Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you regret buying your xbox one?

Options
  • 31-12-2013 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

The dust has mostly settled on the next gen and over a month in....how do you feel now about your purchase?

Does the one live up to your expectations?....is it missing anything?....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Disappointed with the lack of playback from a network drive or a usb stick. I know it's early days but the 360 can do it, I would expect the one to do everything the 360 can and more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

markad1 wrote: »
    Disappointed with the lack of playback from a network drive or a usb stick. I know it's early days but the 360 can do it, I would expect the one to do everything the 360 can and more :(

Agreed...and for balance and not to encite fanboyism....the PS4 is also lacking in this area. Which is funny because MS promoted and "sold" us on the idea that the X1 was the only box you'll ever need and the ultimate entertainment system..........:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I was in need of a media centre/ media centre focused console, I also had very little space and only one hdmi slot on my monitor.

I have taken the one and have hdmi pass through setup on the 360. I have picked up some of the best games from the last series while also some cool games on the one ac4:bf and Legoatvel heroes.

I am getting my monies worth from it but I went into the purchase with such a setup in mind. My only complaint so far is xbox one video is streaming not download.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Sold COD
    Be selling Fifa shortly
    Bored with Forza

Playing through Need for Speed at the minute, after that I might pick up Battlefield but not overly pushed. Have been playing my 360 much more than the One lately, desperately need some more games for it.

Although Tomb Raider in Jan, Thief in Feb, Titanfall in March and D4 sometime in Q1 will definitely have me clocking up plenty of hours again.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

I must also add I hooked up the sky box to the one and the picture was "choppy" i ended up taking the sky box out of the one and putting it back into the tv directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Sold mine already, got back what I paid for it, no more, I just didn't have the time for it but I think it will be a year before people start to see the power of the new consoles. There is very few games out to justify it right now. I got myself a 3DS XL with Zelda, Mario 3D Land for free and Resident Evil Revelations.
    Having a hand-held console to play here and there at home when I get a chance or when I am chilling on the couch with the missus pretending I am watching the soaps is suiting my situation at the moment and I have to say, I have been really impressed with The 3DS XL, I am really enjoying the games I got for it and for the first time in awhile, I am actually playing some single player games instead of online Multiplayer on the XBOX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

markad1 wrote: »
    I must also add I hooked up the sky box to the one and the picture was "choppy" i ended up taking the sky box out of the one and putting it back into the tv directly.

there is a framerate issue http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbox-50hz-201311233468.htm

utterly baffling MS didnt see this issue coming......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I was really disappointed with how half finished the whole dashboard setup is, I really expected it to be an faster evolution of the 360 setup considering all the resources they ringfenced for it but its a complete mess :(

Do I regret buying one?
    No not really, Forza and BF4 are great games and I would have bought one eventually but I am still bitter about having to be online for achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It's very early days but I am happy with it, there is loads of potential with it! The tv connection with Sky is perfect on mine and integrates so clearly! Once more people upgrade and the arcade fills up it will pick up even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No, not happy with my purchase and regret getting one since playing the PS4. I played Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 to death at this stage. To me the PS4 is the better gaming console which is what I want, a gaming console, not a half finished media box. Kinect 2 is a waste of €100 and is still a gimmick. Will be selling the X1 in the new year and get a WiiU bundle while sticking with the PS4 as my primary next gen platform, I may pick One up again later on if any decent exclusives come out for it in the next 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fifa looks good and plays well on the XB1 over the 360.
    I'm mainly a PC game so the graphics for Forza,COD/BF4 all only look average to me compared to my PC, only reason I got COD/BF4 was to be able to have a quick game while still being able to keep an eye on the young fella.
    The whole TV pass through is pointless for me as the missus hasn't a clue about Xbox etc and no point in showing her.

Very disappointed there's no DNLA streaming with the XB1...its not a media center unless its capable of that and it fails miserably in that regard.
    In fact my Apple TV does all for that for me already with Netflix etc and others.
    So the only real reason to keep it is for gaming and it lags behind the PS4 in this regards just taking specs into consideration.
    The only real reason I went for the xbox was for the controller...in fact if I come across a controller identical to it for the PS4 I'd jump ship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

its only out a few weeks lol, ask me in a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

So far, no. I do not regret it at all - FIFA is pretty good (graphics are great, and the AI better than any version of FIFA I've played to date), other games are fun and look better than 360 counterparts. Voice controls are amazing for controlling the UI quickly - even when whispered.

Are there things that could be done better? Yep.

Will they improve over time? Yep.

Ask anyone who got a first gen iPhone on day one what they thought after a few weeks. There was no App Store, or apps at all because everything was going to be HTML5 and Web based but the potential was there and I think that's what a lot of people see in the Xbox One.

Are you better off waiting for a couple of months until there's a wider selection of games? Maybe. March will bring Titanfall and the ID@Xbox games. Hopefully then MS will have something in their arsenal to wow 'hardcore' gamers and casuals alike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Haven't got either console yet, I plan to get a PS4 in January some time when they stock up again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm still waiting for better games like Watchdogs and more apps before I make my judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Haven't played it in 3 weeks.

It's meh.

Will do when the better games come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Bought it on release
    sold it on the 30th of december in cex
    so I basicly got my money back

Loved the console, loved ryse , definitly my favourite game out of all that were released for the console, love a good rome game :P
    but to me it felt the console was missing a few things (which it was) I guess it was just my fault for buying the thing too early
    so I said I'l sell it , get my money back and buy it in a year when theirs more games for it and hopefully all the little bugs,glitchs and software up dates are brought in ha

great console, but at the moment I got bored with it very quick, not enough games that I am interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

i am really pissed the sky go app was not on it as i use it alot and looks like sky have no interest in making an app for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

wush06 wrote: »
    i am really pissed the sky go app was not on it as i use it alot and looks like sky have no interest in making an app for it.

I think they said the summer of 2014 it will be available? Open to correction though!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

I think they said the summer of 2014 it will be available? Open to correction though!

Hello everyone,

You will have noticed that we currently do not support the Xbox One with Sky Go

We are still looking to extend the distribution of Sky Go, but our main focus is on supporting tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices, as the majority of our 3m+ Sky Go customers can already access Sky content on their TV through their Sky+ HD box.

In addition, developing an app for Xbox One requires a completely new and separate development to the apps we have in market, including the Xbox 360 app. We will continue to review the benefit of creating an App for Xbox One as we do for other new platforms for Sky Go

Thanks
    Sam
    Community Manager

Hopefully but not looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

wush06 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

You will have noticed that we currently do not support the Xbox One with Sky Go

We are still looking to extend the distribution of Sky Go, but our main focus is on supporting tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices, as the majority of our 3m+ Sky Go customers can already access Sky content on their TV through their Sky+ HD box.

In addition, developing an app for Xbox One requires a completely new and separate development to the apps we have in market, including the Xbox 360 app. We will continue to review the benefit of creating an App for Xbox One as we do for other new platforms for Sky Go

Thanks
    Sam
    Community Manager

Hopefully but not looking good.

Thanks hadnt seen that! Yea thats not giving much hope is it! Im still on 360 and happy enough on it, not sure which console to buy this year, will see what happens over next few months i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

With the passthrough really what is the point in them making an app other than for catch up and on demand services that you can access anyway through the sky box, also really what is the point in having the one on to watch tv? Personally I don't care who is online playing what when I'm watching a movie or TV and even if i did want to check id use smartglass.

Edit: Actually that would be useful in terms of not needing a sky box in another room wouldn't it :)

If I want to watch TV while the xbox is on, my TV has a perfectly good PIP function that I can flick on and off at the press of a button rather than having to snap it and I have far more options as to where the PIP box goes and what audio source is in use etc.

Still though it does not let MS off the hook for the the bull crap spin they dished out pre launch about One being the centre of your media experience ..... me hole !!!! unless they build in a sat/dtv tuner and supported streaming properly and mixed media discs and usb drives then they were lying out their asses might come in the future but for now my smart tv does everything the xbox one should do and more ffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

calex71 wrote: »

Edit: Actually that would be useful in terms of not needing a sky box in another room wouldn't it :)

i think that was originally the main purpose for it, that's how we currently use it anyway*

*replace "room" with "country" ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's ok.

The UI is absolutely horrible. You can't message random players, the achievements system is terrible and it's all quite counterintuitive.

Basically, the things that took you seconds on 360 take an eternity on One.

All that aside, the system needs to be judged by its games...
    BF4 - haven't played in weeks. That's EA's fault though.
    COD: Ghosts -barely different from 360 version. Traded in ages ago.
    Killer Instinct: - Superb game.
    Dead Rising 3: Fantastic, am enjoying it far more than I thought.
    Peggle 2: They released half a game. They should be shot.

Apart from AC4, there is nothing that I want to play next.

So once I am done with the current games I'm playing, I could sell it as the Day Ones are in demand. I'd just buy a new console with a bundle later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Ive generally been enjoying my x1.

but there are a few things that need sorting out like what was already mentioned the Ui needs to be overhauled and streamlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭irishchris

Ui needs improvements and speeding up but would I get rid of it - not a chance. Massive improvement on the 360 and really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No regrets only selling Ryse to quick after finishing it, Roll on March the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

enjoying mine, like others have said some of the UI needs fixing/streamlining. Loved BF4 in conquest, when it works its great. Enjoying spartan ops at the moment. looking forward to titanfall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

maximoose wrote: »
    Sold COD
    Be selling Fifa shortly
    Bored with Forza

Playing through Need for Speed at the minute, after that I might pick up Battlefield but not overly pushed. Have been playing my 360 much more than the One lately, desperately need some more games for it.

Although Tomb Raider in Jan, Thief in Feb, Titanfall in March and D4 sometime in Q1 will definitely have me clocking up plenty of hours again.

I'd strongly advise you don't buy Battlefield 4 on Xbox One. Over a month and a half after release the game is still half broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You can't message random players

Do you mean you have to be friends to message them? No more messages telling me what my mother got up to or telling me what my sexuality is?!:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement