Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying the right trail/hiking gear

Options
  • 30-12-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Have been doing some walking trails and hiking lately and have bought some gear and would like to get some more.
    I bought Gore-Tex Meindl trail shoes for around €150. When I tried them on in the shop they were a bit uncomfortable and the first few times I wore them I was getting bits of pains in my insteps and knees/hips. However, the more I walk with them the better they seem to be getting. I did a long walk recently - 4 1/2 hrs and for the last 3 hours it poured rain with a strong wind. The shoes kept me almost perfectly dry, a small bit of water got into one shoe, probably through the tongue of the shoe. I probably hadn't the laces tied tight enough. However, I'm happy with the buy.
    I bought a pair of Colombia trousers with detachable zip-offs from the kness down. So far they have been a good buy. Nice and breathable.
    I also bought a pair of waterproofs to put on over these. Tresspass - 2000mm waterproof and 3000mvp breathable (that's what it says on the label). However, I haven't worn these yet as by mistake I put on my wife's pair at home - a Gelert brand - when I went walking that day. The Gelert brand kept me very dry except for soakage through the zips on the sides. I will have to try out the Trespass ones soon.
    My wife also bought a North Face Sangro jacket (around €120). I wore it when I went walking that day and despite 3 hours of very heavy rain it kept me very dry. It did take a good while to dry out afterwards at home. However, it was very light, comfortable and warm and I wasn't sweating in it. I am thinking of buying one of these for myself.
    I'm hoping to buy some more gear - waterproof gloves, a jacket and probably a rucksack too.
    Any recommendations or tips would be great. Hoping to do the Camino in Spain at some stage and I want to try out all my gear before I head there.
    I have a rucksack at the moment but it doesn't have the space at the back to allow your back to breathe.
    Cheers and hope the post wasn't too long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Most rucksacks will have some sort of ‘dry back’ system on them these days but by and large I find that they are not that effective, at least for me. Some bags have a rigid plastic board that forces the bag from contacting with your back (like on my old fondly remembered Jack Wolfskin bag) but this system tends to reduce the carrying capacity of the bag itself.

This is a handy link that explains the sort of ‘dry back’ systems currently in use. http://www.cheaptents.com/advice-backsystems.php

I currently use a Deuter Futura 28L daysack. Had it for 5 years at least and i’m very happy with it.

As for other recommended clothing: a good quality windproof fleece, a warm winter hat and for summer I use a Tilley hat (or similar).

A trekking/walking pole is a good idea also – good for the knees, handy for balance, slashing nettles, feeling your way through bogs and streams, navigating gorse and holly and fending off annoying dogs smaller then a spaniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hoping to do the Camino in Spain at some stage and I want to try out all my gear before I head there.
    The Camino is low level walking, so you might find that some of the gear you'll need for Irish hills is overkill. In particular, you might prefer to use lighter boots than your standard leather Irish terrain boot.

If you've problems with flat feet etc you might need some sort of shoe insert e.g. 'Superfeet', or talk to your doc.

Waterproof gloves have a couple of disadvantages. They're hard to put back on if you take them off. Water gets in anyway. Perhaps carrying something like 2 pairs of powerstretch gloves and some mitts (in the very cold) would be a better investment.
    http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_gloves

If walking abroad, a good hat is essential. Tilleys are great and worth the money I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I actually have a pair of gloves from aldi and they are quite good. Keep the hands quite warm but are breathable enough. On that day they eventually became wet but my skin did not go clamy in them. That day was very wet.
    I have trail shoes not leather boots. I sweat easily enough and do not like my feet getting too warm so leather boots wouldnt be a great option for me.
    Is the Tilley a brand or type of hat?
    Edit. Did a google search there and saw some hats. Think a light mid brim one would be handy to keep the sun off ears and neck. Better than a baseball cap I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yep, most people will want a hat that gives 360 degree protection, and a baseball cap isn't enough. Walking the Camino you could be out in the sun for 7/8 hours at a time.

It sounds like you're in a buying frenzy, like those traders who shout "buy buy buy"! Slow down, relax!

For Camino? Shorts, teeshirt, comfortable runners, hat, buff with uv protection. That a bit flippant, but think I'd be more concerned about sun protection and hydration than the waterproof qualities of jackets and long trousers. Think the first thing is think when you want to go there and do research about likely weather conditions. Then plan your trip around that.

Furthermore, a long walk is a one off 4.5 hours? Course its all relative. But would have thought you'd want to be able to tack on another few hours, day after day.

In general, Camino aside, I'd say stop buying things now. Maybe a compass and figure out how to use it, unless you plan to do everything on marked trails. Buy as you find you need stuff, this may be a hobby for years, I would not rush out and buy heaps of pricey North Face gear. You'll find out that stuff you don't even think of now, the small first aid kit, the buff, the waterproof cover for a rucksack, these are the items that may become essential...they may not. But figure it out for yourself. It kinda almost sounds like you're buying for the sake of buying at the moment. For example, if you think 4.5 hours is a long trek, how good a rucksack do you really need? Do you think the one that will be taking you through short day treks here is the one that will lead you through the Camino etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭custom900

Soooooo........

You wear your wife's clothes?:D

Re Conor
    Everything we are doing now is just preparation. I am aware that the camino stages can be upto 30km a day. We are going at Easter. Last year they had snow in parts into May. You just never know what the weather will be like but a mixture of sun, rain, cold and heat could be expected even on the one day so the guidebook tells you to ensure you have the right gear. A lot of the gear I have bought I will use over and over again like going for a walk any day or at a match etc. We are planning on travelling as light as possible - couple of trousers, waterproof trousers and jacket, a fleece, toilet bag, small light towel, sleeping bag and a few tshirts. We are hoping not to carry much else.
    Re the women's clothes - arent they more comfortable!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Re Conor
    Everything we are doing now is just preparation. I am aware that the camino stages can be upto 30km a day. We are going at Easter. Last year they had snow in parts into May. You just never know what the weather will be like but a mixture of sun, rain, cold and heat could be expected even on the one day so the guidebook tells you to ensure you have the right gear. A lot of the gear I have bought I will use over and over again like going for a walk any day or at a match etc. We are planning on travelling as light as possible - couple of trousers, waterproof trousers and jacket, a fleece, toilet bag, small light towel, sleeping bag and a few tshirts. We are hoping not to carry much else.
    Re the women's clothes - arent they more comfortable!!

snow on the first few stages maybe, through the Pyrennes
    but after that?

Could even be snow on the Meseta as it is a high plateau through northern Spain. Also hills coming into Galicia, an area that has unpredictable weather, a bit like Ireland. So having gear to keep you warm and dry is important.

Re rucksacks and their waterproof covers - some of these covers dont seem to offer much protection except from a shower. So I am thinking of getting a dry bag and put all my stuff into it and seal it. Then place it in the rucksack. This should ensure that even if the rucksack gets wet all inside should be dry.
    Finding that it will take me a bit of time to find the setup that suits myself.
    I saw a nice bodywarmer fleece in outdoor store and it is snug and allows the underarms to breathe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Regarding a rucksack I am using the Vaude Wizard24+4 with fully adjustable shoulder straps and air mesh. the air mesh can adjust to any curvature. The bag also has a rain cover tucked away and more important for me opens up to 28 litres for storing those items of wear not required (rain jacket). Having tried a few bag brands I think I have found a good allrounder.

Where do you all put your sleeping bag when out walking when it is wet? Normally you see people with it attached outside to top or bottom of rucksack. Would you have within the rucksack to keep it dry?
    Hardest thing so far has been getting the right trouser size with detachable zip offs at the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Where do you all put your sleeping bag when out walking when it is wet? Normally you see people with it attached outside to top or bottom of rucksack. Would you have within the rucksack to keep it dry?
    Hardest thing so far has been getting the right trouser size with detachable zip offs at the knee.

U can buy dry bags of different sizes.
    I usually have 2-3 of these for keeping things separate, IE dirty clothes etc!
    What I have found for long walks....less is more :)

Don't carry a large rucksack, because it will cut the shoulders off u.
    For the Camino u are going through towns most of the time, and your not camping, so u wont need a sleeping bag, just a sleeping bag liner? If u want to keep something dry, put it in a dry bag. Bags leak, end of story :)

We did the TMB trail. 2 sets of cloths, the one u are wearing and a hut pair.
    3 sets of underwear. U just wash every evening and can usually get everything dry by the next morning in a drying root, or slung across your pack the next day :)

Also...if u need anything on the camino, just pick it up enroute.
    Nothing worse than carrying a bunch of stuff u dont end up using for days on end!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone ever bought gear on alibaba/aliexpress?

I am a very casual outdoor person but will be doing a fair bit of hiking this year and I see base layers and hiking trousers for really good prices here

Advertisement