Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League Darts 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Damokc wrote: »
    Cheers Statto, i'm actually heading to the O2 for it but was just wondering how the night would go.:P

I figured that. If you want to be in for the whole event be there before seven to get your seat/table and a pint or whatever. Lots of people seem to turn up during the first game which can crowd the bars and delay getting to where you are sitting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The queues outside were quite long last year too as they were searching everyone going in so make sure to give yourself a bit of time to get in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Thought you wernt allowed football colours etc at the Darts

Thats 2 Celtic flags I seen now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thought you wernt allowed football colours etc at the Darts

Thats 2 Celtic flags I seen now

Very relaxed in Dublin is imagine especially for Celtic flags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

What's the story with Newton? When he walked on stage, he didn't really acknowledge the crowd- just had a big sour head on him? And he's still doing it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

phkk wrote: »
    What's the story with Newton? When he walked on stage, he didn't really acknowledge the crowd- just had a big sour head on him? And he's still doing it??

He did that already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Wright's hair looks the business for the night that is in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Wright is so unlucky, nearly came away with a draw but for a piece of brilliance from van Gerwen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

What happened between Wright and MvG?

Degag wrote: »
    What happened between Wright and MvG?

MvG went 6-2 up. Wright pulled it back to 6-5 and only had to hold his throw for a draw but MvG took out 134 I think it was to win 7-5.

• Advertisement

jebforever wrote: »
    MvG went 6-2 up. Wright pulled it back to 6-5 and only had to hold his throw for a draw but MvG took out 134 I think it was to win 7-5.

Sorry, I meant whats the needle between them. Came in late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wright stopped at last dart at a 161 checkout attempt and went behind MvG and started orchestrating the crowd, MvG wasnt happy at all and rattled off 4 legs on the bounce before Wright could recover a bit. Few verbals exchanged too on stage and a grudging late handshake at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Wright needed to hit the bull to win a game,he stoped and started prancing around the stage geting the crowd going.He missed the bull ,but MVG wasent impressed.

Come on Barney, you got this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It goes back longer than that, commentators were saying Wright said a few years back that MVG would never make it, and they dont like each other at all

I can understand why, Seem like 2 D**** to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

To be successful in darts I think you need to be ruthless and have that confidence maybe even arrogance that makes pushes you on. Players like Lewis, Taylor, Mvg maybe even James Wade have that kind of persona. After a big score or checkout they will "give it large" so to speak by turning to the crowd or walking past a player towards the front of the stage. Wrights approach to this is all wrong though and can only be seen as a way to get under his opponents skin. This "showman" excuse Sky are using to be explain a player throwing two perfect darts before turning his back on the board to engage the crowd is a lame one. He did the same to Lewis earlier in the league and Sky brushed it under the carpet. Wright is an excellent player but this character he tries to portray is not my cup of tea. Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Mardle and Harrignton were trying to make out that what Wright did was ok and that
    MvG shouldn't have gotten annoyed about it. I don't agree. Wright tried to get under his skin and was probably a bit unsportsmanlike a few times. Had he done it to Phil or Barney I'm sure they would have pulled him up on it too.

That little stoop when throwing at 20 isn't necessary. Going for the Bull on a 161 and playing up to the crowd isn't either but that wouldn't bother me as he's building himself up for a fall. There was also a few times when he was geeing up the crowd while MvG was throwing and that I'd say was what got up MvG's nose the most.

It's great to have characters and a bit of bad blood between players as there are no great rivalries anymore but there are times and ways to annoy your opponent and I'd say Wright didn't choose either very well.

His interview saying he was going to 'smash' him in the next round won't do him any favours and may just build him up for another fall. He says he just likes to enjoy his darts and keep himself to himself but he knows how to act the knob too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I like MVG and I've seen him a few times doing exhibitions and he comes across very well but he was being a complete bell end last night about Wrights crowd interaction and general playacting. Has MVG not seen Wright play darts before? It's what he does and 50% of the reason he's in the Premier league this year, don't take it personally MVG he does it to other players there's no need to be so paranoid.
    Wright got an earful from sky last week for not being himself against Barney.
    I reckon MVG knows he overreacted last night aswel because in the post match interview he kept sucking upto the crowd trying to keep up his popular persona.
    In my opinion it's one of the worst things he could have done because I'm going to a sold out exhibition tonight in Cobh featuring him and I know for a fact there's going to be big groups of people singing Peter Wright chants and I'd guess there will be a few of his opponents turning to the crowd tonight to emulate Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Didn't see the incident last night but Wright has done that thing where he plays up to the crowd before the last dart at least three or four times on tv in the last few months.

Van Gerwen gives it loads with fist pumps every time he hits anything so he can't say a word to anyone. His attitude stinks since he improved 18 months ago, he's turning into an unlikeable full of himself ass imo.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Didn't see the incident last night but Wright has done that thing where he plays up to the crowd before the last dart at least three or four times on tv in the last few months.

Van Gerwen gives it loads with fist pumps every time he hits anything so he can't say a word to anyone. His attitude stinks since he improved 18 months ago, he's turning into an unlikeable full of himself ass imo.

I'd agree with you. He has turned into a bit of a dick and does seem fairly full of himself but I don't mind fist pumps and the like from anyone once it's not done in another players face which in MVG's case I don't think he does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There was some good matches last night and it was mostly an enjoyable night. There was far too much booing from the crowd for my liking though and I saw a total of 6 fights, one lad was beaten up pretty bad, which is not something you want to see especially as there was a lot of kids there last night.

I don't like Peter Wrights antics with turning to the crowd and crouching when throwing a dart. MvG does go over the top with his fist pumping but he still has every right to complain, it's a ridiculous thing for Wright to do. His comments after the match too saying he is going to smash MvG the next time they meet are laughable too, he has played him 6 time son tv and lost all 6 so he needs to stop the play acting on concentrate on throwing darts or he is going to turn into the next Paul Nicholson, all talk and no show.

As for Whitlock he is a shadow of the player of 3 years ago. It's well known that he has a massive drink problem, it's reported he drinks a bottle of whiskey before every game and drinks every day. He needs to get his drinking problem sorted asap or he's going to plummet down the rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There was some good matches last night and it was mostly an enjoyable night. There was far too much booing from the crowd for my liking though and I saw a total of 6 fights, one lad was beaten up pretty bad, which is not something you want to see especially as there was a lot of kids there last night.

I don't like Peter Wrights antics with turning to the crowd and crouching when throwing a dart. MvG does go over the top with his fist pumping but he still has every right to complain, it's a ridiculous thing for Wright to do. His comments after the match too saying he is going to smash MvG the next time they meet are laughable too, he has played him 6 time son tv and lost all 6 so he needs to stop the play acting on concentrate on throwing darts or he is going to turn into the next Paul Nicholson, all talk and no show.

As for Whitlock he is a shadow of the player of 3 years ago. It's well known that he has a massive drink problem, it's reported he drinks a bottle of whiskey before every game and drinks every day. He needs to get his drinking problem sorted asap or he's going to plummet down the rankings.

Where was it reported that he had a drink problem? I never heard that before. I was wondering alright why his form had taken a nose dive. It's sad to see. It will be a blow to his morale and wallet if he doesn't make it into the premier league next year which doesn't look likely now you would have to say.

Was at the darts myself last night. Brother got us amazing tickets. Couldn't believe it when I went in. We were a few rows from the very front at the tables. I think I even made it on TV!!! enjoyable night but there are always a few gobsh1tes around to spoil it for everyone, the vast majority of which never watch darts or the premier league on a regular basis. It puts me off going tbh.

For me the PL is ten top darts players slugging it out on stage while the 10,000 strong crowd have a pissed up sing song most of which is oblivous to what is going on. I was close to turning of the volume last night so I couldn't the roaring and signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Where has this been reported??

I don't know anything about Whitlock drinking or not but this is an extract from an interview with the Guardian in July 2012:

How many hours a day do you practice?
    When I do practice it's usually about two hours. I tend to just practice doubles and bullseyes.

Not treble 20s?
    No hardly at all. Maybe 5% of my practice.

If that's all he practises then it might explain why his form is not so hot.

Have a read of this thread
    http://www.thedartsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?17909-Whitlock

He has always been a big drinker but it's supposedly getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was at it myself. Was about 10 rows from the front and thankfully didn't see any trouble.
    The only thing I saw was a girl fall down the steps about 9 rows from the front. Looked pretty serious because the paramedics and a stretcher were needed.
    Anyway, some enjoyable games, particularly MVG's one and Barney v Taylor.
    Loads of people are just there to get bladdered though. A few people near me could barely stand when it started and were practically vegetables by the end. Don't see the point of it myself. I doubt they even remember the night.
    I'd be very reluctant to bring a kid to it as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd be very reluctant to bring a kid to it as well!

This little fecker had a great night :D:D

5720hazel.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

I thought Wright and the crowd let themselves down last night, a Mexican wave Added to,a Poznan, I'd say half the people did not know there was a darts match on, disrespect to players when throwing it's darts Jim but not as we know it.

• Advertisement

he needs to stop the play acting on concentrate on throwing darts or he is going to turn into the next Paul Nicholson, all talk and no show.
    Think that's rather unfair. He's probably achieved more in the last 6 months than Nicholson has achieved in his whole career.

Saying that, I thought what he did last night by turning around to the crowd before throwing for bull was out of order. Can't really have helped him either. Don't see what the problem was with him bending down a bit - as usual Mardle and Sky making a story out of nothing.

Advertisement