Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Jaysus, where are you living? Beirut?

Beirut is just a big playschool compared to the road at the back of Carlow IT :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Ososlo wrote: »
    Saturday 3 May
    35 mins recovery

AIS x 20 mins
    Only 2 hours sleep and 5 hours accompanying my mum on a shopping spree (very hard work as I really hate shopping:( ) so decided to knock the second run on the head and just did 35 mins at recovery effort today.

Sunday 4 May
    10 miles including 5 x (5mins @ 5mile pace, 1 min jog, 1 min @ 1mile pace) 3 min jog recoveries between sets
    AIS, foam roll x 20 mins
    Had to bring notes for this one! Very very pleased with this. I feel on fire over the last few days during my sessions and it's showing in my paces. I wore my st5s again and think they're giving me a psychological boost. Really bad night's sleep again last night (it's been great in general lately so hope this is not a bad patch arising again) but felt better than ever on my run so it didn't effect me one bit.
    W/U x 3 miles and drills. (warm up miles faster lately by putting in same very low effort 10min/miles as opposed to 11)
    5 sets:
    first set - 5 mins @5mile - 8:16
    1min @ 1 mile - 7:13
    2nd. 5mins @5mile - 8:12
    1min @ 1 mile - 7:22
    3rd. 5 mins @ 5mile - 8:02
    1min @ 1mile - 7:25
    4th. 5mins @ 5mile - 8:19
    1min @ 1mile - 7:40 (felt very tired after this and walked 10 secs of rec jog)
    5th. 5mins @ 5mile - 8:03
    1min @ 1 mile - 7:27 (felt really good at end of 5th set and could have done another set. Actually would have really liked to do another set as I was enjoying it so much:D)
    Current 5mile bp is 8:28 pace - 42:22 so I'd be quietly confident (if that's possible on an internet public forum!) that I could run about 40.xx for 5 miles in a race setting. Well I felt I could do that today. Tomorrow might be different:)
    My min at mile paces seem to be quite slow compared to what I feel they should be if I were to race a mile but I was putting in a good effort and felt I was really travelling.

I arrived home from my run and my super duper bf had gone to Amphibian King to pick me up a new pair of training shoes as I never get a chance to get there myself. Fecker gave away my boards persona to the guy there who said "oh I know of Ososlo" :eek::o:o:o.... Now that's embarrassing!!!! I don't like anyone in real life to know who I am here... Except when the two worlds collide at boards beers once a year but sure no one remembers anything that happens then anyways:D
    I've forgiven him (just about) as the new model of Mizunos I got are super!

Currently trying to not put on my new trainers and go out for a 'test' run... Feeling tired from lack of sleep so probably the sensible thing to do. But the night is young;) but I'm going to really try not to. Have loads of work to do tonight anyways and work tomorrow...
    Weekly total: 46 miles

I served him in Ashtown :P
    He was looking for two pairs but told him to get you to try out the new model as you are changing from Alchemy to Paradox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I served him in Ashtown :P
    He was looking for two pairs but told him to get you to try out the new model as you are changing from Alchemy to Paradox.

hi there thirstywork:) Do you keep Boards names on file:confused::o
    Love the new shoes!
    While you're here, can I pick your brains about something? I'm in the process of getting rid of about 4 pairs of old mizunos as they've just 'had it'.
    So I want to rotate 3 pairs from now on. At the moment I'm rotating the new ones I just got and a pair of Brooks st5s that I got from your good selves about a year ago. There'd probably be about 200 miles on these but they still seem fine. I asked himself to get 2 pairs of mizunos for me yesterday as you know. However, I'm now wondering that for my 3rd pair, should I get another pair of Brooks? I'm doing 3 x sessions a week and lots of recovery running between those runs. I started wearing the Brooks for my sessions and am getting on great with them (only really wore them for races before this). As I'm doing a lot of 'faster' stuff now, would it make more sense to have another pair of lighter shoes? And just one pair of heavier support shoes?
    In your opinion (if you have one:)), what would be the best 3rd pair to throw into the mix?
    Thanks!

Monday 5 May
    AIS & 5 miles easy

Tried the new Mizunos and they're great Really comfy and no issues.
    Felt super today. Really fresh and was raring to go so a challenge to pull the pace back. 10min/miles was my easy pace today and felt like a breeze!
    Got hit on the Head by Fine Gael's Bill Tormey going down Santry Avenue. Bloody election posters... why do they have to be so darn big??? bloody politicians...:mad:

Tuesday 6 May
    7 x 3min @5k off 2 min rec

AIS and drove to St. Anne's (20 min drive). I get such a positive vibe running there these days that I decided to go again as I always seem in a good frame of mind running there so it's a good place for my sessions. Got there and realised I left nearly everything I need for a run at home:( Garmin, music, headphones. Didn't have any kind of a watch with me so pointless trying to do my session. Drove home... Got the stuff and went to Phoenix Park as it's only 10 mins away so next best option. 3 miles warm up and then some drills. I'm really surprised to see the pace of my warm up easy miles getting faster for the same effort.
    Session was grand. Most reps in 7:50s and a couple in 7:40s. Felt comfortably hard.
    Enjoyed it from start to finish and could have done another few reps no hassle. I felt very co-ordinated today if that makes sense. And I don't mean my running outfit:pac: although come to think of it that was very well co-ordinated also with 2 lovely shades of purple:D I feel my form is improving all the time and that I'm generally stronger when I'm running.
    8.4 miles total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

hi there thirstywork:) Do you keep Boards names on file:confused::o
    Love the new shoes!
    While you're here, can I pick your brains about something? I'm in the process of getting rid of about 4 pairs of old mizunos as they've just 'had it'.
    So I want to rotate 3 pairs from now on. At the moment I'm rotating the new ones I just got and a pair of Brooks st5s that I got from your good selves about a year ago. There'd probably be about 200 miles on these but they still seem fine. I asked himself to get 2 pairs of mizunos for me yesterday as you know. However, I'm now wondering that for my 3rd pair, should I get another pair of Brooks? I'm doing 3 x sessions a week and lots of recovery running between those runs. I started wearing the Brooks for my sessions and am getting on great with them (only really wore them for races before this). As I'm doing a lot of 'faster' stuff now, would it make more sense to have another pair of lighter shoes? And just one pair of heavier support shoes?
    In your opinion (if you have one:)), what would be the best 3rd pair to throw into the mix?
    Thanks!

You didn't ask me but I'd suggest to try out a pair of Hitogami's - they are the replacement for the old Ronins. My OH runs her sessions/shorter distance races in the Ronins and swears by them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Agree with Donnacha that Hitogamis might be a good choice.Do you really need a second pair of flats/performance trainers?
    If doing two sessions per week and racing once a month then maybe you could warrant getting another pair but id suggest a hybrid type shoe that is light enough for tempo runs and you could get a nice bit of mileage out of.You need stability right?You could go with Brooks Ravennna,Asics ds trainer,Saucony guide ect.

Racing options the ST5,Hitogami,Ds racer,Saucony fastwitch ect.

Agree with Donnacha that Hitogamis might be a good choice.Do you really need a second pair of flats/performance trainers?
    If doing two sessions per week and racing once a month then maybe you could warrant getting another pair but id suggest a hybrid type shoe that is light enough for tempo runs and you could get a nice bit of mileage out of.You need stability right?You could go with Brooks Ravennna,Asics ds trainer,Saucony guide ect.

Racing options the ST5,Hitogami,Ds racer,Saucony fastwitch ect.

Thanks for that. I think I need to pop in for a chat and try some on. I'd definitely like another pair that are not as heavy as the mizunos as I'm doing 3 x harder workouts a week and find the brooks great for these sessions. The Hitogamis sound good so might be an option. See you soon!

Wednesday 7 May
    35 mins easy.

Was going to go a bit longer but I felt absolutely shattered. I think it's from eating, drinking and sleeping (I wish:rolleyes: ) marathon training for the last few days and I'm not even doing one! I have more runners on my books than Stazza:eek:
    Felt a little clicking at the back of my left knee during this. No pain, no ache, just a little clicking feeling. Foam rolled the calf when I got home. feels like something slightly out of synch.
    Might have caught a little glimpse of The Running Adonis tonight through the trees;)

Thursday 8 May
    65 min progression run

Sleep gone to pot:mad: Won't go into the boring details but it involves lots of reading of novels at 3, 4, 5am:(
    Got to park t'was very windy indeed. Hard to do a progression run and gauge effort so splits were a bit all over the place but started at 10:56 and ended at 8:27 so felt I put in the correct effort levels even if splits don't agree.
    Felt the little clicking sensation again behind the knee. It didn't hurt at all but was a little disconcerting so I was loathe to really push it tonight. Feels perfect now. I'll keep an eye on it. Foam rolled top of calf behind the knee loads and tfl just in case it's something to do with IT band or summit. Who knows! I vaguely remember having something similar before and it just went away in a day or two.
    8+ miles total
    Easy running until Sunday when I have a fun workout to look forward to:D
    dread I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Must be hard to get time to run with all the mentoring!!

Finnt wrote: »
    Must be hard to get time to run with all the mentoring!!
    I'll find the time don't worry;) One thing that won't suffer is my running. My jobs and relationships maybe, but not my running:D
    Selfish runner I am...

• Advertisement

Friday 9th May
    35 mins easy.
    Little bit of clickey-click on the back of the knee still but much improved. Quality foam roll and AIS session am and pm. I'm a little more achey in general than I have been in months and I think it's down to wearing the Brooks ST5s for all my faster sessions lately which would work out at a large percentage of my weekly mileage so I feel I'm wearing them too much. But they give me a major psychological boost so I'm in a quandary. I have to stop wearing them so much and stick to the support of the mizunos more unfortunately. They were recommended to me for a reason...

Saturday 10 May
    35 mins very very easy!

Met up with 2 of my sisters of varying abilities but all in the category of very slow! Lazy biatches have been neglecting their running lately and not sticking to the 5k plans I presented each of them with a few weeks ago. So the three long blondes headed to the phoenix park and we must've looked kinda funny shuffling along at 13min/miles:D. The pace suited me perfectly actually as I didn't want to put any stress on my legs today ahead of tomorrow. Younger sister found it very tough. After a mile she had to slow down to 14 min/miles and ended up walking after 30 mins but fair play to her for plugging away at it and getting to her 30min target. Older sister was a good bit better and I encouraged her to go on ahead of us and do a few faster bursts after 30 mins and she was flying it so delighted for her. There's a lot of potential there! I've a lot of work to do though... But I SHALL SUCCEED:D

Sunday 11 May
    1 mile (actually .94 of a mile!) Time Trial

This was suggested to me during the week. Initially I though Woo Hoo I can't wait and accepted the challenge with my usual enthusiasm. That was until I was told in no uncertain terms, that this was not something to be enjoyed. This was to be painful and I should be on my knees by the end of it.
    I started to get worried :o
    Headed to park and measured out my stretch which fell a short of a mile. To make up the mile I would have had to turn a sharp corner towards the end and face into a very strong wind (ran the course beforehand) so decided to cheat a little bit and run .94-95 of a mile instead. I can do this TT another time when I find a proper stretch of a mile without paths to cross/turns etc. It was lashing rain and really windy and I didn't want to expend any unnecessary energy trying to find an alternative route. As I said, I'll do it another day properly.
    This was like a practice TT!
    Did 3 mile w/u including drills and 6 x 100m strides towards end. I was feeling very very nervous but fairly confident. I had slept great last 2 nights, had no work stress, and rhr really low this morning so knew it was a good time to do this it but winds very strong and came at me from the side for some of the run but not too bad overall.
    I was told to check the watch every quarter of a mile to make sure I wasn't slacking. I checked it after the first quarter and when I saw 6:40 on the watch I nearly collapsed with excitement. And it didn't even feel that bad. I had to check it a few times in case the 6 was really an 8 and I was seeing things! I've felt much much worse running at 8min/mile for a one minute rep in the past! There was a dude behind me and I could hear his heavy breathing trying to keep up with me. I lost him and left him for dust:P

Half-way through, checked the watch again and it was still in 6:40s! I couldn't believe it, but it was starting to hurt and I panicked. I lost it a bit then and pace was creeping up towards 7 at the third quarter but I got it back well down below 7. My breathing was very very heavy but very even and controlled and I wasn't phlegmy:o like I usually am when I run faster. It was really hurting in the last quarter and I really had to fight to sustain. I know it was a bit short of a mile but I definitely could have sustained it for the extra bit to make up the mile today if the path had gone on a bit longer. I really really wanted this today and was prepared to do whatever it took. I had my mind set on sub-7 but if truth be told, I felt realistically, I'd be looking more at sub 7:20. I was in a great positive frame of mind today though and positivity and confidence counts for SO much for Ososlo when it comes to this game.
    Result: 6:59 pace for .94 of a mile

I know I cheated a bit with the distance today but hey, I never in a million years thought I could run 6:40 pace for half a mile and that's what I'm most proud of today. I've never even done a stride with a 6 on the clock before! Well maybe one but that would have been for about a minute. Today I ran half a mile at 6:40 pace!!!!!!!
    When I finished I was literally on my knees and my chest felt awful. It felt sore for about half an hour afterwards but is grand now. Today I felt The Pain and that's a good thing. Afterwards, I felt like I ran a race so I know I put the effort in and didn't go easy on myself. Pity I didn't go out a bit slower and get faster as it progressed rather than the reverse and pity it wasn't a full mile BUT I almost feel like a runner now:D and finally feel I'm getting the results I deserve from all the effort I put in.
    ps - yes Stazza I was cursing you during this you sh**fu**di**wad**ther*fuc***:D
    6 miles total
    pm - 35 mins easy
    Weekly total: 39 (very low but intentionally so with the Time Trial looming)
    Can't wait for the next phase of my training:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Delighted for you. There'll be more of them, very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Based on your mile improvements, any predictions for the beermile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great to see the hard work paying off Ososlo, well done - you're really starting to pick it up now. Steady as she goes!

Duanington wrote: »
    Great to see the hard work paying off Ososlo, well done - you're really starting to pick it up now. Steady as she goes!

Thanks. I'm finally starting to think that I've turned a bit of a corner and things might be possible for me that I never though possible before. I'm SO happy I'm continuing working on my speed for the year and not marathon training like I was 100% sure I'd be doing at the start of the year. Funny how someone else one can change one's mind about stuff:D

Monday 12 May
    No running, no AIS, no rolling, no nuthin! nada! Awake all bloody night Sunday night only getting to sleep at 6;30am and had to get up at 7.45:eek: so was shatteringly shattered after a long day at work and was banging into stuff all day I was so tired. I was a liability so thought a run wouldn't do anything positive in the world for me or anyone else so left it be.
    Legs feet great though from TT. Better than ever! That knee clicking has completely gone.

Tuesday 13 May
    8 x 400 at 1mile off 90 sec (measured out .25 of a mile)
    30 mins foam roll and AIS.
    2.5 mile w/up and set of drills with strides

First time doing these types of reps. Well bloody hell it was hard. Remember those curse words Stazza that you couldn't figure out what they meant? Well I have a whole new bunch for you but I'd get thrown off the forum if I posted them so I'll leave them to your imagination;) But f**k sake, this was bloody hard.

Thoughts going through my head during this session:
    I am going back to marathon training - shag this speed work thing, I'm just not cut out for it. I'm meant to be a plodder forever...

Watch splits a mess as I was in so much agony I didn't know what I was doing so pressing buttons all over the place and hitting stop instead of lap etc etc but managed to decipher the data properly afterwards I think.
    6:57, 7, 6:53, 7:05, 7:05, 6:59 (had to take 2 mins rec), 7:15:eek:,7:02. (aim was to get them all well under 7:rolleyes: )
    1:44, 1:45, 1:42, 1:46, 1:46, 1:45, 1:47, 1:45 avg 1:46
    This felt way harder than running the mile TT Sunday. I think it's easier to keep going than to stop and start again and again or maybe I was just having a bad day today. I was shagged after each rep and had to walk ALL the recoveries bar the first two but had no problem to stay moving.
    It was getting very sunny and warm during this and maybe I hadn't eaten enough but I felt a bit lightheaded towards the end. Maybe that's normal. I do feel more wrecked than I did after any session I've done recently. I guess the exhaustion from lack of sleep the previous day might have effected me here so I won't be too negative about it but I would have hoped to get each rep well below 7 going on the TT, but if I compare this to similar sessions I did a few weeks back the times do show a vast improvement. I would have been happy to do these in the 7:30s/7:40s a few weeks back.
    I am improving but no point in being too optimistic and getting too far ahead of ourselves;). realitycheck.com
    Actually, thinking about it, maybe I was still tired from the TT and should have waited another day to do this. Oh well, too late now...
    7 miles total

800s on Sunday!!!! Like childbirth (what would I know but from what I've heard:D) I've forgotten the pain already and can't wait to tackle these on Sunday! But I'm going to prepare properly like I did for the TT. So no alcohol for a few days before and try to ensure I get good sleep etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I wouldn't be to down on yourself, lack of sleep & two speed sessions in space of few days is going to take it out of you regardless who you are. You stuck at them and finished them which is the thing that will stand to you most in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Haha - I need to be more careful and check for typos :D You actually did this session pretty much bang on the button. The idea should've been to do them at just under 7 pace - the same pace you did for the mile TT. My mistake :o

The idea was to do them at mile pace and you did - so you can be well pleased with yourself. I'll sort out the correct pace for the 800's for you and send them over.

I told you it was a nice session :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You did well, those sessions are tough, especially at that pace. I also have similar thoughts when doing speed work... Im not cut out for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I did that 400m session recently, some session I was dead after it!

• Advertisement

cheers. It actually makes sense now and I feel grand about my splits today. Someone;) made a typo when they gave me the paces I should be running which were way beyond my capabilities so I felt very disillusioned that I couldn't get anywhere near that. But clearly it was because I'm not able to run that pace. YET!
    So in hindsight I did okish today despite the tiredness etc and I'm sure I can hit just under 7 for each rep the next time if I start out a tad slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !:)

307205.jpg

Wednesday 14 May
    35 mins easy
    . Felt super today with great bounce in my head, heart and legs.

Thursday 15 May
    Lovely little easy run on the banks of the Lagan in Belfast City. No sleep (well maybe an hour:rolleyes:) in hotel room previous night so was like the walking dead this morning and even though it was my birthday and I was being treated like a queen, I was in foul humour. Wanted to just stay in bed for the day but forced myself up and out and this run made me fee 100 times better. And my running presents of course:p Passed 5 runners on this run and not one returned my hellos! Narky crowd of runners:rolleyes:

Friday 16 May
    65 min progression run

Back on home turf.
    Really delighted with this. Despite the previous night's rhubarb prossecco cocktails (yes rhubarb!) and a 5 hour drive and very little in the way of good hydration in the previous 48 hours, I felt superb and raring to go. Headed to Phoenix Park and worked my way through the gears:
    10:25
    9:46
    9:30
    9:18
    8:45
    8:07
    8:15 (slightly uphill and into breeze but believe me I was working harder than on previous mile!)
    7:43 pace (last bit)
    I think there's a small 5k pb in there if I was clever enough to work it out:D which if true is fantastic as I wasn't really working all that hard until the end and certainly not putting in 5k effort until the very end.
    Very enjoyable run, but these 'enjoyable' runs will be few and far between in the next few weeks and this progression run will be cruelly wrenched away from me and replaced with some session involving 000xs by some horrible number of repeats at some horrible pace:(
    Ah I love it really though;)
    8.7 miles total

Saturday 17 May
    No running! For the first time ever I felt a slight throbbing on the side of my right ankle. Don't know what it was or why it was there. Maybe it's from wearing the st5s too much but I find it very hard to stop wearing them for sessions. I fear I'll be slower...
    Erred on side of caution being the sensible runner I am;) and decided to rest it and iced it a little last night.
    Did a long foam roll and AIS session.

Sunday 18 May
    5x 800s @ 3k pace off 2min jog rec
    10 hours sleep! Had a weird dream/nightmare with a boardsie in it who had a gun and was after me:eek: Not saying who in case they worry about why Ososlo is dreaming about them;) but ftr it wasn't Stazza:D
    I think I'm spending too much time on boards:o
    So a great sleep and a nice low rhr this morning and not a peep from the ankle so all systems go. Did this in a small section of my local park which wasn't ideal and I fear might have cost me a few seconds on each rep. I had to turn an acute corner 3 times for each rep so I felt I lost a bit of momentum. But I don't want to make excuses as I didn't hit the times I should have so maybe I'm just not where I should be at this stage:(
    3:40 (time) (7:20 pace)
    3:42 (7:22)
    3:47 (7:35):eek::eek::eek:Totally lost it:o
    3:43 average

I found at the first half of each rep (checked the watch half way though) I was well ahead of target 7:20 pace, (about 7:10 or so) but I slowed a lot on the second half of the rep so whether it's panicking when I'm checking the watch that I can't keep it up, or just starting out too fast, I'm not too sure. Maybe it's a pacing thing. I felt really good for the first half of each one but died a death near the end. I lost all concentration and focus on the last one obviously. There's no excuse in the world for that and I don't know what to say:o:o:o
    7 miles total
    30 miles total for the week (very low due to intentionally scaling back to be fresh for sessions and due to the trip away during week)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

10 hours sleep! Had a weird dream/nightmare with a boardsie in it who had a gun and was after me:eek: Not saying who in case they worry about why Ososlo is dreaming about them;) but ftr it wasn't Stazza:D

Yay for 10 hours sleep !
    Booooo for not spilling the beans. :D

Dream about a Boardsie with a throbbing gun, is this Mills & Boon or did i read that wrong??!! Who was he/she, dish the dirt now???

tang1 wrote: »
    Dream about a Boardsie with a throbbing gun, is this Mills & Boon or did i read that wrong??!! Who was he/she, dish the dirt now???
    what percentage are those beers or are you just a lightweight? The gun wasn't throbbing, my ankle was;) Pay attention:D

what percentage are those beers or are you just a lightweight? The gun wasn't throbbing, my ankle was;) Pay attention:D

There 10% and i'm drinking two at a time !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

So I post a picture of myself dressed like an oil delivery guy on top of carrauntohill and later that night you dream about me with a gun..... Jeez, imagine the dream you could have had if I posted a decent snap :D

• Advertisement

There 10% and i'm drinking two at a time !!!

Yes but you earned them:D

Monday 19 May
    35 mins easy

No sleep again last night. Terrible day in work. There's a pattern forming of Sundays being my worse nights of sleep during the week. Very unproductive day and making lots of mistakes in work which is definitely due to sleep deprivation and not good for me professionally.

I'm appreciating my recovery runs more and more as my sessions get tougher so sucked the very essence of enjoyment out of each and every step of this one.

Tuesday 20 May
    Plan was to do the 400s today. 2nd night with next to no sleep. One of the worst nights in a long time. Headed out to do my session. Full AIS, foam roll, drove to St. Anne's (20 mins), warm up, drills, first 400, couldn't get up to pace. 2nd was a ok but way too much of a struggle. I was weary:( Left it at that. Taking too much out of me. I'm so damn stupid sometimes. There's a lady over on the novices' thread dishing out great advice to runners about listening to their bodies etc. I must start listening to her:rolleyes:. No way was I up to a session today. It can wait. Damn insomnia...
    pm
    3.5 miles easy. Super slow and stayed very relaxed. Felt better for it.
    Had the day off so tried to nap during the day but nothing happening. My body and mind are saying no to sleep:(

A FLOCK of sheep that leisurely pass by
    One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
    Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
    Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky;
    I’ve thought of all by turns, and still I lie
    Sleepless; and soon the small birds’ melodies
    Must hear, first uttered from my orchard trees,
    And the first cuckoo’s melancholy cry.
    Even thus last night, and two nights more, I lay,
    And could not win thee, Sleep, by any stealth:
    So do not let me wear to-night away;
    Without thee what is all the morning’s wealth?
    :rolleyes:
    Come, blessèd barrier between day and day,
    Dear mother of fresh thoughts and joyous health!

7.5 miles total

Monday 19 May
    35 mins easy

No sleep again last night. Terrible day in work. There's a pattern forming of Sundays being my worse nights of sleep during the week. Very unproductive day and making lots of mistakes in work which is definitely due to sleep deprivation and not good for me professionally.

I'm appreciating my recovery runs more and more as my sessions get tougher so sucked the very essence of enjoyment out of each and every step of this one.

Tuesday 20 May
    Plan was to do the 400s today. 2nd night with next to no sleep. One of the worst nights in a long time. Headed out to do my session. Full AIS, foam roll, drove to St. Anne's (20 mins), warm up, drills, first 400, couldn't get up to pace. 2nd was a ok but way too much of a struggle. I was weary:( Left it at that. Taking too much out of me. I'm so damn stupid sometimes. There's a lady over on the novices' thread dishing out great advice to runners about listening to their bodies etc. I must start listening to her:rolleyes:. No way was I up to a session today. It can wait. Damn insomnia...
    pm
    3.5 miles easy. Super slow and stayed very relaxed. Felt better for it.
    Had the day off so tried to nap during the day but nothing happening. My body and mind are saying no to sleep:(

A FLOCK of sheep that leisurely pass by
    One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
    Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
    Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky;
    I’ve thought of all by turns, and still I lie
    Sleepless; and soon the small birds’ melodies
    Must hear, first uttered from my orchard trees,
    And the first cuckoo’s melancholy cry.
    Even thus last night, and two nights more, I lay,
    And could not win thee, Sleep, by any stealth:
    So do not let me wear to-night away;
    Without thee what is all the morning’s wealth?
    :rolleyes:
    Come, blessèd barrier between day and day,
    Dear mother of fresh thoughts and joyous health!

7.5 miles total

Your spending too much time with Stazza!

I know how you feel on the sleeping bit, not as bad as you, but max i get at night really is 3-4hrs. 14 yrs working shift work has me all over the place sleep wise.

I know how you feel on the sleeping bit, not as bad as you, but max i get at night really is 3-4hrs. 14 yrs working shift work has me all over the place sleep wise.

Yeah that must be tough alright. At least you know why yours is f***ed up.
    Mine is just a mess for whatever reason ...
    My earliest memories are about not being able to sleep and it's a recurring theme throughout my life.
    It improved in a big way when I started running but got messed up again.

Wednesday 21 May
    8 x 400 off 90 sec recoveries

Knew heading off that this wasn't going to be pretty and guess what? I was right. Only way to sleep last night was to knock myself out (not physically;)) but popped a few pills as couldn't handle another night of discontent... Very bleary blurry day.
    Wasn't sure if I should do the session due to being so wrecked and don't know if one benefits fully from doing a session if exhausted and not able to hit the paces. Felt a good bit better than yesterday with my few hours of 'pretend' sleep under my belt so decided to give it my best shot.

AIS and off to Phoneix Park. 3 mile w/u. Drills. Roasting hot!
    Disastrous from a pacing point of view once again. Even worse actually than last week. Went off way too fast and was around 6:30 pace when checking the watch half way through on the first few reps. And then of course I slowed more and more and more as the rep went on.
    I had done half of the first rep when I noticed that I had pressed 'stop' on the watch instead of 'lap':mad: so half a bloody rep done that I had to abandon and start over from the beginning:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    7:08 (1:47)
    6:56 (1:44)
    7:19 (1:47)
    7:09 (1:47)
    7:18 (1:48)
    7:11 (1:47)
    7:16 (1:48)
    6:55 (1:44)
    avg (146-147)

Can't say I'm not disheartened not to hit the paces and there are some dreadful reps in there that I'm very embarrassed posting when the aim was to get them all at 7 pace (and 1:45) and hopefully it is because I'm in the midst of a bad sleeping patch and not because I'm losing fitness... and getting slower... and hopefully it's only a momentary blip in proceedings. Anyways, it's done, I worked hard, didn't slack and got through it.
    I notice a distinct lack of smiley and grinning faces in my posts of late since the training got harder! Here are some, just in case I forget what they look like:):D:):):D:D: :)
    7.6 miles total

• Advertisement

GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK>> sorry for shouting but you cant function let alone run fast without sleep! I really don't know how you are managing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

First off, if you're not getting enough sleep you shouldn't do these sort of sessions. Even with enough sleep, these sessions are tough; they tax the body - hard. If you go into these workouts already shafted, you are risking injury. Jack the sessions and just do easy runs until the sleeping improves.

With that said, the 1:45 is a rough guide. And given that you're just starting to do these type of workouts, your times are decent. A lot of people on here would have similar discrepancies in their reps. And that's not taking into account the lack of sleep etc.

But here's the thing - right now your body is doubly shafted and it will take more time to recover. You must allow your body the opportunity to recover and adapt. If you don't, your immune system will cave and you'll end up sick/injured. It's imperative that you don't do workouts if you haven't had enough sleep - all you're doing is screwing yourself.

The idea of training is to slightly stress/overload the system then allow the body to recover and adapt so that it comes back stronger/fitter.

If you get away with this without getting a cold or bug or lurgy, be thankful, slaughter some wild beast as an offering to Zeus, and then make sure you're adequately rested before doing another session.

What would you say to one of DCM chaps/chapesses if they were to do something like this.

Consider this a reprimand :p

p.s. :D

yep I get it thanks. Sometimes it just takes someone else say the obvious. Problem is though, I don't think I slept more than 3 hours any night in January so let's hope this spell doesn't last! Otherwise it'll be be back to full time plodding again:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Do you remember any sort of trigger for your sleep improvement after January? Even check back through your log to see what lifestyle changes you made around then? You're pretty good to log that kind of stuff generally. Also - take it easy on the sessions as others have said. Running on empty is running the injury gauntlet.

Beef wrote: »
    Do you remember any sort of trigger for your sleep improvement after January? Even check back through your log to see what lifestyle changes you made around then? You're pretty good to log that kind of stuff generally. Also - take it easy on the sessions as others have said. Running on empty is running the injury gauntlet.

I have another personal log where I keep note of all the lifestyle details etc, and nope, no significant changes in anything that made for improvements from Feb. It comes and goes in waves throughout my life for no apparent reason in the world. Maybe it's to do with the phases of the moon:)
    Thanks Beef. Just going to try and forget about it now for a while (easier said than done!) and be more sensible with the training like you and others have suggested.

• Advertisement

Thursday 22 May
    35 mins recovery.
    Felt grand during day and heading off but felt very heavy or something during the run so was happy it was a short slow one.
    10:39min/mile avg

Friday 23 May
    35 mins very very easy
    Today should have been 4 x 1600s but I didn't sleep well last night and didn't feel wonderful when running at all. Very lack lustre and tired.
    11:14min/mile avg

Thinking about insomnia and running lately. It's going to be tricky to figure this out. I didn't sleep a wink the night before DCM and very poorly on the lead up and I managed ok then. I think it's something I just need to work around and I can't put my running life on hold waiting for an amazing run of sleep before I do sessions so I'll just manage it as best I can and put off the sessions when it's really chronic but a good night for me can sometimes mean 4-5 hours sleep whereas for someone else it might be 7-8 - it's all relative. I will be more sensible about it in the future and back off when it's really dire. I got to work with what I have.

Saturday 24 May
    4 x 1 mile at 5k pace w/90 sec recoveries

Slept well last night and had a nice lie on this morning so not feeling too bad and felt very rested and refreshed. I have very little work stress to deal with these days so it's great not having that to deal with on top of the sleeping issues.
    4 x 1 mile: I have a big psychological issue with this session today. I was dreading it all week to be frank and nearly hoping I wouldn't sleep a wink last tonight so I'd have a good excuse not to do it:p I told the boss during the week that to me this session looked as hard as a 5k race. I remember doing 3 x 1 mile last year and found that really tough but 4:eek:!!!!!! I really didn't think I could anything decent with a session like this and there was no hiding today, I would be left exposed for the running fraud that I am:o
    I worked out a few deals with myself beforehand. I said to myself that I'd just try the first mile and if it was terrible I'd switch the run to a long slow 10 mile run. The first mile was hard but not too bad so I decided to push on through.

Target for the mile reps was 7:40-7:45
    9:55, 9:37 - Warmup. I usually do my warmups a lot slower (11min/mile) but thought I'd try a new strategy so that going from 11:xx - 7:xx wouldn't be such a shock.

1. 7:50 (windy)
    2. 7:47
    3. 7:53 (windy)
    4: 7:44
    Avg: 7:48

Yes I know that once again, I didn't hit target (7:40-45) but it was a lot windier than I had expected so I was working a lot harder into the windier reps 1&3. I felt a bit sick after the first rep but thankfully not for any of the others. I was working really really hard and I've never known 90 second recoveries to pass by so quickly. I kept moving for the 90 seconds but at an extremely slow pace - for the 3rd recovery especially. I was looking for excuses to call it a day throughout, except for the last rep which I was actually kind of enjoying in a sadistic kinda way:D.
    To take my mind off the pain in the middle of the session when it got really tough, I used a strategy that I've used before in a race and found good which is to start counting backwards from 30 to 0 over and over again in my head. Worked well for me today.
    Putting today into perspective, if you had told me a few months ago that I'd do 4 sub-8 min/miles in a training run I'd have laughed in your face so I am quite happy with today overall. If things continue to improve, I'll be looking at over a 2 minute improvement in my 5k time and that ain't nutin' to be sniffed at:p Yeah this 5k training is the bloody hardest thing I've ever done physically but I'm being challenged more than ever before and the boundaries in my head are a comin' down.
    Now I just need to work a bit harder the next time:rolleyes:
    9 miles total

Bravo on the session, your full of determination. Smart decision on calling the sessions on how your sleep pattern is, burning the candle at both ends is never a good idea and can lead to other issues.

Sunday 25 May

35 mins recovery

Lovely 2 mile walk on the beach. Would have been perfect for my recovery run but no sports bra on so no go! Did the 35 mins easy in local park later
    Legs feel surprisingly good from the 2 sessions during the week but I definitely do feel more tired than usual. I was whacked after yesterdays 4 x 1mile and thought I'd sleep like a very tired runner, but 4am came and I was still reading under the covers:( The 'blessed barrier between night and day' once again alluded me.
    Tomorrow has a rare treat in store for me. 10 untainted virginal miles with no funny stuff:D Well, a few strides but that sounds pretty damn good to me! (dependant on sleep tonight of course...)

38 miles weekly total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

4 x 1 mile at 5k pace w/90 sec recoveries

1. 7:50 (windy)
    2. 7:47
    3. 7:53 (windy)
    4: 7:44
    Avg: 7:48

.....I was working really really hard and I've never known 90 second recoveries to pass by so quickly. I kept moving for the 90 seconds but at an extremely slow pace - for the 3rd recovery especially. I was looking for excuses to call it a day throughout, except for the last rep which I was actually kind of enjoying in a sadistic kinda way:D.

Hi Ososlo, those are super splits for a really tough session. Only last week I did 3 x 1M (well 3 x 1600m) at 5K pace, but off a luxurious 3:30mins recovery. That corresponded to around 60% of interval time. I would have been suffering off 90 seconds recovery and would have baulked at a 4th interval. I think you should be more than 'quite happy' with that session.

outforarun wrote: »
    Hi Ososlo, those are super splits for a really tough session. Only last week I did 3 x 1M (well 3 x 1600m) at 5K pace, but off a luxurious 3:30mins recovery. That corresponded to around 60% of interval time. I would have been suffering off 90 seconds recovery and would have baulked at a 4th interval. I think you should be more than 'quite happy' with that session.

Cheers thanks a million! Wow I am very jealous of your recoveries:( but maybe it wouldn't have been any easier in the long run - putting off the inevitable! To be honest it was one of the hardest things I've ever done I think (maybe that means I've had a very easy life:D) and in hindsight, yes I am a bit more than 'quite happy' with the results. Cheers outforarun. And guess what? I get to do it all again very very soon... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

outforarun wrote: »

I second that!

90 seconds recovery for those reps is brilliant. I've never attempted a session like that with recoveries as short as that. I'm not sure I could do it.....It's amazing how very very VERY long a mile feels in these kind of sessions. 90 seconds before starting the next one is mentally and physically brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I second that!

90 seconds recovery for those reps is brilliant. I've never attempted a session like that with recoveries as short as that. I'm not sure I could do it.....It's amazing how very very VERY long a mile feels in these kind of sessions. 90 seconds before starting the next one is mentally and physically brilliant.

I agree! We were doing 200s last week (6 with 60 seconds break, then a longer break then 6 more, with 60 secs break). For the first few I was thinking, '60 secs is a long break, I could go again now', but by the second set of six I was like 'THAT WASN'T A MINUTE!' at the end of every break. You must have felt that, but much more so, at the end of your 90 secs! Well done! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Another in agreement here.
    I think I took 4 minute recoveries the last time I did one mile reps.
    That was probably too long, but 90 seconds is impressive (even more so because you managed to maintain the target pace!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The length of the interval determines the nature of the workout.

Obviously, with a longer interval, you should be able to run the rep faster, so it becomes a V02 max session

But with a shorter recovery, it could be stressing other elements, such as threshold, or it could be used as a prediction workout for a race - I think 4x1m off 90sec is used as a 10k predictor (double and add ~1 min).

So the pace of the rep and the length of the recovery change the nature of the workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I think 4x1m off 90sec is used as a 10k predictor (double and add ~1 min).

Oooh..now that could be my next session right there! ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement