Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 31-12-2013 12:49pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I brought a samsung tv off amazon in the uk in july, it broke down the week before xmas, I rang samsung and they gave me the address of the nearest repair centre (which was no longer open :rollseyes: ) there gonna repair free of charge but I was wondering would I be within my rights to ask amazon for a replacment tv? Seeing as ive only had it 6/7months?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In essence; no. Repair, replace or refund and they started with repair which is pretty standard. You should get on to Amazon about it as they are your counterpart and not Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You also need to be practical. If you bought it from the UK and had it delivered to Ireland, chances are that your contract is subject to UK law (which is similar to Irish law, but possibly not exactly the same). If you need to go down the enforcement route, you would probably have to use the UK legal system, and the effort involved in international litigation is disproportionate to the value of your television.

I agree with Nody that you should ask Amazon to deal with the problem.

[I suspect that somebody in the Samsung call centre had an out-of-date list for repair centres in Ireland.]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I probably should have rang amazon day one when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Why not still contact Amazon? After all they sold you the TV. They should be your first port of call.

I think that there is a risk in buying big ticket items from Amazon. In my opinion there are enough options from shops such as Currys, DID, Power City, Harvey Norman, Richer Sounds etc to get good bargains. I would possible buy a laptop online but anything bigger it would be a bricks and mortar store for me even if I had to compromise a little on the specifications to keep within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with Amazon straight away. They are generally excellent in dealing with this kind of issue, plus that is where your contract of sale also lies.

You will find numerous examples in this forum of excellent service from Amazon when it comes to electrical goods.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got in touch with amazon (like I should have in the first place) and they were more than helpful,said they would indeed replace it as long as it was still broken when sent back to them But my tv is already with the repair centre,so I'm just gonna let them fix it and hope it doesn't break down again.Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... they would indeed replace it as long as it was still broken when sent back to them ....
    Now, there's a stringent condition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You also need to be practical. If you bought it from the UK and had it delivered to Ireland, chances are that your contract is subject to UK law (which is similar to Irish law, but possibly not exactly the same). If you need to go down the enforcement route, you would probably have to use the UK legal system, and the effort involved in international litigation is disproportionate to the value of your television.

I agree with Nody that you should ask Amazon to deal with the problem.

[I suspect that somebody in the Samsung call centre had an out-of-date list for repair centres in Ireland.]

The contract is most likely concluded in Ireland under Irish law but failing that the small claims procedure is, thankfully, EU wide (or at least most of it.) Enforcement only becomes a problem if Amazon refuse to help and to be fair they are usually great to deal with.

Enforcement in England and Wales wouldn't be particually problematic - just a case of sending the SmCC paperwork to the local sheriff's office.

I hope you don't mind my correction to your usually excellent advice, and I welcome any corrections to the above, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I got in touch with amazon (like I should have in the first place) and they were more than helpful,said they would indeed replace it as long as it was still broken when sent back to them But my tv is already with the repair centre,so I'm just gonna let them fix it and hope it doesn't break down again.Thanks for all the help.

Deal with them directly in future, they really are excellent when it comes to service. Keep records of this repair, and any coraspndance you had with Amazon, especially if they asked you to contact Samsung, which they usually do.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Deal with them directly in future, they really are excellent when it comes to service. Keep records of this repair, and any coraspndance you had with Amazon, especially if they asked you to contact Samsung, which they usually do.

I will indeed,I thought they would tell me just go through samsung,thats why I went directly to samsung,I'll know better in future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I will indeed,I thought they would tell me just go through samsung,thats why I went directly to samsung,I'll know better in future.
    The only exception to go to the seller would be Apple products; not only because it will be far faster (and smoother as it's Apple policy to deal with their customers directly) but you'll get a quick resolution of a new device sent to you usually.

Advertisement