Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal factory still producing?

Options
  • 31-12-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Have a friend in the US looking to buy some pieces, but doesn't want any produces outside of Ireland (Slovenia, Poland, Germany & China are production centres).

I know there's the gift shop down there and I think there's a factory tour still going, but is anything produced here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Not as far as I know its tiny in there. They may do some commission pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

There are some pieces made there but I don't know if they are sold on etc. You could look at letting him know that some of the craftspeople who worked there are still producing crystal in town -

It is made in Waterford City etc

http://www.heritagecrystal.com/about-heritage-crystal.html

Irish Handmade Glass Company -
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Irish-Handmade-Glass-Company/184451204945136
    http://theirishhandmadeglasscompany.com/wordpress/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uztfeb8_pYM

Your friend may not be interested in the above, but it is made in the city and is not a mass produced product like the others in Poland etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

While previously Waterford Crystal used to be manufactured exclusively in Waterford, in early 2009 some of the operations were moved over to Europe. When the House of Waterford Crystal opened its doors in the middle of 2010, they manufactured the higher end of the crystal e.g. bowels, trophies, vases, etc. The centre is the biggest Waterford Crystal store in the world. Tours will show how the crystal is manufactured.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Waterford Crystal still produces a certain amount up in the northern extentsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Thinking about it, someone should file for protection of the waterford crystal name (the same way it was done with the Blaa/Champagne etc). It's more than just a brand.

Thanks for the links above. I'm after spotting an Xmas decoration on one that I'm going to order for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

OU812 wrote: »
    Thinking about it, someone should file for protection of the waterford crystal name (the same way it was done with the Blaa/Champagne etc). It's more than just a brand.

Fairly sure that's in progress by the unions.

OU812 wrote: »

Thanks for the links above. I'm after spotting an Xmas decoration on one that I'm going to order for myself.

No prob :)

With regards the protection of the name. There is a lengthy legal case currently going on. From what I believe there is a situation where the firm who now have control of Waterford Crystal brand are trying to stop anybody from using the Waterford name. So if you wanted to start making for instance, Waterford Jewelry they want to hold hold claim to the name specifically for crafts and gems etc... the only reason they are not going all out to trademark the whole Waterford name is because they would have to go up against Glanbia who still hold the Waterford Foods brand, that is just my understanding of it, I am open to correction and if anybody has more info I would appreciate it as it is an interesting situation.

Nypd wrote: »
    Waterford Crystal still produces a certain amount up in the northern extentsion.

Which unit are they in in the northern extension?:)

dzilla wrote: »

With regards the protection of the name. There is a lengthy legal case currently going on. From what I believe there is a situation where the firm who now have control of Waterford Crystal brand are trying to stop anybody from using the Waterford name. So if you wanted to start making for instance, Waterford Jewelry they want to hold hold claim to the name specifically for crafts and gems etc... the only reason they are not going all out to trademark the whole Waterford name is because they would have to go up against Glanbia who still hold the Waterford Foods brand, that is just my understanding of it, I am open to correction and if anybody has more info I would appreciate it as it is an interesting situation.

Interestingly, I received a gift of "Waterford Silver" ornaments this year. Made in China - The other famous waterford. They seem to have introduced them about three years ago. They're very beautiful & very high quality but have very VERY small "made in China" markings.

Newbridge Silver decorations are made there too I believe.

To be honest, If it was "Joe's Crystal" I'd have no problem with it being made anywhere in the world, but using the place name is passing off as far as I'm concerned. Anywhere with a product tied to the place name should at least be finished in that location to be worthy of the name.

The name should be recovered & shared among the previous employees, so that (for example) Heritage Crystal would become Heritage Waterford Crystal (or Waterford Heritage Crystal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The "Waterford Crystal" name is a protected trademark in the area of glass and crystal products, similar to McDonalds & fast food.

There's no problem with you having McDonalds Crystal or McDonalds cycles etc, but not any name connected to fast food. Similarly you can have Waterford Bog Oak or Waterford Pottery or Waterford foods etc.

• Advertisement

Yes, but the name "Waterford" is inherently tied to the place, therefore to produce it elsewhere & then sell it under that name should be illegal the same way it is with Champagne. If it's branded Waterford, then it should be produced (or at least finished - not just packaged) there.

sandin wrote: »
    The "Waterford Crystal" name is a protected trademark in the area of glass and crystal products, similar to McDonalds & fast food.

There's no problem with you having McDonalds Crystal or McDonalds cycles etc, but not any name connected to fast food. Similarly you can have Waterford Bog Oak or Waterford Pottery or Waterford foods etc.

Which is what I said, they are trying to lay siege to the name in the crafts realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Which unit are they in in the northern extension?:)

It's in the complex with Cresthaven, from my understanding a certain amount has to be produced in Waterford to retain the name.
    Up to 40,000 pieces are produced in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Is Kilmeadan Cheddar not a similar situation? Brand still in use but its not made there (or anywhere in Waterford, I think?) Interesting that Glanbia came up in this thread........

I'm thinking there's room for a heritage law here to be instated by the government.

They could issue some sort of seal of authenticity. Not just "Made in Ireland". Something that recognises that the product is physically manufactured (not packaged) in the location it claims to be in.

Publicise it internationally and let the companies that continue to produce outside of the country carry on with the name but not have use of the seal.

Would do wonders for employment & maybe bring in an international standard.

If you think of the crafts that we could produce for international (mostly US) export, jewlery, crystal, clothing & pottery. Rich with our heritage & culture, it would also benefit the tourist industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnotherUserID

Yes they still do make some stuff IN Waterford. A couple of vases, statues and glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

There used to be a sign in the window of the gift shop behind Waterford Crystal (near Bolton St car park) that all Waterford crystal sold there was made in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnotherUserID

sillysocks wrote: »
    There used to be a sign in the window of the gift shop behind Waterford Crystal (near Bolton St car park) that all Waterford crystal sold there was made in Waterford.

That's not true "the sign, not your statement", they got called out on it a while back and had to remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Off topic-ish, but I only just found out the ball that drops during the NYE countdown every year in Times Square, NYC is actually Waterford Crystal.

http://www.timessquarenyc.org/events/new-years-eve/about-the-new-years-eve-ball/index.aspx#.UtGYO3nWCfY

^ and has been for years

They produce a range of Xmas Tree ornaments which appreciate in value really quickly. Some of the first edition ones (1999) are now going for upwards of $800 on ebay.

5165kGbfTYL._SY300_.jpg51MlfD%2B%2BTVL.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement