Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Excellent. Truly excellent; thanks for the spelling lesson - you're a Quare Old Bit of a Bird, yourself :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Great stuff, the break probably did you the world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Friday 4 April
    35 mins easy. Feeling lots better. Heart rate coming back down to normal levels.

Saturday 5 April
    50 mins easy.
    Was going to do 2 easy runs today of about 4 miles each but He Who Must be Obeyed had other ideas thought better of is as I'm only back from sickness.

Plan was to go to the Phoneix Park as I haven't been there in ages. Donned the running gear and looked down and saw my sad looking hairy legs:o Oh dear, no time to shave so kept the run local. They don't mind hairy legs in Santry but mightn't let me into the Phoenix Park with them... :D
    Interesting run. This lady passed me a few times with this amazing gliding stride like she was running mid-air. I knew she was something special but didn't recognise her. That is until today when I saw the Great Ireland run on TV and turns out it was Sophie Duarte, a French runner who came second today in GIR in 33:48. She must be staying in the local hotel or something. I regularly see Fionnuala and Mary Cullen running there too. Great calibre of runners in Northwood Park!

Sunday 6 April
    10 miles with 3 x 8 mins at 5mile effort
    (3mins recoveries)
    Legs shaved and tanned and ready to go to the Phoenix Park until it dawned on me that the GIR is on so the park will be hectic so on to Plan B which was St. Anne's Park for this one.
    Stomach was feeling very strange during the night and not 100% this morning so didn't know how this would go. Thought I'd just leave it as an easy 10miler if not feeling good during the first effort. Just displayed time and distance on the watch and off I went. Didn't feel great on the warmup miles but thought I'd try the first 8 mins and see how I felt. Felt good actually and stomach fine but a little light-headed when I stopped so I guess I'm not totally out of the woods from recent illness yet (pace checked afterwards 8:15). Felt grand after 3 mins recovery (didn't need full 3 mins but took it) and onto second effort which was slightly uphill and into wind (8:30) If I had been running these by the watch and not running them by effort then I would have busted a gut to do this one faster whereas I was definitely working just as hard as for the first rep.
    Third was 8:13 pace. Yes I was working hard but I have to say this is the most comfortable I've felt yet running at these paces. It was comfortably hard and I was very much in control. Happy enough with today as I'm only just back from illness where I was feeling pretty dreadful so I reckon I would have done a bit better if in full health.
    A paltry 22 miles for the week which is dire but only from 4 days running and 3 days off from sickness so whatever...
    Next week will bring bigger and better things:D

Ososlo wrote: »
    Friday 4 April
    35 mins easy. Feeling lots better. Heart rate coming back down to normal levels.

Saturday 5 April
    50 mins easy.
    Was going to do 2 easy runs today of about 4 miles each but He Who Must be Obeyed had other ideas thought better of is as I'm only back from sickness.

Plan was to go to the Phoneix Park as I haven't been there in ages. Donned the running gear and looked down and saw my sad looking hairy legs:o Oh dear, no time to shave so kept the run local. They don't mind hairy legs in Santry but mightn't let me into the Phoenix Park with them... :D
    Interesting run. This lady passed me a few times with this amazing gliding stride like she was running mid-air. I knew she was something special but didn't recognise her. That is until today when I saw the Great Ireland run on TV and turns out it was Sophie Duarte, a French runner who came second today in GIR in 33:48. She must be staying in the local hotel or something. I regularly see Fionnuala and Mary Cullen running there too. Great calibre of runners in Northwood Park!

Sunday 6 April
    10 miles with 3 x 8 mins at 5mile effort
    (3mins recoveries)
    Legs shaved and tanned and ready to go to the Phoenix Park until it dawned on me that the GIR is on so the park will be hectic so on to Plan B which was St. Anne's Park for this one.
    Stomach was feeling very strange during the night and not 100% this morning so didn't know how this would go. Thought I'd just leave it as an easy 10miler if not feeling good during the first effort. Just displayed time and distance on the watch and off I went. Didn't feel great on the warmup miles but thought I'd try the first 8 mins and see how I felt. Felt good actually and stomach fine but a little light-headed when I stopped so I guess I'm not totally out of the woods from recent illness yet (pace checked afterwards 8:15). Felt grand after 3 mins recovery (didn't need full 3 mins but took it) and onto second effort which was slightly uphill and into wind (8:30) If I had been running these by the watch and not running them by effort then I would have busted a gut to do this one faster whereas I was definitely working just as hard as for the first rep.
    Third was 8:13 pace. Yes I was working hard but I have to say this is the most comfortable I've felt yet running at these paces. It was comfortably hard and I was very much in control. Happy enough with today as I'm only just back from illness where I was feeling pretty dreadful so I reckon I would have done a bit better if in full health.
    A paltry 22 miles for the week which is dire but only from 4 days running and 3 days off from sickness so whatever...
    Next week will bring bigger and better things:D

God I hope that French one did nt get a look at your legs! You are letting the country down! On a different note there is a virus doing the rounds with your symptoms, 1 of mine have it and just when I think he is better his temp goes back up again! And he is exhausted. You did well to get your session in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Sure the French burd wouldn't bat an eyelid at that, she probably had hair like a kitchen mop under her armpits!

TbL

Sure the French burd wouldn't bat an eyelid at that, she probably had hair like a kitchen mop under her armpits!

TbL

:eek: Glad to see you are picking up lots of useful cultural info on your travels!

Monday 7 April
    4 miles easy
    No aches from Sunday's efforts so went a tiny bit further than my usual 35 min recovery runs but kept it very easy.

Tuesday 8 April
    3 x (6x40 sec) at 3k effort (5mins jog between sets) and 7 mins at 95% effort

Went to St. Anne's Park in Raheny for this as I really enjoyed it for Sunday's session. It's great as it has lots of little private areas to go for a pee, there are quieter areas to do my drills without looking like a melon in public, also there are lots of interesting little climbs and decents and grassy trails and the avenue is lovely and wide and flat and perfect for faster reps and is fairly sheltered. It also has Duanington's Rose Garden Track of course!

AIS at home and 20 min drive to park. 3 mile warm up. Drills on football pitch. These were fun as I could do them unobserved and who the hell doesn't enjoy skipping in a field on a sunny afternoon!
    Now I know I'm in trouble for this but I wanted to know what kinds of paces I'm doing for these reps so hit lap on the watch at the end of each section but I didn't display pace but its nice to be able to view paces after.

3 sets of 6x40 sec strides: Found a dead daffodil to mark out my 40 secs marker after the first rep. Fun fun fun. Loved this section. Would have liked to do a another few sets. Walk back recovery after each 40 seconds and felt fresh and brand new for the next 40. Lovely wide avenue in this park which is perfect for these fast reps as no chance of bumping into folks/dogs/kids etc.

1st set of 40 second efforts: 7:55, 7:31, 7:06, 7:20, 7:08, 7:02
    2nd set: 7:07, 7:14, 7:02, 7:12, 7:13, 7:18
    3rd set: 7:33, 7:18, 6:58, 7:14, 6:59, 7:21

Could have easily sustained the effort I was running at for longer for these so that's showing progress from earlier sessions. Didn't feel too tired at all after the third set and could have done another few sets no bother. 5 min jog recovery and into the last part of the workout which was 7 mins at 95% effort:
    Pace turned out to be 7 mins @7:39:D
    I'm so happy about this. I've never run at that pace for any kind of prolonged amount of time before (maybe a one minute stride) and the best part is, it didn't even feel that hard! I know it probably sounds like I'm making this huge deal out of something that's not any big deal to most around these parts, but here's the thing - it is a big deal for me. I can't fully explain it but to see this kind of pace today and to know I'm making real progress - for me it is huge. I could have run a full mile at that pace no problem today. I think not clock watching is placing less limits in my head about paces I can run. When clock watching before for these kinds of workouts I'd panic if I saw an 8 min/mile on the clock and think - sure that's too fast, I can't sustain that but when I don't know what pace I'm running at I'm freer to experiment with my capabilities.
    Couple of cool down miles at 10:40ish min/miles.
    9.70 miles for the day.
    I adore running :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Worked beside St Annes Pk for 9 yrs and only ran in it a handful times, wasn't as serious about running as i am now. Its a fantastic facilty to have on your doorstep and a lovely place to run.

tang1 wrote: »
    Worked beside St Annes Pk for 9 yrs and only ran in it a handful times, wasn't as serious about running as i am now. Its a fantastic facilty to have on your doorstep and a lovely place to run.

It's not quite on my doorstep but worth the drive for sure. It really is a super park and that avenue is just perfect for interval work. It was very busy on Sunday but nice and quite today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great going . You're coming along very nicely. You are right about st Anne's. I'm just a couple of miles away and run past it more often than in it. Must make better use of it in the future myself especially for speed work, lots of options there alright.

Progress is progress and to be celebrated, well done. What week of the plan are you on now? Any tune up races in the pipe line?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Progress is progress and to be celebrated, well done. What week of the plan are you on now? Any tune up races in the pipe line?

thanks Sam. Week 5. Should be 6 but missed the week of sessions due to being sick. No tune up races planned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done Ososlo - the shackles are coming off :-)

BTW I caught saw someone using the lovely Rose Garden Track the other day for reps so I can't claim it as my own any more - its a free for all now :D

Duanington wrote: »
    BTW I caught saw someone using the lovely Rose Garden Track the other day for reps so I can't claim it as my own any more - its a free for all now :D
    Ah damn... word must be out:( We shoulda kept it quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Nice going Ososlo. You're making good steady progress all the time. Good to see last weeks sickness is out of the system too (def wasn't the man flu so:P)

• Advertisement

Cleanman wrote: »
    Nice going Ososlo. You're making good steady progress all the time. Good to see last weeks sickness is out of the system too (def wasn't the man flu so:P)

Thanks Cleanman. All going in the right direction:D

No I didn't develop the man flu strain of the virus thankfully. I just had the 'woman flu' strain which is a "dreadful disease which causes seriously ill women to pretend to be well and relentlessly come to work. The opposite of man flu." From Websters Medical Dictionary.
    (don't believe everything you read on the internet:p)

Wednesday 9 April
    35 mins easy

Legs felt great despite previous day's efforts but kept it very slow and very short. Just under 12min/miles I think.

Thursday 10 April
    60 min progression run

Long boring day at work but was mentally wrecked by the end of it. Ate a little bit more for lunch than usual as I knew I wouldn't get to eat until 9 tonight.
    AIS and foam roll when I got home from work and headed down to Albert Park beside DCU for a change of scenery. Had a few miles done when I saw a football team doing some drills. Darn, I forgot to do them. Was gonna ask the lads could I jump in and join them! Anyways, I was well into my run by then and didn't want to break the momentum by stopping to do the drills. I'll get it right eventually...
    Ignored the watch but checked paces afterwards:
    11:43
    10:27
    10:17
    9:23
    9:07
    8:36
    8:06 - last bit
    1 mile cool down. When I was running I noticed a few people looking at me with concerned faces. I realised why when I got back to the car. I had blood all over my face coming from my nose. Nothing to panic about. All it is is that when I run my nose constantly streams in cooler weather. I'm fine in warmer weather but it runs constantly during winter/cooler weather when running and the skin gets extremely sore. I seriously don't think I could ever train for a winter marathon as it'd hurt so much on 2/3 hour runs. I rub it constantly and on some occasions I rub it so much that it actually bleeds:o I carry something to dab it with but it's dark coloured so I didn't notice the blood tonight. Too much information:eek: I'll stop:P
    Anyways, delighted with this run. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    7+ mile for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Wednesday 9 April
    35 mins easy

Legs felt great despite previous day's efforts but kept it very slow and very short. Just under 12min/miles I think.

Thursday 10 April
    60 min progression run

Long boring day at work but was mentally wrecked by the end of it. Ate a little bit more for lunch than usual as I knew I wouldn't get to eat until 9 tonight.
    AIS and foam roll when I got home from work and headed down to Albert Park beside DCU for a change of scenery. Had a few miles done when I saw a football team doing some drills. Darn, I forgot to do them. Was gonna ask the lads could I jump in and join them! Anyways, I was well into my run by then and didn't want to break the momentum by stopping to do the drills. I'll get it right eventually...
    Ignored the watch but checked paces afterwards:
    11:43
    10:27
    10:17
    9:23
    9:07
    8:36
    8:06 - last bit
    1 mile cool down. When I was running I noticed a few people looking at me with concerned faces. I realised why when I got back to the car. I had blood all over my face coming from my nose. Nothing to panic about. All it is is that when I run my nose constantly streams in cooler weather. I'm fine in warmer weather but it runs constantly during winter/cooler weather when running and the skin gets extremely sore. I seriously don't think I could ever train for a winter marathon as it'd hurt so much on 2/3 hour runs. I rub it constantly and on some occasions I rub it so much that it actually bleeds:o I carry something to dab it with but it's dark coloured so I didn't notice the blood tonight. Too much information:eek: I'll stop:P
    Anyways, delighted with this run. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    7+ mile for the day

Great going Ososlo

Friday 11 April
    35 mins easy

Hands and arms freezing for this. Note to self: wear more clothes for recovery runs as I never really warm up and hands always stay frozen as I'm moving so slowly.

Saturday 12 April
    10 miles inc 4 x 10 mins at 10k effort

9 hours sleep! Woo h00! Resting heart rate 46 last few days which is the lowest it's ever been for me. No aches, legs and body in general felt super. Really I should be doing this tomorrow as I've had a hardish workout every second day for the last week but as I felt so good I thought I'd do it today due to time constraints tomorrow and I hate running with time constraints.
    Much winder than I expected. Felt good on the 3 mile warm up. First 10 min rep was flat and wind behind me. Felt good. Turned around to do second rep. Blast of wind in the face and gradual uphill the whole way. Thank fu1k i wasn't clock watching as I would have been totally disheartened and probably packed it in. Checked pace afterwards and struggling to do 8:40s. Dismal but not gonna take it personally as it really was a challenge to maintain any effort and I was working just as hard as on windy reps if not harder. 3rd rep back to the flat and back down to sub 8:10s, 4th rep terrible as a terrible struggle once again into wind. Ran some of this near the coast in Clontarf so wind fairly bad. Felt a bit sick after 4th rep so had to stop for about 30 seconds to put my head down between my legs. Felt a bit weak. Remembered that it was almost 5 o'clock and all I'd eaten all day was a smoothie, half an organic protein bar and a handful of seeds. Not enough calories. Very slow jog back to the car to make up the 10 miles. Need to remember to fuel myself better the next time before a harder workout. 10 miles total.

Before I get caught up in the DCM marathon training frenzy, I made a decision yesterday that I'm not going to do it this year. Not going to do any marathon or half marathon. Not going to do any race with the word 'marathon' in it, not even a mini-one:p I have this great opportunity to work on my speed so I'm going to spend the year working on getting faster and look towards DCM 2015 all going well. To be honest, I'd be much prouder of myself for doing a decent 5k and 10k time this year rather than knocking 30 mins off my marathon time. I'm having so much fun at the moment and every workout is such a challenge and exciting that I wouldn't like to disrupt my progress in a few months' time to do all the long slow stuff and lose my 'speed' again. DCM training last year definitely made me slower in the succeeding months. Other people seemed to make these great gains with speed afterwards but not me.
    One factor that helped me make up my mind about not doing it was the route change to the finish this year. For me a huge part of DCM is about the finish up Pearse Street, around by Trinity, down Nasseau Street with the finish line on Merrion Square. It's different this year so I feel slightly less excited about it.
    I had this document going for the last few weeks with a list of pros and cons of doing it. I take my running very seriously for someone so slow:D The cons definitely won out.
    Now I can keep yiz all seats in McGrattan's:D

Very honest post Ososlo, you any short races in mind over the next few months for yourself?

• Advertisement

Very honest post Ososlo, you any short races in mind over the next few months for yourself?

Cheers tang1. You should see the unedited versions of my posts:D
    Yep, Kilbride 5k (I think it was yourself who was referring to it in another thread) as my first go after this block of training and then I'll race another one a few weeks after that, maybe a Parkrun for that one. Then onto 10k training so I guess Autumn for some 10k races.

Kilbride is flat, only bump is at the start and thats it. One thing about it is i dont think its chip timed so that may put some people off. I know the men who do/take the times and between them they have run over 200 marathons and know what there doing. I'll be doing the 5k this year to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear you won't be running Dublin this year.

Hopefully you hit all your goals for the rest of the year and get a good marathon done in 2015.

Kilbride is flat, only bump is at the start and thats it. One thing about it is i dont think its chip timed so that may put some people off. I know the men who do/take the times and between them they have run over 200 marathons and know what there doing. I'll be doing the 5k this year to.

Sounds like a nice course! Yes I asked about the chip thing and they said they were working on getting it so we'll see. At least when you're prepared for not having it you can time yourself properly. Cheers!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you won't be running Dublin this year.

Hopefully you hit all your goals for the rest of the year and get a good marathon done in 2015.

thanks a mill! Sure what's another year:D

Wow big decision on marathon, very decisive, fair play. Now how the hell do you survive on a smoothie and a few seeds during the day?:eek: Id have that eaten before my breakfast in the morning.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Now how the hell do you survive on a smoothie and a few seeds during the day?:eek: Id have that eaten before my breakfast in the morning.

You're hilarious:D
    It wasn't a normal day for me. I slept in very late and had my breakfast as a late lunch but I should have included some form of carb in it and I would've been grand. It was a very big smoothie:D I'd have eaten a lot more than that on a normal day.

You're hilarious:D
    It wasn't a normal day for me. I slept in very late and had my breakfast as a late lunch but I should have included some form of carb in it and I would've been grand. It was a very big smoothie:D I'd have eaten a lot more than that on a normal day.

Glad to hear it. I wont get up in the morning if I couldn't have my breakfast and 2 mugs of tea.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Good on ya for deciding on skipping the Marathon. It's not the be all and end all and it gets too much focus

I've more or less decided a few weeks ago that Im not gonna attempt it either. I have zero confidence that Id complete that kinda training without missing weeks of it due the injuries it would bring on. Feel I definitely need alot more strength in the glutes. But I do still have the September Half as a tentative aim.

Dying to see you run a race - You'll murder the next one!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Good on ya for deciding on skipping the Marathon. It's not the be all and end all and it gets too much focus

I've more or less decided a few weeks ago that Im not gonna attempt it either. I have zero confidence that Id complete that kinda training without missing weeks of it due the injuries it would bring on. Feel I definitely need alot more strength in the glutes. But I do still have the September Half as a tentative aim.

Dying to see you run a race - You'll murder the next one!

Genuinely am very surprised to hear that you're not doing it Laois_Man!
    The funny thing is that I feel I'd be much less likely to get injured doing marathon training as nearly all if it is slow and long training and for me anyways, that kind of training doesn't bring on any injuries. It's the shorter faster kind of training that's more likely to result in injuries. Luckily we've both got the magic AIS on our side to keep that at bay though;) AIS stuff has strengthened my glutes up no end in just a few months.
    So looks like all the cool kids are NOT doing DCM:D 2015 for us;)

• Advertisement

Genuinely am very surprised to hear that you're not doing it Laois_Man!

Notice I used the words "more or less decided". I've left myself a clever get out clause :)

Ive been wondering where all the 2014 DCM novices are. This time last year, there was so many of us that were so keen and making such a racket about it, the 2013 novices thread was already a few weeks old.

Notice I used the words "more or less decided". I've left myself a clever get out clause :)

Ive been wondering where all the 2014 DCM novices are. This time last year, there was so many of us that were so keen and making such a racket about it, the 2013 novices thread was already a few weeks old.

Ha ha yeah there was a racket alright;)
    Can't believe that's a year ago:eek:

Would you consider running the 2015 Londob marathon?

Looks like a good compromise between Dublin 2014 & 2015.......half way between them

Watching it on BBC1 now.....looks like a massive buzz.

Would you consider running the 2015 Londob marathon?

Looks like a good compromise between Dublin 2014 & 2015.......half way between them

Watching it on BBC1 now.....looks like a massive buzz.
    Yeah it's gonna be a great morning's viewing:D Enjoy!
    Never considered any other marathon than DCM before but maybe... looks like a great buzz alright!

When you write your pros & cons list, there's a few obvious cons. Like if you dont know the course like the back of your hand like you would in Dublin, its a big disadvantage. As is not having many or any friends and family supporting you from amongst the spectators......not to mention far fewer boardsies with you thru preperations and on the big day itself.

The biggest con for me would be starting a program around late November or early December and the uncertainty around training conditions. If there's a couple of weeks of bad snowfall half way thru, it would make 5hite of all your work.

Sunday 13 April
    35 mins recovery with super slow sister! It's a family trait:D Anyways, no harm to do these recovery runs as slowly as humanly possible whilst still moving:D ... just about... I'm trying to encourage her to take it back up again. She did C25k with me but never caught the bug sadly! I'll work on her!

41 miles total for the week. Not a bad week back after sickness last week. Will throw back in a few doubles next week. Hope to gradually increase to a 55-60 mile week by mid-summer.

Monday 14 April
    3x (6x50secs) 5 mins recovery between sets. 8 mins at 95%

2 poor nights of sleep last few nights and half a sleeping tablet at 5.30 in the morning and I felt rotten getting up at 8. Felt sluggish all day. I'm a creature of routine and it's all gone haywire last few days as people staying over. Got rid of them this morning so all back to normal now:)
    Felt very lazy doing this workout and not as sharp as I should have been. Still, I enjoyed it once I got into it.
    2 miles warmup around 11 min/mile. Did my drills in a field - flat-foot marches, skipping, foot shuffles and butt-kicks. Found a sally-switch to mark out my 50 second reps (brought back lovely memories from the past:rolleyes: )
    Reps varied from 7:16 to 7:45min/mile but I felt I never fully got into it properly if that makes sense. I felt I needed a good kick up the arse or a good shake or something:) a bit dopey maybe still from the sleeping tab this morning. Felt grand after the 3 sets and did my 8 mins at 95% effort. A bit slower than last week at 7:46 but again, I just felt a bit lazy and that I could have worked a bit harder but my head just said no!
    9 miles total for the night.
    Now for some dinner!

Tuesday 15 April
    am: 35 mins recovery
    Fabulous day. Doesn't get much better. Great night's sleep. Worked from home and didn't have too much to do, nice lie in this morning, sunny morning, blue sky, slight gentle breeze and perfect temperature for running. Went very easy though but legs feel super after last night's session.
    Foam roll and AIS before.

pm: 45 mins easy
    Was running along when I remembered I forgot to do my AIS:eek: First run in months where I forgot to do it. I guess my legs were well stretched out from earlier so no big deal. Stayed easy again this evening as harder and longer workout tomorrow. Ambled along nice and easy:)

7+ miles total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

How do you find your legs now compared to before you did the AIS? Any chance you have the link handy?

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    How do you find your legs now compared to before you did the AIS? Any chance you have the link handy?

I started it mainly for a glute problem I had but yes it's definitely been fantastic for my legs in general too. Main areas it's helped me has been with the glutes and hamstrings. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Link to videos in this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89172895&postcount=336

Wednesday 16 April
    65 min progression run

Working from home again today so lovely long sleep and lie in this morning. Hard work trying to find a tee-shirt for my run as everything was in the dirty clothes basket (housework standards have slipped in the Ososlo abode of late!) except for a horrible bright red Wexford Half Marathon 'Petit's' shirt which I've managed to avoid having to wear so far. No choice so donned this dreadful piece of kit and tried to forget about it! (it actually turned out to be extremely comfortable to wear so I might need to overlook my distaste for it!)
    Foam roll and AIS and off to the Phoneix Park for this. Haven't been there in ages so nice to be back.
    Lovely sunny day but there was a very stiff breeze so hard to gauge effort, especially as the run got windier as it progressed so by the last 2 miles I was working a lot harder than pace suggests I did.
    11:25
    10:51
    10:16
    9:48
    9:20
    8:46
    8:11 (last 5 mins)
    I really felt like I was going way faster towards the end of this so surprised to see the paces afterwards but as I said it was directly into the wind so effort was put into it so not going to worry about it.
    1.5 miles cool down. I did feel a tiny bit nauseous at the end of this so not sure what that's about. It was very warm but I had hydrated very well and eaten a good amount before it. Maybe I'm just not used to the bit of heat!
    8 miles total
    Might have to take Sunday and possibly Saturday off running:eek: (family stuff that I'd rather not be involved in but whatever... :rolleyes: ) so longer run Friday if feeling good.
    As an aside, I really feel that AIS is keeping any injury at bay for this 5k training phase. I think I'd be in pieces without it. I'm basically doing 3 harder workouts a week, intervals, progression and 10kish pace stuff in the lsr. I don't think I'd be able to maintain this kind of workload without it. It's the business:cool: Legs/glutes etc have never felt better and stronger. I'd advise anyone to give it a go if they have any niggles. I know I'm always harping on about it.. sorry:o

As an aside, I really feel that AIS is keeping any injury at bay for this 5k training phase. I think I'd be in pieces without it. I'm basically doing 3 harder workouts a week, intervals, progression and 10kish pace stuff in the lsr. I don't think I'd be able to maintain this kind of workload without it. It's the business:cool: Legs/glutes etc have never felt better and stronger. I'd advise anyone to give it a go if they have any niggles. I know I'm always harping on about it.. sorry:o

I'd second that......niggles or no niggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I started it mainly for a glute problem I had but yes it's definitely been fantastic for my legs in general too. Main areas it's helped me has been with the glutes and hamstrings. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Link to videos in this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89172895&postcount=336

Definitely going to try this out as soon as my legs start feeling normal again:)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Definitely going to try this out as soon as my legs start feeling normal again:)

Good man. You won't regret it. All it takes is a good length of rope and a bit of patience!

Friday 18 April
    10 miles inc 2x (20 mins @ 10k effort) off 2 mins recovery

Yesterday was a strange day. I woke up feeling fine but as the day went on I had the odd dizzy spell and felt a tiny bit weak for a few mins here and there throughout the day. Felt grand for most of it though but when I got home I just lay on the bed for 5 mins to chill but woke up an hour later! Felt ok but decided to be sensible and listen to the bod and not run. Think I might need to get the bloods checked but generally feel very strong and healthy these days so could be just one of those things that's not due to any particular reason... Treated myself with kid gloves and ate really well and hydrated really well for the evening. Went to bed at 10 and slept till 9 this morning:eek:
    Woke up feeling good so on to planned session.
    Did the first 3 miles on the trails in the Phoenix Park as it was lovely and cool and sheltered.
    First 20 mins at 10k pace worked out at about 8:30 pace and felt quite comfortable. I'd say I could have run about 8:10 pace if I had been chasing a time with the watch. Didn't want to push myself too much today in case yesterday's weakness came back. Took the 2 mins recovery at a very gentle pace but it was enough to recover fully.
    Second 20 min section was a bit slower at about 8:40 pace so somewhere around where my current 10k pace is but again, I wasn't killing myself like I would be in a race and kept it the comfortable zone. No ill effects afterwards and felt grand this evening.
    10 miles total
    A bit of travelling the next few days and family over from the States tomorrow and stuff organised which will leave little time for running so don't know what I'll fit in. One thing's for sure, I'll have emergency running gear packed in the car;), but if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement

Friday 18 April
    10 miles inc 2x (20 mins @ 10k effort) off 2 mins recovery

Yesterday was a strange day. I woke up feeling fine but as the day went on I had the odd dizzy spell and felt a tiny bit weak for a few mins here and there throughout the day. Felt grand for most of it though but when I got home I just lay on the bed for 5 mins to chill but woke up an hour later! Felt ok but decided to be sensible and listen to the bod and not run. Think I might need to get the bloods checked but generally feel very strong and healthy these days so could be just one of those things that's not due to any particular reason... Treated myself with kid gloves and ate really well and hydrated really well for the evening. Went to bed at 10 and slept till 9 this morning:eek:
    Woke up feeling good so on to planned session.
    Did the first 3 miles on the trails in the Phoenix Park as it was lovely and cool and sheltered.
    First 20 mins at 10k pace worked out at about 8:30 pace and felt quite comfortable. I'd say I could have run about 8:10 pace if I had been chasing a time with the watch. Didn't want to push myself too much today in case yesterday's weakness came back. Took the 2 mins recovery at a very gentle pace but it was enough to recover fully.
    Second 20 min section was a bit slower at about 8:40 pace so somewhere around where my current 10k pace is but again, I wasn't killing myself like I would be in a race and kept it the comfortable zone. No ill effects afterwards and felt grand this evening.
    10 miles total
    A bit of travelling the next few days and family over from the States tomorrow and stuff organised which will leave little time for running so don't know what I'll fit in. One thing's for sure, I'll have emergency running gear packed in the car;), but if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world.

O,

You weren't kissing Stazza yesterday by any chance were you?

TbL

O,

You weren't kissing Stazza yesterday by any chance were you?

TbL

:eek: eh no... unless it was in my dreams:D

:eek: eh no... unless it was in my dreams:D

Couldn't have been in your dreams as you said you woke up feeling fine, dreams involving kissing that auld buzzard would surely constitute a nightmare :)

TbL

Saturday 19th Sunday 20th April.
    No running. General over-indulgence in eating, drinking and merriment and a little drunken star-gazing:)
    Felt like such a waster having not run for 2 whole days.

Monday 21 April
    Back to business:cool:
    5 miles easy. Legs felt great after the little rest and felt very bouncy in general. Enjoyable.

Tuesday 22 April
    am
    20 x 1 min at 5k effort. 1 min jog recoveries.
    AIS and off to St. Anne's. Nice and chilly starting off. Roasting after a while. 3 miles warmup around Duanington's Rose Garden track and tipped my cap to Sexy Rexy, Lovely Lady and Ingrid Bergman (types of roses;), I'm learning a lot about flora and fauna on my recent Rose Garden track runs!)
    Drills on football pitches. Skipping, butt-kicks, flat-foot marches and foot shuffles.
    20 x 1 min - enjoyed these. So much so that I did an extra one by accident:)
    Tried to keep it like 'work' but relaxed and not too fast as my recent intervals have all been 3k effort so a bit slower but hard to judge correct effort.
    Paces checked afterwards: 7:39, 7:44, 7:42, 7:52, 7:44, 7:43, 7:49, 7:47, 7:29, 7:40, 7:42, 7:53, 7:52, 7:53, 7:33, 7:45, 7:47, 7:31, 7:38, 7:42, 7:22. I remember before being told to do the last few like I was at the end of my 5k race and to run the effort accordingly. Now, I'm not sure if that means that I should imagine I'm totally f'cked and go slower or speed up like I would if I were racing so I did the latter and it felt good. A few cool down miles back on the garden track and surrounds brought me back to the car.
    9.40 miles total

pm
    35 mins easy
    AIS. Nice to pop out again to stretch the legs.
    Park deserted as it was raining. The way I like it:) Until then:mad::mad:
    Was trotting along nice and easy and then a group of club runners come towards me, female, 5 abreast. Very narrow path so what you would expect is that the one nearest me would hang back behind her group or go ahead of them to let me pass. Nowhere really for me to go except muddy puddles. I made a quick decision not to move into the mud as why should I really. The biatch nearest me made no signal that she was gonna move out of my way. Thankfully I had the quick foresight to put my elbow out wide and whacked her in the arm:D hurting myself too in the process but totally worth it. How bloody rude. This is not the first time this has happened me with Clonliffe Harriers. How anyone can be so bloody rude is totally beyond my comprehension. Blood was boiling and I was doing sub 9 min/miles which is NOT GOOD for a recovery run. Heart rate would have been at heart-attack levels too:D Yet another reason not to join my local friendly running club:rolleyes:
    3 miles recovery.
    Legs feel great!
    12.4 miles daily total

Saturday 19th Sunday 20th April.
    No running. General over-indulgence in eating, drinking and merriment and a little drunken star-gazing:)
    Felt like such a waster having not run for 2 whole days.

Monday 21 April
    Back to business:cool:
    5 miles easy. Legs felt great after the little rest and felt very bouncy in general. Enjoyable.

Tuesday 22 April
    am
    20 x 1 min at 5k effort. 1 min jog recoveries.
    AIS and off to St. Anne's. Nice and chilly starting off. Roasting after a while. 3 miles warmup around Duanington's Rose Garden track and tipped my cap to Sexy Rexy, Lovely Lady and Ingrid Bergman (types of roses;), I'm learning a lot about flora and fauna on my recent Rose Garden track runs!)
    Drills on football pitches. Skipping, butt-kicks, flat-foot marches and foot shuffles.
    20 x 1 min - enjoyed these. So much so that I did an extra one by accident:)
    Tried to keep it like 'work' but relaxed and not too fast as my recent intervals have all been 3k effort so a bit slower but hard to judge correct effort.
    Paces checked afterwards: 7:39, 7:44, 7:42, 7:52, 7:44, 7:43, 7:49, 7:47, 7:29, 7:40, 7:42, 7:53, 7:52, 7:53, 7:33, 7:45, 7:47, 7:31, 7:38, 7:42, 7:22. I remember before being told to do the last few like I was at the end of my 5k race and to run the effort accordingly. Now, I'm not sure if that means that I should imagine I'm totally f'cked and go slower or speed up like I would if I were racing so I did the latter and it felt good. A few cool down miles back on the garden track and surrounds brought me back to the car.
    9.40 miles total

pm
    35 mins easy
    AIS. Nice to pop out again to stretch the legs.
    Park deserted as it was raining. The way I like it:) Until then:mad::mad:
    Was trotting along nice and easy and then a group of club runners come towards me, female, 5 abreast. Very narrow path so what you would expect is that the one nearest me would hang back behind her group or go ahead of them to let me pass. Nowhere really for me to go except muddy puddles. I made a quick decision not to move into the mud as why should I really. The biatch nearest me made no signal that she was gonna move out of my way. Thankfully I had the quick foresight to put my elbow out wide and whacked her in the arm:D hurting myself too in the process but totally worth it. How bloody rude. This is not the first time this has happened me with Clonliffe Harriers. How anyone can be so bloody rude is totally beyond my comprehension. Blood was boiling and I was doing sub 9 min/miles which is NOT GOOD for a recovery run. Heart rate would have been at heart-attack rates too:D Yet another reason not to join my local friendly running club:rolleyes:
    3 miles recovery.
    Legs feel great!
    12.4 miles daily total
    Over 12 miles miles and a scrap as well, you have been busy:P The 2 days off did you no harm!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement