Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending Wifi 400m

Options
  • 30-12-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Looking to share my wifi with my sister who lives about 3-400m away. I have line of site from the top of my gable to her house, but its in between 2 houses that have wifi (maybe interference issues?).

What is the best (and cheapest) way to do it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Use 5ghz outdoor units

Run "outdoor" network cable to them

A pair of something like these :

http://www.aerial.net/shop/index.php?cPath=76_97

Then put something like this little thing :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1283369/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

in her house so she will have wireless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Wifi really is the only option. Outdoor cabling means you are limited to fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Thanks for that. Will order 2 of the m5 nanostations and see how they work.

Just to clarify, they only need a network cable running from my modem to it which it gets its power from on my end? But on the receiving end I presume it plugs into another modem which somehow sends out signal as wifi?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

gutteruu wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Will order 2 of the m5 nanostations and see how they work.

Just to clarify, they only need a network cable running from my modem to it which it gets its power from on my end? But on the receiving end I presume it plugs into another modem which somehow sends out signal as wifi?

I have that exact same kit linking two sites 6 miles apart.

You'll get a power over ethernet injector for each Nanostation like this.

TPL_POE_Injector-1.jpg

You wont need a modem for the far side. Just a switch or access point so clients can connect

Your Side : Modem -> Lan(Injector) -> Poe(Injector) -> Nanostation

Remote side : Hub/Switch/AP -> Lan(Injector) -> Poe(Injector) -> Nanostation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated. Just ordered 2 off donedeal.

6 miles :eek: wow

• Advertisement
Advertisement