Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    Nice detective work there PaulieC and Gavlor! Mighty impressed ;)
    Thanks Amk but the damn cut glass stole all my thunder :-(

Careful ya don't land yourself a stalker

I believe them Everton supporters are particularly susceptible to demonstrating stalkerish tendancies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Monday 24 March
    No running:eek: Cocktails instead:D
    AIS am and pm

Tuesday 25 March
    3 x (6x30 sec strides) w/5min jog between sets & 5 mins at 95% effort.

Feeling the after effects of last night so left work early, came home and instead of going to bed for a few hours I decided to try my workout and if I wasn't 'feeling it' I'd leave it as an easy run and do the workout tomorrow.
    AIS pre run and then some drills. I've never done drills before but reading up on them they seem to be good for working on coordination, strength and flexibility all of which I could do with improving. I did a set of Butt Kicks, Feet Shuffles, School Yard Skips and Flat Foot Marches. Fun to do but probably looked like a bit of a lunatic doing them in the park but as the weather was so sh1ght, luckily there were very few people about.

2.5 miles warmup with hail into the face. Crazy schizophrenic weather.
    All hangover signs subsided so got into the workout.
    Enjoyed the strides. Worked very hard but not all out, somewhere around 3k effort. There was a coach from Clonliffe trainig and timing a guy from the club who was doing these amazingly fast loops near me so that kind of got me into a good frame of mind for the workout and spurred me on. Got through the 3 sets well and was looking forward to each new set. 5 mins jog at the end and then 5 mins run at 95% effort. I did this too hard last week so held back a bit more this week but yes it was quite painful but I recovered within about 40 secs when finished so maybe a better effort level this week. I didn't quite feel like crying after it like last week but I was fecked that's for sure. Took a big gulp of air in when I finished and swallowed a fly! It was a case of either swallow it whole or battle with it. I was gagging so just let it down in one fell swoop. I'm vegetarian:( I'll dedicate my next run to said fly:)

A few very slow miles to cool down.
    8 miles for the day
    AIS after run (don't normally do it after runs but right hamstring felt a little tight and I knew the specific AIS exercises would help it which it did immediately) and foam roll when I got home and then I did the Myrtl routine with groovy Coach Jay!

So that's AIS....then Drills.... then Run.... then AIS..... then Myrtl,.... then Foam Roll. I feel like I'm training for the feckin Olympics:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

there were very few people about.

Not even Park Rangers??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Careful ya don't land yourself a stalker

I believe them Everton supporters are particularly susceptible to demonstrating stalkerish tendancies :)

Yeah..those Everton supporters are always after something that in reality is just not achievable.....like cups and leagues:pac::D;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Not even Park Rangers??

No I think they have a particular penchant for the girls doing hill sprints:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Great log, are you still wearing the HRM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RedRunner wrote: »
    Yeah..those Everton supporters are always after something that in reality is just not achievable.....like cups and leagues:pac::D;)

Low blow

Great log, are you still wearing the HRM?

cheers. Naw I gave it up and it's actually very liberating. I might go back to it but not for the moment. I feel a lot freer without it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Monday 24 March
    No running:eek: Cocktails instead:D
    AIS am and pm

Tuesday 25 March
    3 x (6x30 sec strides) w/5min jog between sets & 5 mins at 95% effort.

Feeling the after effects of last night so left work early, came home and instead of going to bed for a few hours I decided to try my workout and if I wasn't 'feeling it' I'd leave it as an easy run and do the workout tomorrow.
    AIS pre run and then some drills. I've never done drills before but reading up on them they seem to be good for working on coordination, strength and flexibility all of which I could do with improving. I did a set of Butt Kicks, Feet Shuffles, School Yard Skips and Flat Foot Marches. Fun to do but probably looked like a bit of a lunatic doing them in the park but as the weather was so sh1ght, luckily there were very few people about.

2.5 miles warmup with hail into the face. Crazy schizophrenic weather.
    All hangover signs subsided so got into the workout.
    Enjoyed the strides. Worked very hard but not all out, somewhere around 3k effort. There was a coach from Clonliffe trainig and timing a guy from the club who was doing these amazingly fast loops near me so that kind of got me into a good frame of mind for the workout and spurred me on. Got through the 3 sets well and was looking forward to each new set. 5 mins jog at the end and then 5 mins run at 95% effort. I did this too hard last week so held back a bit more this week but yes it was quite painful but I recovered within about 40 secs when finished so maybe a better effort level this week. I didn't quite feel like crying after it like last week but I was fecked that's for sure. Took a big gulp of air in when I finished and swallowed a fly! It was a case of either swallow it whole or battle with it. I was gagging so just let it down in one fell swoop. I'm vegetarian:( I'll dedicate my next run to said fly:)

A few very slow miles to cool down.
    8 miles for the day
    AIS after run (don't normally do it after runs but right hamstring felt a little tight and I knew the specific AIS exercises would help it which it did immediately) and foam roll when I got home and then I did the Myrtl routine with groovy Coach Jay!

So that's AIS....then Drills.... then Run.... then AIS..... then Myrtl,.... then Foam Roll. I feel like I'm training for the feckin Olympics:D
    Im tired just reading all that, fair play to you. Cant believe ye had hail it was so sunny and lovely here today, its like 4 seasons in 24 hours.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Im tired just reading all that, fair play to you. Cant believe ye had hail it was so sunny and lovely here today, its like 4 seasons in 24 hours.

We had a bit of everything really this afternoon. Very heavy hail but some lovely sunshine too. It's all about layering;) and hoping your top won't be stolen when you run back to get it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

We had a bit of everything really this afternoon. Very heavy hail but some lovely sunshine too. It's all about layering;) and hoping your top won't be stolen when you run back to get it:rolleyes:

You'd have needed kevlar vest style layering for some of that hail yesterday! I was in the park in the evening and had to find shelter under a tree for 5 minutes while it pelted down! Two intervals later and I was still cold so I had to abort the session!!:cool: I'd began 40 mins earlier in lovely warm sunshine!

belcarra wrote: »
    You'd have needed kevlar vest style layering for some of that hail yesterday! I was in the park in the evening and had to find shelter under a tree for 5 minutes while it pelted down! Two intervals later and I was still cold so I had to abort the session!!:cool: I'd began 40 mins earlier in lovely warm sunshine!

God Mayo men are awful soft:P You poor poor thing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

God Mayo men are awful soft:P You poor poor thing:D

Oi! I was running the risk of lightening under that tree!!

Wednesday 26 March
    35 mins recovery pace

Keeping these super duper slow as I just care now about having fresh legs for the harder stuff so if paces are way slower than calculators say I should be running them then I don't really care. It's time on the feet to add to overall aerobic fitness, that's all. 12ish min/miles.

Thursday 27 March
    55 min progression run

Happy out with this. Short enough window for it as I was squeezing it in between finishing work this evening and meeting a client tonight. I hate when there's time pressures on me during a run as I can't fully relax. Would have liked to do another recovery mile or two at the end but alas, it was not to be.
    Foam roll then AIS before run. And I just didn't have time to do my drills and it just wasn't suitable to do them where I was running on busy enough paths. Sorry boss:o
    Paces:
    Mile 1: 10:46
    Mile 2: 10:05
    Mile 3: 9:42
    Mile 4: 9:03
    Mile 5: 8:41
    8:11 (last 6ish minutes)
    1.5 miles cool down.
    Knew I started out a bit fast but I was cold and it was slightly downhill so not too worried. Every time I heard the watch beeping on the mile splits I upped the effort a notch. Started 'working' on mile 4 and was working a fair bit by the last few mins but nothing I couldn't handle and sustain if I had to. Very enjoyable. So that's an increase from 40 mins to 55 mins for these progression runs since I started them 4 weeks ago and I really feel I'm gaining good instinct about what different paces feel like.
    Foam rolled all my bits when home and after it did about 10 mins AIS.
    7+ miles total

I really admire your discipline with all the routines on top of the runs. I just about get to do one or the other but always find it difficult to do both on a regular basis.

RedRunner wrote: »
    I really admire your discipline with all the routines on top of the runs. I just about get to do one or the other but always find it difficult to do both on a regular basis.

Thanks RR. I'll do pretty much whatever it takes to stay injury free so I can continue with this 5k training which I'm really enjoying without the gluteal issue rearing its ugly head again. All in the greater good:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭rom

cheers. Naw I gave it up and it's actually very liberating. I might go back to it but not for the moment. I feel a lot freer without it to be honest.

Running without watch on the easy days I find good also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What plan are you following for the 5KM?

adrian522 wrote: »
    What plan are you following for the 5KM?

hi adrian. Stazza very kindly put a 15 week plan together for me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

hi adrian. Stazza very kindly put a 15 week plan together for me

Nice, how far in are you?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Nice, how far in are you?

yeah it's fun! 4 weeks in!

Friday 27 March
    No running AGAIN:eek:
    I'm actually quite proud of myself for not running as my tfl or psoas or something at the front (pants pocket area) of the top of my leg (opposite side to recent glute trouble) was a little tender. I was in the gear and one side of my brain was pushing me out the door to 'test it' :rolleyes: (that old runners' adage :rolleyes:) but the other side was telling me to cop and and it's only one 3 mile missed run and give the leg a break 'just in case'. The sensible side won over:D
    AIS am and pm and a few foam rolling sessions. AIS worked it's magic again and the leg felt super going to bed.

Saturday 28 March
    am - 35 mins recovery effort

Woke up feeling great with just the tiniest tender feeling in the leg but did another foam roll and AIS session and everything felt good and felt great during the run. Kept it at recovery effort. Don't know the pace but prob 12 min/miles.
    pm - 45 mins easy
    Working all day. Haven't had a full day off since December... Something's gotta give sometime soon...
    4ish miles with a little more effort than this morning. Again, don't know the pace but probably around 11min/miles. Thoroughly enjoyable and would have liked to go further and faster but need to keep plenty in the tank for tomorrow's 10 miles with 3 x 8mins at 5mile pace. A little bit scared about that one:o but excited also:D
    7+ miles total

How do you judge what your 5 mile pace is?

How do you judge what your 5 mile pace is?

very good question and your guess is as good as mine:D Something between the effort for 5k and 10k race I guess!

very good question and your guess is as good as mine:D Something between the effort for 5k and 10k race I guess!

Im a disaster at judging effort /pace. I think I have only 3 speeds slow, fast (by my standards) and on a bad day something that feels like going backwards!

From following your log, I think your 5 mile race pace should be about 8:45-9:00 per mile. So an 8 minute run at that pace should cover 0.9 miles over the 8 minutes. Yeah., rightish.....or n'ah Im talking ****e?

From following your log, I think your 5 mile race pace should be about 8:45-9:00 per mile. So an 8 minute run at that pace should cover 0.9 miles over the 8 minutes. Yeah., rightish.....or n'ah Im talking ****e?
    5 mile pace should be about 8:30pace based on my 5k pb from a year ago but I'm a lot fitter now so I'd guess 8:15ish or less would be more accurate but as I'm running these efforts by feel it's in the lap of the running gods as to what I'll do tomorrow!

forgot that I actually did a 5 mile race last summer and it was 42.22 so 8:28 pace so I'd be hoping my efforts would be faster than that now. We'll see!

Thinking of tomorrows run as 10 miles with 3 x 1mile @ 5 mile pace sounds like a simplier way to judge it then.....if ya feel good.

And you feel good by not buying a big dirty creamy mothers day cake and eating half of it yourself.....like Im probably gonna do :D

• Advertisement

forgot that I actually did a 5 mile race last summer and it was 42.22 so 8:28 pace so I'd be hoping my efforts would be faster than that now. We'll see!

I'd be inclined to have that pace as my upper limit. Anything inside that will be a great session. Coach Staztler (see what I did there??) might say differently though!

Thinking of tomorrows run as 10 miles with 3 x 1mile @ 5 mile pace sounds like a simplier way to judge it then.....if ya feel good.

And you feel good by not buying a big dirty creamy mothers day cake and eating half of it yourself.....like Im probably gonna do :D

Now who's gonna give me mother's day cake? My mother:confused: I think I'm supposed to buy it for her!

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to have that pace as my upper limit. Anything inside that will be a great session. Coach Staztler (see what I did there??) might say differently though!

well it'll be by effort so whatever happens happens!

Now who's gonna give me mother's day cake? My mother:confused: I think I'm supposed to buy it for her!

That's what I said. The one you buy, not the one you are given

I only have to buy one whilest acting on behalf of my 4 year old son. I really do have to don't I? And I have to help eat it too don't I? It'd be rude not to. :D

Anyway I have been here about 18 months now and I have always seen it preached that an LSR has to be all slow. So I don't get it anyways.

I only have to buy one whilest acting on behalf of my 4 year old son. I really do have to don't I? And I have to help eat it too don't I? It'd be rude not to. :D

just make sure to get her favourite cake and not yours;)

Sunday 30 March
    3 miles at sick pace:mad:
    Felt a bit iffy going to bed last night, very hot and heart rate quite high. A few dizzy spells. Slept grand but woke with swollen glands and hr over 60 (usually under 50). Thought I'd feel better once I got up and I did for a while so did my AIS and was ok so headed to park. I felt like I was running backwards:( Did 2 miles warm up and some drills but felt a bit lightheaded so decided not to go ahead with the planned run. Thought if I felt better tonight I'd give it another go but alas it's not to be today. Had to abandon my poor mother in the middle of town and go home to bed after a near fainting spell and she had come all the way up from Kilkenny:(
    Feel a bit better after some salt and water gargling and a few hours kip. Have to meet a client tonight so I just don't seem to get a proper chance to rest at all. As I said in a previous post, something's gotta give soon as I know I'm just working too much and I don't want my running health to suffer. I suspect that my immune system is down as I forgot to take my B12 for about a week and this has happened before. I never hardly get sick - one cold a year and never at this time of the year so it's not normal for me.
    Bf has made me a delicious veggie stew so a big bowl of that is on the cards in a bit:D
    Bad end to the week and very poor mileage-wise but I guess I did get 2 quality runs in earlier in the week.

28 miles total for the week

• Advertisement

Sunday 30 March
    Felt a bit iffy going to bed last night, very hot and heart rate quite high. A few dizzy spells. Slept grand but woke with swollen glands and hr over 60 (usually under 50). Thought I'd feel better once I got up and I did for a while so did my AIS and was ok so headed to park. I felt like I was running backwards:( Did 2 miles warm up and some drills but felt a bit lightheaded so decided not to go ahead with the planned run. Thought if I felt better tonight I'd give it another go but alas it's not to be today. Had to abandon my poor mother in the middle of town and go home to bed after a near fainting spell and she had come all the way up from Kilkenny:(
    Feel a bit better after some salt and water gargling and a few hours kip. Have to meet a client tonight so I just don't seem to get a proper chance to rest at all. As I said in a previous post, something's gotta give soon as I know I'm just working too much and I don't want my running health to suffer. I suspect that my immune system is down as I forgot to take my B12 for about a week and this has happened before. I never hardly get sick - one cold a year and never at this time of the year so it's not normal for me.
    Bf has made me a delicious veggie stew so a big bowl of that is on the cards in a bit:D
    Bad end to the week and very poor mileage-wise but I guess I did get 2 quality runs in earlier in the week.

Don't stress over missing a run, it would have been silly to carry on. Hope you are better soon.

It's glaringly obvious that you have been running too often :D

I joke, I joke!

Get the manuka honey into you

Sunday 30 March

Looks like you need to slow down a bit ,even temporarily, to get all your engines operating at 100% again? Hope the stew does the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I hope you didn't pick up a variant of the man flu. It's rear for your type to pick it up but it does happen....you'd know all about suffering then:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Cleanman wrote: »
    I hope you didn't pick up a variant of the man flu. It's rear for your type to pick it up but it does happen....you'd know all about suffering then:P

Another of Cleanman's legendary Freudian Slips ;)

• Advertisement

Monday 31 March
    no running - sick:(
    Managed to just about drag my sorry sick ass out of bed and struggle to work. Made it known around me that I wasn't feeling well so I'd get some sympathy and encouragement to go home. It didn't happen:mad: Gave up at 4 and got to bed by 5. A bit of sleep and I feel much better. Swelling in neck gone down and dizzy spells gone but hr still 20bpm too high.
    So the plan is that I'll be 80% better tomorrow and if feeling good will try and easy run late in the day and then the next plan is that I'll be 100% better for Wednesday and do my session! So there!
    I can honestly say though that today was the first day since I can remember that I just didn't want to run:( It was struggle enough to get through the day.

March overview:

Can't believe the month is gone. How did that happen so quickly:confused:
    158 miles total
    28 days running out of 31
    11 quality runs
    7 doubles
    Sleep has improved in a big way. I only had a handful of nights where I had problems but on the whole most nights are 6-7 hours which is super:)
    NO INJURY:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

So the plan is that I'll be 80% better tomorrow and if feeling good will try and easy run late in the day and then the next plan is that I'll be 100% better for Wednesday and do my session! So there!
    I can honestly say though that today was the first day since I can remember that I just didn't want to run:( It was struggle enough to get through the day.

Now you listen to me, young lady: there will be no session this week and there will be no running in any way, shape or form until you are 100% better. Simple.

When you are sick, your body is broken - running adds stress. No running. No sessions. Get better. And you wait and see, next week this little rock will still be doing its thing, and after a few days of easy running you'll be back at it. Get to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Take it very easy until your 100%. A couple of days off is no big deal. Get well soon;)

Stazza wrote: »
    Now you listen to me, young lady: there will be no session this week and there will be no running in any way, shape or form until you are 100% better. Simple.

When you are sick, your body is broken - running adds stress. No running. No sessions. Get better. And you wait and see, next week this little rock will still be doing its thing, and after a few days of easy running you'll be back at it. Get to bed.

:eek:

Stazza wrote: »

The boss has spoken, do what you are told, make the most of the rest. Is there no way you can take a day off?

The boss has spoken, do what you are told, make the most of the rest. Is there no way you can take a day off?

what's that:confused:
    No but might try to arrange it so that I can take most of Sunday off. Very busy between now and then I'm afraid.....

what's that:confused:
    No but might try to arrange it so that I can take most of Sunday off. Very busy between now and then I'm afraid.....

I did warn you the recession was over;) Seriously the body and mind need a break.

I did warn you the recession was over;) Seriously the body and mind need a break.

I hear ya Sam. Great for my business but can all get a bit too much!!!
    90% better today so on track for the 100 tomorrow ;) but I will rest again today and run easy then for a few days. Lucky for me it's nothing like man "flu" !

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

You're lucky you've avoided the plague:cool:

But remember that being sick is like having a dodgy hamstring (a well known saying!). Once you think you're 100%, take another day off cos you're not 100%. Just sayin'...

Tuesday 1st and Wednesday 2nd April

No running and not 'cause some Quare Old Fella off the internet told me not to:p, just cause I didn't feel well enough. Total running apathy which is a new feeling for me.
    Not being able to run due to being sick is still 100% better than not being able to run due to injury. With sickness, you know (most of the time) that you'll be better in a few days. With injury, it's the great unknown that's scary and it's very frustrating cause mentally you really want to run but physically you can't. When sick, you don't want to run mentally or physically, well for me anyways.
    I knew I was getting my spark back last night when the topic of Men's capri:eek: running pants and running tights came up on the Gear Forum and my dander was up! Yes, I cared about the world again:D

Thursday 3rd April

45 mins recovery to easy effort.
    Some very gentle AIS and headed to the local park which is now OPEN UNTIL 8 EVER NIGHT YYYYAAAAYYYY:D My legs didn't know themselves with the recent little holiday and enjoyed the jaunt.
    I'd hope to be back to my plan properly by Sunday and pick up where I left off and will run easy between now and then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement