Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New in town and have questions

Options
  • 31-12-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey guys,

I just arrived Galway, already met a warm hearted taxi man taking me sight viewing the whole city.

Anyhow, I need to get some suggestions from you to begin my life here as a PhD student.

1. Sim card. So which company do you suggest ? Any good offer?

2. Bank. Which one would be more convenient and somehow cheaper?

3. Insurance. Specifically Health insurance for foreigners?

That's it so far....Looking forward to hearing you guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I took the liberty to change the title of the thread to more clearly reflect what it is about.
    1. Anyone really. I use prepay on three which is good imo. As you can take number with you if you move provider it doesn't matter so much who you start with.
    2. Ulster or PTSB. Again, you can change after a while if you like.
    3. Ring or visit at least 3 companies for quotes. Price is dependant on your specific situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Just get a PAYG network deal where you can get free texts so you can always contact people on any network. I'm on Three too like biko.

Search for insurance online. aviva, vhi, liberty are some of the main ones.

Banks - doubt there is much difference who you go with. perm tsb i hear best things about

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

The above suggestions re phones and insurance are good.
    Search online for the best insurance quote. If you have any trouble because you are new to the country, it might be worthwhile talking to a broker.
    A quick google gave: O'Leary, Future & Burke Insurance.

If you have a handset already, just pick up a sim card from 3, Meteor, O2, Vodafone.

In relation to banking, I see you are a Phd student. In that case, Bank of Ireland have a student bank right on the NUIG campus, AIB are just off campus, on Newcastle Road with Ulster Bank also on Newcastle Road near the hospital. They should hopefully be able to offer you student banking facilities (free).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Welcome to Galway.

Invest in good waterproof clothing. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zealano

Researching which health insurance plan suits you is made easier with the HIA comparison tool. http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Permanent tsb is free banking.

I made the switch to them with little hassle recently and am happy with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

If your a PHD student in N.U.I.G , then Bank of Ireland or AIB offer the best deals for students.

O2 offer the best deals for wifi ( €9.99 for 15g per month ) for students.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

On the SIM card front, in my experience vodafone have the best coverage in Galway, whatever you do don't go with Three, vast swathes of Galway city seem to be coverage blackspots. I'd often have calls drop out why walking through Woodquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Bank of Ireland are on campus in NUIG - no fees for students. 48 months for phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

biko wrote: »
    I took the liberty to change the title of the thread to more clearly reflect what it is about.
    1. Anyone really. I use prepay on three which is good imo. As you can take number with you if you move provider it doesn't matter so much who you start with.
    2. Ulster or PTSB. Again, you can change after a while if you like.
    3. Ring or visit at least 3 companies for quotes. Price is dependant on your specific situation.

You'd really recommend ulster bank with all their technical glitches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

john locke wrote: »
    You'd really recommend ulster bank with all their technical glitches?

yeah, was just gonna post this! AIB are probably the most reliable. as for the sim card, all of the networks do deals that can be pretty much tailored to specific needs ( i find vodafone to be the most versatile). with regards to the insurance you need to research that yourself to find what suits best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I'd recommend permanent TSB for banking. It is the easiest of any of the banks to get free banking. Most of the rest require a minimum balance to be kept in the account at all times to get free banking.

Advertisement