Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does your dog sleep?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

You groom them.
    Brushing catches alot of their hair. Especially with a comb like the furminator(be careful, it's easy to over groom with this thing.).

But some dogs definitely shed way more than others, I have two, one is a constant shedder the other hardly at all, sounds like the OP's parents dog is just a big old shedder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They have their crates but prefer to sleep on the couch. I think they'd DIE if we put them outside to sleep, sure the big sad faces even if they're put out for half an hour! When I'm home alone they sleep on the bed with me and they know - once it's bedtime, if K isn't home, they follow me up the stairs.

They're very impolite though, take over the whole bed and occasionally wake me up during the night by snuffling my face, so only allowed up at weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Weirdly, Sam sometimes chooses different places, could be my bed, the couch, the upstairs landing, his chair in the extension or sometimes he'll whine at the back door, open it, straight into his kennel for the night, I wonder what goes through his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why is it disgusting? Elaborate please.

In fairnes having an animal at the bottom or in some cases beside you in the bed licking his own arse then slobbering on the sheets and duvet, not to mention the hairs on the bed doesnt appeal to me, do you still want me to elaborate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

My golden cocker sleeps in a kennel out the back and has done since we got him as a pup. Hes brought in when we get up and put out when we go to bed. He sleeps on a pillow in the house by day.
    We had his brother too uptill a few years back and he used to drag his bed from the kennel and sleep outside, we used to see him lying on his blanket in the morning, happy out with his ears flopping about in the wind. First sign of rain and he was gone indoors tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

shamrock55 wrote: »
    In fairnes having an animal at the bottom or in some cases beside you in the bed licking his own arse then slobbering on the sheets and duvet, not to mention the hairs on the bed doesnt appeal to me, do you still want me to elaborate

My dogs rarely 'lick their own arse'
    My dogs don't slobber
    My dogs swim nearly every day so don't shed anywhere near as much hair as you would think for their breed (Irish setters) as most of the loose hair washes away.

But please, elaborate, in case there's something that might be 'disgusting' that I've missed;)

Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it 'disgusting' to a lot of dog owners.
    Mine sleep either in the living room or the hall, or on occasion, in the bed. They come in for a cuddle every night and then go to their own beds as part of their routine. If I'm home alone, like others, the dogs come up on the bed. For my company and their comfort, same when I'm away, himself has them up in the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Two big thick coated dogs outside in dry kennels, one each, in a 11x22ft run and one small short haired dog inside on his own bed under in the front room. Outside dogs go out at 10.30pm and let out for a run at 7.30am. If its frosty the first thing they do is go and roll in the frost.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shamrock55, as you seem to be missing the ethos of this forum, and are as a result flaming the animal-loving posters that frequent this forum, please do not post in this thread again.
    To all: please do not feed this messing.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

He has his own kennel built for him, ,he's very long legs,setter cross.has done since he was a puppy.fresh hay in there too.likes to be in most of time now beside the firewhen he has to do his business he will stare at me or go to bk door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Terriers in the bed and the big boy on his own bed in the bedroom.
    My terrier boy always tunnels under the duvet while my girl will either tunnel under or sleep on a pillow. The big boy isn't let on the bed as there wouldn't be room for all of us. If either myself or the OH is away though, he'll sometimes sneak into the empty spot in the bed. He's quite stealthlike about it as well. Recently when the OH was away, he waited a few minutes after I had turned off the light before sneaking into the bed...I didn't have the heart to make him get off it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

One in kitchen, one in utility and two in crate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Poppy sleeps in her crate beside our bed and Oscar sleeps in the bathroom. If my OH is away poppy gets to sleep in bed with me, she gets very excited at the word 'sleepover' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My jack russel terrier sleeps in either one of two beds, or on one of the sofas, depending on her mood. She has six blankets too, and cocoons herself in two or three at a time. She will very occasionally sleep in my bed, if we have people sleeping over on the sofas.

When we got her, she was a rescue dog and was terrifed of being outside alone (wouldn't even go for a wee without us walking to the end of the back garden wih her) and while she's perfectly happy now, we would never put her outside in case we scared her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

4 of mine sleep in an insulated heated shed, its got bunk beds, a panel heater and a super ser. My oldest girl sleeps in the bathroom for reasons best known to herself and the deaf terrier sleeps in a crate in the sitting room or a terrier tunnel in the bathroom because she annoys the heart out of the others and they eventually flatten her.

They used to all sleep in the kitchen but the smell in the morning after all 6 in b there all night was desperate, plus if they were all wet after a walk they honked the place out of it. So now they come back from a mucky walk I hose them down, towel dry the worst wet and put them in the shed with the super ser on so they can snooze and dry out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My Samoyed sleep's in the kitchen. When the fireworks were going off at Halloween she slept in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

At night it's in her crate in the kitchen. During the day it's couch/rug/dog bed in sitting room/crate/lap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

It depends on the season. In the summer my two sleep wherever it's coolest. The lurcher has a longer coat and overheats quickly so he loves the leather sofa when it's warm, and in the winter he's on my bed. The pointer is usually on the bed most of the year. He does this thing where he starts shaking and trying to get under the duvet. It really very Shakespearean!
    During the day they kinda rotate around the house - sofa, bed and their dog beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Callie, the older of the two Shih-Tzus I have, always sleeps on a Biederlack blanket at the bottom of the bed. Holly, the younger, alternates between her bed by the cooling open fire in the bedroom, or alongside me on the bed.

The worse thing about them sleeping in the bedroom is the snoring.... Jeeze it can get loud.

I am always awoke by Callie lying across my neck until I can take no more and have to get up!

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Two of our collies Gypsy and Gunner have 1 big bed in our room beside the bed we had two beds at the start but during the night he used wonder over and cuddle up to gypsy anyway so now we just leave that one out in the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

1 dog at the bottom of the bed, she completely covers herself under the duvet from head to toe! She curls up into a ball. The other two sleep in their beds on the ground either side of our bed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

image.jpg

On my foot ....
    She never wants to leave it ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

jellyboy wrote: »
    image.jpg

On my foot ....
    She never wants to leave it ....

this is so cute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The couch! Or sometimes my Mom's bed.

557297_4109627792828_1891249719_n.jpg
    hehehe

Or even on my brother...
    404041_3934029042969_534679869_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My guy sleeps in the kitchen beside the radiator, never outside, i honestly think he would have a breakdown if he was expected to sleep outdoors for a night :D

The odd time when im alone in the house he comes up and sleeps at the bottom of the bed, he just loves it... he automaticatlly knows when im alone and without a second though heads on up the stairs at 10pm to get ready for bed, even if im still in the sitting room.

When hubby is home he nevers does it - odd ball. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

In the kitchen in her bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Our two have their own beds in our bedroom. I'd like the choice of having them on the bed, although I don't imagine I'd sleep all that well with them on it, but I have a very mean OH who won't allow it! That said, when we go out they are left in our room and I know they definitely, much to OH's disgust get great use of our bed then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

At the bottom of my mam n dads bed at night, if he sleeps through the day then he takes over the sofa. You can't move him, he weighs a tonne. He's a Labrador/Collie that is spoilt by me parents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Gizmo sleeps in our bed, at our feet. He rarely gets inside the covers, prefers the feet, no matter how much rolling and being "kicked" he is when we move. He's like a rubber dog at night, just goes with the flow :)

The cat on the other hand, is gone at the first hint of a leg move, he prefers the peace and quiet of the sofa, near the stove, although he's old so if he feels unusually cold, he'll come and sleep beside us like a human, under the blankets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We have a mini schnauzer/barking machine...we have her sleeping in her own room which initially she didn't want to do, now she trots off there when she is finished patrolling the apartment and wants to sleep. We have the door shut so she doesn't take it upon herself to do night time patrols and bark at the lift/stairs/passers by/anything else she wants to bark at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

The cat on the other hand, is gone at the first hint of a leg move, he prefers the peace and quiet of the sofa, near the stove, although he's old so if he feels unusually cold, he'll come and sleep beside us like a human, under the blankets.

My cat is starting to this too. Normally she won't stay long, a few minutes at best, but lately will stay most of the night, guess she's starting to feel the cold.
    If only she didn't purr though!, always wakes my OH with her purring XD.

Advertisement