Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does your dog sleep?

• 31-12-2013 8:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I am reading about that around and I thought to make a quick poll if people are interested.
    Not to judge anybody, just to see.. wondering about my choice of dogs in the bed :P
    My dogs sleep in my room on their dog beds and/or on my bed

where does your dog sleeps (and maybe why) 212 votes

In my room in their bed
    0% 0 votes
    In my bed
    10% 23 votes
    In another room
    25% 55 votes
    In a shelter / outside
    63% 134 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

one of my dogs sleeps on the end of my bed and the others have dog beds in the bedroom. Sometimes one of them will stay in the kitchen for a bit and then join us for snoozes later in the evening. None of my dogs sleep outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mine used to sleep in his crate when the cat was alive, as the cat slept with us and would never allow the dog on the bed.

Now the dog's decided that since the cat went the bed's the only place he'll sleep. If it was good enough for the cat, it's certainly good enough for him!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The golden retriever is pretty elderly and has spent the last few years on old cushions and old blankets under the living room table

The sheepdog is very hardy and likes to sleep in the farmyard. Lots of sheds and straw up there. She used to have a kennel only the cat took it over for herself when she was having kittens and the cat owns it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

One on my bed (although sometimes he sleeps in his bed on the floor in my room) and pup in her crate in my room. During the day they rotate between couch/floor/dog bed/crate :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

He sleeps in a blanket in the kitchen. Seems to have mastered the art of constructing a cocoon with it so that he's completely covered.

We gave him a dog bed at various times but he always just drags the blanket from it and sleeps on that on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

My three dogs have their own room, they have 2 beds, the two bigger girls sleep one each and the little one alternates depending on who he pissed off more that day haha

Wouldnt put a dog outside to sleep, I would give them my room and bed and id sleep outside before putting them outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My dog sleeps outside in her kennel.

She is a Border Collie X and always wants to be on patrol and to know whats going on outside. We tried keeping her in before but she will get agitated and want to go outside to see whats happening at any little noise.

I would happily leave her inside at night but she seems to prefer outside, she has a large dry kennel and her thick double coat seems to ensure shes warm enough the whole time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One at the bottom of the stairs in his bed and another in our room in her bed.

Both of them given half a chance would be up on the bed in a big family pile, but we don't let them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Indoors. In his crate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My kcc sleeps in a big bed in the kitchen. If she's really sick and weak, I'll leave her on the couch in the sitting room. And if I'm home aloneand she doesn't smell, she can come Up on the bed with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

Mine is in the bed, she has mastered the art of lifting the duvet at my shoulder. As a bichon/cavalier cross she isn't too big, and I've been glad of the little hot dog on the cold nights recently .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

In the bed, under the duvet at the very end - great for keeping my feet warm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Always in the bed with us. Usually at the foot of the bed, all 5feet of him sprawled loose so that the duvet won't stretch to cover me and OH. Sometimes, if he's had a bad day (eg we had to leave him longer than normal or a particularly nasty old cat sat at the patio door to tease him) he'll sleep on his back between us under the duvet :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Mine both sleep on the bed and usually one of my cats does as well. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Three dogs are in two crates in the kitchen/dining room. Occasionally and esp when OH is away one of them will come to bed with me and then always sleep under the duvet. Have woken up to Ozzies little head on the pillow beside me. He's the cutest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Our two sleep in the kitchen, they have a big dog bed on one side of the stove and there's the sofa on the other side of the stove which they also sleep on, to be honest I would happily have them sleeping on the bed but 1 of them can't get up the stairs so we don't let the other one up either as it's not fair on the oldie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

All 4 in their crates in the basement. Best place for a us to get a good sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My guy sleeps in the utility room... It sounds a bit awful but he used to sleep in the kitchen, and then he decided himself to move into the utility room. We found him sleeping on the tiles in there while his bed was in the kitchen so after about a week we moved his bed in and he's never been happier!!
    He had slept in the kitchen for about 11 years so we're not really sure why he moved but if he's happy we're happy!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Rega

TG1 wrote: »
    My guy sleeps in the utility room... It sounds a bit awful but he used to sleep in the kitchen, and then he decided himself to move into the utility room. We found him sleeping on the tiles in there while his bed was in the kitchen so after about a week we moved his bed in and he's never been happier!!
    He had slept in the kitchen for about 11 years so we're not really sure why he moved but if he's happy we're happy!!:)

Same as my fella. Has his bed beside the radiator in the utility room. He loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Is supposed to sleep on the couch but once the lights go out, he waddles his fat ass up to my room and usually I wake up with a fat sheepdog ass wedged in my face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Our dogs start the night under the duvet and on top of the duvet.
    The old dog is sometimes incontinent :eek: so we're now a bit wary of letting him on the bed (stripping a bed because of dog wee is NOT condusive to a good nights sleep!!!) He has an incontinence pad that hes FORCED to lie on!
    They troop off to their beds when we're ready to sleep - by choice really - a treat and beds are arranged around the stove (to which a log has been added so they wont be chilly!) Then back down to the beds for a quick kip before we get up in the morning. Its a tough old existance really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How do you guys who let their animals sleep in their bed deal with the dog hair?

My parents have a really nice lab/Weimaraner cross which they let into the house a lot. The hair everywhere is unbelievable. Even just after hoovering the place, the dog runs in and it's covered again.

She was up on the couch beside me over Christmas and my clothes were absolutely destroyed. Even worse, it completely ruined me that night while I was trying to sleep. I've never had allergies to dogs, but the hair in the room really chocked me up.

I would have thought letting a dog share your bed would leave you and the bed covered in hair, no?Or are some dogs just not that moulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mine doesn't shed. But then it's a Shih Tzu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I dont know how people can have animals in the bed with them its pretty disgusting tbf however you want to defend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I dont know how people can have animals in the bed with them its pretty disgusting tbf however you want to defend it

Disgusting imo is a bit strong of a word to use. To put it in context somebody eg drinking their own vomit is disgusting to me..:p My dogs sleeping on a blanket at the end of the bed is no different to them sitting beside us on the couch?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Well I didn't want to start a big discussion on that subject.
    For some people can be disgusting, for other people no.
    For me it isn't, of course I change quite often the bedding and I put a cover on the bed always.
    They don't sleep under the duvet though, too warm for them!
    I am not disgusted at all, sometimes I think to the "health" but it doesn't bother me too much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

In what way is it disgusting?

Mine sleeps I. His bed which is on the floor beside mine in my room. Every so often he is allowed to sleep in my bed with me as a treat if its extra cold but I couldn't have it be an every night thing as having the hairs all over the duvet cover drives me insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Why is it disgusting? Elaborate please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

uh oh...shamrock just kicked a hornet's nest and ran away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

o1s1n wrote: »
    How do you guys who let their animals sleep in their bed deal with the dog hair?

My parents have a really nice lab/Weimaraner cross which they let into the house a lot. The hair everywhere is unbelievable. Even just after hoovering the place, the dog runs in and it's covered again.

She was up on the couch beside me over Christmas and my clothes were absolutely destroyed. Even worse, it completely ruined me that night while I was trying to sleep. I've never had allergies to dogs, but the hair in the room really chocked me up.

I would have thought letting a dog share your bed would leave you and the bed covered in hair, no?Or are some dogs just not that moulty?

You groom them.
    Brushing catches alot of their hair. Especially with a comb like the furminator(be careful, it's easy to over groom with this thing.).

Advertisement