Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil burner ventilation issue?

• 31-12-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭

I have a grekros outdoor boiler with bentone sterling 50 st 120, hasn't been used in over a year, got the oil tank topped up, cleaned the chamber and baffles etc and bleed the pump and every thing seemed to be running fine. However when I place the metal door on the grekros unit within 40 secs the unit starts to vibrate and locks out. Run for hrs no problem with the door off.

Check the fan events are not blocked.

I've opened the oil pump no dirt, bleed it again and oil pressure is at 10. Anyone seem this before? I'm on an exposed site and it is windy here during all this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I have a grekros outdoor boiler with bentone sterling 50 st 120, hasn't been used in over a year, got the oil tank topped up, cleaned the chamber and baffles etc and bleed the pump and every thing seemed to be running fine. However when I place the metal door on the grekros unit within 40 secs the unit starts to vibrate and locks out. Run for hrs no problem with the door off.

Check the fan events are not blocked.

I've opened the oil pump no dirt, bleed it again and oil pressure is at 10. Anyone seem this before? I'm on an exposed site and it is windy here during all this?

Sounds like its sucking in its own poc.
    The problem more than likely is the seal on the combustion chamber is leaking gases and the burner is sucking it in.
    New seal should solve problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

+1

Also if it's running on kero, 10 bar is most likely too high & if it's running in Class D, it will be too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Gerkros outdoors have a problem with fumes also leaking at top of boiler at flue connection, and especially where flue goes through roof of boiler hut due to rusting. Put your hand up close and you'll feel hot fumes draft.

First check boiler gasket door over the burner for leakage as previously suggested, then chimney.
    Your problem is fumes escaping in boiler hut = won't work with door fitted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

scudo2 wrote: »
    Gerkros outdoors have a problem with fumes also leaking at top of boiler at flue connection, and especially where flue goes through roof of boiler hut due to rusting. Put your hand up close and you'll feel hot fumes draft.

or use your FGA even.

First check boiler gasket door over the burner for leakage as previously suggested, then chimney.
    Your problem is fumes escaping in boiler hut = won't work with door fitted.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

ive never seen such rust buckets when they start to fall apart sorry I have I used to own a k30 toyota many moons ago now jaysus could they rust

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    ive never seen such rust buckets when they start to fall apart sorry I have I used to own a k30 toyota many moons ago now jaysus could they rust

I had a Fiat 128 one time and the whole front of it nearly went off without me one time. Early days of recycling.:(:(:( BTW also had a K20, roof nearly went off that one. I kept the isopon makers in business in those days.

Wearb wrote: »
    I had a Fiat 128 one time and the whole front of it nearly went off without me one time. Early days of recycling.:(:(:( BTW also had a K20, roof nearly went off that one. I kept the isopon makers in business in those days.

oh jaysus I had a k20 as well great little goer used to get my local garage man to keep the used oil for me it used at least a gallon a week eventually the 2 springs decided they were better off in the boot

pity we didn't know scudo then we could have got all them spare biscuit tins off him for body restoration :D:D

Floor boards on floor of my renault 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Cheers for all the info

Just back inside after following ur advice

Checked the top access panel tighten it some more put a new gasket on it last year ran it again with the door closed same lock out problem.

Packed the insulation in much tighter between the boiler flue and outer casing and ran it for an hr with the door closed and it's running perfect,

Totally agree with the rust bucket comment i opened the boiler up last year for the first time to find four inches of water in the chamber all leaking in front the top. Sealed it with some heat resistant silicone was happy to find no water this year.

Boiler is about 8yrs old and only used two full tanks of oil (have solid fuel range and stove) in that time, would like to think it would be in better condition that it is.

Burner flange gasket, perhaps?

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    oh jaysus I had a k20 as well great little goer used to get my local garage man to keep the used oil for me it used at least a gallon a week eventually the 2 springs decided they were better off in the boot

pity we didn't know scudo then we could have got all them spare biscuit tins off him for body restoration :D:D

The biscuit tins would have come in handy with those cars. Come to think of it, I think that is what they were made out of.
    Ever worked in Japan Scudo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Sorry didn't make that too clear it was the insulation around the flue it's running 100% now.... Thanks for the help everyone

Sorry didn't make that too clear it was the insulation around the flue it's running 100% now.... Thanks for the help everyone
    Wearb wrote: »
    The biscuit tins would have come in handy with those cars. Come to think of it, I think that is what they were made out of.
    Ever worked in Japan Scudo?

scudo hasn't even worked in limerick or has he :p

I think I came across a hybrid Jacobs/mcvitie boiler about 2 years ago :D

loved the baffle set up

And thank you too, Galway guy for pointing out to these part timers, how helpful my diagnosis was.

And thank you too, Galway guy for pointing out to these part timers, how helpful my diagnosis was.

now galway guy your problem is solved you can slip away and enjoy your new years eve

and the rest of us have to try and reduce scudos ego back to normal whatever that is :D:D

I wouldn't let it go to yer head.
    The sun even shines on a dog's ass somedays!
    Happy New Year :-)

Advertisement