Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tang1 wrote: »
    Bit less self critical and more self confidence in yourself.

This x 1000

Do what ever it takes:

Forget the watch/ don't look at it
    Find the flatest course/ net downhill
    Find someone to pace you
    Take a good taper up to a session

At this moment in time biggest focus should be on restoring your confidence as this seems to be holding you back. You are well able for it everyone can see now it is just a matter of getting you to start believing in it again. Running is a hobby and is to be enjoyed, ignore the stressful elements and just get back to enjoying carefree running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ecoli wrote: »
    This x 1000

Do what ever it takes:

Forget the watch/ don't look at it
    Find the flatest course/ net downhill
    Find someone to pace you
    Take a good taper up to a session

At this moment in time biggest focus should be on restoring your confidence as this seems to be holding you back. You are well able for it everyone can see now it is just a matter of getting you to start believing in it again. Running is a hobby and is to be enjoyed, ignore the stressful elements and just get back to enjoying carefree running.
    Yep I feel that the 'running fast' issue is in my head and that's what's holding me back. I still freak out when I see sub 9 min/mile on the watch, let alone sub 8!
    I don't think the problem is anything to do with not recovering well between sessions (because I seem to bounce back straight away) and I don't think it's because of my sleep (as that's been part of my life for so long I've learned to function fine with it).
    I'm not going to blow this all out proportion though and make it a bigger thing than it is as that won't help me! One bad day. That's all;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Ososlo wrote: »
    I sound like one very disturbed individual:D Thing is though that I'm not. I'm actually a very well balanced and rounded person
    B0ll0cks. All runners are fruit cakes. What sane individual dresses in shorts and tshirts and goes running in the rain and cold!! Just accept it, your nuts!!

gerard_65 wrote: »
    B0ll0cks. All runners are fruit cakes. What sane individual dresses in shorts and tshirts and goes running in the rain and cold!! Just accept it, your nuts!!

ha ha you're undoubtedly correct there gerard but in the context on this forum I think I'm pretty sane:D

ha ha you're undoubtedly correct there gerard but in the context on this forum I think I'm pretty sane:D

Not exactly setting the bar high there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hhhmmmmm, I'm not so sure about that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

The nutjobs always think their the sane ones and everyone else is nuts!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Hhhmmmmm, I'm not so sure about that one!

:eek:explain yourself young man:cool:

gerard_65 wrote: »
    The nutjobs always think their the sane ones and everyone else is nuts!!

I think this explains it quite we'll ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Regarding the session, your post reminds me of my old log.

Just get a new log and change your name??

No seriously, we've all bailed on sessions. I'd be interested in your coaches perspective on pace vrs effort. I believe he uses effort??

Mile reps are horrible, horrendous inventions and should be banned from the runners lexicon.

Get back on the horse again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Mile reps are horrible, horrendous inventions and should be banned from the runners lexicon.

and especially when they're done off 90 seconds recovery :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

You need to race. Ditch the watch, run a parkrun and revel in your guaranteed pb. Honestly Ososlo ur in super shape explain to me why you aren't racing? Doing reps w/ no purpose is soul destroying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Defo do a race. It's the reward for doing the sessions and will give you confidence in your abilities and improved speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

drquirky wrote: »
    You need to race. Ditch the watch, run a parkrun and revel in your guaranteed pb. Honestly Ososlo ur in super shape explain to me why you aren't racing? Doing reps w/ no purpose is soul destroying.

Have to agree. Surely at this stage a Park run would be the perfect replacement for a 4 x 1 mile session. Would set a good marker to beat in Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I totally agree. I think you will have so much pressure put on yourself leading to this goal 5 km it will hold you back. Go do a park run, don't tell anyone your doing it, forget the watch and see how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Just get a new log and change your name??

No seriously, we've all bailed on sessions. I'd be interested in your coaches perspective on pace vrs effort. I believe he uses effort??

Ok, I’ll step in here and explain a few things:

There’s a time and a place for both effort and pace. The first 12 weeks or so of Ososlo’s training was all about effort and running by feel. She was learning to run and getting away from all the heart rate plodding. Prior to those twelve weeks, she was plodding around at 10-12 min pace. After 12 weeks of ‘base’ type training (base which touched on all the relevant and necessary elements that she needed to focus on and could cope with) she suddenly noticed that she could run at sub 8 min pace and in fact, even did a 1 mile TT tickling sub 7 pace. The idea of the TT was to show her how far she’d come in a short amount of time, give her some confidence, and indicate the paces she should run for the 4 week block of multi pace training. So that’s two blocks of training – one base and one short block of multi pace training, where pace takes over from effort.

From the outset, Ososlo was made aware of how tough the 4 weeks of multi pace would be. She knew there would be blood, sweat, and tears. She knew that there would be good days, like last week when smashed her 800 times and improved her average by 2 secs for each 800m. Right now, she’s in the middle of that and doing just fine – she had a hiccup yesterday, which could have been caused by any number of things. There’s no big drama. The rock will keep spinning and she’ll be fine. She bailed on a session – probably due to her body fighting off some sort of lurgy. Hopefully she’ll live. Yeah, she’s a bit down and all that but that happens when everything isn’t rosy all of the time, especially if you have a penchant for perfection. And it is her penchant for perfection that will bring the deserved rewards – not her desire for a quicky, a knee-shaker up an ally. This is all about the long ride. It’s all about teasing out the ultimate climax. Building towards perfection. Oops, wrong forum.

Her first race was scheduled for two weeks time but she has a wedding and she has now scheduled her first race for three weeks time, which is perfect.

Contrary to what everybody else thinks, the worst thing she could do is race right now. Sure, she’d get a pb. Then if she were to race again in a few weeks she’d get another pb. But that would be it. After that she’d go flat and stale. Endgame. She needs another 2-3 weeks of multi-pace training. Then, after the block is finished, she’ll be ready to spend 6-8 weeks of racing, sharpening, and maintaining. After the 6-8 weeks of racing, she’ll need to take 10-14 days off from running. Then, with her new found speed etc she can set about building a ‘real’ base over the winter which will set her up for a spring and summer of racing.

I understand why everybody thinks she should be racing, but that is short term thinking and isn’t in Ososlo’s long term interest. Quick wins are easy. But quick wins lead to long term disappointment.

If she were to adopt a race a month attitude she wouldn’t get anywhere. Yeah, she might take a few seconds off her times here and there but she’d just be plodding along for the rest of her years. And this is the crucial point, she doesn’t want to race every month and plod along, she wants to make substantial improvements. Racing every month suits fast twitch fibre types and slow twitch guys who operate off big mileage. Ososlo is a slow twitch beginner. Racing once a month off a weak base would prove futile.

Ultimately, time will tell. But I’m pretty confident that Ososlo will make similar gains to Paddy the Kenyan. He’s improved his 10k pb by nearly 2 mins after 4 months of training - 36:XX - 34:XX. He’ll go on to take another 2mins off his 10k time - 32:XX - this year. Without any stress or pressure, Ososlo will run many pb’s through July and August. Her first race might not be a 2 min pb. But she’ll run a pb and her confidence will grow and by the end of August she’ll be sitting there thinking, Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I completely disagree. I'll be back later to explain why. ;)

I thought this whole running thing was meant to be fun, none of us are full time athletes preparing for the worlds or the Olympics.

Sometimes we can take the fun aspect out of it and it becomes like a second job.

Reading back on the last few weeks here and stazzas post above it appears that the enjoyment of running/training/racing is diminishing rapidly ososlo.

That's my 2 cents, feel free to ignore!!

I thought this whole running thing was meant to be fun, none of us are full time athletes preparing for the worlds or the Olympics.

Sometimes we can take the fun aspect out of it and it becomes like a second job.

Reading back on the last few weeks here and stazzas post above it appears that the enjoyment of running/training/racing is diminishing rapidly ososlo.

I'd agree with some of this:

The running should be fun and if there's no enjoyment then you (universal pronoun) should question what you are doing.

Personally, I hate doing workouts. I dread them. I've bailed on two sessions in as many weeks - one because of a niggle and the other because of not taking enough days to recover etc. But that's how it goes. If it were all about fun, I wouldn't do any workouts, I'd just go and run along the canal and look at the mountains.

It'll be interesting to read what the good lady thinks - crisis or Much Ado About Nothing...

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »
    If it were all about fun, I wouldn't do any workouts, I'd just go and run along the canal and look at the mountains..

But there has to be a happy medium between sightseeing and training like a pro for spring/summer next year!!

But there has to be a happy medium between sightseeing and training like a pro for spring/summer next year!!

At the moment, Ososlo's training is geared towards running 5k races in July and August - this is what she wants. And while her training is geared towards running 5k's in July and August, it's also laying foundations for future development, again, this is what she wants. Also, I strongly suspect that Ososlo is in a happy place with her running. But again, I'll let her answer that one...

At the moment, Ososlo's training is geared towards running 5k races in July and August - this is what she wants. And while her training is geared towards running 5k's in July and August, it's also laying foundations for future development, again, this is what she wants. Also, I strongly suspect that Ososlo is in a happy place with her running. But again, I'll let her answer that one...

Relax, my comments weren't aimed at you.

Relax, my comments weren't aimed at you.

I am relaxed :confused: I know your comments weren't aimed at me - why would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

As others have said ososlo - its just one bad session. We all get bad sessions and bounce back. Do what a man does, blame everthing but yourself for it and just delete the experience after your next good workout :)

Everybody hates mile repeats. I have a pathological fear of any interval workout myself.

I can see the approach you are making Stazza and definitely see its merit. The racing debate is an interesting one and I think there is definitely a fine line.

I think it comes down to the mental aspect of the individual. I can see alot of pro's and con's to each side.

I think some athletes can uses races to great affect to help benefit in training (in particular through the mental aspect) through

- Breaking up training blocks, helping see the clearing through the forest so to speak, often people find it easier to do numerous 4 week blocks as opposed to a 16 or 20 week training block. Here the races can coincide with down weeks or just be a bench marker to show improvement at the end of each block

- motivation and confidence. Some times a race is a great way to break up the mid cycle struggle. Nothing motivates us better than a good result to want to push on or help us believe that the training is going in the right direction.
    This is one I particularly find useful with athletes as its a great way to help give an athlete confidence in the training they are doing as I try not to use same sessions too often to prevent an athlete racing a workout to beat previous times and keep the focus on effort.

However there are con's to and I know myself in my own training that during racing block my training was compromised to a point and this is also something to be mindful of for sure as we can get into a habit of racing too much when sometimes we just need to get the head down and keep the routine going without any distractions.

(Sorry for derailing your log O, if you want me to spilt the thread just say so)

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    I can see the approach you are making Stazza and definitely see its merit. The racing debate is an interesting one and I think there is definitely a fine line.

I think it comes down to the mental aspect of the individual. I can see alot of pro's and con's to each side.

I think some athletes can uses races to great affect to help benefit in training (in particular through the mental aspect) through

- Breaking up training blocks, helping see the clearing through the forest so to speak, often people find it easier to do numerous 4 week blocks as opposed to a 16 or 20 week training block. Here the races can coincide with down weeks or just be a bench marker to show improvement at the end of each block

- motivation and confidence. Some times a race is a great way to break up the mid cycle struggle. Nothing motivates us better than a good result to want to push on or help us believe that the training is going in the right direction.
    This is one I particularly find useful with athletes as its a great way to help give an athlete confidence in the training they are doing as I try not to use same sessions too often to prevent an athlete racing a workout to beat previous times and keep the focus on effort.

However there are con's to and I know myself in my own training that during racing block my training was compromised to a point and this is also something to be mindful of for sure as we can get into a habit of racing too much when sometimes we just need to get the head down and keep the routine going without any distractions.

(Sorry for derailing your log O, if you want me to spilt the thread just say so)

Agree with everything you've said.

John Kellogg (for those who don't know, he's a modern day/updated version of Lydiard) has some interesting thoughts on the subject. Here's what he says:

"Long-term development. It takes years for runners to attain their capacities. Most Americans employ a "fast food" training scheme, particularly in junior high and high school. They run hard intervals on the track, which gives them an alluring quick fix, yet the long-term results are without exception mediocre at best. Every time you race, you're drawing not only off of training you did a few weeks ago or even months ago, but also off of running or other activity that you did many years ago! The nature of that activity must be predominately aerobic for best future results in running."

PtK is working off 4 week cycles to break up his training/check out fitness etc. If I were fit enough, I too would use the 4 week cycle approach, but only for a limited amount of time. PtK will employ the 4 week cycle-race system until the end of August/September, before entering his first genuine block of 6 month 'base' training. During this period, he will not race. This suits him and his type. I suspect, it'll be the same for Ososlo. The main reason for this is that they are both just starting out. And to go back to Kellogg, if they race, they haven't got too much to draw upon. I don't agree with everything Kellogg has to say but this makes a lot of sense, especially for beginners and certain types of runner.

Bringing this back in to Ososlo: she's already run 5k pb's at the end of 10-12 mile progression runs - without killing herself. She knows she could go out and run a 5k pb. But if she waits a couple of weeks, she'll get more out of the training, which I think everybody would agree has seen her make substantial improvements with only a very limited amount of 'real' hard training.

That said, there's no point doing rucks of training and then wasting it etc. But for the sake of a week or two and finishing a schedule that has proven to be hugely effective, makes sense to me.

And like a few people have said, she merely bailed on a session. Crikey, I wish everybody cared this much about me when I bailed on my recent sessions. Must be something to do with long eyelashes.

Stazza, I am sure everything you say is correct in theory, but in reality training sessions like 4 x 1mile are mentally more demanding than doing say a Parkrun. I would argue that the training benefits are pretty much the same.

You can race short distances pretty much every week IMO but you don't have to do them all as flat out efforts. Last year my club were doing a 7 week series of races over hilly terrains where you wouldn't really put pressure on yourself for times/splits but you would race your clubmates for places. I found this brought me on something serious. I did a few 5/10ks at the weekends in this period and took 30 seconds off my 5k and 90seconds of my 10k PBs in about a month. I did pretty much only easy running apart from the races (no speedwork)

I am not saying no training sessions for ososlo but I think the odd parkrun in place of a tough weekend training session would be a good addition to her training phase. Play them as 90% efforts, even choose the hilliest parkrun around so there is no pressure on a time and do them as watchless/pressureless runs. This would not only have an equal training effect to a hard session (IMO) but also give a bit more racing/pacing experience and take the pressure off somewhat when the 'big' race comes up. I just feel putting all the eggs in one basket (target race) will just mean there is a load of pressure come the first race.

Crikey, I wish everybody cared this much about me when I bailed on my recent sessions. Must be something to do with long eyelashes.

I think it's more a symptom of the way the forum has evolved. Most of the old training discussion was done in a theoretical way as just that, a discussion, but over the last year or two the training talk has moved to the logs and almost latch on to real world example to open up the discussion.

(admittedly my original comments were a little rash as I remember her not feeling great on a session a few weeks back from tiredness IIRC, and then seeing this having missed the subsequent posts due to holidays)

Jaysus. I decided to take a much needed 24 hour break from boards and running yesterday after my disastrous session and get some head space. Great timing:D Went to Kildare to visit my sister and stay over and listen to her complicated love life. Bastad of an ex-husband (remind me never to tell anyone in real life that I'm Ososlo) causing her hassle and she's in a very mixed up situation with someone new and possible someone else newer on the horizon... So listening to all of that soon took my mind off mile rep session. A few bottles of wine later we put the world to right and decided she (and most women.. not me!) would be better off without any men at all and turn lesbian and she needs to get back to taking her running seriously again. She was a minute faster than me over 5k about a year ago. She needs to get her priorities in order:cool:

Meanwhile, I had this burning sensation in my ears all night and now I know why!

Sunday 8 June
    Woke up (after 2 hours sleep) with a bit of a sore throat so this might explain yesterday's problem but I know the few drinks didn't help matters either but were much needed. We were to go running in the Curragh but I decided to be sensible. Will rest today and if feeling better tomorrow will get back on the wagon. Drove the Funlavin route in case I decide to do that race as my first race but it's pretty awful. Lovely first half but a drag most of the second and a serious hill near the end. Good to know anyways. So it's looking like Kilcock now. Judging by my sudden popularity in running circles lately, the press might be there to see me pb so I might look into getting restyled for the race:D
    Checked boards on my way back to Dublin and felt a little thrown and frustrated by some of it. Only one thing for it! Some shopping:D always makes me feel better, so popped into AKing on way home and treated myself to a new pair of racing shoes (which I hope to wear in my next race;)). They're Puma Faas 300v3s. Really like slippers as they are so comfy and light but still have a nice bit of support. Very tempted to try them out this evening but won't. Can't wait to race in them:) Met thirstywork and told him who I was on boards but unfortunately he was busy with another customer but I got his recommendations for some new shoes to try out following his earlier suggestions on my log. Dealt with another lovely guy in there. Once again superb service. It's always a pleasure.
    Weekly total: 39 miles
    A few changes will be made to my training from now on with a major focus being on rest and recovery. I'm going to have more days between sessions. I was only taking 1 day between them a few weeks ago which I don't think was enough for me. My body always seems to spring back fine the next day but I think there's more to recovery than that so need to give myself more time for it all to sink in. I'll be working off a 9 day week (lucky me! who else around here has a 9 day week:p) so that should make it all a little more manageable. I'll cut down on the mileage even more with the sole focus being on rest/recovery and sessions.
    Now to catch up on my log:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

They will have to introduce a phased start in kilcock with the crowds that shall be turning up to see how you get on!

• Advertisement

Ah welcome back. The place hasn't been the same without you:D
    To be very honest with you, I knew you'd be along sooner or later. It was just a matter of time. And I knew it'd be with a comment not necessarily aimed at me (if you know what I mean;)).
    thanks for your comment about my 'shape' and I agree, I'm not looking too bad even though I do say so myself:p

I'm not racing because it's not in my plan. There was a 10k race included a few weeks back but I couldn't do it due to personal reasons.
    I see plenty of long 5k training programmes with no tune up races and plenty with. It's one way of doing things.
    I don't understand what you mean about reps 'with no purpose':confused: If I'm not doing them to help me get faster then I really am wasting my time!
    They're part of my training programme all aimed at getting me to speed up.
    I have no interest in 'revelling' in a pb. A small pb means nothing to me at this point. I wanted to put in a good long extended training effort towards getting faster and hopefully over a few races when my plan is finished, I'll see some significant results and that's what I'm doing. I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh.

Beef wrote: »
    Defo do a race. It's the reward for doing the sessions and will give you confidence in your abilities and improved speed.
    Thanks Beef and yes I'll be doing my first race once the training programme ends at the end of June.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    I totally agree. I think you will have so much pressure put on yourself leading to this goal 5 km it will hold you back. Go do a park run, don't tell anyone your doing it, forget the watch and see how you get on!
    It's the first race of a few races I'll be doing so not 'the' 'goal' race. There isn't one. First race at end of June.

No seriously, we've all bailed on sessions.
    As others have said ososlo - its just one bad session. We all get bad sessions and bounce back. Do what a man does, blame everthing but yourself for it and just delete the experience after your next good workout :)

Everybody hates mile repeats. I have a pathological fear of any interval workout myself.
    ha ha yeah they are the creation of the running devil, no doubt about that!
    Yes one bad session and I'll attack the next one with renewed vigour and looking forward to it now in a kind of sadistic way! Thanks:)

I can plod on forever at my 10 min/mile pace or whatever and never improve (maybe make tiny improvements) but be a happy plodder with a smile on my face and yes this is the most enjoyable kind of running. Of course it is! Nobody has a smile on their face when they're doing interval work do they? It's not meant to be fun. It's mean to be hard work. If it's not hard work and you have a smile on yourself you're not doing it properly.
    The thing is, I don't have any natural ability like yourself so I'll aways be a plodder if I don't work on my weakness. For someone like me, this is going to take a lot of work but I've changed my mindset lately and want to be more than a plodder forever. Running miles doesn't work for me to get faster. That's easily seen in the past year where I run good mileage but it doesn't make any gains for me. Marathon training actually made me slower. So I have to sacrifice some of the 'fun' of running to make significant improvements. I'm willing to make these sacrifices as I want to get faster. Yes there are a lot less smiley faces in my posts after sessions but that's what it's going to take I'm afraid. I can pull out of this 5k training any time I want and go back to marathon plodding and be really happy with smiley faces all over my posts and do a 4ish hour marathon. But that doesn't interest me anymore. I'd be much happier in myself to do a much better 5k time. But it's going to take some more pain to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I love it when it kicks off like this around here!

Ps Ososlo. If you and your identical twin* decide to go lesbo record it and send me a copy

*humour me

TRR wrote: »
    Ps Ososlo. If you and your identical twin* decide to go lesbo record it and send me a copy

*humour me

:eek: She's my sister:eek: Thanks for moving the topic on from my training though:D

:eek: She's my sister:eek: Thanks for moving the topic on from my training though:D

Ok but you've no problem with going lesbo with somebody who isn't a family member and recording it for me? Well that's what I'm taking from this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Ok but you've no problem with going lesbo with somebody who isn't a family member and recording it for me? Well that's what I'm taking from this!

Ah, now I know why your next race is kilcock.....

Wow! How did we go from 4 x 1 mile reps to this in a few hours?
    Seriously though, thank for moving the topic on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Cheers for that. Funlavin keep on going on about a new 'flatter' route this year as last year was so hilly apparently but 'flatter' doesn't necessarily mean flat!
    Looking like Kilcock so! I read of your 5k pb last night on that thread!
    Thanks again.
    Hi Ososlo, just catching up on your log....the Funlavin 5k route is flat and I would think a pb course, the route has changed from last year (which was flat) and now includes a downhill run through the town of Dunlavin...making it even faster. The route is out and back the same road, but the finish does not take you back up the hill through the town, it is before the hill:) I am very familiar with the route. However the 10k route had a brute of a hill on it last year, this year the route has changed but would still have some 'nice' hills on it...up and down :D I am doing the 10k as I did it last year but would much prefer to be doing the 5k. Link to 5k route... http://www.mapmydistance.com/route/1548/1548/ And for anyone doing 10k http://www.mapmydistance.com/route/154931/154931/

FITZA wrote: »
    Hi Ososlo, just catching up on your log....the Funlavin 5k route is flat and I would think a pb course, the route has changed from last year (which was flat) and now includes a downhill run through the town of Dunlavin...making it even faster. The route is out and back the same road, but the finish does not take you back up the hill through the town, it is before the hill:) I am very familiar with the route. However the 10k route had a brute of a hill on it last year, this year the route has changed but would still have some 'nice' hills on it...up and down :D I am doing the 10k as I did it last year but would much prefer to be doing the 5k. Link to 5k route... http://www.mapmydistance.com/route/1548/1548/

Ah great thanks! Well that changes things dramatically (and might throw the paparazzi off the scent;) )
    It would be a lovely race without that horrible last climb up to the centre of the village.
    Really appreciate that and the link.
    btw, don't get the wrong impression of my log from the posts in the last 24 hours. It's normally just posts about hard-work training runs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Ah great thanks! Well that changes things dramatically (and might throw the paparazzi off the scent;) )
    It would be a lovely race without that horrible last climb up to the centre of the village.
    Really appreciate that and the link.
    btw, don't get the wrong impression of my log from the posts in the last 24 hours. It's normally just posts about hard-work training runs:D
    :D it has made interesting reading alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

** Apologies in advance to Ososlo **

Folks

Just an observation - right or wrong - I'm putting it out there.

Ososlo has a plan, decided by her and her coach, that has a certain end goal.
    We're all like minded individuals on here who have opinions on all things running, but sometimes when you are on the receiving end of it, it is a bit overwhelming - I take this from personal experience, it may make you not want to post as much on Boards.
    It has even made many posters close their accounts for similar reasons.

But, its a public forum, once you post it is a permanent record and we all have opinions on how certain athletes who we might follow and 'like' - and every one of us wants the best for that athlete. The very best.
    So we post away, (I've done it many times) giving our advice - in some circumstances, this advice is different to the advice that the coach gives - that's ok sometimes - sometimes its not.

Anyway - I think we need to be mindful that 1 bailed session does not make anything. its not about racing more or less - its really about Ososlo committing to a plan giving to her by her coach that she's agreed to and is in the process of executing.
    I think more support is better than less support.

Ososlo - if you need someone to pace your next set of reps - give me a shout. Serious offer.

As Ososlo is mentoring the novices for DCM - this message will delete - as I think all the above should in the next 12 hours.

Ososlo - if you need someone to pace your next set of reps - give me a shout. Serious offer.

Super post and what a lovely kind offer which I'll give some serious thought to and pm you. Cheers AMK:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well said AMK.

As Ososlo is mentoring the novices for DCM - this message will delete - as I think all the above should in the next 12 hours.

Great post but I don't think you should delete your post, nor do I think others should either. Debate is great I think and it makes people see things from different view points. Ignorance is bliss but knowledge is the key to betterment.

When I was a DCM novice in 2009 I was a member the novice thread and much of what my mentor (amadeus) said went over my head. I used to read a lot of the stuff that Tergat used to write on the main board at the time as well as the logs of the more experienced runners. TBH I just didn't understand it, I didn't know your PMPs from your tempos much less your mile reps. I thought that everyone just follwed a HH plan and ran a WR marathon :pac:.

However my interest and curiosity got piqued by all the debate and I resolved to study and understand. All the knowledge and debate in the long run made me a better runner. So don't burn the books AMK, keep the knowledge and debate alive. We are all adults around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I agree with meno tbh. Debate is brilliant and deleting posts is almost tantamount to censorship in my eyes (maybe that sounds a bit ott but I hope you know what I mean). I'm sure ososlo would rather this didn't happen on her log but I've certainly enjoyed the exchanges and learned something from the different opinions.

I'll delete this one no problem if required but I'm perplexed. Are we not to give constructive opinion on an individual's approach to training anymore?

It'll be all back slapping and high 5's soon enough. AMK is the platini of the boards a/r forum ;)

• Advertisement

I'll delete this one no problem if required but I'm perplexed. Are we not to give constructive opinion on an individual's approach to training anymore?

It'll be all back slapping and high 5's soon enough. AMK is the platini of the boards a/r forum ;)

No I certainly don't want that at all and don't want anything deleted. That's why I posted my cr^p session to get some feedback about whether I just need to toughen up or if I was right to bail out on Saturday, but I didn't realise it would blow all out of proportion and turn into a different discussion altogether.
    End of;) :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement