Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League Darts 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Wade must be fairly gutted.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Read that on Twitter.

Madness him being left out then.

How the fcuk did Newton scam it, no one seems to like him, other players have done more. Don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

The only thing likeable about newton is his entrance song :-)

"these are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mdwexford wrote: »
    Read that on Twitter.

Madness him being left out then.

How the fcuk did Newton scam it, no one seems to like him, other players have done more. Don't get it

Hatchet job on Wade - they never really made clear exactly what his 4 event ban was for earlier in the season, and I'm guessing now that he pissed a few of the senior admins off at the time, probably told a few home truths to the Hearn sycophants on the board. And now theyve got their revenge.

Everyone at the 15 PL venues should write Justice for Wade on their placards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lol 75% of the idiots at the PL venues will barely know who he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Hatchet job on Wade - they never really made clear exactly what his 4 event ban was for earlier in the season, and I'm guessing now that he pissed a few of the senior admins off at the time, probably told a few home truths to the Hearn sycophants on the board. And now theyve got their revenge.
    Disgrace that Wade was left out. Newton is Boring to watch and has no chance of winning at all. If it was down to me I would have Left Barney out, very bad attitude and most weeks he looks like he would rather be off somewhere else sulking, but unfortunately he sells tickets.

Wade did himself no favours in the video below. The PDC or Barry Herne don’t like people to have opinions.

He was 100% in what he said about certain players getting special treatment from SKY and the PDC. I remember Mark Walsh having a pop about the same thing a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I dont agree with Newton and Anderson being selected.
    They were the two who were 'relegated' last year. Surely that should mean that they miss a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Whatever about leaving Wade out Hearne should never have alluded to his mental health problems as justification. I was surprised he did and it seemed to me like a dig at him to be honest.

Wade did the right thing by putting out a reasoned and coherent statement.

I'd agree that Barney can count himself lucky. He comes across as bit sulky and doesn't seem to be enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

mackeire wrote: »
    They were the two who were 'relegated' last year. Surely that should mean that they miss a year.

And both might not be far off relegation, if not relegated again. Newton in particular, he was not suited to it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mackeire wrote: »

This would actually be a fun rule, even if they made it something like 'get relegated and you wont be considered next year unless you win a TV tournament or reach two finals'.
    (The getout clause would help if someone like Lewis got relegated as they obviously wouldn't want him to miss out the following year)
    gramar wrote: »
    Whatever about leaving Wade out Hearne should never have alluded to his mental health problems as justification. I was surprised he did and it seemed to me like a dig at him to be honest.

This is a good point alright, 'Dr' Hearn suddenly being an authority on what is best for people suffering from mental illnesses is quite hard to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭leoch

yea hearn a twat for talking about wades health problems alright but I wonder who else is on this committee he keeps talking about that does the picking

Once a winner, twice a runner up...much and all as I don't like him, it looks like he's been treated very badly here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I am curious about barneys sulking. What's his problem?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's an awful decision by the PDC to leave Wade out. Wade is currently ranked number 6 in the world, Gary Anderson is ranked 18th. Wade is ahead of Newton,Barney, Thornton and Wright. Out of the top ten ranked players in the World, 9 of them are in the Premier League with only Wade left out. It's a complete joke and makes another mockery of a poor tournament.

I am curious about barneys sulking. What's his problem?

As soon as somebody starts beating him he starts to sulk gives up and then starts to blame everybody/everything but himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Havent watched darts in a few years until recently and cant believe the way Barney now is, what happened him? always whinging and not half the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You're only as good as your form. Taylor destroyed Barney IMO. It killed him to eventually realise there was someone better than him and there wasn't much he could do about it.
    Barney is a nice guy but displays the worst kind of arrogance in blaming everything around him for his poor form. It's like he has it in his head that he's better than his opponent that beats him therefore there must be another reason as to why he lost. That's where all the constant changing of darts, changing management and undertaking hypnotherapy sessions all stems from.

If he just accepted his standing in the game and got on with it he would be right up there at the business end of everything he enters. Still a fantastically capable darts player with the most effortless action on his throw. Such a shame he has to drop the head and start looking for excuses.

Here is Rob Harrington’s view on why wade didn’t make the premier league. Load of sh#te…

http://www1.skysports.com/darts/news/23102/9105726/

There are two debutants in the Premier League this year - Peter Wright and Dave Chisnall - and I think both are going to do a great job.

Wright proved his ability with his run to the World Final and you have to remember that this is a show and people will love you if you hit lots of 180's - and Chisnall does that. I think he will probably win more than he loses. He has the ability to go on and do some great things.

It's a really good Premier League this year and, as always, some people will miss out. James Wade has had a well-documented illness and as Barry Hearn said, that has caused problems for him in the game and nobody likes to see that.

We all want him to get over it and get back to being the player that he was because you can't question his talent, but at the PDC we felt he needed a break. It was a massive decision by the board.

You could see James getting very frustrated, especially in his interviews, and we just felt that he needed a break. The Premier League will be a gruelling 16 weeks with Tour events on the weekends to play on top. We felt that may be too much for him.

Barry Hearn confirms the line up for the 2014 Premier League darts.

Of course I understand that he's disappointed. If I was him I would be gutted, but I would also sit down and think about why it has been done. The decision was a huge one and it's not been taken lightly because we know it's taken a big chunk of money away from someone, but we have to look after the business of this game and look after every player.

Business decisions have to be made whether an individual likes it or not and a decision was made that was best for the business and that, we felt, was for the best of the health of James Wade.

We now hope he bounces back and proves us all wrong. I like James because he's a brilliant darts player and has got more bottle than 10 of the players in the top 32 put together.

Of course he's going to be missed from the Premier League because he's a great player, but decisions have to be made and we have to stand by them.
    Miss out

I think the only other person that can be disappointed to miss out is Andy Hamilton because he was number 11 in the world, but Sky chose Raymond van Barneveld (world number 10) and Gary Anderson (world number 18) as their wildcard picks.

Hamilton is a larger-than-life guy who entertains the crowd, but Sky felt Anderson was more of a crowd-pleaser than some of the other players in the mix.

Anderson can count himself very lucky after last year's performance when he finished bottom of the table and based on that he doesn't deserve to be in. But there are signs that he's coming back to form and there's no question if he does that then he's a brilliant darts player who will entertain the crowd with his high scoring.

Wes Newton will benefit from last season in the Premier League. He doesn't seem to do it consistently on TV and he needs to stop worrying about what people think and say about him. If he thinks the pundits have said something wrong then he should get up there and prove us wrong.

The Premier League just seems to get better every year and overall the game is in great shape. I'm so pleased to be a part of the PDC and to go to all of the tournaments, in particular the Youth Tour and the Challenge Tour.

This year's Q-School starts on January 16 and anyone can enter via the PDPA website. We are putting £160,000 prize money into the Challenge Tour and £100,000 into Youth tournaments in 2014, so the rewards are very good!

That shows the commitment we are putting in to find more great players like Michael Smith, who knocked Taylor out of the World Championship. We have more players like that coming through, who just need a bit more experience on the big stage.

Those tours will be great because people can treat it as a job rather than a game of darts down the pub. The game is in great shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd much rather see Hamilton on the Premier League than Barney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Would anyone know of any tickets for the ground floor tables for the o2 in March ?

Also, tickets like in the link below, is that the price for a table for say 4/5/6 ? Or is that the price for one person

http://www.viagogo.ie/Sports-Tickets/Other-Sports/Darts/Premier-League-Darts-Tickets/E-578523

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They've been sold out for months now. The website above is a premium ticket reselling website. The prices are per ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Told me friends the tickets would sell out near instantly, the floor ones at least, but now that the event is getting close is when they think we should get the tickets.

Can you recall a time when floor seats were on any of these for near face value, in the weeks leading up to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Told me friends the tickets would sell out near instantly, the floor ones at least, but now that the event is getting close is when they think we should get the tickets.

Can you recall a time when floor seats were on any of these for near face value, in the weeks leading up to it

pre sale is your only hope of getting table tickets at face value....get yourself sorted nice and early around September time for next year!!

Kingp - are you running the predictions league again this year? Made the PL much more enjoyable last season

KevIRL wrote: »
    Kingp - are you running the predictions league again this year? Made the PL much more enjoyable last season

Yeah I'll do it again this year Kev, it made it a lot more interesting for me too because I'm really a fan of the tournament.
    I'll set up the thread tomorrow.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll do it again this year Kev, it made it a lot more interesting for me too because I'm really a fan of the tournament.
    I'll set up the thread tomorrow.

Good man. My title that shall be defended with great gusto :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Not really PL related but Taylor is after signing with Target Darts.
    Might affect his performances for the PL as he usually doesn't play well when he switches darts and has reverted back to the Rossos on many occasions.
    Huge coup for Target though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

Hey lads. What's the time frame like at one of these night? starting time and so on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Damokc wrote: »
    Hey lads. What's the time frame like at one of these night? starting time and so on?

TV coverage starts at 7 with the first game starting at quarter past. Last game usually finishes around 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

statto25 wrote: »
    TV coverage starts at 7 with the first game starting at quarter past. Last game usually finishes around 10.

Cheers Statto, i'm actually heading to the O2 for it but was just wondering how the night would go.:P

Advertisement