is, is there any way that i can narrow down the period in which the gun was manufactured.? Also paddy's article seems to indicate that Garnetts was just a shop. if that is the case who manufactured the guns for them.

can anyone shed any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd hazard a guess like many gun makers here they bought in from the UK the lock work and barrels,mostly from Brirmingham,did some stock work and sold it as an in house product.
    Seen a couple of guns marked "Webly[or whatever] made for XYZ gun makers Dublin."Thats not to say they didnt make bespoke pieces maybe,but I'd ASSume the demand for cheaper guns was coverd by buying in from the UK?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement