Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for driver identifier utility

Options
  • 30-12-2013 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I have a yellow triangle in Device Manager and don't know which driver I need. It is listed under Other Devices as PCI Device. The OS is Windows 2000 Server so I can't find the hardware ID in Properties, it's not listed. Was wondering if there's a utility I could use to identify the device.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check the PCi ID http://www.pcidatabase.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

If you can't get the hardware ID's from Windows, try ASTRA32.

It's great for finding out device names and ID's, but it can make your machine crash. Make sure you have no other tasks running and have any data you need saved before you run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Windows 2000 doesn't give the ID as far as I can see. Thanks anyway.

GreenWolfe wrote: »
    If you can't get the hardware ID's from Windows, try ASTRA32.

It's great for finding out device names and ID's, but it can make your machine crash. Make sure you have no other tasks running and have any data you need saved before you run it.
    Just after recovering this system from a motherboard failure so I'm still a bit twitchy! I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Edit: Didn't show the info on the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Some searching turned up this - KB244601: How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in Windows 2000

Relevant bit quoted below (my emphasis):
    You can view each component in your computer, including the drivers needed to make the components work. To view the components installed on your computer:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
    In the Computer Management dialog box, double-click System Tools.
    Double-click System Information, and then double-click the Components folder.
    Check the Problem Devices folder, located under the Components folder.

NOTE: Follow the steps on the previous method to view the Components folder.

The following columns are listed:

• Advertisement

That did it, thanks a million.

Advertisement