Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be still my beating heart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

9am and she was about 103 miles. Her knee is hurting and she will have to walk the rest of the way in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

As posted by Wowzer over on the race thread at 11:15am ...
    With less than 1 hour to go Ososlo is in 2nd of the open race and 5th in the Irish Championship. She's been struggling with knee issues since about the 20 hour mark..

It's really difficult to figure out this race with the timing problems during the night. Really hope A held on for second or was able to chase after 1st.

Unofficial result from the International Association of Ultrarunners .... a phenomenal 108.8 miles (175km). I've no idea of where she placed as it just gives the overall result.

What a superb achievement, 24 hours of running non-stop around in a circle and by the sounds of it, without knowing her pacing. Hats off to you A, you are a super star :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

That's at 11 am. There was a bit more after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Neady83 wrote: »
    Unofficial result from the International Association of Ultrarunners .... a phenomenal 108.8 miles (175km). I've no idea of where she placed as it just gives the overall result.

Hi Neady, thought the same and posted this about 10mins ago and then unposted it :rolleyes:.

http://www.iau-ultramarathon.org/home.asp

The "CURRENT LIST" is actually only 11am this morning (can verify that for definite as the top 3 women's order there is different from the final sheet). They have the International results up to date (in separate Men, Women, Team sheets), but not for Open runners yet.

Which means :) ... Ososlo will have *more* than 108.8 miles and a huge PB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Delighted with my (tbc) placing in Irish Champs and 2nd in Open Race (also tbc).
    Mileage a bit down on what I hoped for but I went into the race with 2 very important goals: one was to run at least 110 miles and the other was to keep moving forward for the full 24 hours, both of which I did. I have a solid new pb of 11 miles or so and it's going in the right direction.
    My sore arm started acting up about 5am and swinging it really hurt so I had to adapt a walk/ run strategy to minimise pain. I was eventually reduced to a walk only strategy as my legs just caved in and right knee started complaining with the impact of jogging. There was no way I was going home without eeking out every meter humanly possible and am very happy with how I mentally did not give in but gave it my all. My crew were amazing and their encouragement and informing me of my placings regularly, really helped push me on.
    Tailwind worked well but I did have to alternate with plain water.
    Highlight had to be meeting and chatting with Pete Kostelnick and Dave Proctor and two nicer guys you could not meet. Both had bad races unfortunately and had to drop out.
    An amazing experience to run with the world's best ultra runners.
    Am in bits now, as per last year but maybe not quite as bad but walking is very hard :(
    More to follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Osolegend

Just a brilliant job, delighted you did so well. Recover well and looking to the report!

Legend, plain and simple, you are amazing :) and a podium finish eeekkkkk what an achievement in such a prestigious race. Really delighted for you A. That is some achievement.

To keep going when you were in such pain ...... unbelievably tough. You're nuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Delighted for you. Amazing endurance and focus to keep moving for 24 hours.

Recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Ososlo wrote: »
    Delighted with my (tbc) placing in Irish Champs and 2nd in Open Race (also tbc).
    Mileage a bit down on what I hoped for but I went into the race with 2 very important goals: one was to run at least 110 miles and the other was to keep moving forward for the full 24 hours, both of which I did. I have a solid new pb of 11 miles or so and it's going in the right direction.
    My sore arm started acting up about 5am and swinging it really hurt so I had to adapt a walk/ run strategy to minimise pain. I was eventually reduced to a walk only strategy as my legs just caved in and right knee started complaining with the impact of jogging. There was no way I was going home without eeking out every meter humanly possible and am very happy with how I mentally did not give in but gave it my all. My crew were amazing and their encouragement and informing me of my placings regularly, really helped push me on.
    Tailwind worked well but I did have to alternate with plain water.
    Highlight had to be meeting and chatting with Pete Kostelnick and Dave Proctor and two nicer guys you could not meet. Both had bad races unfortunately and had to drop out.
    An amazing experience to run with the world's best ultra runners.
    Am in bits now, as per last year but maybe not quite as bad but walking is very hard :(
    More to follow...

Congrats A, that's an amazing result! Warrior. Recover well! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

What an achievement! Congratulations. Amazing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Look at you. Look at how far you've come. Can't quite see where you're going but I know it's osofar! Full and utter respect to you. Recover well missus and that better not have been the report ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

+1 ^^^. No words to add... just in awe of you, ya mad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Fantastic result, really great racing, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Marvellous result, well done. Great return on all that training. Recover well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That's absolutely fantastic, congratulations. What a result and mileage.

Mind yourself over the next while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well done, it's hard for us normal runner's to even comprehend this type of race. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done A, brilliant result. Recover well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fantastic achievement A. Delighted for you. Hope you recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I really don't think I can appreciate what it took to train for & execute that race.
    Absolutely unreal.
    Very well done.

• Advertisement

Thanks, folks! Recovery is gonna take some time... but feeling good besides the aches. I heard that this race is being moved back to the track next year so am delighted about that! Smaller laps, yay!!! And much more forgiving surface. Bring it on!!

112.572 miles for me. 230 meters behind 5th Irish female!!! *Ouch*

(If only I had ignored that last call of nature!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How's the knee now or is that the least of your worries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ososlo wrote: »
    230 meters behind 5th Irish female!!! *Ouch*

Is that the ultra equivalent of a photo finish? :D

aquinn wrote: »
    How's the knee now or is that the least of your worries?

Everything is sore so can't distinguish the knee from the rest of the painful bits and bobs :D I think it will be ok!
    Arms, back, and quads, all very tender.
    I have now done a 24 hour stint in bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Fantastic performance and a great result! Obviously a little disappointing that your knee played up, but it sounds like you persevered well. Enjoy the recovery, though I have to admit being a little surprised that you're talking about next year already :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Brilliant, huge congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

What an achievement Ososlo - you are amazing. Recover well and God only knows what plans are ahead for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Amazing achievement and well deserved. Hope the recovery is speedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific, Aoife, well done and congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

This is up there with the best Aoife , massive congrats on an incredible training block and wonderful performance .
    The distances covered are mind boggling really, you should be Oso so proud and I'm sure you are !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement