Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight parking- Kilkenny City

Options
  • 31-12-2013 10:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for safe overnight parking spots in Kilkenny City?

Not really interested in campsites.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Anyone?!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

MammaZita wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for safe overnight parking spots in Kilkenny City?

Not really interested in campsites.

Thanks.

I've been told unofficially by a person in the tourist office that you can park HERE, just pay the Pay & Display, €2 per day free by night. I don't know how safe/unsafe it is and the barriers shown are supposed to be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Keano96

I have seen MH's park in the car park beside St.Cancies cathedral on occasion never heard of any trouble. You could go out as far as Kells about 12km out side of Kilkenny nice parking spots beside river and mill.

Thank you for your responses.

I am vaguely familiar with both of these areas so will post back when we eventually get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

MamaZita
    As a mater of interest,why would you not stay on a camps that is 20 mins walk from KK castle or 5 mins in a taxi. The 20/25 euro fee for the site far outweighs the cost to repair a damaged van or marbe worse. KK is a safe city But there's always one.
    I could understand if there was no option but there is.

• Advertisement

MamaZita
    As a mater of interest,why would you not stay on a camps that is 20 mins walk from KK castle or 5 mins in a taxi. The 20/25 euro fee for the site far outweighs the cost to repair a damaged van or marbe worse. KK is a safe city But there's always one.

Thanks for your response Odyssey.

The main reason I prefer not to use campsites is that we have a relatively new, state of the art motorhome with all mod cons, so I don't see the point in paying a campsite €30-€40 a night for what basically amounts to parking, when away for just a night or 2. I'd rather put the money towards a meal in a local restaurant etc. Just our personal preference.

We regularly stay in campsites too, depending on the area and the local sites. But for larger towns or cities we prefer to just park up overnight and be in the centre of things. Never had any trouble. We have 3 young children so would never put them at risk.

I haven't been in Kilkenny in many years, used to know it fairly well, but I would have thought it was a safe enough city to park a motorhome?

KK is a safe place. I live here, but for the sake of a night or twos fees on a site I personally wouldn't risk it,that's just me. We shal agree to disagree on that one.
    You could park up somewhere around the Garda station in one of the parking bays,that would prob be safer than most places or around St Canices church(think this was already suggested).

KK is a safe place. I live here, but for the sake of a night or twos fees on a site I personally wouldn't risk it,that's just me. We shal agree to disagree on that one.
    You could park up somewhere around the Garda station in one of the parking bays,that would prob be safer than most places or around St Canices church(think this was already suggested).

Thank you fir your suggestions.

We go away most weekends in our motorhome and purchased the type that we did so that we were not restricted to campsites which as well as having poor services, are often in our of the way locations, which do not suit us. It's not necessarily even the site fees, but the freedom of parking somewhere convenient.

Not disagreeing with you, just explaining our preferences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

MamaZita

It all adds up Price of campsite plus 2 taxis, usually sites are not within walking distance, We rarely stay on sites and never had a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

Most MHs park in the Dunnes car park with no issues, smaller PVC also park behind the library directly across the river from Dunnes. I've seen a good few parked up below Canices also. I suppose the only factor that would sway me towards a camp site this time of year would be access to mains power for extra heaters etc for kids. Other than that KK is as safe as anywhere

• Advertisement

Most of the hassle you get wild camping is from kids. Not a serious threat.
    I've had more than my fair share and still with a bittov sense you can pick a spot you won't be bothered.
    Kilkenny is a friendly city. I'd be highly surprised if anything untoward occurred in the city centre.

I still have the football I took from the last bunch of kids tried giving me grief. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Im all for wild camping but as regards parking a motorhome in a town or city I just would not take the chance or the worry that something may happen.
    Motorhomes attract attention. You just need the wrong type of attention once to spoil everything

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

The main reason I prefer not to use campsites is that we have a relatively new, state of the art motorhome with all mod cons, so I don't see the point in paying a campsite €30-€40 a night for what basically amounts to parking

Perhaps you should consider the damage that might be caused wild camping, it only takes one person to do a lot of damage costing more than the 30 to 40 euro stated for a night in a caravan park. A stone can do a lot of damage to a window and the cost of replacing it in the region of 180 euro. Times are changing, many years ago it was very safe to wild camp but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

sunchaser wrote: »
    Times are changing, many years ago it was very safe to wild camp but not now.

Ah hold on,a bit of a sweeping statement their,the campsite owners are going to love you,
    i wildcamp went i can and this is not my experience the worst thing that happened to me over the years was i boy racer type gave the door a rap just as i was about to open it dont know who was more surprised him or me ;),on the other hand i was on a site where a group had a full on party till 4am we got no peace at all that night,

Ah hold on,a bit of a sweeping statement their,the campsite owners are going to love you,
    i wildcamp went i can and this is not my experience the worst thing that happened to me over the years was i boy racer type gave the door a rap just as i was about to open it dont know who was more surprised him or me ;),on the other hand i was on a site where a group had a full on party till 4am we got no peace at all that night,
    I have wildcamped umpteen times without a bother but I would not consider it in the middle of a City

In 4 years wild camping mostly in cities, I've had to replace one wing mirror €20, two hub caps €30 and fix a puncture. That's less than 3 days at a campsite.

In 4 years wild camping mostly in cities, I've had to replace one wing mirror €20, two hub caps €30 and fix a puncture. That's less than 3 days at a campsite.
    You cannot draw comparisons like that. It is not all about the cost. So I assume you had a wing mirror broken off and hub caps stolen and a tyre damaged while camping in a city or cities.
    In ten years camping wild in the countryside and coast and in city camp sites I have never had a problem and had peace of mind knowing that there was a high probability when I returned to the motor home that everything would be ok plus the added security of CCTV cameras.
    I would not take chances in a city, especially if children were on board.
    I guess that is just me

I'm not really trying to drawn a comparison tbh.
    I certainly would be more reluctant with children on-board but that may only extend to my choice of camping location and not a high tech intruder defense system. For example Kilkenny; kids, no cctv, no problem. Bull island, Dublin; not a chance...I guess a little local knowledge helps too.

I simply don't see the sense in being afraid of a lifestyle choice. As I demonstrated it's not without incident but few things are.
    The fear of danger or the unknown can be quite prohibitive, I find it best to use common sense in these matters and deal with situations as they arise as best I can. In my limited experience these are just fears.

I'm not really trying to drawn a comparison tbh.
    I certainly would be more reluctant with children on-board but that may only extend to my choice of camping location and not a high tech intruder defense system. For example Kilkenny; kids, no cctv, no problem. Bull island, Dublin; not a chance...I guess a little local knowledge helps too.

I simply don't see the sense in being afraid of a lifestyle choice. As I demonstrated it's not without incident but few things are.
    The fear of danger or the unknown can be quite prohibitive, I find it best to use common sense in these matters and deal with situations as they arise as best I can. In my limited experience these are just fears.
    When I go on holidays I like to have a good safety cushion whether camping or going on flights etc. I just feel that any glitches on a holiday can ruin them.

I would not dream of wildcamping in any of the towns local to me because I know there are persons living in those towns who would not think twice of causing trouble.

The concentration of people in a town increases your chances of meeting a troublemaker.
    But then again when I go away in the motorhome it is to get away from the maddening crowd.

I agree. I bare no love for cities and to be honest I can't understand the mentality of a culture who has no desire to dismantle anything bigger than their front door. Unfortunately that's where I work at the moment so that's where I am found sometimes. You can't scare me into a letterbox flat though. :pac:

{EDIT: I know this was about campsites but I certainly won't be paying more for less resources}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 siobhanrua

hi all just found out today that the local council have baned campers from the docks in galway nearest campsite is salthill has anyone any ideas for parking in the city. what is wrong with these councils that they can't see the value to the economy from campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

siobhanrua wrote: »
    hi all just found out today that the local council have baned campers from the docks in galway nearest campsite is salthill has anyone any ideas for parking in the city. what is wrong with these councils that they can't see the value to the economy from campers.

Hmmm I might check that. AFAIK, the land where campers & MH park in Galway belongs to Galway Harbour Company and is not in Galway City Council's jurisdiction - would be a pity if true as being from Galway myself, I've sent plenty of people to those spots by the docks.

Also, campsite in Salthill closes for winter so then what.

siobhanrua wrote: »

I just spoke to ppl on Sunday last that spent Friday and Sat on the dock in Galway. €4 per night and no problems,they loved it.

Advertisement