Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Monday 26 May
    Plan: 10 miles easy with 6 x strides.

Was really looking forward to this one for ages as I love running a bit longer and slowly - it's my thing and I never get to do it anymore as all my longer runs are tainted with some sort of painful repetitions! However, I felt awful during this run. From the first step I took to the last, it was horrible and I've never said that about a slow run before - I usually love them. I did it before breakfast but that wouldn't usually cause me a problem. I ran 21 miles on empty last year and felt better than on this run. Slept ok the night before and was well hydrated etc. Still don't know what it was. Waited and waited to start feeling more normal but it never happened so called it a day at 7 and threw in the strides at the end anyway. I didn't feel any worse running a bit faster. Hot, sweaty and weak the whole way through. What a slog...
    Total: 7 miles easy (nothing easy about it but pace was slower than my recovery pace)

Tuesday 27 May
    35 mins easy

Thought I'd feel dreadful after previous day but I didn't. I felt fine. Did this with my sister but half way through we had to stop to talk to a neighbour (where I come from you'd be shunned for generations if you didn't stop to talk to a neighbour:rolleyes:) so while it was interrupted, it was enjoyable.
    2 x great sleeps in Kilkenny to set me up well for...

Wednesday 28 May
    8 x 400 at 3k pace
    90 sec recoveries
    Target - 1:45 @ 7 pace

1:47 (7:05)
    1:45 (7)
    1:47 (7:08)
    1:45 (7:03)
    1:40 (6:56)
    1:45 (7:03)

1:45 -avg

I know they are supposed to be even splits but I just couldn't do it. Dunno why. Yes I reached the overall target for the first time but for some of the reps I just couldn't get my legs to work harder so that's something I really need to work on but I don't know how to fix it as I just couldn't run any faster at those particular times:confused:
    Got a nice shout out from a topless leathery older running gentleman who shouted at me "go girl you can do it" which put a great pep in my step on the 6th rep! Maybe I was just afraid he was going to start running after me:D
    Happy to make the improvement on last week's 400s session overall but still need to start getting these more even. I think part of the problem is that I'm so unused to looking at the watch that I keep forgetting to check it now and let my paces slip. I need to focus more. Must work harder Ososlo... but I did feel like I was killing myself most of the time:(
    7 miles total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Your awful hard on yourself i think, you achieved the average goal time on your reps which what the session is about. Consistency with time on the reps will come to you the more you practise them.

tang1 wrote: »
    Your awful hard on yourself i think, you achieved the average goal time on your reps which what the session is about. Consistency with time on the reps will come to you the more you practise them.

I do strive for perfection:D
    Thanks though. I just hate not being able to deliver 100% on my sessions. Maybe next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wise words Tang, another thing with these reps is that the last one should not be the slowest one. So score 1 for Ososlo.

(remember when there were no 7:xx's appearing on your log?)

Wise words Tang, another thing with these reps is that the last one should not be the slowest one. So score 1 for Ososlo.

(remember when there were no 7:xx's appearing on your log?)
    ha ha yeah I remember it well AMK;) It's not so long ago...

However, there's always a little bit left in the tank though and that's what I need to route out the next time for these. I really think that a lot of this is mental and it's very important to gain experience of the pain as much as possible so you know you're not going to die from the pain. Otherwise there'd be ambulances all over the Phoenix Park every day scraping dead runners off the paths:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

+1 to Tang and AMKs comments.
    I'd also add that I find it really hard to judge these speed sessions right myself. I'm putting it down to the fact that I've never really done them regularly so I just need the practice. I'm sure you'll be providing advice on how to do them properly to the rest of us before the summer is out!;)

Thursday 29 May
    35 mins recovery

Really enjoyable. Even though sleep was really poor the previous night I didn't feel tired and wished it was the day of a longer run as I just felt like running and running and getting faster and faster. Briefly considered throwing caution to the wind and doing my 65 min progression run but knew it wouldn't be worth it for the grief that I'd get doing it the day after a session;) so I made my way home an unsatisfied Ososlo:(

After getting some advice from the good folks over on the health forum (I've discovered that there are other fora on boards.ie:eek:) I've made a few adjustments recently to my diet. I struggle with my protein intake being vegetarian and not a very adventurous one at that, so I started adding some extras into my diet and need to get some more good fats into me also so adding things like avocados and coconut milk/oil. Interesting to see if any major difference to my general health in a few weeks/months.

Friday 30 May
    Plan: 65 min progression run

Poor sleep and was a wreck this morning getting up. Only got into a deep sleep about 6.30am and had to get up at 7:30 so was cruelly wrenched away from a lovely dream:(
    Long day at work and drove to Phoenix Park afterwards. Couldn't get into the park as Bloom is on so had to find parking elsewhere. Made my way down to 15 acres and sub 10 min/miles were just feeling like too much work so called it a day after 4 miles. So for once I'm listening to my body and backing off and will do this tomorrow after a wonderful blissful night of sleep tonight:) It was a pain driving all the way there for a short little run that I could have done locally but I did make a discovery on the 15 acres and noticed that there are some 100m markers drawn on the path so that might be useful for some sessions. I noticed 100, 200, 300 and 400 markers. Didn't spot any more.
    So something positive came of my trip!
    Progression tomorrow and 800s on Monday (need to readjust things)
    4 miles total
    ps - beware of Phoenix Park parking restrictions over the weekend folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

On the diet topic I finally found a receipe for granola I'm happy with, lots of nuts, seeds so good for healthy fats and yummy. Give me a shout if you want receipe.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    On the diet topic I finally found a receipe for granola I'm happy with, lots of nuts, seeds so good for healthy fats and yummy. Give me a shout if you want receipe.

Will you just make it for me and post it to me? I'm not able to cook/bake whatever you'd do to granola:confused:
    Thanks though Sam. Sure pop it up sometime you have the time. You never know, I might get inspired:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Can I get the receipe? please

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Can I get the receipe? please

No.....only joking, here it is. Very straight forward once you have weighed all the ingredients.
    300g of whole rolled oats ( I used the lidi porridge oats as they have bigger flakes)
    60g whole un skinned almonds.
    60g brazil nuts
    60g pumpkin seeds
    60g sunflower seeds
    100g dried apricots , roughly chopped
    good quality raisins 70 g

Syrup
    120 ml maple syrup
    120 ml honey
    3 tablespoons of water
    4 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
    Pinch of salt.

Chop the nuts roughly and mix with the oats, and seeds.
    Heat the syrup ingredients till warm, and pour over dry ingredients, mix carefully till all combined.
    Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and spread out the mixture evenly
    Bake in oven at 150 d for 40 minute until golden colour, mix 3/4 times.
    Remove from oven and add in fruit when its still warm. As it cools it gets crunchy, storage in air tight box.

Play around with the ingredients to suit yourself any nuts, seeds and dried fruit are grand. Enjoy.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Will you just make it for me and post it to me? I'm not able to cook/bake whatever you'd do to granola:confused:
    Thanks though Sam. Sure pop it up sometime you have the time. You never know, I might get inspired:D

Its simple, a bit like making rice crispie buns, my 3 year old did most of the work!

Its simple, a bit like making rice crispie buns, my 3 year old did most of the work!

ha ha that's putting it up to me!
    thanks for that. Only problem is that if I made it successfully and it was yummy then I'd want to eat it all there and then! I have no self-control;)

ha ha that's putting it up to me!
    thanks for that. Only problem is that if I made it successfully and it was yummy then I'd want to eat it all there and then! I have no self-control;)
    The story of my life! I love it with a big bowl of berries, some yoghurt and the granola on the top, Unfortunately the 4 males in the house also like this and I'm fecking robbed feeding them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭rob w

No.....only joking, here it is. Very straight forward once you have weighed all the ingredients.
    300g of whole rolled oats ( I used the lidi porridge oats as they have bigger flakes)
    60g whole un skinned almonds.
    60g brazil nuts
    60g pumpkin seeds
    60g sunflower seeds
    100g dried apricots , roughly chopped
    good quality raisins 70 g

Syrup
    120 ml maple syrup
    120 ml honey
    3 tablespoons of water
    4 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
    Pinch of salt.

Chop the nuts roughly and mix with the oats, and seeds.
    Heat the syrup ingredients till warm, and pour over dry ingredients, mix carefully till all combined.
    Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and spread out the mixture evenly
    Bake in oven at 150 d for 40 minute until golden colour, mix 3/4 times.
    Remove from oven and add in fruit when its still warm. As it cools it gets crunchy, storage in air tight box.

Play around with the ingredients to suit yourself any nuts, seeds and dried fruit are grand. Enjoy.

I make a batch every two weeks or so very similar to that.......but with lots of dried fruit! Just had a big bowl of it this morning before heading out for an LSR now! Cant beat it, and simple to make as said already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Feck ye anyways, ye have me hungry for it now :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Feck ye anyways, ye have me hungry for it now :D:D

Off with you now and impress the household with your cooking skills!

Saturday 31 May
    am
    4.5 miles easy

...and I got my blissful night of sleep last night:)
    Did this before breakfast and it was lovely.

pm
    65 min progression run

Waited as late as I could to do this but it was still very warm at 6:30 and I was sweating a bit more than usual Got caught going for a pee in the bushes in St. Anne's but luckily it was another runner who saw me so he'll understand:D I hope:o
    10:13
    10:00
    9:35
    9:12
    8:53
    8:28
    7:58
    Didn't feel like killing myself tonight so I didn't! so there:p Too warm and just not in the mood but worked hard all the same towards the end.
    Daily total: 11 miles

May Review:
    Progression runs x 4
    LSR (2 with pace work) x 3
    Time trial x 1 (6:59)
    400s x 3
    800s x 1
    1600s x 1
    Monthly total:160 miles
    Yearly total: 762

Mileage is suffering a bit as intensity is increasing but it doesn't bother me much as this year is all about getting faster and I just have to be as fresh as possible for sessions so holding back on the miles when I need to. 5k training is hard:( but it'll be SO worth it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

4 males in the house

Always gives me a kick when I realize that somebody who I thought for the last year was male turns out to be female or vise versa.

Or when Ososlo turns out to have no connection to Oslo! :D

Sunday 1 June
    Rest. First complete day off in a long time. Life stuff. It certainly wasn't a restful day though:( Knew I wouldn't sleep at all Sunday night so wanted to conserve my energy.

Monday 2 June
    ...didn't sleep Sunday night as expected and it was actually worse than I envisaged as I spent a few hours on a floor with nothing to sleep on only a pillow (under my body, I'm 5'6'!) so any chances of sleep were nill, insomnia or not.. long story... So knocked the idea of the 800s on the head in the wee hours. why the hell do birds start singing so early? 3:38!!!am!!! Btw, the above floor situation had nothing to do with alcohol and I wasn't having fun:pac:

Easy run instead. 4.5 miles. Kept it very comfortable as I was so tired. Certainly felt a little better after the run than before it.
    4.5 miles total

Tuesday 3 June
    5 x 800s off 2 mins (3k pace, 7:20 pace-3:40 time)

Ok sleep last night, certainly not the worst, but the fatigue of recent poor nights definitely catching up.
    Forgot to do my AIS!!!! First time ever I think! Hit the Phoenix Park. 2 miles warm up 10:15, 9;50 and then some drills. Getting very warm at mid day. Would have waited until evening if I had known how warm it was going to be.
    This felt very hard and I think maybe harder than it should have which I'm putting down to residual tiredness.
    3:38
    3:40
    3:42 (horrible stitch developed at the end of this so hanging on for dear life the end of this and for all of the last one)
    3:45
    avg: 3:41
    So as usual, I went off too fast and paid for it in the end. I felt really good for the first few, better than I ever have for any of these sessions and thought that finally I'm making a break-through with this speed lark, but the final 2 were the hardest reps I think I've ever done. Nearly killed me. I don't know if they should feel this hard and I don't know why the stitch developed as I haven't had any recently. Used to get them badly in the past.
    There's no doubt about it, this 'speed' thing is very very hard for me and does not come naturally at all. I can run 20 slow miles no problem and would relish the thought of doing so, but these types of reps scare me and I think I'm so nervous doing them (that I'll fail) that it effects my performance.
    Born to run... slowly...
    Stazza, you have your work cut out!

Legs feel wonderful these days which I'm amazed by with 2-3 sessions or harder workouts a week. Can't believe it really. No niggles whatsoever. I'm reckoning it's down to the AIS which I do religiously before all runs except for today when I forgot!
    7.5 miles total
    pm
    35 mins recovery

In the lashings of rain but felt great. Wished I could have gone longer as had this sudden burst of energy.
    I love plodding :)
    11 miles daily total

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Sunday 18th May:

3:40 (time) (7:20 pace)
    3:42 (7:22)
    3:47 (7:35)

average: 3:43

Tuesday 3rd June:

3:38
    3:42
    3:45

average: 3:41

...And so, as if by magic, Ososlo began to fly...

Stazza wrote: »

...And so, as if by magic, Ososlo began to fly...

ha ha well hardly by 'magic':rolleyes:
    More by blood, sweat and lots of tears.. and I'm not exaggerating! Well, maybe not the blood:D yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

That's a really good session A. You may not be getting in as many miles as you'd like but you are doing some quality work. Can't wait for you to race and see the fruits of your labour!

RedRunner wrote: »
    That's a really good session A. You may not be getting in as many miles as you'd like but you are doing some quality work. Can't wait for you to race and see the fruits of your labour!

Cheers yeah hopefully there'll be a decent race time at the end of it. I just find these sessions so hard :( I used to be able to forget the pain a few minutes afterwards but now the memory of it is staying with me. Maybe I'm just a wuss :(
    First race at end of the month and will do a few in fairly quick succession I think to give myself a few chances to do summit daacent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Cheers yeah hopefully there'll be a decent race time at the end of it. I just find these sessions so hard :( I used to be able to forget the pain a few minutes afterwards but now the memory of it is staying with me. Maybe I'm just a wuss :(
    First race at end of the month and will do a few in fairly quick succession I think to give myself a few chances to do summit daacent.

what races and what's your current PB for those distances ? And more importantly, what are your goals for the upcoming races ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

ha ha well hardly by 'magic':rolleyes:
    More by blood, sweat and lots of tears.. and I'm not exaggerating! Well, maybe not the blood:D yet...

Coach will be delighted you're crying so much tears of happoness with these sessions.Maybe he'll up the intensity now :-D:-D
    Well done though, you'll reap the rewards soon enough. .

PaulieC wrote: »
    what races and what's your current PB for those distances ? And more importantly, what are your goals for the upcoming races ?

5k pb from March 2013 is 25:50. Next 5k was December 2013 where it near broke my heart (1,700 miles run last year) to do 26:01. So marathon training made me even slower.
    First shot at 5k this year is either Funlavin or Kilcock. Both at end of June. Might do Castleknock a few weeks later.
    So to targets...
    got to go sub 24. So 2 min pb. Maybe I'll be capable of early 23. I really don't know.
    They don't call me o so slow for nothing... Not making excuses but I give 100 per cent and always have but the returns are slow to come.
    Hopefully I'm with the right man to change all that and I do feel like I'm finally getting somewhere.

5k pb from March 2013 is 25:50. Next 5k was December 2013 where it near broke my heart (1,700 miles run last year) to do 26:01. So marathon training made me even slower.
    First shot at 5k this year is either Funlavin or Kilcock. Both at end of June. Might do Castleknock a few weeks later.
    So to targets...
    got to go sub 24. So 2 min pb. Maybe I'll be capable of early 23. I really don't know.
    They don't call me o so slow for nothing... Not making excuses but I give 100 per cent and always have but the returns are slow to come.
    Hopefully I'm with the right man to change all that and I do feel like I'm finally getting somewhere.

Best of luck in them. Given the work you're putting in, you definitely deserve the rewards. And looking at the WMM results from Monday, you shouldn't really be called ososlo...

Not doing Kilbride on the 17th?

Not doing Kilbride on the 17th?

Hey tang it was the plan all along. However I recently have been informed that I have to go to a wedding a few days before it and it will be impossible to stay away from alcohol and I'll be away two nights so most likely won't sleep so prep would be terrible. Decided to skip it. Shame. Even drove the route there a few weeks back and it seemed great.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Best of luck in them. Given the work you're putting in, you definitely deserve the rewards. And looking at the WMM results from Monday, you shouldn't really be called ososlo...

Yes everything being fair in life I would be getting the rewards I deserve. It'll happen though. I have no doubt.
    It's funny how one can love something one is so naturally bad at!

Hey tang it was the plan all along. However I recently have been informed that I have to go to a wedding a few days before it and it will be impossible to stay away from alcohol and I'll be away two nights so most likely won't sleep so prep would be terrible. Decided to skip it. Shame. Even drove the route there a few weeks back and it seemed great.

Few days on the beer far more important!!!

Few days on the beer far more important!!!

Believe me it's not! But no point fooling myself I won't drink.Want to be in a good positive frame of mind and body for the first assault this year!

(1,700 miles run last year) to do 26:01. So marathon training made me even slower.

Someone (can't remember who) once said to me that running slowly in training will train you for running slowly. It made sense to me and if that's what you were doing for DCM last year then it's probably no surprise that your 5k time went the wrong way, despite the volume. I was pacing 4:40 for DCM last year and did all my running quite slowly and it took quite a long time to get back up to speed. I have no doubt that what you are doing now will lead to large chunks coming off the PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't know anything about Funlavin, but a quick google reveals a hilly route https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=389864197793660&id=366923466754400

I can only speak very highly of Kilcock (st Cocas AC). Got my 5k PB there last year. Really fast course and a super race. Must start a new thread....

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't know anything about Funlavin, but a quick google reveals a hilly route https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=389864197793660&id=366923466754400

I can only speak very highly of Kilcock (st Cocas AC). Got my 5k PB there last year. Really fast course and a super race. Must start a new thread....

Cheers for that. Funlavin keep on going on about a new 'flatter' route this year as last year was so hilly apparently but 'flatter' doesn't necessarily mean flat!
    Looking like Kilcock so! I read of your 5k pb last night on that thread!
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cheers for that. Funlavin keep on going on about a new 'flatter' route this year as last year was so hilly apparently but 'flatter' doesn't necessarily mean flat!
    Looking like Kilcock so! I read of your 5k pb last night on that thread!
    Thanks again.

They seem to be suggesting that Castleknock is a lumpy course too. I'd have to imagine that to be the case given it's in Castleknock!! I have no doubt it would be for a wonderful cause and well organised but I'd suggest even st Anne's Parkrun would be faster if chasing a time.

Kilcock is a lovely fast route. It starts a little higher up than the finish with just a little bump at halfway over a bridge. I'll start a new thread later. Best thing of all is that the Beer Mile is on the following night; great way to celebrate a new PB :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    They seem to be suggesting that Castleknock is a lumpy course too. I'd have to imagine that to be the case given it's in Castleknock!! I have no doubt it would be for a wonderful cause and well organised but I'd suggest even st Anne's Parkrun would be faster if chasing a time.

Kilcock is a lovely fast route. It starts a little higher up than the finish with just a little bump at halfway over a bridge. I'll start a new thread later. Best thing of all is that the Beer Mile is on the following night; great way to celebrate a new PB :D

Great stuff. Kilcock it is so and actually St. Anne's Parkrun is another good option for a 2nd race.
    As for the beer mile, I'll consider it if I can skip the beer bit:P Double-vodka and coke instead:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

You talk yourself down to easily Ososlo, that session went really well especially given your sleep issues. There was only about 7 seconds (?) in difference between your fastest and slowest rep which is not disastrous. Also speedwork is damn hard and it often hurts like hell, it's just a case of sucking it up as best as possible, I've often collapsed in a heap after hard sessions so it's not unique to you to feel awful doing it. It will make you stronger.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    You talk yourself down to easily Ososlo, that session went really well especially given your sleep issues. There was only about 7 seconds (?) in difference between your fastest and slowest rep which is not disastrous. Also speedwork is damn hard and it often hurts like hell, it's just a case of sucking it up as best as possible, I've often collapsed in a heap after hard sessions so it's not unique to you to feel awful doing it. It will make you stronger.

So you cry too pconn at the end of a hard session? I feel better about it knowing I'm no the only one so:D
    Seriously though, yes I know you're right and it's supposed to hurt like hell. And I know it'll never get easier as then the targets will just change:(
    Now I know why people do marathons:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

So you cry too pconn at the end of a hard session? I feel better about it knowing I'm no the only one so:D
    Seriously though, yes I know you're right and it's supposed to hurt like hell. And I know it'll never get easier as then the targets will just change:(
    Now I know why people do marathons:pac:

I've come close to crying a few times, I have puked once or twice which is probably worse! :pac:

Wednesday 4 June
    3.5 miles easy

Got to sleep at 6am and had to get up early, what's new... Didn't feel too bad during the day and felt good on my run. Always want to go a bit further on easy days but always mindful of the scary session looming so hold back a lot on these.

Thursday 5 June
    10 miles with 6 strides

Unexpected day off work. Plan was to do the 4 x 1 mile reps if feeling good and rested today but just felt too lazy and tired and looking for any excuse not to do this (my most feared session of the week) so did the weekend longer run instead. I think that maybe I need more than one easy day between these sessions and hopefully they'll feel a bit more manageable with the extra rest.

Took in as many hills as I could in the Phonenix Park as I don't really run hills much anymore. Most of longer runs are sessions so I always stick to the flat but today was an opportunity to re-visit some of my favourite places in the park. The Furry Glen looked wonderful in mid-day sunshine and the sight of the pond down there was just breathtaking and worthy of a little stop and rest to drink in the scene but I didn't want to break the momentum so plodded onwards and upwards out of the Glen. Then rising up like a phoenix as I approached the s-bends this wonderful sight of Dublin city in all it's glory presented itself to me. The hairs on my body stood up and I had my favourite Muse song on the player and thoughts of DCM this year started entering my head and wouldn't go away. I remembered last year and how much I loved running through this section of the park and recalled all the wonderful training runs I'd done there and how much I relished the training leading up to the big day and then remembered heading down into Chapelized and the roars of the crowds just willing you on an on and how wonderful it all was.... ah here stop tormenting yourself Ososlo...
    Back to business:cool: and the Hurt Locker that is 2014 training...
    All in all a very enjoyable and serene run and I noticed that even though I don't run hills anymore my easy pace seemed to be well under 10min/miles throughout this run without putting in any effort so that's progress! so IF! I was doing DCM this year then hopefully a sub 9 min/mile would be do-able, but I'm not so it doesn't matter! I'll just keep reminding myself of what I might be capable of this time next year and use that motivation to keep me going throughout this challenging training block.
    pm
    35 mins easy

Well what a lovely little run. I discovered some new little trails in my local park so I did ALL of this on grass or trail. Splendid!
    Now That's What I Call Running!
    13+miles daily total
    4 x 1 mile reps Saturday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

If you need more days recovery, take them. In fact, you'd be better taking two days recovery after each session and even then, if you don't feel recovered, take another day. You don't improve on the workout days, you improve during the recovery. If you stress before recovery, you're not getting the best out of yourself and ultimately, you'll end up injured or stale.

Stress, recovery, adaptation. Simples.

Stazza wrote: »
    If you need more days recovery, take them. In fact, you'd be better taking two days recovery after each session and even then, if you don't feel recovered, take another day. You don't improve on the workout days, you improve during the recovery. If you stress before recovery, you're not getting the best out of yourself and ultimately, you'll end up injured or stale.

Stress, recovery, adaptation. Simples.

How about 4 weeks between sessions:confused: Sounds good to me:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

How about 4 weeks between sessions:confused: Sounds good to me:D:D:D

Or 8x400 with 1 week recovery between reps?

• Advertisement

Or 8x400 with 1 week recovery between reps?

super! you coaching anyone atm?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

IF! I was doing DCM this year then hopefully a sub 9 min/mile would be do-able, but I'm not so it doesn't matter!

You know you want to!!!

Stop denying yourself your pleasures!!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You know you want to!!!

Stop denying yourself your pleasures!!

Ha ha. Naw I made up my mind a good while ago and I am a girl who sticks with her decisions! It's all for the greater good. I just relapsed momentarily today:D
    I'll be running it vicariously through you guys this year:D

Friday 6 June
    Rest
    With the 4 x 1 mile reps looming in the morning I decided to give my body an extra bit of rest and see if that would make the session a little easier more manageable. Sleep very very bad on the previous night so I was just shattered and thought any kind of running would be counter-productive and would serve no benefit to the session the next day.

Saturday 7 June
    4 x 1 mile at 5k(7:40-7:45) w/90 sec recoveries
    Went to bed extra early (11ish) and got to sleep quite quickly. Woke a few times but got back. Woke in the early hours in floods of tears. Weird. Couldn't stop crying. I sound like one very disturbed individual:D Thing is though that I'm not. I'm actually a very well balanced and rounded person and since I discovered running I am probably the happiest person I know. Things might have been very different in the past but not any more. And not just happy on the surface, deep down really happy. So I'm not losing it:eek: Got back to sleep eventually and felt fine when I woke up.

Did foam rolling and AIS at home and went to St. Anne's and did the warm up few miles. Felt fine but warm up miles were quite slow even for me.
    Mile 1: 7:43 (bang on but it felt too hard for rep one)
    90 sec jogging recovery
    Mile 2: 7:59:mad: Spent this whole mile struggling to stay below 8 pace.
    Now I did this session 2 weeks ago and was able to do avg 7:48 so don't know what went wrong today.
    After the second mile I knew it would be near to impossible to gain any kind of decent average back so I gave up.
    Question is: Should I have kept going even though the second rep was way off? Was I right to stop as my body was trying to tell me something?
    When do you know if you just need to htfu or to call it a day? I went with instinct today and just stopped and ran a few very easy miles. I probably could have completed the session but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have completed any decent splits.
    First time I've bailed on a session as far as I can remember:(. I know I'm never completely happy with my splits in any session and get very close to where I want but not 100% but I always finished them in the past.
    Anways, I'm going to try and not worry about it and just give myself another few easy days before I attempt it again. Problem now is that I've built this mental block in my head about it (on top of the existing one:p) so need to do plenty of positive thinking for the next few days!
    For what it's worth, the body feels very strong these days despite the sleep stuff and I don't have much if any stress in my life at all so maybe it was just a one off bad day for whatever reason.
    7 miles total

Off day nothing more, nothing got to do with HTFU, you could sell stuff for christ sake!! We have all bailed in sessions, even the best on here has bailed on sessions, its nothing to be ashamed about. How your still functioning with your sleep situation is beyond me to.

Your coming on massively and in fairness sessions aint suppose to be easy. Bit less self critical and more self confidence in yourself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement