Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engaging with architects

Options
  • 31-12-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all.
    My apologies if this has been asked already. we would like to know if any architect will bill you for any consultation he/she has with you or do they only bill you in the event of you chosing their plan to build?

we would like to extend our property but would like to get ideas from a number of architects. We are worried that this will be prohibitively expensive. How does this ordinarily work?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It does not work like that.

Select/appoint your architect first. Then the architect does plans for consideration. Then pay (one architect).

It is a little bit of a leap of faith, but you base your decision on past work, references, whether or not you can get on with the architect and, of course, fees.

No architect will agree to do plans for free and/or 'give away' all their ideas in the hope they may get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Many architects will meet you to discuss your project in broad terms and show you examples of their work for a small fee or even a zero fee.
    Get all the "free ideas" you like from magazines and tv property shows. Expect to pay for ideas particular to your property, your brief, your budget.
    That requires work which you should be prepared to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

An architect should meet with you for free to discuss general approaches and draw up some some rough sketches on the spot - back of a napkin style.

Bring rough plans (drawn up yourself) or sketches of what is currently there so they have something to work off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-K2- wrote: »
    An architect should meet with you for free to discuss general approaches....

Generally yes.
    -K2- wrote: »
    ....and draw up some some rough sketches on the spot - back of a napkin style.

Why? Why should an architect do this for free???

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Generally yes.

Why? Why should an architect do this for free???

I'm speaking from my experience - met with 3 architects before picking one for my project and all of them sketched out what they thought would be the best approach and layout. By sketch I'm talking about a rough pencil drawing on tracing paper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement