Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you regret buying your xbox one?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

in my opinion the xbox one is more of an entertainment system than a console. I also think that it has many feature a regular gamer wouldnt use (e,g the tv channels, connect) I also think the price is very steep compared to the ps4. But thats just me

I don't get this attitude and would like an explanation?

In both the PS4 and XBONE you load a game and it plays it? How does that make one more of a gaming console than another?

The other stuff that both consoles have is just that, extra software.

It's like saying that your phone is less of a phone when they improve the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get this attitude and would like an explanation?

I think everyone has had enough of the PS4/XBO comparisons, I certainly have anyway. I'd appreciate if such discussion could be kept to the thread about it in Games, & this one for folks who bought the Xbox One :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Have purchased a few films and the season pass to the new season of the big bang theory.

I love that i can purchase or rent new content, i would love it even more if the price was a little bit better :).

Right now im playing halo wars - halo 4 using the hdmi pass through. Some may say why bother but if you saw the size of my gaming space the current setup works so well for me.

I am in this console for the long run, i dont expect MS to be perfect and i expect that if it continues on the path its going it will be an excellent system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

My thoughts:

Look:
    It looks like a box. Mind you, a pretty box. I wish the XBox logo on the front actually did things though. Maybe it could blink for notifications etc.

Controller:
    Going back to a 360 really hits any improvements home, the battery pack being flattened for one. It's just a great controller. The batteries last a very very long time too which is great.

Hate it. Everything is too hard to find, poorly explained and overall very fragmented. Hopefully they look back at the 360 and take some hints from their previous work.

Kinect:
    By switching to the UK I got voice commands working and it does recognise my voice to a point. Its bad when you're flatmate points out you shout at the box about 8 times in a row to turn it on. I think thats a localisation issue though. I still haven't been able to get my hands working in terms of gestures. Due to the complexity of the OS Kinect becomes a required part of the package to navigate for me but that isn't a complement for kinect, thats a mark against the OS.

Games:
    Battlefield 4 - Fantastic game when it works, unfortunately that was a rarity. The cheek of advertising premium subscriptions when you couldn't get into a lobby. I've experienced poor servers, laggy games, deleted saved games and more. Traded it in.

Assasins Creed 4 - Black Flag - An amazing game. Visually lush and rich. The first game where I felt there was a living world inside the disc.

COD Ghosts - The increase in computing power has actually hurt this game I think. They've flooded the game with objects and textures to the point where it is just too hard to see enemies without a target finder. Still a good game but one of the worst in the series. Not that much of a visual upgrade for me either.

Forza 5 - Stunning. Passion bleeds out of the game's code. Very happy I got this for free.

Just Dance 2014 - A great laugh but kinect lets it down. It doesn't recognise moves half the time. Its bad when a 100 euro accessory is outshone by a wiimote.

Peggle 2 - It's peggle. And they made it better. I cannot complain.

Overall? I'm playing some of the best games I've played in about 2-3 years on a console so I can't complain. We're only 2 months into the next gen and I don't think we can regret buying the console yet. With the plethora of games coming out over the next 5+ years I think it'd be unfair to judge a console with such promise at this early stage.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    My thoughts:

Just Dance 2014 - A great laugh but kinect lets it down. It doesn't recognise moves half the time. Its bad when a 100 euro accessory is outshone by a wiimote.

I didnt think people bought these games, for a 100 euro accessory it does look nice.

Big problem i find with the kinect is that there is currently no mount for it, mine has a habit of jumping off the monitor if i look at it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Calhoun wrote: »
    I didnt think people bought these games, for a 100 euro accessory it does look nice.

Big problem i find with the kinect is that there is currently no mount for it, mine has a habit of jumping off the monitor if i look at it wrong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORB-Kinect-Camera-Clip-Mount/dp/B00GH7UCJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389021931&sr=8-1&keywords=kinect+stand

Really would have preferred if the kinect was optional, but hopefully with the next few updates and stuff it might actually be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

The console was not worth 500 euro or anywhere near it for that matter and I don't think anyone can argue against that.

The difference between the 360 experience and that of the ONE is not too much different.

I don't believe I could classify the Xbox One as next-generation.

Hard to believe it took them this long to make such a poor machine.

That's coming from a MS fanboy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The console was not worth 500 euro or anywhere near it for that matter and I don't think anyone can argue against that.

The difference between the 360 experience and that of the ONE is not too much different.

If you don't see much difference, you might want to bring your's back, maybe someone sold you a 360 in a xbox one case :D

You could argue that for all next gen consoles, my 2 year old gaming pc is much more advanced technologically than my xbox 360, one or my ps3.

Problem is games are not made for my PC first they are made for consoles due to the mass market.

I agree the price maybe a bit steep i think that was MS being too egotistical due to the success of the 360. However i do think given time the console will surpass the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

It is not as if it is cheap to manufacture, $471 a console I believe.

• Advertisement

Ronan wrote: »
    It is not as if it is cheap to manufacture, $471 a console I believe.

That's not the consumers problem.

They could very well have made the console better and taken a loss per machine.

The profit they make comes primarily from XBL memberships, games, and accessories.

Instead they knew no matter how **** they made the console it'd still sell as it is a brand name.

mcgovern wrote: »
    If you don't see much difference, you might want to bring your's back, maybe someone sold you a 360 in a xbox one case :D

Hur hur hur :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Blame the game not the console.

Huh? Is that not what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

That's not the consumers problem.

They could very well have made the console better and taken a loss per machine.

The profit they make comes primarily from XBL memberships, games, and accessories.

Instead they knew no matter how **** they made the console it'd still sell as it is a brand name.

They're probably already are taking a loss on the machine, taking into account the logistics and retailers cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

No regrets. Love it and will only improve, just like the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I love my Xbox One and love it even more after I got a good hands on for a few hours with another next gen console that shall remain nameless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Bandit6irl

love it, forza 5 is the best racing game ive ever played!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Great console... its like the 360 pumped up with synthol......

MASSIVE

I'm really happy with it.

I've Put hours into NBA, Fifa and Forza.

Controller is great as well. Ive played a good bit on my nephews PS4 and I honestly think the Xbox controller is better especially the sticks. (Just an opinion, not trying to start arguments)

The last few off topic posts have been moved to the General Discussion thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Yep I'm regreting it.... I thought after the red ring of death with the 360 and Xbox standing by there product that I would have no problems if anything should go wrong..... How wrong was I .... After spending 500 euro on a brand new console I received a faulty power supply.... It powers up but it is shoddy build quality.... The power lead falls out its that loose and makes electrical arcing noises..... I thought no problem I'll get onto Xbox and get it sorted... This is when I found that its company policy the customer should pay to have the faulty part returned. What a slap in the face that was !!!!! Thankfully dabs customer service is far superior to Xbox and they have arranged a courier to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Do I regret buying it? No. I knew going in that it was going to be slim pickings in terms of game releases, but I figured I'd be able to sink plenty of time into BF4. How wrong was I! - admittedly this is not a problem with the one itself. On the upside, I managed to complete 6 games out of my back catalog over christmas, so, silver lining and all that.

Annoyances: It was frustrating to see (on both consoles) the amount of features that were relegated to "delayed" and "coming soon". the fact that there's still no date on headset adapters, dolby surround support etc, 2 months after launch is annoying too.

I am disappointed by the way certain parts of the UI is implemented. The gammy party system settings, the friends/followers thing makes no sense - they all just duplicate from one to the other. If someone is a friend, they should be in your friends list, if they're a follower they should be in the followers list, as it stands they're all duplicated so it can be hard to see who's new. The lack of notifications when friends have come online is a glaring omission as well.

Otherwise I like it just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Got the PS4 for christmas, was looking at the Xbox games and got me thinking probably should have gone your route, all the games I have for PS4 I had on PS3, would loved Ryse and Forza. Im going to do the right thing and as usual blame Unchartered the bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I love my Xbone and don’t regret it for a minute. I did have some second guesses before I got it when I was hearing about the PS4 being more powerful but the Xbone is so much more then the graphics.

Things I love
    1. The seamless switching between games, Blu-Ray and TV is great. I have my sky passing thro the xbone and it connected to my surround amp. Just saying “xbox watch tv” “Xbox go to Blu ray player” is awesome.
    2. The way it recognises me when I walk into the room and signs me in….cool
    3. Saying “Xbox On” in the morning and it switches on my tv, surround amp, and itself without having to look for three remote controls. Same goes going to bed it turns off all my stuff. Even the missus is even impressed with dat.
    4. Having the games running in the background so you can switch back to Forza to have a quick lap when the misuses out of the room and being able to say it when watching TV.
    5. Being able to pause blu-rays and play again by voice is great, great for getting a beer. I know this sounds simple but how many times have you looked for the dvd remote to pause only to find someone is sitting on it or its gone down the back of the sofa. “Xbox Pause” sorts all this.

Things that need improving or concerns

1. When watching Blu-rays the xbox for some reason does the decoding the surround sound. So when watching my Aliens blu-rays over Christmas instead of my amp showing “DTS HD Master Audio” it show multi channel in so I don’t know I am getting the best sound. Now it sounds great don’t get me wrong and its says that its outputting in uncompressed format. The xbox 360 out putted in Dolby Digital so why doesn’t this.
    2. The graphics look great and are super smooth but there is a worry that it cant out put games in 1080p.
    3. The voice controls only operate when you change your location to the UK why not Ireland.

Otherwise it’s a great machine, the other machine would not be able to half of the stuff the xbone can. I know it might be more powerful in the graphics front but it more than that.

I think MS F*** up when launching it, they forgot that the people that were going to buy this were people who played games and the other stuff should have been bonus features to set it apart from the comp. But instead they tried to market the other features over the games.

I also think the idea of having the Xbox perm connected to the internet was potentially a good idea and as there would have been no need to insert a game disc. When I want to play Call of duty I now have to put in the disc instead of switching automatically a backwards step really but MS got bullied

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

This sum's up the mess at lauch very well, courtesy of CAD comics.
    cad-20140110-eaa20.png

I've decided to lock this thread, I don't really see the point of it & didn't from the beginning, but said I'd give it fair chance. It's an open door to Xbox One bashing, & serves no real constructive purpose. Some may regret buying the console, but in a situation like this, the console & service will improve all the time with updates etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement