Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Location of boiler, where am I not allowed to mount it?

• 30-12-2013 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Funny desigh of a house that we have means that up until now the boiler has lived in a bedroom, which has always been a bone of contention not just because its an eyesore, but it is noisy and just not suited to being in a bedroom. We have found a new accessible location in the centre of the house with a direct route to an old disused aluminium vent/chimney to the roof (with cowel)!

There is even an electrical point and easy access to all the plumbing, so its all ready to be disconnected & relocated, but would regulations allow it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

LordSutch wrote: »
    Funny desigh of a house that we have means that up until now the boiler has lived in a bedroom, which has always been a bone of contention not just because its an eyesore, but it is noisy and just not suited to being in a bedroom. We have found a new accessible location in the centre of the house with a direct route to an old disused aluminium vent/chimney to the roof (with cowel)!

There is even an electrical point and easy access to all the plumbing, so its all ready to be disconnected & relocated, but would regulations allow it?

What boiler is it ? Most likely won't be able to be moved to that location because if it's in a bedroom I'm going to assume its a balanced flue appliance . It'd be better to leave it were it is and just upgrade to a new High efficiency boiler . Practically Silent , more attractive to look at and you'll save money aswell .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Halstad Best 50.

Its getting a bit long in the tooth now, (so a new boiler is certainly an option), specially as the Halstad has an annual issue with a noisy fan that jams, fixed only with a quick squirt of WD40 to the fan spindle, to get her going again :))

The location I have earmarked is an upstairs space back to back with the immersion cylinder, seperated by a studded wall made of heavy 3/4" ply. The disused aluminium flue is there above the space ready to be used. About seven feet in length from cupboard space to roof cowel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Halstad Best 50.

Its getting a bit long in the tooth now, (so a new boiler is certainly an option), specially as the Halstad has an annual issue with a noisy fan that jams, fixed only with a quick squirt of WD40 to the fan spindle, to get her going again :))

The location I have earmarked is an upstairs space back to back with the immersion cylinder, seperated by a studded wall made of heavy 3/4" ply. The disused aluminium flue is there above the space ready to be used. About seven feet in length from cupboard space to roof cowel.

The existing more than likely wont be suitable but a new vertical flue would be.

Halstad Best 50.

Defo replace boiler , and the space is no use , balanced flue boiler will require a new vertical balanced flue to be fitted from boiler and terminated on roof. Chimney is a no go

So the new space is no use, and the old vertical flue is no use either :(

It will stay in the bedroom then, (noisy old thing that it is). And I had so much hope to have the damned thing moved, with all those ugly blasted pipes running around the wall.

Thanks for all your posts.

• Advertisement

So the new space is no use, and the old vertical flue is no use either :(

It will stay in the bedroom then, (noisy old thing that it is). And I had so much hope to have the damned thing moved, with all those ugly blasted pipes running around the wall.

Thanks for all your posts.

You could always have the fan replaced , which is the part causing the noise

Yes the fan can be replaced, but that's the least of our worries. The current location of the boiler has always bothered me, it ruins the bedroom/ cupboard, and the associated pipework is an eyesore throughout because of the current location. The house has concrete floors so the pipes run externally along the skirting boards, and if I could just have relocated the boiler then all the pipework/rads could be very neatly re-done (with very little travel around the walls), but alas . . . . .

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Just a taught but does your attic have a gable wall that new boiler could be fitted to with a flue going up through the roof??

Yes the fan can be replaced, but that's the least of our worries. The current location of the boiler has always bothered me, it ruins the bedroom/ cupboard, and the associated pipework is an eyesore throughout because of the current location. The house has concrete floors so the pipes run externally along the skirting boards, and if I could just have relocated the boiler then all the pipework/rads could be very neatly re-done (with very little travel around the walls), but alas . . . . .

Thanks again.

I know what you mean , it's not ideal . Maybe the attic is an option as Roy suggested ? Though I would say if your going to the expense and trouble of moving it then I would advise you replace the boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Nobody can see the forest due to all the trees.

Replace your boiler with a high efficiency one in the new space that you would like to use. Forget your old chimney but replace it with new vertical balanced flue provided by the boiler manafacture for your type of instulation.

Call RGII regestered gas installer to have a look as a lot of rules & regulations have to be considered. + they can also recommend other location options.
    Advice and quotes are normally free.

What area are you in and maybe somebody here can help.?

• Advertisement

Just a thought but does your attic have a gable wall that new boiler could be fitted to with a flue going up through the roof??

Have considered that too, but the attic is tiny, I mean absolutely tiny, with just enough space for the water tank, and the only spare space in the house is the one I had earmarked, which may now be an option as scudo suggests? or not, depending on . . . .

I will now get out a plumer to have a look at the issues. Am putting in a Saniflo toilet under the stairs too, so I might use the old disused boiler flue as its expelair extractor vent? anyway, that still leaves me with somewhere to put the boiler, so its all going on. (You have all been very helpful).

Will post again when developements happen.

Have considered that too, but the attic is tiny, I mean absolutely tiny, with just enough space for the water tank, and the only spare space in the house is the one I had earmarked, which may now be an option as scudo suggests? or not, depending on . . . .

I will now get out a plumer to have a look at the issues. Am putting in a Saniflo toilet under the stairs too, so I might use the old disused boiler flue as its expelair extractor vent? anyway, that still leaves me with somewhere to put the boiler, so its all going on. (You have all been very helpful).

Will post again when developements happen.

Scudo is a copycat ;) that's what I said earlier , you will need a vertical balanced flue from boiler to roof , just can't use the chimney !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Could the boiler be put in the kitchen or utility & brae the concrete floors?
    A bit of short term disruption for a long term gain.

Also remember the gas must be relocated also, not just the heating pipes & if your are installing a HE boiler, consideration must be given to the condense discharge. I remember a couple of years ago, a guy rang me for a loan of my kango. He wanted to kango a hole in the kitchen floor to install a soakaway as the oil boiler was on an internal wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Egass13 wrote: »
    Scudo is a copycat ;) that's what I said earlier , you will need a vertical balanced flue from boiler to roof , just can't use the chimney !

Ahhh . Its how you say it that counts. !!

Advertisement