Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League Darts 2014

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Get in Barney! Delighted

Both players not on top of their game though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Get in Barney! Delighted

Both players not on top of their game though

when he was 4-1 down I was thinking ffs Barney not again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

when he was 4-1 down I was thinking ffs Barney not again!

So was I. I had given up on him. Taylor let him back in though, his game just dropped out of nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

A game of two halves...Taylor got off to a good start but RvB finished the stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Is it me or is Pike being very biased in the commentary here. He is hyping up Brown massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭CSF

unknown13 wrote: »
    Is it me or is Pike being very biased in the commentary here. He is hyping up Brown massively.
    Ah of course they're gonna do that, they're the same with Peter Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Barney Wins! Barney Wins! Barney Wins! Barney Wins!

that is the Barney we used to know!

Delighted for him. And to do it by beating Taylor and Van Gerwen is brilliant.

It's great to see him winning tournaments again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Massive fan of Barney, well used to be. I couldn't make the start tonight so recorded it - at 3-1, then 4-1 down i was flying through a few legs cos i honestly cannot watch him when he starts that shakin the head nonsense. Or half throwing the bloody darts into the board. Its a horrible trait in his personality and one that is more puzzling when you see how he played against MVG he came out of the traps. The guy must have nightmares about Taylor up until tonight.

What a crazy game though, although it kind of mirrored a few previous Taylor Barney bouts when Barney is dying then comes back from nowhere. I'd say Taylor is still trying to figure out how on earth he just lost that. Never seen Taylor hit so many 7's instead of 19's ...

Its great that he won it though, he badly needed it. Can get back to being a professional player now and stop moaning about the bad years everytime he gets on a mic.

Gona go through the predictions thread now to see if anyone seen that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Massive fan of Barney, well used to be. I couldn't make the start tonight so recorded it - at 3-1, then 4-1 down i was flying through a few legs cos i honestly cannot watch him when he starts that shakin the head nonsense. Or half throwing the bloody darts into the board. Its a horrible trait in his personality and one that is more puzzling when you see how he played against MVG he came out of the traps. The guy must have nightmares about Taylor up until tonight.

What a crazy game though, although it kind of mirrored a few previous Taylor Barney bouts when Barney is dying then comes back from nowhere. I'd say Taylor is still trying to figure out how on earth he just lost that. Never seen Taylor hit so many 7's instead of 19's ...

Its great that he won it though, he badly needed it. Can get back to being a professional player now and stop moaning about the bad years everytime he gets on a mic.

Gona go through the predictions thread now to see if anyone seen that coming!

Barney talked about being depressed for years. Depression is an illness, not just "moaning" or something you can shake off and get on with. Fair play to him for having the courage to talk about it. Whatever about him playing good darts I hope he stays healthy.

• Advertisement

qwabercd wrote: »
    Barney talked about being depressed for years. Depression is an illness, not just "moaning" or something you can shake off and get on with. Fair play to him for having the courage to talk about it. Whatever about him playing good darts I hope he stays healthy.

Hold a sec, does depression cause you to shake your head every time the game is not going your way? To throw away Darts only when you are losing? That's not a mental health issue its called ****ing moaning!

Fair play to him indeed for talking about it and yes i hope there is more to come from the big man cos when he is on song like he has been he is a joy to watch.

Depression ... an illness? REALLY! Pft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Yes, depression is an illness. If Barney has been suffering from depression the last few years maybe the times he shook his head or threw away a dart his mind was telling him "it's over, don't bother" You cant help or control this without professional help which he had recently. James Wade suffers from bi-polar and gets bouts of depression and does the exact same thing in games, he throws away darts. We don't know what goes on in the minds of these people so to dismiss their condition is not fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

delighted for mvg, cant stand him anymore
    lucky to beat anderson
    anderson must feal he should have won but great performance from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Hold a sec, does depression cause you to shake your head every time the game is not going your way? To throw away Darts only when you are losing? That's not a mental health issue its called ****ing moaning!

That's exactly what it does. People who suffer from depression find it difficult to motivate themselves to do anything, often things they once passionately enjoyed doing, and generally lose belief in their ability as a result. When things start going wrong, a person in the midst of depression will find it difficult to maintain whatever motivation and self belief they have managed to muster up to that point.

Yes, depression is very much an illness. Just ask anyone who has suffered from it to share their experiences of depression with you if you are in any doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Delighted for Barney last night. I'm a massive fan of his but he has been very frustrating to watch the last few years particularly against Taylor. Taylor has been there for the taking on the last few occasions they met but for some reason Barney just hasn't taken advantage of it. His win last night was reminiscent of the world final in 2007 when he came from well behind to win.

Once he got over Taylor in the semi I knew he had a great chance against MvG. MvG is much better than Taylor at the moment but Raymond just doesn't have the same fear for MvG regardless of how well he (MvG) is playing, hence his performance against him last night.

I hope Barney takes great confidence from this for the big comps later in the year.

Well done Barney, I'm not a fan as I think he's as dull as dishwater but he showed great resolve last night in both matches and deserved to win. After 3 or 4 legs in the semi he looked down and out but capitalised well when Phil started to struggle.

MvG seems to try too hard sometimes when he's under pressure and when he had to pull a few legs back towards the end he was struggling to score. He didn't play his best darts but he's been saying that a good bit recently.

Taylor looks like he's feeling the pressure like never before. Still hard to beat but not unbeatable like in his heyday.

I would have liked to see Anderson win it. He's been in great form and he's good to watch.

Yes, depression is very much an illness. Just ask anyone who has suffered from it to share their experiences of depression with you if you are in any doubt.

Indeed it is ... i've talked to many about it before and it effects people differently. In Barneys case, it is sad to see the almost multiplied effect it has when he plays Taylor almost amplified than towards any other player. Must be in his nightmares over the years.

gramar wrote: »
    Well done Barney, I'm not a fan as I think he's as dull as dishwater but he showed great resolve last night in both matches and deserved to win. After 3 or 4 legs in the semi he looked down and out but capitalised well when Phil started to struggle.

MvG seems to try too hard sometimes when he's under pressure and when he had to pull a few legs back towards the end he was struggling to score. He didn't play his best darts but he's been saying that a good bit recently.

Taylor looks like he's feeling the pressure like never before. Still hard to beat but not unbeatable like in his heyday.

I would have liked to see Anderson win it. He's been in great form and he's good to watch.

On MVG, he could find it hard to keep his A game going as the schedule is very heavy. Lewis is a prime example of that. Anderson was playing the better of the two and probably rues a few missed chances. Was a huge chance for him to win it missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Van Gerwen averaged over 100 in both games, nothing wrong with that.

People have to remember as has been touched on above that Barney is scared to death of Taylor. He isn't afraid of Van Gerwen. He's actually ahead of Michael in head to heads.

Anderson is very close to being back to his best at last, he has a big one in him somewhere soon.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Van Gerwen averaged over 100 in both games, nothing wrong with that.

People have to remember as has been touched on above that Barney is scared to death of Taylor. He isn't afraid of Van Gerwen. He's actually ahead of Michael in head to heads.

Anderson is very close to being back to his best at last, he has a big one in him somewhere soon.

MvG's average is very high in general but he can be hot and cold. He can hit 11 and 12 darts legs on his own throw but struggle on his opponents. When he held his own throw in the final last night he was throwing 12-13 dart legs but rarely attacked Barney's throw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

gramar wrote: »
    MvG's average is very high in general but he can be hot and cold. He can hit 11 and 12 darts legs on his own throw but struggle on his opponents. When he held his own throw in the final last night he was throwing 12-13 dart legs but rarely attacked Barney's throw.

Barney played very well in the final which was high quality.

I'd be more inclined to give Barney credit for the final than saying MVG was below par.

Van Gerwen usually does blow a bit hot and cold. Just when he hits his purple patch he blows people away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Barney won last night, Anderson made it to the semis and gave a very good performance. How many of us thought Barney and Anderson didn't deserve to be in the Premier League when the picks were announced during the World Championship final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭leoch

Great to see barney win but overall I think it was the best premier league so far

Advertisement