Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business/International Business in UL. What jobs?

Options
  • 30-12-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm 17 and currently in fifth year in secondary school. I'm really interested in business studies and I like the look of the two courses I mentioned above. For anyone who has experience, or who knows anyone who has completed these courses; what do you think of them? and also, is the employment rate of graduates following completing the course high? I would also love to do a postgrad in management as I would like to be a manager because I find managing people and resources very interesting. A good salary would also be a big motivator. I have heard a few people say that people who do business in college don't really get anywhere with their career.. Could anyone contribute to this statement and agree or disagree? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaron62

Hi,

I'm a 4th year Business with French student (majoring in economics and finance). I'm guessing if you're looking at Intl. Business that you are probably looking at one of the Business with language courses rather than just business. From what I know about Intl Business it is a good course, although I've always had some reservations about the act that it's an arts degree rather than a business degree (so keep that in mind!)

BBS with French is awesome, I'm not the biggest fan of business and plan on moving on to studying languages once I graduate. For the first 2 years of the course you take classes from each part of the course (accounting, finance, economics, insurance, management and marketing) so it makes choosing a major much easier in 2nd year! As for the French, it has been one of my 5 classes every semester and it's brilliant. The language also made it easier to go on Erasmus (I went to a Business School in France for 6 months) and I did my CoOp (work placement) in a French investment bank in Luxembourg for 8 months in from Jan-Aug this year.

As for careers, it can be tough. I mean, there will be 200+ accounting majors graduating this year, and that's not even including the people whose course is accounting! So there can be large numbers going for only a small few places afterwards. On the other end of the spectrum there is ~60 studying economics and only me and one other studies French so it's almost like my direct competition is one other person on the course of ~400 students!

Even if it's only a start a business degree is awesome to have, and if you're talking careers you need to have something to put you above everyone else. To be honest what I've learned from travelling is that if you limit yourself to only knowing English your job opportunities will fall faster than the housing market!

Advertisement