Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Tuesday 24 June
    Rest. Didn't sleep and felt dreadful all day so nothing to be gained by a plod.

Wednesday 25 June
    45 mins easy.
    Lovely run in the warm summer rain, just how I like it. Easy pace was just under 10 min/mile putting no real effort in at all, so that feels like progress. Never look at the watch for these runs and don't care how slow they are. They're all about keeping the legs fresh and ticking over until the next hard workout.
    Went for dinner and didn't drink even though all around me were! I'm really surprising myself with my dedication to the cause these days!

Thursday 26 June
    45 mins easy with 8 x 25 sec strides

Felt a bit more tired than yesterday due to insufficient winks last night but enjoyable all the same. Fun throwing in the strides to spice up the fourth mile a bit. And I'm feelin' good..
    I DID IT! A post with no smilies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

:D
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Tuesday 24 June
    Rest. Didn't sleep and felt dreadful all day so nothing to be gained by a plod.

Wednesday 25 June
    45 mins easy.
    Lovely run in the warm summer rain, just how I like it. Easy pace was just under 10 min/mile putting no real effort in at all, so that feels like progress. Never look at the watch for these runs and don't care how slow they are. They're all about keeping the legs fresh and ticking over until the next hard workout.
    Went for dinner and didn't drink even though all around me were! I'm really surprising myself with my dedication to the cause these days!

Thursday 26 June
    45 mins easy with 8 x 25 sec strides

Felt a bit more tired than yesterday due to insufficient winks last night but enjoyable all the same. Fun throwing in the strides to spice up the fourth mile a bit. And I'm feelin' good..
    I DID IT! A post with no smilies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You running Kilcock tomorrow evening?

tang1 wrote: »
    You running Kilcock tomorrow evening?

No..stuff came up.
    Did you not hear, I'm turning to the track:D
    Something coming up soon...

Friday 27 June
    Rest

Terrible sleep Thursday night so was a bit all over the place in the morning. Slipped on a soap spillage in the bathroom at work (wearing heels I hadn't worn in a while) and landed on my right knee and then went onto my right glute/hip. My face missed the marble sink by 2 inches so I was very lucky not to do some serious damage. Filing incident report, took some pictures of it and hopefully if I need physio I can get it covered by work. Very very painful initially and I'll admit it, I did almost cry but once I picked myself up off the floor it wasn't too bad. Assessed the damage.
    Knee was sore and marked and felt very bruised and was throbbing for the day and very hot, but it didn't seem to be changing my gait too much. Phew.
    Decided not to run that day and just rest up but was very worried about it as due to race Sunday.

Saturday 28 June

Leg didn't bother me in the night and slept well. However, knee gone black and blue and when I got out of bed it was sore with the impact of each footstep. No pain, just soreness. Side of right glute/hip also a bit bruised and sore throughout the day. Oh what to do.... First race of the year tomorrow and this has to happen. Great timing:rolleyes: Foam rolled everything well. Went for 25 min tester run fearing the worst. The impact of each step on the ground caused soreness but not pain and I didn't feel that my form was being impeded. Did a few 10 second pickups and hurt a little more. Oh what to do:confused:.. Iced a good bit during the day. Looked up some other races to do instead but I really want to get the first one out of the way asap. Made up my mind to do the race unless things got really bad in the next 12 hours. Spent the day worrying.

On a side note, I'm recording some very low resting heart rates in the past few days. When I'm fit, like in the midst of marathon training last year it's in the early 50s. The last few days it's been consistently 46/47 last thing at night and first thing in the morning. barryoneill50's rhr - watch out!
    30 mins easy

Sunday 29 June
    Race 1 following 15 Week 5k Training Programme
    Funlavin 5k - DNF

Woke up and the glute was quite sore but the knee had calmed down a lot and swelling gone down a lot. It's now a lovely mixture of black and green!
    Did some foam rolling (really relieves the glute discomfort) and some AIS and things felt a good bit better so decided to give the race a shot. Wasn't feeling very confident due to the recent incident so tried not to put too much pressure on myself and as I'm going to do another race next weekend anyway, thought to myself that today can just be a test run.

I really didn't know what pace I'd be capable of holding for this. I always had 7:40 pace in mind as that was the target for my 1600s and my recent 400s would suggest that I should be able to do around 23:50 today. So I decided to go out at 7:40 and see how that felt and what might be realistic after that.

Did a 2 mile warmup with the last 3 mins around 8:45 pace and 5 x 15 second strides. Was roasting hot by the time the warmup was done. I might have done a tad too much considering the heat as the sweat was really pouring off me. I really don't handle heat well and wasn't prepared for the sun beaming down as it had been quite overcast the last few days. We were waiting around for ages for the start, about 20-25 mins I'd say so I felt the benefit of my warmup was gone as it was so long ago at that point.

Mile 1: 7:40 - bang on and felt good (first k was done in 7:20 pace which was WAY too fast for me).
    Mile 2: it all started to go wrong. Could feel the glute nagging at me a bit but that wasn't the real problem. I was just way too hot and sweating way too much and my breathing was way too hard. Really struggling badly and mentally not in a good place. Mile 2 felt like mile 3 should have when one is really badly mentally struggling but one manages to push on through as there's only a mile to go. Pace creeping up to 8min/mile wtf? Mile 2 came in around 8:10 pace (too depressed to look at the watch stats but I think it was something around that pace).
    I just lost heart at that point and mentally opted out of the race as I felt at the time it was pointless to continue as I was so badly off target pace.
    So, I made the irreversible and detrimental decision to hit stop on the watch :(Idiot:mad: (around 3 mins into mile 3 I think and pace hovering around 8:18 afaicr)

In hindsight I should have completed it as I still would have managed a one minute pb and maybe better if I had found some extra mental strength somewhere. Took my chip off and jogged back to the finish.
    Didn't pick up my water or banana or go to the hall or anything as I didn't feel I deserved it due to not finishing the race and really wasn't in the mood. My very kind bf dealt with the situation impeccably, giving just the right amount of sympathy (not too much as I hate it!) and some very gentle encouragement about why I shouldn't give up on this 5k malarky and jump into marathon training or take up darts...

I'm not going to beat myself up over it anymore (I did plenty of that for a few hours after the race) as it's my first go at a race in 6 months and I was really just using it as a tester to see where I'm at. The accident on Friday put me in a very negative frame of mind going into this race and I wasn't even sure I'd be able to run until this morning. However, I'm not using the accident as an excuse for how poorly I did as I don't think it had too much of an impact physically. It was nagging at me a bit but not painful.
    I'm looking forward to getting in another 5k next week and I'll keep plugging away at them every week/fortnight until I do something decent.
    SH!T HAPPENS.

Lessons learned:
    - I went off too fast but I really didn't know what I'd be capable of as I said above so it's a learning experience for me. I should have started at 7:50 pace perhaps or even slower. I've a lot to learn about race strategy and my capabilities and that learning process started today.
    It hurts to say this, but perhaps I'm less fit than I think I am so need to be more realistic about my goals. In saying that, I truly did think I'd be capable of 7:40 pace today, I really did. I've visited the 'pain cave' so many times in training at this stage that I feel I'm quite familiar with being there - but maybe not quite 'comfortable' enough being in there. I thought that running at that pace in a race should feel easier than banging out these reps on my own but it didn't feel like that today. It felt harder.

- I should have finished the damn thing even though I wasn't on target to hit my desired goal. That mentality of just 'giving up' as things aren't going my way is not going to get me anywhere. As TbL said in jest:confused: on my log recently, I'm just not 'mentally tough enough'. YET TbL YET
    - I should have done the beer mile as my first race of the year. Guaranteed first female and a national title. That would have set me up nicely for the rest of the racing season:)
    - I should have rung my mother this morning for some negative "pep-talking". This is the greatest mistake I made:eek: If anyone ever needs her number to get all fired up to pb, just pm me:) She's great!

pm
    5 mile Consolation/Stupid Girl Run. Ran my guts off to get rid of some of my frustration. This was a Progression Run in reverse order. I was really upset setting off so just blasted the first few miles and then got steadily slower and slower. Realised I hadn't eaten anything since my breakfast at 8 this morning and had drunk very little and it was roasting so felt like fainting. Glute hurting a little now so hopefully I didn't do any damage but sometimes one's gotta just run for the hell of it.

Ever wish you didn't have a log?

Hard luck today, the fall at work impacted you regardless if you dont want to use it as an excuse. Its a learning experience, 5k is a bitch of a distance to judge pace wise and take many attempts to get it right.

Put it down to another lesson learnt, forget about it and move on. You'll be back twice as prepared and ready next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hard luck today, the fall at work impacted you regardless if you dont want to use it as an excuse. Its a learning experience, 5k is a bitch of a distance to judge pace wise and take many attempts to get it right.

Put it down to another lesson learnt, forget about it and move on. You'll be back twice as prepared and ready next time.

Big + 1 to all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Hard luck, that's a tough break, but in fairness to you, you've the work done. So wait until your 100% and have another crack at it, don't worry about today just take experience from it and move on. Keep the faith!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Agreed. And lots of credit due for even toeing the line!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

You are as tough as they come girl.
    Now make sure that knee is ok and away ya go again. I had a very bad race in clontarf last year and I was absolutely gutted. In hindsight it was the best thing that happened me as I used it for motivation. I know you are not into football but a while back Macedonia beat Ireland, and from then on mick McCarthy made the worst player in trainning wear a Macedonia Jersey, which I thought was genius. On a last run before a race I wear the t-shirt I got that day in clontarf and I say to myself I won't have another clontarf. So use this race for motivation, don't have another funlavin........
    Friday 27 June
    Rest

Terrible sleep Thursday night so was a bit all over the place in the morning. Slipped on a soap spillage in the bathroom at work (wearing heels I hadn't worn in a while) and landed on my right knee and then went onto my right glute/hip. My face missed the marble sink by 2 inches so I was very lucky not to do some serious damage. Filing incident report, took some pictures of it and hopefully if I need physio I can get it covered by work. Very very painful initially and I'll admit it, I did almost cry but once I picked myself up off the floor it wasn't too bad. Assessed the damage.
    Knee was sore and marked and felt very bruised and was throbbing for the day and very hot, but it didn't seem to be changing my gait too much. Phew.
    Decided not to run that day and just rest up but was very worried about it as due to race Sunday.

Saturday 28 June

Leg didn't bother me in the night and slept well. However, knee gone black and blue and when I got out of bed it was sore with the impact of each footstep. No pain, just soreness. Side of right glute/hip also a bit bruised and sore throughout the day. Oh what to do.... First race of the year tomorrow and this has to happen. Great timing:rolleyes: Foam rolled everything well. Went for 25 min tester run fearing the worst. The impact of each step on the ground caused soreness but not pain and I didn't feel that my form was being impeded. Did a few 10 second pickups and hurt a little more. Oh what to do:confused:.. Iced a good bit during the day. Looked up some other races to do instead but I really want to get the first one out of the way asap. Made up my mind to do the race unless things got really bad in the next 12 hours. Spent the day worrying.

On a side note, I'm recording some very low resting heart rates in the past few days. When I'm fit, like in the midst of marathon training last year it's in the early 50s. The last few days it's been consistently 46/47 last thing at night and first thing in the morning. barryoneill50's rhr - watch out!
    30 mins easy

Sunday 29 June
    Funlavin 5k - DNF

Woke up and the glute was quite sore but the knee had calmed down a lot and swelling gone down a lot. It's now a lovely mixture of black and green!
    Did some foam rolling (really relieves the glute discomfort) and some AIS and things felt a good bit better so decided to give the race a shot. Wasn't feeling very confident due to the recent incident so tried not to put too much pressure on myself and as I'm going to do another race next weekend anyway, thought to myself that today can just be a test run.

I really didn't know what pace I'd be capable of holding for this. I always had 7:40 pace in mind as that was the target for my 1600s and my recent 400s would suggest that I should be able to do around 23:50 today. So I decided to go out at 7:40 and see how that felt and what might be realistic after that.

Did a 2 mile warmup with the last 3 mins around 8:45 pace and 5 x 15 second strides. Was roasting hot by the time the warmup was done. I might have done a tad too much considering the heat as the sweat was really pouring off me. I really don't handle heat well and wasn't prepared for the sun beaming down as it had been quite overcast the last few days. We were waiting around for ages for the start, about 20-25 mins I'd say so I felt the benefit of my warmup was gone as it was so long ago at that point.

Mile 1: 7:40 - bang on and felt good (first k was done in 7:20 pace which was WAY too fast for me).
    Mile 2: it all started to go wrong. Could feel the glute nagging at me a bit but that wasn't the real problem. I was just way too hot and sweating way too much and my breathing was way too hard. Really struggling badly and mentally not in a good place. Mile 2 felt like mile 3 should have when one is really badly mentally struggling but one manages to push on through as there's only a mile to go. Pace creeping up to 8min/mile wtf? Mile 2 came in around 8:10 pace (too depressed to look at the watch stats but I think it was something around that pace).
    I just lost heart at that point and mentally opted out of the race as I felt at the time it was pointless to continue as I was so badly off target pace.
    So, I made the irreversible and detrimental decision to hit stop on the watch :(Idiot:mad: (around 3 mins into mile 3 I think and pace hovering around 8:18 afaicr)

In hindsight I should have completed it as I still would have managed a one minute pb and maybe better if I had found some extra mental strength somewhere. Took my chip off and jogged back to the finish.
    Didn't pick up my water or banana or go to the hall or anything as I didn't feel I deserved it due to not finishing the race and really wasn't in the mood. My very kind bf dealt with the situation impeccably, giving just the right amount of sympathy (not too much as I hate it!) and some very gentle encouragement about why I shouldn't give up on this 5k malarky and jump into marathon training or take up darts...

I'm not going to beat myself up over it anymore (I did plenty of that for a few hours after the race) as it's my first go at a race in 6 months and I was really just using it as a tester to see where I'm at. The accident on Friday put me in a very negative frame of mind going into this race and I wasn't even sure I'd be able to run until this morning. However, I'm not using the accident as an excuse for how poorly I did as I don't think it had too much of an impact physically. It was nagging at me a bit but not painful.
    I'm looking forward to getting in another 5k next week and I'll keep plugging away at them every week/fortnight until I do something decent.
    SH!T HAPPENS.

Lessons learned:
    - I went off too fast but I really didn't know what I'd be capable of as I said above so it's a learning experience for me. I should have started at 7:50 pace perhaps or even slower. I've a lot to learn about race strategy and my capabilities and that learning process started today.
    It hurts to say this, but perhaps I'm less fit than I think I am so need to be more realistic about my goals. In saying that, I truly did think I'd be capable of 7:40 pace today, I really did. I've visited the 'pain cave' so many times in training at this stage that I feel I'm quite familiar with being there - but maybe not quite 'comfortable' enough being in there. I thought that running at that pace in a race should feel easier than banging out these reps on my own but it didn't feel like that today. It felt harder.

- I should have finished the damn thing even though I wasn't on target to hit my desired goal. That mentality of just 'giving up' as things aren't going my way is not going to get me anywhere. As TbL said in jest:confused: on my log recently, I'm just not 'mentally tough enough'. YET TbL YET
    - I should have done the beer mile as my first race of the year. Guaranteed first female and a national title. That would have set me up nicely for the rest of the racing season:)
    - I should have rung my mother this morning for some negative "pep-talking". This is the greatest mistake I made:eek: If anyone ever needs her number to get all fired up to pb, just pm me:) She's great!

pm
    5 mile Consolation/Stupid Girl Run. Ran my guts off to get rid of some of my frustration. This was a Progression Run in reverse order. I was really upset setting off so just blasted the first few miles and then got steadily slower and slower. Realised I hadn't eaten anything since my breakfast at 8 this morning and had drunk very little and it was roasting so felt like fainting. Glute hurting a little now so hopefully I didn't do any damage but sometimes one's gotta just run for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Friday 27 June
    Rest

Saturday 28 June

30 mins easy

Sunday 29 June
    Funlavin 5k - DNF

SH!T HAPPENS.

Lessons learned:

pm

Sorry to hear today was not a good one. Thank you for giving it a go today in Dunlavin. Whatever 5k you decide to do next I hope you reap the rewards you so deserve:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

File for compo, hire an ambulance chasing solicitor and go to town. Fire your coach and race more... That's all my advise for now :)

In all seriousness- 5k is a distance you shouldn't over think. Go out hard and hang on- you really shouldn't have DNF'd as it will put doubt in your mind for no reason- the reality is if you run a 5k right you should be literally just about hanging on and pretty much want to DNF for the entire last mile....

Get back on the horse right away and race this week you need a positive result and from what I can see the PB is there for the taking. Set a race marker- all very well to hit splits in training but racing is a different beast- a famous coach used to say "you are what you are right now" find out what you are and out in the work to push on from there.

Oh and going out a blasting a 5 mile progression run after a nearly 3 mile race effort w/ pain in your glute is unbelievably silly- in fact kinda reminds me of a RK type rash activity (before he got smart, became AMK and started kicking ass

. I'm sorry to be harsh here Ososlo but you need a kick in the ass tbh. Backslapping here will do nothing for you.

drquirky wrote: »
    File for compo, hire an ambulance chasing solicitor and go to town. Fire your coach and race more... That's all my advise for now :)

In all seriousness- 5k is a distance you shouldn't over think. Go out hard and hang on- you really shouldn't have DNF'd as it will put doubt in your mind for no reason- the reality is if you run a 5k right you should be literally just about hanging on and pretty much want to DNF for the entire last mile....

Get back on the horse right away and race this week you need a positive result and from what I can see the PB is there for the taking. Set a race marker- all very well to hit splits in training but racing is a different beast- a famous coach used to say "you are what you are right now" find out what you are and out in the work to push on from there.

Oh and going out a blasting a 5 mile progression run after a nearly 3 mile race effort w/ pain in your glute is unbelievably silly- in fact kinda reminds me of a RK type rash activity (before he got smart, became AMK and started kicking ass

. I'm sorry to be harsh here Ososlo but you need a kick in the ass tbh. Backslapping here will do nothing for you.

ha ha and i wouldn't have expected any less from you kind sir.

1. I agree I shouldn't have DNF. I'm flawed. I'm mentally weak. Did I not make that clear already?
    2. I am racing straight away again. Did I not say?
    3. Yes I know it was silly to do a 5 mile reverse progression run. Did I not say that already? Any need to state the obvious?
    4. I'm not asking for sympathy or backslapping. I hate it! Posting today was a very difficult thing for me to do as I don't do well with sympathy or failure. But what's the point in having a log if I only post the good stuff? Today I'm posting the bad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sorry today didn't go to plan.

I think you just need one reasonably good race to ease the worry of it all and then you'll fly on them all. Shouldn't have stopped - but you know that already

I think one of your lessons learned is wrong if I may say. I wouldn't have thought there's any such thing as going out too fast in the 5K distance.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I think one of your lessons learned is wrong if I may say. I wouldn't have thought there's any such thing as going out too fast in the 5K distance.

There is if you know you cant sustain that pace for the whole race.

• Advertisement

There is if you know you cant sustain that pace for the whole race.

Why isn't banking some extra time in the first mile a perfectly valid race strategy over such a. short distance? Setting off at what you THINK is the pace you can sustain for an entire 5K can lead to you undercutting yourself. In my one and only 5K race, I ran 23:03 thinking at the start of the race that 24:29 would be an awesome result. If I had approached it in the manner you advocate, I'd have run at least a minute slower.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought there's any such thing as going out too fast in the 5K distance.

Ok this is what you posted, your next 5k you go out at 5.30min/mile pace for the first mile and see how you get on. There is such a thing as going out to fast in a 5k if you cant sustain that pace.

ha ha and i wouldn't have expected any less from you kind sir.

1. I agree I shouldn't have DNF. I'm flawed. I'm mentally weak. Did I not make that clear already?
    2. I am racing straight away again. Did I not say?
    3. Yes I know it was silly to do a 5 mile reverse progression run. Did I not say that already? Any need to state the obvious?
    4. I'm not asking for sympathy or backslapping. I hate it! Posting today was a very difficult thing for me to do as I don't do well with sympathy or failure. But what's the point in having a log if I only post the good stuff? Today I'm posting the bad stuff.

Haha

Na you aren't mentally weak, we all are- hell I get panic attacks in races, how ****ing weak is that lol. All I meant is HTFU is what's needed here- you only really learn that through racing- training and racing are so drastically different.

As far as the 5 mile progression run goes all well and good saying you know it's stupid. But as someone who's dealt with very serious running injuries (to the point of walking away from the sport for years ) I always try and point out to posters when I think they are doing something that could cause injury/ illness...

Good luck in your next one , ditch the watch, don't overthink and you'll smash it !

Haha

Na you aren't mentally weak, we all are- hell I get panic attacks in races, how ****ing weak is that lol. All I meant is HTFU is what's needed here- you only really learn that through racing- training and racing are so drastically different.

As far as the 5 mile progression run goes all well and good saying you know it's stupid. But as someone who's dealt with very serious running injuries (to the point of walking away from the sport for years ) I always try and point out to posters when I think they are doing something that could cause injury/ illness...

Good luck in your next one , ditch the watch, don't overthink and you'll smash it !
    I am mentally weak. If I wasn't I would have finished the race today. I have a bad attitude. I wouldn't have been happy with anything less than a 2 min pb today and that's a bad attitude. I've been through HTFU many many time over the past few months banging out reps of 400s 800s and 1600s in parks throughout Dublin and being at the puking/crying stage many many times. so I thought I was mentally well prepared. As I said, I'm learning. I'm really new to all of this and a few months ago, would never have considered being able to do 4 sub 8 min miles (yeah laugh all you want) in training, but I did it twice. So I was confident of my target today.
    The progression run today was like my double vodka and coke. I had to knock it back to get my fix and it worked. I felt better after it. I belted out the door in frustration and hit Ikea in lightening speed (slower than my predicted race pace though:rolleyes:). I said it was a silly run earlier but I was willing to suffer the consequences.
    Days like today and subsequent replies leaves one wondering should one just knock the log on the head and go quietly about one's business and return in a few months in a more positive frame of mind. However, maybe that's just chickening out and I need to HtFU here too. I like to have an honest log but I'm just not sure if it's the way forward.
    I agree with a lot of what you've said but sometimes perhaps you should consider more deeply what you're saying and how it might impact on people. I laid out very clearly where I went wrong today which was almost exactly what your response to me said. Did I need to hear it again from someone else? Maybe.

Ok this is what you posted, your next 5k you go out at 5.30min/mile pace for the first mile and see how you get on. There is such a thing as going out to fast in a 5k if you cant sustain that pace.

Seeing as I can't run at 5:30 mile pace, that would be rather impossible. I went out as fast as I possibly could (with an injury too)....which is the same idea for everyone regardless of their level.

• Advertisement

I am mentally weak. If I wasn't I would have finished the race today. I have a bad attitude. I wouldn't have been happy with anything less than a 2 min pb today and that's a bad attitude. I've been through HTFU many many time over the past few months banging out reps of 400s 800s and 1600s in parks throughout Dublin and being at the puking/crying stage many many times. so I thought I was mentally well prepared. As I said, I'm learning. I'm really new to all of this and a few months ago, would never have considered being able to do 4 sub 8 min miles (yeah laugh all you want) in training, but I did it twice. So I was confident of my target today.
    The progression run today was like my double vodka and coke. I had to knock it back to get my fix and it worked. I felt better after it. I belted out the door in frustration and hit Ikea in lightening speed (slower than my predicted race pace though:rolleyes:). I said it was a silly run earlier but I was willing to suffer the consequences.
    Days like today and subsequent replies leaves one wondering should one just knock the log on the head and go quietly about one's business and return in a few months in a more positive frame of mind. However, maybe that's just chickening out and I need to HtFU here too. I like to have an honest log but I'm just not sure if it's the way forward.
    I agree with a lot of what you've said but sometimes perhaps you should consider more deeply what you're saying and how it might impact on people. I laid out very clearly where I went wrong today which was almost exactly what your response to me said. Did I need to hear it again from someone else? Maybe.

Fair enough. I won't post on this log anymore as the last thing I want to do is hurt feelings (I actually do mean that). Best of luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Just write it off as a bad race. But I know how you feel -- I think sometimes when you really, really think you've covered something specific in training and then it doesn't work out in a race you can get a real mental wobble. The two things I found toughest in the marathon last year -- and they really colored my thinking about it for months after -- were 1) getting to the section around Terenure where I run all the time from work, thinking I'd feel great because it was familiar, and when I didn't, really panicking, and 2) underestimating how I'd feel after 20 miles in a race situation; in training I'd often feel tired at 15 or 16 miles, but really get a second wind around mile 19-20. When I didn't get a second wind in the actual marathon, it sort of broke my spirit! I know a 5k is different to a marathon, but you've trained so hard for 5k I completely understand that not feeling the results of that training in the race can be very demoralizing. The next one will go better -- if you feel bad, just tell yourself that if you don't feel like dying / stopping in a 5k then you're not running fast enough. And well done on the log!

Fair enough. I won't post on this log anymore as the last thing I want to do is hurt feelings (I actually do mean that). Best of luck...

I don't care if you hurt my feelings. I just want it to be all about my 'running' and not other things and I welcome anything that helps my running. Feel free to post your thoughts if you have anything helpful that can help. All imput is appreciated as long as it's directed to me and my running.
    I actually do mean that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'm wondering whether I should post this or not??

I think you gave up far too easily. Definitely need a bit of HTFU in there. Everybody hits bad patches in races at some stage, and drawing on the experience of how you got through those tough moments the last time you encountered them in a race is a great motivator (for me anyway). The next time you hit a bad patch in a race, dropping out will be at the forefront of your mind again as that's what you did here and it could start becoming a very bad habit. I don't think you can blame your injury either as you went out and did the five mile run later the same day.

Sorry if I sound extraordinarily harsh, but you did say you wanted honest opinion about your running and advice that might improve it. That's my two cents worth.

yaboya1 wrote: »

I think you gave up far too easily. Definitely need a bit of HTFU in there. Everybody hits bad patches in races at some stage, and drawing on the experience of how you got through those tough moments the last time you encountered them in a race is a great motivator (for me anyway). The next time you hit a bad patch in a race, dropping out will be at the forefront of your mind again as that's what you did here and it could start becoming a very bad habit. I don't think you can blame your injury either as you went out and did the five mile run later the same day.

Sorry if I sound extraordinarily harsh, but you did say you wanted honest opinion about your running and advice that might improve it. That's my two cents worth.
    I agree.
    You're not being harsh, however, I reiterate what I said earlier: I'm not blaming my accident at work. It didn't impact on my physically today to any real extent. I think I made that clear in my post. I'm not looking for excuses.
    I gave up because I wasn't on target for the time I wanted/felt I deserved and yes that was a really bad reason to give up. I could have run a one minute pb and should have been very happy with that.
    I had overrated expectations of what I felt I should achieve. I need to be more realistic. Thanks. I appreciate it. I thought I had laid out my case very clearly in my initial post, but maybe I didn't. And to re-iterate, I'm really not looking for backslapping and I don't think people mean it that way.

I agree.
    You're not being harsh, however, I reiterate what I said earlier: I'm not blaming my accident at work. It didn't impact on my physically today to any real extent. I think I made that clear in my post. I'm not looking for excuses.
    I gave up because I wasn't on target for the time I wanted/felt I deserved and yes that was a really bad reason to give up. I could have run a one minute pb and should have been very happy with that.
    I had overrated expectations of what I felt I should achieve. I need to be more realistic. Thanks. I appreciate it. I thought I had laid out my case very clearly in my initial post, but maybe I didn't. And to re-iterate, I'm really not looking for backslapping and I don't think people mean it that way.

But now your PB is still the one that you had before yesterday (and would have beat if you had continued). Even if you did finish the race and take less off it than you wanted, wouldn't that give you a better target to beat next time?

But now your PB is still the one that you had before yesterday (and would have beat if you had continued). Even if you did finish the race and take less off it than you wanted, wouldn't that give you a better target to beat next time?

yes I appreciate that now in hindsight. I didn't at the time. Again, I think i said that in my initial post.
    I regretted it almost immediately.

yes I appreciate that now in hindsight. I didn't at the time. Again, I think i said that in my initial post.
    I regretted it almost immediately.

Well at least that's something. We learn from our mistakes.
    Good luck in your next race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Firstly - don't even think of stopping to log here - too many people enjoy it. Let's face it the best logs have some incredible ups and down but like in the cheesy films the hero (you in this case :D) after a few hairy moments always comes good. - you will too.

Secondly, you share a lot on your log - that's not a criticism by the way. Others -myself being an example of this - say had a bad day, felt crap but I'll get over sort of stuff and get away with murder. Because of the honesty you put in your posts you get away with nothing. RK's log used to be like that - and he took an awful lot of analysis and criticism because of it. It's because people are rooting for you and mean well don't forget.

I have been doing a bit of navel gazing about my running lately especially as I have made a mess of/underperformed in at least 75% of the races I've done in the last 12 months. I've taken long walking breaks in 3 races in the last 12 months and they do dent the confidence. I've tried to put these to the back of my mind but they do pop in when the going gets tough not matter how well you are doing in training.

My conclusions are as follows:
    • I don't race enough so not getting enough practice at racing - training is no real preparation for how mentally tough racing is. Racing is the best training for racing.
    • Because I race so few times, I put extraordinary pressure on the races I do as I've prepared so long for them and have over thought them. If I raced more often especially over 5 and 10k I would relax and by the law of averages would have a few good races :D.
    • I find myself finding excuses not to race and am waiting for the perfect race in terms of course flatness etc etc. to avoid racing.
    I'm posting this here as some of this might resonate with you (and nobody reads my log!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I gave up because I wasn't on target for the time I wanted/felt I deserved and yes that was a really bad reason to give up.

I've been guilty of this in the past in a 5k :o
    In fact, I only later realised I misread the watch and was actually on target for a PB (at 2.2 miles :o:o:o)

The solution is either to not wear the Garmin or learn to race (5ks especially) without looking at it/depending on it for feedback.

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Firstly - don't even think of stopping to log here - too many people enjoy it. Let's face it the best logs have some incredible ups and down but like in the cheesy films the hero (you in this case :D) after a few hairy moments always comes good. - you will too.

Secondly, you share a lot on your log - that's not a criticism by the way. Others -myself being an example of this - say had a bad day, felt crap but I'll get over sort of stuff and get away with murder. Because of the honesty you put in your posts you get away with nothing. RK's log used to be like that - and he took an awful lot of analysis and criticism because of it. It's because people are rooting for you and mean well don't forget.

I have been doing a bit of navel gazing about my running lately especially as I have made a mess of/underperformed in at least 75% of the races I've done in the last 12 months. I've taken long walking breaks in 3 races in the last 12 months and they do dent the confidence. I've tried to put these to the back of my mind but they do pop in when the going gets tough not matter how well you are doing in training.

My conclusions are as follows:
    • I don't race enough so not getting enough practice at racing - training is no real preparation for how mentally tough racing is. Racing is the best training for racing.
    • Because I race so few times, I put extraordinary pressure on the races I do as I've prepared so long for them and have over thought them. If I raced more often especially over 5 and 10k I would relax and by the law of averages would have a few good races :D.
    • I find myself finding excuses not to race and am waiting for the perfect race in terms of course flatness etc etc. to avoid racing.
    I'm posting this here as some of this might resonate with you (and nobody reads my log!!)
    ha ha great constructive post. And I read your log!!! Every single post! You've a great log!
    Yes I put a lot out there and usually have to severely edit my initial posts as I put WAY too much out there. My log would be closed down by now if I didn't heavily edit:eek:
    I agree, I'm leaving myself open to attack so should be willing to accept the inevitable. I don't believe in doing things willy nilly though. I either do it properly or I don't. I didn't have to post my race today. Only Stazza and 2 other posters knew I was doing it and they would have kept quiet. I weighed it up and decided to just post it as it was because I've always been honest on my log before.
    No excuses, just plain and simply as it was. I didn't want to post the stuff about my accident at all but it happened and it's part of my running as it impacted on my race prep so I posted it. I didn't post it to make excuses.
    I'm only starting to race this year so have a lot to learn so I have no doubt that racing experience is what I need. We can all agree on that one;)
    Thanks again for the post, much appreciated.
    I'll read it properly again and take it al in when I've finished the pb wine

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

The first 1k was all downhill, and a very fast downhill....maybe that downhill had a negative effect?...so that when you hit the incline just after the 1k mark it hurt more than you expected?
    Your log is very honest...the good, bad and ugly....which is why I read it :)

FITZA wrote: »

The first 1k was all downhill, and a very fast downhill....maybe that downhill had a negative effect?...so that when you hit the incline just after the 1k mark it hurt more than you expected?
    Your log is very honest...the good, bad and ugly....which is why I read it :)
    yeah maybe had a negative effect and maybe set me up for a bit of a fall.
    Went out too fast for sure for that first k.
    thanks for the comments. Hopefully there'll be some 'good' soon or readership will fall:eek:

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've been guilty of this in the past in a 5k :o
    In fact, I only later realised I misread the watch and was actually on target for a PB (at 2.2 miles :o:o:o)

The solution is either to not wear the Garmin or learn to race (5ks especially) without looking at it/depending on it for feedback.

yeah good point about the watch. i need to learn to race too for sure.
    That must've been a bit of a bummer. Did you drop out like the mentally weak and htfu lacking Ososlo though? Bet you kept going.

It's a learning experience -- I dropped out of the Pride run last year (similar thing - slight injury, just feeling sluggish in race etc). I was afraid it would become a pattern, but instead, the next time I felt awful in a race I was able to draw on how bad I'd felt after dropping out that time and it spurred me on to at least finish. And usually once you get over the 'I want to stop' hump in a race you get your mojo back and start racing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did you drop out like the mentally weak and htfu lacking Ososlo though? Bet you kept going.

They don't call me DNF meno for nothing. I dropped out and walked a shortcut back to the finishline :o:o

Also, I know it's not for everyone, and I know you like running alone, but joining a club and wearing club colors in races makes it VERY hard to stop and walk or drop out (well, it makes it had for me, anyway). Just a suggestion! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Dont throw the towel in on the log just yet, it's by far the most interesting log on here. Bad day at the office today, dust yourself off and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

You are over thinking things. This is supposed to be fun!
    Telling yourself you are mentally weak is a self fulfilling prophecy.
    Drquirky is right we are all mentally weak. The trick is learning how to override those negative vibes. You say you have no issues hitting sessions in training. Your weakness apparently is in races. I'm not going to tell you to race more as you should follow whatever your coach says and disregard others BUT it may be something you guys need to look at. No use training your backside off for months and then blowing it in your goal race as you aren't race ready and haven't learned how to deal with your perceived deamons! It really is a simple sport. Run more/smarter get faster. Race more get better at racing!

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Also, I know it's not for everyone, and I know you like running alone, but joining a club and wearing club colors in races makes it VERY hard to stop and walk or drop out (well, it makes it had for me, anyway). Just a suggestion! :)

good point. If I ever do decide to join a club it'll definitely be yours. I've only ever heard great things about it.

wowzer wrote: »
    Dont throw the towel in on the log just yet, it's by far the most interesting log on here. Bad day at the office today, dust yourself off and move on.

thanks. Everyone having fun at my expense:confused:
    Only kidding. Cheers

TRR wrote: »
    You are over thinking things. This is supposed to be fun!
    Telling yourself you are mentally weak is a self fulfilling prophecy.
    Drquirky is right we are all mentally weak. The trick is learning how to override those negative vibes. You say you have no issues hitting sessions in training. Your weakness apparently is in races. I'm not going to tell you to race more as you should follow whatever your coach says and disregard others BUT it may be something you guys need to look at. No use training your backside off for months and then blowing it in your goal race as you aren't race ready and haven't learned how to deal with your perceived deamons! It really is a simple sport. Run more/smarter get faster. Race more get better at racing!

yeah I know what you're saying and I didn't want to post at all as that just got me overthinking things more. However I did want to put into words in my log how things panned out today and it seems that whenever I post honestly about things there's a strong retort from other posters. There were a lot of words in my initial post and maybe too many.
    It was my first race of many. I'll be doing them regularly for the next few months so hopefully they'll eventually translate into a decent outcome.
    It wasn't really a goal race today but my first race of the year. I'll be racing a lot more over the coming weeks and months. If I'm still Ososlo and not making progress by the end of August then we'll really have something to worry about.
    Thanks. Well done on the win bro.

Thanks I'm sure mum would be proud ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Let's move on.

What's the next session?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Let's move on.

What's the next session?

One last one before we do;)

Brave post. I'm sure you knew there would be an onslaught of advice of all different types.

Pity things didn't work out for you today but it is an experience I'm sure you'll learn by. This whole running business is a never ending learning curve and with each training or racing experience we pick a little bit of knowledge up that'll make us better in the longer term.

I do think that you put too much pressure on yourself though to bag that A1 performance. Maybe if you eased up a bit on yourself it might happen when you least expect it. I know you'll get what you want in the end though that's for sure with your work ethic and determination which is evident from this log.

I agree with HelenAnne too on the club colours thing. I definitely find since joining that wearing the colours gives you that little extra determination to do well.

Tomorrow is another day. Next week this will be long forgotten. We get knocked down but we get up again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear about your bad day, Ososlo. Having things go wrong on a big day can be demoralising - I had a similar experience at the Race Series HM last year when nothing went right and I felt very low afterwards - the exact opposite to the high we all get when things go well. But as has been suggested, this is all part of the journey and ultimately we can learn as much (if not more) from a bad race as a good one. Not that that's ever much if a consolation on the day, but in time...

Better luck next time. Get the head up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

At the end of August, I think it’ll be interesting to come back to the 29th June and have a cheeky little goosey: we’ll be able to see if all the advice from the advisers, advising that you should have raced more, was the correct option during your base phase

FWIW – I thought your report was great. A few more on here would benefit from more honesty and less flummery and skullduggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Ososlo.

Very interesting thread. Thanks for posting. I've had the same issues with attitude and mentality as yourself in the past. The very odd day though id wake up and have an absolute blinder. A very rare occasion mind.

Perceived mental weakness can be potential mental strength. You have a strong mind and when its negative it is hampering you. When the moons align and its positive.....a different story.

The trick for you is to eliminate any other issues at play and to get the mind positive before and during a race.

What I do is:

Very good preparation the week of the race. Good nutrition, decent stretching, controlled rest. That makes a huge difference. Looking back I realize that a lot of my race preparation was a bit flawed, and I realize that I was giving myself an excuse to fail....to sabotage the race. So I separate the preparation from the race. Tick off the good pre-race stuff without associating it with the race too much. That way I complete them well. That will make you feel well, feel physically strong. You might start to get that confident feeling...where youre getting sure a good one is imminent.

Execution of correct race pace.
    Nearly all my DNF-s were caused by going out to hard.
    Everything goes against you: you see your chances of success are gone, you are hurting way too much compared with the distance left....whats the point of suffering for nothing? What's the point of climbing a mountain of pain when theres no reward at the top? And there is truth in it: unless you are absolute top peak condition you don't recover and do well after such a start. It doesn't happen.

Id suggest using maybe a Park run as training if accessible: for you to practice running around race pace. (Id go out at 95% race pace and hold for the race. That should help and a useful training session too. Even in your target race. 95-97% for the first k, you'll know what to do then.)

That's what I did and it helped greatly.

-Prepare well, so you feel good and prepared before the race.
    -Never start out faster than Predicted race pace under any circumstances. This will feel slow. (Don't look for hardship..it will find you 3k+ down the road, where it will be manageable.)

Lastly, be as objective as you can in your diagnosis. Its not easy with disappointment, and its good to share it....we all relate to it

But specifically in the nuts and bolts analysis......anything you can do in the box ticking dissassociative manner will help. Pick out areas for improvement in preparation and execution and improve them dispassionately.

If this works for you as it did for me, you might find some of the perceived mental weakness, was actually attributable to other things. And if youre feeling well prepared, physically good and go out well in the race: then that perceived weakness might soon be revealed as strength, when your mind is rowing with you late in the race.

Stazza wrote: »
    At the end of August, I think it’ll be interesting to come back to the 29th June and have a cheeky little goosey: we’ll be able to see if all the advice from the advisers, advising that you should have raced more, was the correct option during your base phase

Hell may be about to freeze over but I agree with stazza in principle here. FWIW I think you should actually stop logging here ososlo. I enjoy your log and wouldn't like to see it go but you have decided to let someone coach you. That means you should do what they say 100%, even if others don't agree. You are getting too many (well intentioned) mixed signals here and you would be better off listening to one voice! I coach a couple of people and they've come back and said X and Y say I should be doing this or that. I tell them they should be coached by that person then!

But above all remember it's meant to be fun ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Hell may be about to freeze over but I agree with stazza in principle here. FWIW I think you should actually stop logging here ososlo. I enjoy your log and wouldn't like to see it go but you have decided to let someone coach you. That means you should do what they say 100%, even if others don't agree. You are getting too many (well intentioned) mixed signals here and you would be better off listening to one voice! I coach a couple of people and they've come back and said X and Y say I should be doing this or that. I tell them they should be coached by that person then!

But above all remember it's meant to be fun ;)

If you look at it like that, I agree! When I'm at work there's nothing I hate more than the people I'm working with saying 'But my friends / children / people on the internet say XYZ.'

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement