Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a 'Plan' is needed to travel to Oz?

Options
  • 31-12-2013 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm graduating in May and dying to see the world. Would love nothing more than to head over to Oz for a year at least.

Only thing is I don't have much of a plan. I would love to have a job organised before I head over but is this achievable for someone straight out of college? I'd have no problem working in a bar or waiting tables and hopefully get something more related to my degree once I get settled.

Would appreciate any info from past/current experiences. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

depends on what your degree is? having a job organised before you arrive is achievable but unlikely, especially in something related to your degree.

once you have your visa, flights booked, first few nights accommodation, and money in the bank, not much of a 'plan' is needed if spending a year here.

if you're dying to see the world, may be worth looking a bit further afield. Oz is a western culture and not all that different to Ireland, except great fecking weather!! its a good place to hit up first to earn some cash, and then go experience some very different cultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TBH dude, you really dont need that much planning.
    If you arent afraid off grafting you can get work laboring till you find something in your field. Id go again in the morning if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I'm leaving on monday and originally made the decision in late July to move over to Oz for the year. I don't feel like i've done much planning.

-Got Visa
    -Booked Flights
    -Saved Money
    -Got in touch with some contacts over there to see about the prospects of work etc.

There isn't really a great degree of planning needed. Money will be the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

I would suggest you visit every country you want to BEFORE you come to Australia.

I have met many travellers who reached Australia and never left even though that was their initial plan.

So my advice is leave Australia as your last place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭smithirl

Alanhooly wrote: »
    I'm leaving on monday and originally made the decision in late July to move over to Oz for the year. I don't feel like i've done much planning.

-Got Visa
    -Booked Flights
    -Saved Money
    -Got in touch with some contacts over there to see about the prospects of work etc.

There isn't really a great degree of planning needed. Money will be the key.

How did you go about getting accommodation?

Fair play to you and hope you have a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

smithirl wrote: »

Well i'm lucky in the sense that I have a couple of cousins over there so we are staying with them for the first couple of nights. I have a strong lead to follow as regards work. I expressed an interest in hurling with a club and straight away I had gotten a couple of phone numbers of people who will "Help you out no problem". I know a lot of this talk goes on so i'm not taking anything for granted whatsoever!

Hope your plans work out for you too. Go for it. It should be a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

smithirl wrote: »

backpacker hostels are the best place to start, unless you have friends already setup with a vacant couch.

the hostels are great craic at first but the novelty wears off soon enough.

Advertisement