Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning/sanitizing

Options
  • 31-12-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Wondering what people use for cleaning/sanitizing equipment after each use ? What's the easiest , fastest method ? Tthanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I use a no rinse method of sanitizing - 20 litres of water with 30ml of thin bleach and 30ml of vinegar. Don't add bleach and vinegar neat! Its something I saw on here or on beoir - always worked well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

I use milton. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Keedowah wrote: »
    I use a no rinse method of sanitizing - 20 litres of water with 30ml of thin bleach and 30ml of vinegar. Don't add bleach and vinegar neat! Its something I saw on here or on beoir - always worked well for me.

I would go with this one myself, I got some sanitizing solution with the beer kit I got but needed a good rinse after, other wise your left with a powdery residue on your equipment and ya would be cautious what you rinse with especially starting off. Having said that their are no rinse sanitizers out there but from what I've read the ol' bleach water & vinegar works a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have invested in star san.

I have used many of the methods mentioned, including the vinegar/bleach one.

However, I think the bleach kills the head in my beers, and I would be concerned about residual chlorine.

They all work, but I think star san, in sealed container has a long life span. Many people prepare a solution of it in a spray bottle, and then you can just spray down everything as you work, instead of immersing everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Another vote for Starsan, takes the uncertainty out of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Thanks for all the tips, I got coopers beer kit for Xmas that came with vpw sterilizer that cleans as well. I've read that Star San is the way to go. Only one place in the country though that sells it that I can see. I'll invest and get the brewing going. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Is Starsan a no rinse sanitizer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

isn't Starsan from five star chemicals one of the onwers is the main man behind the bleach and vinegar solution.

Advertisement