Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible GPU problem

Options
  • 31-12-2013 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, wondering if you could help me out with this problem I've been having since last night.

I was doing my usual bit of gaming and browsing and while sitting on the desktop, my GPU's fans suddenly hit full speed. I got a bit worried and immediately turned the PC off. Turned it back on and ever since then, I get as far as the desktop for the first few seconds, where my GPU instantly loses connection to my monitor and I'm greeted with "No Signal Found".

Nothing at all seems to be helping. I've tried reseating the card and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers but nothing's helping. Can anybody help me with this?

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, ASrock P68 Pro3 mobo, 8GB RAM, i5 2500k and card is a Club3D Radeon 6970, setup's just over 2 years old

EDIT: Think it's also important to note I'm running my PC in safe mode right now and it's displaying fine via the GPU, but anything other than safe mode just doesn't work so I don't think the GPU's totally fried as I initially thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Hmm...completely remove the old drivers and then reinstall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Hmm...completely remove the old drivers and then reinstall?

I wanted to wipe all of the ATI drivers and install the latest batch of drivers but Catalyst Control Centre won't let me install them in safe mode. I've had another development too. I tried booting up the PC again in regular mode using the GPU and as soon as I got to a black screen on the desktop after the welcome screen where only the mouse was visible, I immediately hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the menu where you can choose to select the task manager, lock the computer, etc. The computer's completely stable on this screen but as soon as I click to go back out to the desktop, the screen goes back, the GPU's fan speeds up for a second and the entire PC locks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Can you completely remove the old drivers in safe mode and then just boot back into normal mode or have you done that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Can you get into VGA mode from the safe mode screen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the Intel HD Graphics driver.

I added more memory to it in BIOS, disabled it in Windows and I don't know what else. Took a lot of graphics card swapping, driver installs and bluescreens before I figured out it was not a problem with the VGA card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement