Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im looking to purchase an existing business

Options
  • 30-12-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I have recently sold property and rather than reinvesting in a stagnant property market I would like to purchase or invest in an existing business which has good potential.

My maximum budget is 150k and I am interested in the following business types:

Manufacturing
    Retail
    Wholesale
    Vending
    Online with audited accounts
    Business with export potential.

I am also interested in small businesses which are relocatable and can be run part time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I doubt you will get much for your money in retail or wholesale unless you decide to start from scratch. What areas of expertise do you have? Stick with what you know better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

My background is in environmental consultancy and sales , retail wouldn't really excite me but I wouldn't rule out anything.

Its surprising really the lack of a decent online platform for buying/selling a business. There are thousands of businesses out there whose growth is being inhibited by a lack of finance from banks and I'm sure many of these would benefit from investment even if it meant releasing some equity in lieu of a cash injection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

siralan wrote: »

Its surprising really the lack of a decent online platform for buying/selling a business. There are thousands of businesses out there whose growth is being inhibited by a lack of finance from banks and I'm sure many of these would benefit from investment even if it meant releasing some equity in lieu of a cash injection.

That could be a good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

That could be a good business.

Aren't there loads of those already?

Can't vouch for any of them, maybe they just aren't very good at it. Maybe they are more to do with listings than actually helping people connect to broker business deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

The vast majority of businesses that would fall into that kind of price range would be lifestyle type operations with only very modest profits after owner/managers remuneration. The nett proceeds after CGT from 150k is not going to fund much of an income, retirees are probably your only mark. Many businesses bought their properties during the lending boom and are now burdened by loans that are often higher than the total nett worth.

You probably should look to businesses in your own or associated field for acquisition opportunities as you understand that business. Failing that, start your own from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 farfallaa

Well as someone working at a startup I can tell that many businesses face certain difficulties that relate to the lack of money. And that restricts a lot. We are also currently looking for an investment into our online gift store however it is an expertise & connections that we are looking for - not only money.. PM me and let me know what your requirements are - maybe we could think of something ;)

Advertisement