Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I’m going to go against the majority here and say that keeping a limited eye on the watch can definitely help. I ran Tymon parkrun a couple of weeks ago and while I had the watch on I never looked at it, I had been trying to get sub 23 for a good while making 3 or 4 serious attempts at it but the closest I got was 23.04 in the Santry 5k before Christmas. Went out hard (for me) and ran 7.13 & 7.20 first 2 miles, I knew I was working very hard in the 3rd mile and thought I was doing enough to keep it under 7.30 but never looked at the watch, turned out I was slowing big time and ran 8.02 and ended up 23 mins flat! Now if I had looked at the watch during the 3rd mile and saw an average pace of 8.xx I think I could definitely have found more!

Roll forward to last Friday and St Coca’s 5k in Kilcock. I had made the decision that I was going to keep an eye on the watch every so often. Started off and looked after about 1/2 k and saw 6.31 m/m average pace so immediately pulled it back a little to hit the first mile 7.06, kept it steady 2nd mile looking at the watch a couple of times and mile 2 ended up 7.15. I was working hard now and looked at the watch again at 2.2 miles to see current mile pace at 8.07. Straight away I decided that I was not letting it slip again and upped the pace, kept increasing it from there to the end to literally fall over the line in 22.02 and a last mile of 7.05 and 5.23 pace for the last bit. Now there is no way I would have put in such an effort if I hadn’t looked at the watch and saw 8.07 pace.

I guess it all depends on how you will react to what you see on the watch, it you see you are going slower than expected and react by digging in then it can only be a good thing but it probably takes a few races to get into that frame of mind. Best of luck in the next few races, the physical side of things probably won’t get any easier but hopefully the mental side will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Monday 30 June
    35 mins recovery

Great drinking session last night and delighted I never found that bottle of whiskey. I felt dreadful this morning as I haven't been drinking much lately at all and am a bit of a lightweight these day but hit it hard last night. Forgot to eat during the day too bar my breakfast and a half of a cardboard-type pizza from the freezer. Was destroyed this morning but as I said, thank god I was forcefully held back from the whiskey bottle! Was so wrecked that I couldn't make an appointment I had at 9 and wasn't fit for much during the day. Didn't sleep at all last night with everything that happened during the day going 'round and 'round in my head....
    Recovery run made me feel a tiny bit better this evening.

So, does the log continue?

Have to say I'm really blown away by the advice I got here last night and today and there's some really constructive stuff from Trunner which I will be using to help me in the following months. I'm really astounded about the fact that people would bother to help me out in such a way and put together really detailed considered posts with great useful advice. This makes me feel that I don't want to close the log.
    For whatever reason, my log does seem to invite attention. Because I don't really know any of you at all (I've met a few at boards beers and only ever met with one of you whilst sober) I feel I can be totally honest as there are no repercussions in real life as none of you are part of it. So I say what I want on my log and am very honest, maybe too much so but it doesn't really matter as I'll see any of you once a year at most in a drunken haze.

I've decided not to close the log. If I wasn't doing the Novice thing I'd probably take an extended break from Boards, but I can't as I've committed to that so need to hang about the place so I might aswell log.

From the outset this was to be an honest account of my running and so it shall continue to be. I could just do a purely fact and figure type running log but that would be leaving my log devoid of it's unique Ososlo essence so it shall continue as it is. If anyone feels the need to point out where they think I'm going wrong in any aspect of my training, then I invite criticism. I'm not asking for 'backslapping' and to be honest, find that insinuation a little condescending. I take my running very seriously and even though I'm one of the slower posters on the logs, I train as hard as a lot of the faster people but don't see the 'backslapping' thing being bandied about on their logs when sessions/races don't go their way and someone pops in to offer a bit of a positive slant on things.
    Somehow I think when you're one of the slower posters, some people feel they have a given right to say stuff they wouldn't say to faster loggers. Be clear: I'm not encouraging 'backslapping' in any form. However, sometimes people just want to pull something positive from a negative situation to try and make a person feel better. That's just human nature I think and will always happen. Nothing anyone said to me yesterday was going to make me feel better because I knew I f'cked up badly and didn't log my account of the day to receive any backslapping. I logged it because it happened. Simple.

I have every confidence in my training and the person who's training me and have surprised myself in the last few months with what I've achieved in training. Now I need to learn to race. I learned a lot about myself (all negative stuff) from yesterday so that's one positive I've taken from it.
    I get a lot from the log. I don't really know runners in real life so the logs are like part of my running club and I get a lot out of the banter with other runners and learn a lot from everyone. I'd really miss that if I stopped having my own log.
    So back to business. And of course, having fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

so how did you get on Sunday...joke, joke! :)

so how did you get on Sunday...joke, joke! :)

I'll tell ya one thing barry, my rhr was about 120 this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

the drama on this log is something else :eek:....I've nothing really constructive to add but from a selfish point of view, I am glad you are keeping it open (engrossing reading) but at the same time I do think TRR makes a good point.

I haven't met you yet of course so it's a presumptuous opinion of me to form, but reading between the lines, it seems like maintaing the log can stress you out at times (despite the good stuff) so just make sure the benefits v hassle of the log, stay on the beneficial side :) (need to keep this in mind myself)

As for the race, if it were me in your shoes right now, I'd go out next Saturday to a parkrun and get it out of your system and move on, but it sounds like you are in good hands anyway so I look forward to reading more about your training over the next while.

Oh and as I mentioned to you before, (altho I think our work hours don't really align), you know where I am workwise if you fancied a lunch time easy jog to bitch about all these well meaning yet annoying boardsies :pac:

Go easy on yourself for the next while :)

statss wrote: »

I haven't met you yet of course so it's a presumptuous opinion of me to form, but reading between the lines, it seems like maintaing the log can stress you out at times (despite the good stuff) so just make sure the benefits v hassle of the log, stay on the beneficial side :) (need to keep this in mind myself)

Oh and as I mentioned to you before, (altho I think our work hours don't really align), you know where I am workwise if you fancied a lunch time easy jog to bitch about all these well meaning yet annoying boardsies :pac:

Go easy on yourself for the next while :)

Thanks S. No, maintaining the log doesn't stress me. What does stress me is constantly having to explain myself about my training and justifying why I do or do not do certain things in my training. I mightn't have to do that anymore though.
    Thanks for the running/bitching offer. Sounds good. I can't wash in work though so the run is out. The bitching session. Now that sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Osolo just popping in to say thanks for keeping an eye on my log. I'm following the DCM thread and your advice and encouragement is A1. Have been looking for a log here on Boards that might help me and I think I've found it :) Looks like I'm starting off just like you did. Well done on all your progress. Inspirational for me. I'm hoping I'll be you in a year or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

dolliemix wrote: »
    Hi Osolo just popping in to say thanks for keeping an eye on my log. I'm following the DCM thread and your advice and encouragement is A1. Have been looking for a log here on Boards that might help me and I think I've found it :) Looks like I'm starting off just like you did. Well done on all your progress. Inspirational for me. I'm hoping I'll be you in a year or two!

God no, one is plenty:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Ososlo wrote: »
    Thanks S. No, maintaining the log doesn't stress me. What does stress me is constantly having to explain myself about my training and justifying why I do or do not do certain things in my training. I mightn't have to do that anymore though.
    Thanks for the running/bitching offer. Sounds good. I can't wash in work though so the run is out. The bitching session. Now that sounds interesting!
    So don't. The advice and comments may be given with best intentions but your not obliged to even acknowledge it. Stop being so nice;)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Hey there dolliemix, enjoying your log and make sure to keep it up! Glad you're enjoying the Novice Thread. It's a bit of fun alright. As for my progress, well I can't believe anyone would call it 'inspirational' but I guess I do need to remind myself of where I started (in the gutter practically with a double vodka and coke in my hand and a fag hanging from my mouth!) and you've just got me thinking about that so I guess there has been some kind of development. Thank you. By the rate of my progress though, you'll more than likely be faster than me in a year or two!
    God no, one is plenty:D
    CHEEKY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

gerard_65 wrote: »
    So don't. The advice and comments may be given with best intentions but your not obliged to even acknowledge it. Stop being so nice;)

Fair point. I am too bloody nice.

Not like me not do this on the last day of the month...

June review:
    Miles: 120 (intentionally low to be fresh for sessions)
    Doubles: x 3 (knocked them on the head recently for the next 2 months to be fresh for sessions/races)
    1 x 4 x mile reps
    1 x 400s
    1 x 800s
    2 x progression runs
    2 x long runs
    2 x quirky attacks
    1 x DNF race

So, a bad month all in all. Oh July. What shalt thou bring?

Shifting away from June's bud
    to leave dandelions scattered in the yard
    this dawn of July
    marks the end of a lie
    a lie from past season
    for a strong reason
    ?

Wednesday 2 July
    35 mins easy.
    Felt dreadful on this run and just wanted to stop the whole way. Really not like me. Heavy legs, breathing terrible, chest felt awful. Head in a bad place. Too hot and just not enjoying it.
    Knee healing up nicely and no trouble from the glute since the accident at all so all good there.

Thursday 3 July
    Decided to rest. I have a bit of a dry cough and feel relentlessly thirsty all day and a bit fatigued. Nothing to be gained.

Friday 4 July

Can't believe I'm typing this but no running again today. Again, very tired for some reason. Never took 2 days off before unless sick or injured. Not sure what's up with me.
    Knee bruising almost gone so it was the first day I could wear a skirt without looking like a battered wife!
    Headed to bed just as the game was finishing, delighted it didn't go into extra time so I could have an early night for once. Got a very unsettling message from my sister just before my head hit the pillow (shouldn't have read the damn thing) about an old boyfriend of mine who is up for manslaughter:eek:. Very strange and unsettling. These things don't happen to people like me:confused: Needless to say, sleep was slow to come and when it did it was fitful and not very relaxing. 1.5-2 hour sleep max.

Saturday 5 July
    Parkrun

Sub 25. A min pb

Advice given was to use this as race practice and run it in a progressive manner with a conservative start, so it was never going to be a great time but the main aim was to complete it without too much pressure and not drop out like last week so I can get back on the racing wagon in the coming weeks.

Started out fairly comfortably (8:10 pace) and finished up doing the last half mile in 7:12pace so happy I finished strong. Left it too late to pull something good out of the bag but I did work extremely hard in the last half mile where I gave it everything and every fibre of my being wanted to stop every millisecond of that time but thank f*** I didn't:D. I'll race a 5k again very soon and race it properly from start to finish with a more aggressive start. Today is nothing to get excited about. It was a good hard effort in a race setting where I felt 5k race pain towards the end and wanted badly to stop but didn't so not a bad day at the office but I am capable of much better looking at my recent training paces. I'll be looking to take a good chunk of this for the next one with a more appropriate strategy.

Thing I'm most happy about today is I got my love back for running on my cool down after the race. I lost it since Wednesday for some very odd reason but it's back with a vengeance. I'm currently trying to hold myself back from putting on the runners for a few more recovery miles:D but the night is young...

2.5 miles w/u
    Race
    4 miles c/d
    Daily total: 9.5 miles

ps - thanks Trunner, J & R for the advice over the last few days. You guys are awesome:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice one.
    I'm sure you'll smash that new PB next time out too ;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nice one.
    I'm sure you'll smash that new PB next time out too ;)

thanks and believe me, I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Today is nothing to get excited about.

From small acorns ,grow mighty Oaks;)

Well done today! Really pleased for you. Plenty more to come.

RedRunner wrote: »
    From small acorns ,grow mighty Oaks;)

Well done today! Really pleased for you. Plenty more to come.

you saying I look like a tree?
    Remember, no backslapping on this log;)
    But I know what you're saying. It's a start.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Delighted for you Osolo, sometimes all as we need is a good confidence booster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the race today, a pb is a pb.

• Advertisement

pa4 wrote: »
    Delighted for you Osolo, sometimes all as we need is a good confidence booster :D

thanks. I'm not particularly happy with the time (I set out so conservatively I was never going to do myself justice really) but the main aim was to finish and conquer the demons of last week.
    Nothing to be particularly proud of as I've done better in training. But thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

thanks. I'm not particularly happy with the time (I set out so conservatively I was never going to do myself justice really) but the main aim was to finish and conquer the demons of last week.
    Nothing to be particularly proud of as I've done better in training. But thanks.

If you can do that being conservative, you will smash it when you put the hammer down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Take it as a benchmark, you can only improve from here. You're training over the past few months hasn't gone anywhere, you reep what you sow and someday day very soon your going go out and smash your PB when you least expect it. Happened me last year, I was setting myself way short in some races but looking back on it I'm not surprised at all that I ran PBs when I did after months of consistent training. It all adds up, your day will come :)

pa4 wrote: »
    Take it as a benchmark, you can only improve from here. You're training over the past few months hasn't gone anywhere, you reep what you sow and someday day very soon your going go out and smash your PB when you least expect it. Happened me last year, I was setting myself way short in some races but looking back on it I'm not surprised at all that I ran PBs when I did after months of consistent training. It all adds up, your day will come :)

thanks yes I hope to do my training justice finally for Round III in the Ososlo 5k Summer Series:D I learned a lot from today and last week. I'll probably do 3 or 4 more 5ks between now and September so should get something decent (for me) by the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

well done you - super stuff, I'm delighted for you.

well done you - super stuff, I'm delighted for you.

thanks. I'm not delighted myself (it's not like that) but I am very pleased I guess that I don't have another DNF to report:D so I set out to ensure that wouldn't happen 1000000%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done Ososlo on the PB - back on track :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

A pb is a pb A. You never know what is around the corner and how you might look back with pride on today. I ran a parkrun today too but was over 2.5 mins outside my pb and can't believe I ever ran as fast as my pb suggests! My point being that we always feel we can do better and I'm full sure you will given the training you've put in, but don't forget...you got a pb today:D:D:D

Cleanman wrote: »
    A pb is a pb A. You never know what is around the corner and how you might look back with pride on today. I ran a parkrun today too but was over 2.5 mins outside my pb and can't believe I ever ran as fast as my pb suggests! My point being that we always feel we can do better and I'm full sure you will given the training you've put in, but don't forget...you got a pb today:D:D:D

Yes perhaps I should feel like that but I don't. Maybe it's 'cause I drank the pb wine last Sunday night when I didn't deserve it:D Should have kept it.
    I don't feel any sense of achievement or pride from today. Just relief that I ran the whole damn thing without dnf'ing. That's all today was really about. I couldn't come back here after blowing up again.
    It's step one on the road to what I should be achieving (training suggests I should be doing) at this stage. I ran 4 x 1 mile reps off 90 sec recovery twice in training at a much better pace than today so it's there but needs to be done in a race setting where I give it my all.
    I'll get there soon:) I just feel embarrassed receiving 'congratulations' on something that really doesn't deserve it but I understand the sentiments so do appreciate it.

Thanks Cleanman.

Will you stop been so self critical. Your doing OK. Alright!

Will you stop been so self critical. Your doing OK. Alright!

It's all my mother's fault:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff, Ososlo. Which parkrun? We might have bumped elbows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done A
    I can see Lord Byron in his Spanish villa, reading your report on his tablet, a big Cuban cigar clenched between his teeth and chuckling to himself- "I love it when a plan comes together"

Less self criticism please.
    When I'm through this dose we will do a bit of kaffee und kuchen and mull over the implications.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good stuff, Ososlo. Which parkrun? We might have bumped elbows.

Yes same one so possibly we did. Thanks Murph!

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Well done A
    I can see Lord Byron in his Spanish villa, reading your report on his tablet, a big Cuban cigar clenched between his teeth and chuckling to himself- "I love it when a plan comes together"

Less self criticism please.
    When I'm through this dose we will do a bit of kaffee und kuchen and mull over the implications.
    ha ha:D
    21129313-mature-gentleman-smoking-a-cigar-and-giving-thumbs-up-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I never envisioned him with a lei.. Do you think he'd wear one- surely beneath a man of his sartorial elegance?

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I never envisioned him in a Hawaiian party shirt... Do you think he'd wear one- surely beneath a man of his sartorial elegance?

Definitely:D
    All that poetic and literary stuff is just a façade. Don't be fooled;)

Sunday 6 July
    4 miles recovery

Didn't really have anything to recover from as my legs felt perfect from my little race attempt on Saturday. Still feel 'meh' about it but it's a good step on the road to doing something decent, which for me at this point will be seeing a 23 on the clock for a 5k. That's how it is so there! It's not about putting myself down, it's just how it is and what I should be capable of at this point so there won't be any smiley faces after races until that's achieved.

Monday 7 July
    4 miles easy

Nice little jaunt about the local park. Nice and cool this evening. Looking forward to winter:D
    I've some tasty little sessions coming up now and really looking forward to getting stuck in. I have a choice of 4 so am trying to figure out which is the hardest one as I want to experience as much pain as possible in training before my next race. Bring it on:cool:

Tuesday 10 July
    35 mins easy

Wednesday 9 July
    5 miles easy

Was in Kilkenny for the night so nice to run somewhere different except for the randy Kilkenny lorry drivers on the Ring Road.
    I must admit I didn't feel great on this run and it was a bit of a struggle. I intended doing my session but easy running was as much as I could manage. It all became clear why I felt so bad the next day.

Thursday 10 July
    4 miles easy

I was awakened in the middle of the night with horrendous pain. 'nuff said.... It's a man's world, that's for sure.
    Large doses of painkillers put an end to any thoughts of doing my session so I just went out for a few easy miles. Not sure I should even be doing that on very strong painkillers but I kept it nice and easy and relaxed. How do the elite women manage? The pill or something I guess...

Had yet another altercation with a woman in the local athletics club running 5 abreast with her elbows out. Mine were out a little further though;) I'm so sick of it. I think I'll just stop running there. Their ignorance amazes me... Maybe I'll ring the club and have a stern word with the manager or something. Not that they should have responsibility for adults having basic manners on a public path. I'll just stop running there. It just annoys me too much and I sound like a broken record so am starting to bore myself about it:rolleyes:
    Session tomorrow! If the Running Gods allow!
    Legs feel great. Up to 910 miles for the year which isn't bad considering I've purposely dropped back from 50ish to 35ish a week for this 5k training period.

Had yet another altercation with a woman in the local athletics club running 5 abreast with her elbows out.
    Have the same problem in my local park. I now avoid training there the evenings they train.
    Bloody running clubs, eh!!!

Have the same problem in my local park. I now avoid training there the evenings they train.
    Bloody running clubs, eh!!!
    yes too right, bloody running clubs:D
    Should we give in though? I'm not usually one for giving in! Maybe life's too short to keep up the agro. Plus my elbows are getting a terrible knocking-about:(

• Advertisement

Why not join the club and plot against those elbows from the inside? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I was awakened in the middle of the night with horrendous pain. 'nuff said.... It's a man's world, that's for sure.

We have to live with yis...............
    3 females in my house = 1 week of peace :eek:

No wonder I run.

We have to live with yis...............
    3 females in my house = 1 week of peace :eek:

No wonder I run.

When it comes to running, and most sports, it's a man's world and you have it an awful lot easier in many ways.

Friday 11 July
    Rest
    Felt horrible with stomach cramps and generally dreadful. Instead of my session I dosed on couch. Had planned on going to Morton Games but really not up to anything except drifting in an out of sleep. I've been prescribed very strong painkillers as my pains are so bad and the tabs do make me feel totally wiped.

Saturday 12 July
    4 x 5 mins @ 5k effort off 90 sec rec
    Refrained from taking pain killers last night and this morning so I could attempt this session with a clear head. Decided that even if I was still in pain this morning I'd still give it a shot as my new mantra is to experience pain as much as possible before my next race. I know it's a different kind of pain but sure it all counts I'm sure:D The nightly self-flagellation programme is going great:D
    Still felt a bit ropey when I awoke but decided to go out and attempt to do it but I had a B and C plan in my head if things didn't go to plan. B plan was to turn it into 12 x 1 min session, C plan was to just do a few easy miles.
    Felt ok on 3 mile warm up.
    10:38, 10:32, 10:36. Did a few short strides instead of drills as I didn't feel like bouncing about;)
    5 min reps were 7:48, 7:52, 7:49, 7:45
    I ignored the watch pretty much and just ran comfortably hard at around 5k effort which turned out to be much faster than my recent race effort but felt just about right today. Very pleased with this as I really wasn't killing myself and the recoveries were ample to start the next rep. It was roasting hot and I did feel a bit wobbly when I finished the last one as I was obviously a bit dehydrated. Threw in a few hills at the end just for fun and no time pressures today which is super.
    Feeling good:D:D:D and really enjoyed today. Bring on the next session...
    10 miles total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Not back slapping, but well done on the session this morning.

tang1 wrote: »
    Not back slapping, but well done on the session this morning.

Thanks tang. Happy I could do that today when not feeling 100%.

Sunday 13 July
    7 miles easy

Today was supposed to be recovery from yesterday so I should have done my usual 35 min recovery but I felt good and legs felt great and I had the day to myself so what's a girl to do? I had a bit of a messed up week due to circumstances beyond my control so didn't get my long run in so I'm a day behind in my weekly workouts. Back on track this week I hope with weekend long run tomorrow or Tuesday.

7 miles at 10:36 pace around the Phoneix Park
    34 miles weekly total

Monday 14 July
    35 mins easy

This was a very strange run. For the first mile I felt terrible and breathing was all over the pace. I felt weak and just generally horrible. Mile 2 felt a bit more normal. Mile 3, I started to feel like I was going to faint. Really weak and sweating profusely even though it wasn't exceptionally warm. Couldn't wait to finish. Was ghostly white when I got back home and had no energy. It was 7pm and I hadn't eaten that much I guess. Banana, handful of brazil nuts and small smoothie for breakfast. I had a liquid lunch of a veggie juice and a small wholemeal bread roll. In the afternoon I had some dried apricots. Doesn't add up to much but I don't think this explains it fully. I did up to 21 mile runs on empty for dcm this time last year so these things don't usually bother me and I can go for days without food if I need to. Maybe I did too much the last 2 days and the previous day's 7 mile "recovery" run (instead of my usual 35 min recovery) has come back to bite me in the ass. Time will tell...

Tuesday 15 July
    10 miles w/10 mins@ 10k, 3 min rec & 6 x 45 sec @5k

AKA Longer run with Spice!
    Felt fine and healthy this morning so not sure what yesterday was all about. Took a half day from work (unpaid!) so I could fit this run in as I'm a bit behind schedule. The things we do for our running! Got the bus from town to my car and then realised I had forgotten my house keys so couldn't get home to get into my running gear. Afternoon plans ruined... I have emergency running gear in the car but it's more for winter and doesn't contain the most essential piece of kit, a running bra. No bra, no run. I can run without any other item, even shoes, but not this. Had to drive to my sister in Tallaght as she has spare keys for my place. I stayed a while and then drove back home. Got ready and headed off... worn out:(
    Went to St. Anne's but ended up doing a lot of this on the coast road towards Howth and around Bull Island. Really lovely running around there and even though it was windy, I thoroughly enjoyed it as the breeze was just coming from the side. A plethora of smiling friendly runners out that direction:) Got back to St. Anne's for the 10 mins at 10k. Pace was around 8:08 for the 10 mins and felt hard but ok. Didn't look at the watch until afterwards so ran the whole workout by feel. Really enjoyed the 6 x 45 secs but when I checked the paces afterwards, they were all over the shop and varied from 7:20 to 8, so that'll tell you how good I am at tuning into paces without looking at the watch!
    Lovely little workout and legs and body feeling great after it:D Such a novelty doing a session without having to look at the damn watch and hit certain times/paces.
    10 miles total

Welcome to the East Side. We're smiley and friendly out here. ;)

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Welcome to the East Side. We're smiley and friendly out here. ;)

Beats knocking elbows with the ladies in the local running club of a Tuesday evening anyhow! I think I'll be heading out your direction more often. On a less windy day, that path along the coast would be perfect for interval work. If it's EVER not windy out there!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement