Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League Darts 2014

• 31-12-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭

Barry Hearn confirmed that the 10 players for the Premier League will be announced on Sky on Jan 1st after the World Final

My guess

Taylor
    MvG
    Lewis
    Whitlock
    Wright
    Wade
    Thornton
    Anderson
    Barney
    Chizzy

Newton, Hamilton both have chances too. Think that Sky would have loved to get Hybrechts in but he didnt do enough at the Worlds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anderson is close enough - I think he will get in alright, though the fact that he is down to number 18 in the world now may raise some ire amongst the other players. He's very far away from being in on merit though his game against MVG helps his case.

These are the latest rankings with just the winning finalists prizemoney left to be added.
    http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings.aspx

Taylor
    MvG
    Lewis
    Whitlock
    Wright
    Wade
    Anderson
    Barney
    Chizzy

Sky to decide which of Thornton/Newton/Hamilton is least boring for the final place.
    Thornton to get it. Hey I've boringly come up with the same 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

how the **** is chizzy no 5 in worlds

anderson is a cert to get in
    wonder will they expand to 12 to keep everybody happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

sc86 wrote: »
    how the **** is chizzy no 5 in worlds

anderson is a cert to get in
    wonder will they expand to 12 to keep everybody happy

PDC tweeted that the the ten players will be announced after the world final so no twelve this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Say the 10 you named look likely Kev.

Only one I'd like to see in not there is Ian White but I don't know who I'd take out.

Barney but he's still a big draw or Thornton but he did well in it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Hankey is a possibility. Not a huge one but has a chance IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Degag wrote: »

Is he not going back to the bdo?

hes dark dark horse alright

he has said hes giving pdc good shot this year

He has no chance.

He's ranked 88th in the world and doesn't have the game or temperament for the week to week grind of the Premier League.

Say the players would go on strike if he got a wildcard.

mdwexford wrote: »
    He has no chance.

He's ranked 88th in the world and doesn't have the game or temperament for the week to week grind of the Premier League.

it would be wrong but its all about selling tickets
    barney does not deserve to be in it either but he will

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is it not six wildcards now and the top four? I honestly can't see chisnall in the premier league after his dire performance at the worlds. Money talks, and a Smith/Taylor rematch is more likely imo.
    I think webster might have an outside chance too
    Newton has to go in after appearing last year and making the quarters. Boring but deserves it much more than chisnall, hamilton, thornton or even barney (but he sells tickets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

it would be wrong but its all about selling tickets
    barney does not deserve to be in it either but he will

Tickets are mostly sold already

Necrominus wrote: »
    Is it not six wildcards now and the top four? I honestly can't see chisnall in the premier league after his dire performance at the worlds. Money talks, and a Smith/Taylor rematch is more likely imo.
    I think webster might have an outside chance too
    Newton has to go in after appearing last year and making the quarters. Boring but deserves it much more than chisnall, hamilton, thornton or even barney (but he sells tickets)

4 wildcards selected by PDC, 2 wildcards selected by Sky plus the top 4.

There was some rumours that James Wade was considering some time out from the game which could open another slot

KevIRL wrote: »
    4 wildcards selected by PDC, 2 wildcards selected by Sky plus the top 4.

There was some rumours that James Wade was considering some time out from the game which could open another slot

Ah I see. White is shoe-in one way or another. It seems awful hard to climb the rankings in the PDC, but easy to slip way back! Anderson is better than 18th in the world surely, has chisnall even won anything of note this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

He has no chance.

He definitely has a chance for the simple reason that Sky have 2 wildcards. They will pick these on the basis of how many viewers they will gain and Hankey would win way more viewers than the likes of Newton, White, Hamilton etc regardless of world ranking.

If he did anything of note, just getting to the semi's of a tournie this year, he'd probably be a shoo in.

Ah I see. White is shoe-in one way or another. It seems awful hard to climb the rankings in the PDC, but easy to slip way back! Anderson is better than 18th in the world surely, has chisnall even won anything of note this year?

White? Doubt he will get in at all tbh.

Chisnall has a high ranking and will make it I reckon

not a hope of white being in it, more chance of ollie croft getting a wildcard

KevIRL wrote: »
    White? Doubt he will get in at all tbh.

Chisnall has a high ranking and will make it I reckon

Sorry, I meant Wright! No I wouldn't see White making it now but again with Chisnall he simply wouldn't deserve it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sorry, I meant Wright! No I wouldn't see White making it now but again with Chisnall he simply wouldn't deserve it imo.

Not sure why you are putting White in the same sentence as Chisnail.
    Chizzy is miles ahead of him, 2 wins on the Players Tour this year (£10K winner events so no small cheese) plus another 6 quarter or semi final appearances, and on the TV events he was finalist in the Grand Prix in Dublin, quarter finalist in the World MatchPlay, and won out in Germany.

To talk of there being 10 players more deserving of a place ahead of him is, to be honest, clueless.

Not sure why you are putting White in the same sentence as Chisnail.
    Chizzy is miles ahead of him, 2 wins on the Players Tour this year (£10K winner events so no small cheese) plus another 6 quarter or semi final appearances, and on the TV events he was finalist in the Grand Prix in Dublin, quarter finalist in the World MatchPlay, and won out in Germany.

To talk of there being 10 players more deserving of a place ahead of him is, to be honest, clueless.

I have already stated I made a mistake. I was speaking of Wright - the World finalist? I haven't been impressed with Chisnall for a while to be honest, and Sky and the PDC are going to want to see ratings - not quality players. Sure you could argue Barney shouldn't have been in the Premier League a couple of times in recent years if we're talking quality - but again, ticket sales may dip as he is still one of the most popular players on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chippy81

taylor, van gerwen, Whitlock, Lewis, Wright, Wade, Barney chisnall, Thornton, Kim huybrechts

Anderson too far down rankings and blows hot and cold, Hamilton will lose a load of his ranking money from 2 years ago, Newton not much of a draw,
    More people will probably tune in to see
    Huybrechts girlfriend than anything else

• Advertisement

I know this might sound strange, but Anderson and his shirts, Wright and his new colourful clothes to go with the hair thing he's been doing for years, I wonder if they had an eye on the Prem League when they signed up to those deals? Of course it's sponsorship, but presume there are more restrained offers out there. Maybe they figure that if they were in or around the mark, this would make them more memorable for spectators. Course Wright has stomped his way through on performances anyway, and maybe Anderson has fallen too far off the pace. But maybe both figured if they were in the 9th, 10th ranking, this would be the "hook"?

are you drunk conor?

I know this might sound strange, but Anderson and his shirts, Wright and his new colourful clothes to go with the hair thing he's been doing for years, I wonder if they had an eye on the Prem League when they signed up to those deals? Of course it's sponsorship, but presume there are more restrained offers out there. Maybe they figure that if they were in or around the mark, this would make them more memorable for spectators. Course Wright has stomped his way through on performances anyway, and maybe Anderson has fallen too far off the pace. But maybe both figured if they were in the 9th, 10th ranking, this would be the "hook"?

Definitely with regards to Wright, and I think Nicholson has the right idea with the 'baddie' schtick. Unfortunately he doesnt have the game to back it up where as Wright does with the flamboyant-ness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭celt262

Taylor, Van gerwen, Whitlock, Lewis, Wright, Wade, Barney, Chisnall, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure

are you drunk conor?

Not at all, what's wrong with suggesting that players are dramatically flamboyant because it gives them an angle when it comes to the wild cards in the Prem League? Especially players like Wright and Anderson who may well have thought they'd be "on the brink" around now. I remember a few thinking that Mardles shirts and crowd pleasing antics served him well once when he got a wild card about 4 years back. Kev correctly referred to Nicholson, another who may think he needs to do something to make him more relevant when they are handing out the wild cards, because he wouldn't exactly stroll in. Course it also makes them more popular on the exhibition circuit, I'd say Peter Manley made a few pounds off the back of his image.

He definitely has a chance for the simple reason that Sky have 2 wildcards. They will pick these on the basis of how many viewers they will gain and Hankey would win way more viewers than the likes of Newton, White, Hamilton etc regardless of world ranking.

If he did anything of note, just getting to the semi's of a tournie this year, he'd probably be a shoo in.

He hasn't a prayer.

Why because he pulls some faces when he's playing crap and averages 90.
    Anyone who would rather Hankey in there instead of the 3 you mention isn't much of a darts fan.
    I have already stated I made a mistake. I was speaking of Wright - the World finalist? I haven't been impressed with Chisnall for a while to be honest, and Sky and the PDC are going to want to see ratings - not quality players. Sure you could argue Barney shouldn't have been in the Premier League a couple of times in recent years if we're talking quality - but again, ticket sales may dip as he is still one of the most popular players on tour.

Chisnall has been very unlucky since the Grand Prix and rarely averages less than 95. Doubles give him problems at times but he's easily in the top few in the world and deserves his place.

He hasn't a prayer.

Why because he pulls some faces when he's playing crap and averages 90.
    Anyone who would rather Hankey in there instead of the 3 you mention isn't much of a darts fan.

Chisnall has been very unlucky since the Grand Prix and rarely averages less than 95. Doubles give him problems at times but he's easily in the top few in the world and deserves his place.

Doubles giving him problems is probably the understatement of the year! Besides, he didn't appear last year so I don't see how he can be such a definite yes for the premier league. Anderson, regardless of ranking now,is only one of a select few who actually won the Premier League a few years back.

He wouldn't be doing as well as he is without hitting doubles.

Because he's number 7 in the world and is a big scorer and 180 hitter.

He wouldn't be doing as well as he is without hitting doubles.

Because he's number 7 in the world and is a big scorer and 180 hitter.

Correction - WAS number 7 in the world. Peter Wright has just taken that slot.

• Advertisement

Not till tomorrow but thanks.

Not like that has much bearing on what your saying.

Advertisement