Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be still my beating heart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Delighted to see this log surfacing at last.

It's definitely one I'll be looking out for.

Best of luck with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

menoscemo wrote: »
    I would look at the hill up to the miltary fort. http://goo.gl/maps/4B5ln

I've seen your car parked there after dark.............:pac:

Jeez, they are long old intervals ;)
    TRR wrote: »
    (although 50 metre intervals maybe ;)) QUOTE]

Doh :o !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Jeez, they are long old intervals ;)
    Yeah I'd go with either the military hill (from bottom of Kyber up to s-bends) or the hill out of Furry Glen towards Lwr Glenn Rd.
    Those should both be about 1/4 mile long...

For short sharp hill sprints I would look at the hill up to the miltary fort. http://goo.gl/maps/4B5ln

Thanks. I jogged up the last one you mentioned a few days ago and it's definitely another good option for the short sprints as no traffic and seems to have right elevation.

Cheers

+1 Was going to suggest the one close to Chapelizod gate but the Khyber is super (although 50 metre intervals maybe ;)) From bollard to bollard it is 800 metres on the button. How long do your intervals need to be? (distance/time). Also it's a great drag and really builds leg strength and speed but is not steep enough that you will risk over stretching calfs or achilles.

Short intervals. 1 minute up and recovery back down, for total of 15 mins for first session. Khyber sounds like the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just spotted this now. Great to see you logging ! Best of luck with your training.

5 miles at 10:29min/mile.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/424281634

Had to go out for a few drinks last night (god I'm so Irish :o) so felt the effects this morning and kept this at recovery effort. Only a few days left with my brother (the other one!) before he goes back to NZ for a year at least so have to go with the flow for the moment. From next Thursday the good living begins in earnest :D
    Wanted to go for a longer one this morning as it's such a fanf1ckingtastic morning but held back as I did a longer one early in the week and don't want to push the mileage too much too soon. I'll be happy to get about 30 miles done this week and start gradually increasing it from there.

Looking back at my stats for last year, I see that I ran for 309 hours and 33 minutes :eek: What did I do with all that time before I started running :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey Ososlo, just seen your log now. Super post on the heart rate training. Best of luck with everything. You have a brilliant base put down over the last year so if you keep it up, your times will definitely get better. I ran my first Park run earlier today. You should check them out if you're looking to improve your 5k time.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Hey Ososlo, just seen your log now. Super post on the heart rate training. Best of luck with everything. You have a brilliant base put down over the last year so if you keep it up, your times will definitely get better. I ran my first Park run earlier today. You should check them out if you're looking to improve your 5k time.

Ah thanks Cleanman. The biggest surprise since I started my log is that people are actually reading it! And especially that heart rate training post! I still can't believe that even one person would read that! It was loooonnnngggg:D Delighted I started my log as the support is amazing!

I've done Malahide and Raheny Parkruns and definitely prefer Raheny and am going to include one of these every couple of weeks from now on. You're right, they're a great idea for some speedwork training and a super way to practice racing.
    Hope you got on well today:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ososlo wrote: »
    Looking back at my stats for last year, I see that I ran for 309 hours and 33 minutes :eek: What did I do with all that time before I started running :confused:

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here! But time in the pub maybe :)

• Advertisement

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here! But time in the pub maybe :)

No actually:rolleyes: Now that I think of it, an awful lot of it was spent working with the sick the elderly and the poor*.

*That may or may not be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey Ososlo just seeing your log now, very interesting. I've had a similar year to you in a lot of ways, progressing nicely then bang - loss of pace, health problems (same women's issues plus other stuff), raised RHR. My theory is that my body couldn't cope with the increase in miles and pace at the same time. It allowed me to clock up the miles but a lot slower than I would have liked. I'm hoping to build things back up this year. I'll be interested to see how you go this year, best of luck with it all anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Hi Ososlo

Thanks for the post about HR as it is something I have been thinking of trying this year. I have a couple of questions for you:

What sort of weekly speed session did you do (short intervals, tempo run, etc)? Did you also run your LSR each week at under 140bpm?

When I compare my pb's to yours they make intersting reading. My 5k is 2mins 45secs faster, 5m is 3mins 20secs faster, 10k is 5mins faster, 10m is 2mins faster, HM is 1.57 and Marathon (DCM 2012) is 5mins slower. I followed Hal Higon novice 2 for DCM 2012 and ran all of my pbs in 2013 after having a decent base from marathon training. However I wasn't following any plan, just running on average 25-30 miles per week, all pretty much between 9.30 m/m & 10.30 m/m depending on how I was feeling on the day! in the lead up to races I would try and run some speed sessions but not very often.

I think it is obvious that I am lacking in stamina and need more structure to my training, joining a club is not an option as I do the majority of my runs early morning or at lunchtime due to family commitments so was thinking of trying HR training for a change.

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey Ososlo just seeing your log now, very interesting. I've had a similar year to you in a lot of ways, progressing nicely then bang - loss of pace, health problems (same women's issues plus other stuff), raised RHR. My theory is that my body couldn't cope with the increase in miles and pace at the same time. It allowed me to clock up the miles but a lot slower than I would have liked. I'm hoping to build things back up this year. I'll be interested to see how you go this year, best of luck with it all anyway :)

Thanks Runchick. I follow your log avidly as I seem some similarities between us although you are substantially faster!I increased the miles alright last year but not the pace. If anything I was running the majority of my runs much slower so that theory doesn't hold for me but makes sense that it might have for you. You seem to be going brilliantly at the moment so can't wait to see what you do in London! Here's to a super healthy 2014 for us both!

Weetabix wrote: »
    Hi Ososlo

Thanks for the post about HR as it is something I have been thinking of trying this year. I have a couple of questions for you:

What sort of weekly speed session did you do (short intervals, tempo run, etc)? Did you also run your LSR each week at under 140bpm?

When I compare my pb's to yours they make intersting reading. My 5k is 2mins 45secs faster, 5m is 3mins 20secs faster, 10k is 5mins faster, 10m is 2mins faster, HM is 1.57 and Marathon (DCM 2012) is 5mins slower. I followed Hal Higon novice 2 for DCM 2012 and ran all of my pbs in 2013 after having a decent base from marathon training. However I wasn't following any plan, just running on average 25-30 miles per week, all pretty much between 9.30 m/m & 10.30 m/m depending on how I was feeling on the day! in the lead up to races I would try and run some speed sessions but not very often.

I think it is obvious that I am lacking in stamina and need more structure to my training, joining a club is not an option as I do the majority of my runs early morning or at lunchtime due to family commitments so was thinking of trying HR training for a change.

Hi Weetabix
    From January to April I did a bit of interval and tempo work leading up to shorter races so I would have done for instance 3-5 x 1 mile at 5k pace with with 1.5 min recoveries on a Tuesday and a 20 minute tempo run on a Thursday. From May to August I only did one speed session a week which was a tempo session, so 20 mins a bit slower than 10k pace. I didn't do any speedwork in September/October up to DCM but would have done 4 miles or so at marathon pace at the very end of my long run, so 16 miles slow and the last 4 at predicted marathon pace.
    Yes all my easy and long slow runs were done at sub 136bpm so sub 75% of my max heart rate although I did allow for heart rate drift on a very long run and going up hills, the heart rate would naturally be a bit higher as I'd get more tired/extra effort on hills, but I'd try to keep it under 140bpm.
    I do think the hr training allowed me to build a super aerobic base. I could do a training run of 4 hours and not feel wrecked as it was all so easy. I think I'm mentally more suited towards running long and slow rather than short and fast also.
    Are you considering/training for another marathon?

31 miles last week so happy with that as a good base to start building back up from. Took a while to get to this point since DCM but there was no point in rushing it as I just wasn't ready.

3 miles yesterday at 11:16 min/mile with sister Ososlo in Kilkenny http://connect.garmin.com/activity/425784368
    We started Couch 25k together but she didn't keep it up. I've been nagging her lately about getting back into it so dragged her by the ponytail out for this one and she thanked me for it later:D She did great.

Monday 6th January
    5.57 miles with 6 x 1 min hill intervals.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/425784339
    Only had an hour to get this done as hate running around the Phoneix Park in the dark and had no high viz stuff on anyways so the pressure was on. Down to the Khyber and ended up ignoring my own and everyone else's advice and used one of the hills to the side of the Khyber which I think was too steep :rolleyes:
    I liked the idea of the hill going up the side bank as I could huff and puff in privacy and it seemed a little more sheltered as the wind was horrific on the main thoroughfare. Excuses out of the way... I did really badly :o

2 mile warm up and then 1 min reps of varying paces getting steadily slower! From 9:32 to 11:14 pace :eek: 90 second recoveries.
    Felt fine after each recovery and started each rep with gusto but about half way up I died a death so think I went out too fast each time and payed for it later. Story of my life ;)
    There was a bit of retching throughout and I thought to myself "I'm never doing this again", "I hate speed work", "I'm not cut out for this", "I only want to run marathon pace from now on" so I guess I did put in the effort:D
    As per usual, now that it's over, I can't wait for the next session and hope to do much better but maybe I should chose a less steep hill until I'm a bit more used to it.
    So that's my first structured hill session out of the way. I didn't run by pace for the reps, just ran by feel and only displayed time on the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

31 miles last week so happy with that as a good base to start building back up from. Took a while to get to this point since DCM but there was no point in rushing it as I just wasn't ready.

3 miles yesterday at 11:16 min/mile with sister Ososlo in Kilkenny http://connect.garmin.com/activity/425784368
    We started Couch 25k together but she didn't keep it up. I've been nagging her lately about getting back into it so dragged her by the ponytail out for this one and she thanked me for it later:D She did great.

Monday 6th January
    5.57 miles with 6 x 1 min hill intervals.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/425784339
    Only had an hour to get this done as hate running around the Phoneix Park in the dark and had no high viz stuff on anyways so the pressure was on. Down to the Khyber and ended up ignoring my own and everyone else's advice and used one of the hills to the side of the Khyber which I think was too steep :rolleyes:
    I liked the idea of the hill going up the side bank as I could huff and puff in privacy and it seemed a little more sheltered as the wind was horrific on the main thoroughfare. Excuses out of the way... I did really badly :o

2 mile warm up and then 1 min reps of varying paces getting steadily slower! From 9:32 to 11:14 pace :eek: 90 second recoveries.
    Felt fine after each recovery and started each rep with gusto but about half way up I died a death so think I went out too fast each time and payed for it later. Story of my life ;)
    There was a bit of retching throughout and I thought to myself "I'm never doing this again", "I hate speed work", "I'm not cut out for this", "I only want to run marathon pace from now on" so I guess I did put in the effort:D
    As per usual, now that it's over, I can't wait for the next session and hope to do much better but maybe I should chose a less steep hill until I'm a bit more used to it.
    So that's my first structured hill session out of the way. I didn't run by pace for the reps, just ran by feel and only displayed time on the watch.

Good woman , sounds like it was hard going! I m fed up of storms every day, I decided to get Lsr done this morning as it appeared calm but when I was 3 miles from home the wind took up and jes I thought I would be found in Achill! This coupled with the fact that I too started too fast made for an interesting end

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Good woman , sounds like it was hard going! I m fed up of storms every day, I decided to get Lsr done this morning as it appeared calm but when I was 3 miles from home the wind took up and jes I thought I would be found in Achill! This coupled with the fact that I too started too fast made for an interesting end

You guys in the West seem to be bearing the brunt of it alright so be careful out there! Extra resistance training for you:D well done

Down to the Khyber and ended up ignoring my own and everyone else's advice and used one of the hills to the side of the Khyber which I think was too steep :rolleyes:

but maybe I should chose a less steep hill until I'm a bit more used to it.

Hills are a b'stard to get used to - I hate them!!
    I presume that you are following a structured plan and this workout was part of a plan?

Most people use that hill (if its the one I'm thinking of) for hill bursts (10-20 secs or so) as its so steep.
    For longer reps, you'd need a less steep hill as you could do yourself an injury.

Try the Khyber or the hill by the C'lizod gate (facing the hospital) - that path is also lit.

That said - its still a great workout - well done for keeping it going despite the retching. Nice mileage too.

Hills are a b'stard to get used to - I hate them!!
    I presume that you are following a structured plan and this workout was part of a plan?

Most people use that hill (if its the one I'm thinking of) for hill bursts (10-20 secs or so) as its so steep.
    For longer reps, you'd need a less steep hill as you could do yourself an injury.

Try the Khyber or the hill by the C'lizod gate (facing the hospital) - that path is also lit.

That said - its still a great workout - well done for keeping it going despite the retching. Nice mileage too.

Yes I've been told what to do for these sessions.
    Yeah I fairly sure it's the one you're thinking about. At the start of the Khyber (going upwards) to the right hand side. There are 2 of them close to each other. Thinking about it, yes it was too steep for me for minute reps.
    I'll use a more suitable one for next week. The wind was so bad I just wanted to make it easier for myself today by staying sheltered but ended up making it harder :( I'll get the hang of it eventually. Main thing is I stuck to the plan and did the hard efforts and recoveries as required.

Thanks AMK. Nice going yourself today. I'm sure you've whizzed past me on many occasions in the PP.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you've whizzed past me on many occasions in the PP.

only when your not wearing lycra...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ha ha classic. The mrs is back running and came in tonight head to toe in Lycra. I'm delighted to see her back running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Nice to see you loggin here Ososlo!

I wouldn't worry about your speed relative to your mileage. I was really impressed with your charge up the 1,000 mile leader board last year. I'm sure that base of low intensity miles will serve your running goals really well this year, whether its for a 5k or Marathon.

Speaking of which I know you say your key aim is to get faster, but have you a specific distance/time goal? (it always helps to write them down :cool:)

Hope your running in 2014 brings you on just as rewarding a journey as it did in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Hi Weetabix
    From January to April I did a bit of interval and tempo work leading up to shorter races so I would have done for instance 3-5 x 1 mile at 5k pace with with 1.5 min recoveries on a Tuesday and a 20 minute tempo run on a Thursday. From May to August I only did one speed session a week which was a tempo session, so 20 mins a bit slower than 10k pace. I didn't do any speedwork in September/October up to DCM but would have done 4 miles or so at marathon pace at the very end of my long run, so 16 miles slow and the last 4 at predicted marathon pace.
    Yes all my easy and long slow runs were done at sub 136bpm so sub 75% of my max heart rate although I did allow for heart rate drift on a very long run and going up hills, the heart rate would naturally be a bit higher as I'd get more tired/extra effort on hills, but I'd try to keep it under 140bpm.
    I do think the hr training allowed me to build a super aerobic base. I could do a training run of 4 hours and not feel wrecked as it was all so easy. I think I'm mentally more suited towards running long and slow rather than short and fast also.
    Are you considering/training for another marathon?

Thanks for that reply, definitely something I will look into more. Not currently training for anything, we have a baby due in the very near future so running will be taking a back seat for now but plan to spend the next few months doing easy runs when I can and then maybe target another marathon early next year!

wrstan wrote: »
    Nice to see you loggin here Ososlo!

I wouldn't worry about your speed relative to your mileage. I was really impressed with your charge up the 1,000 mile leader board last year. I'm sure that base of low intensity miles will serve your running goals really well this year, whether its for a 5k or Marathon.

Speaking of which I know you say your key aim is to get faster, but have you a specific distance/time goal? (it always helps to write them down :cool:)

Hope your running in 2014 brings you on just as rewarding a journey as it did in 2013.

Thanks wrstan. Game on for 2014 1,000 mile challenge :cool:

Main distances on my list to target are 5k and marathon but I want to get better across the board so will be doing plenty of races of all distances between. I don't have specific time goals to be honest, I just want to do the best I can possibly do. Sorry to be so vague!

3 miles at recovery pace just to make sure the legs are ok after hill sprints yesterday. Feel great :D Tiny twinge in my behind earlier in the day but some foam rolling and butt clenching during the day seemes to have done the trick :D

Day from hell today with only 2 hours sleep (damn insomnia) and was working at a job where I couldn't drink much water as I had limited loo access and only had time for a tiny bit of a salad for lunch so thought this run would be a nightmare and was prepared to walk this recovery run if necessary but I feel 100,000,000,000 times better after it. Oh the power of running! There's nothing like it:D

Wednesday 8th January

6 miles easy at 10:30 min/mile. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/426646525
    Felt like a sack of potatoes starting out :confused: but felt better as the run went on. Probably due to the poor hydration and fuelling yesterday.
    Would have liked to go a bit further but conscious of pushing too much too soon. Weather superb for running, really couldn't be better. Sought out any hillier spots in the area as my motto for January is to "embrace the hills".
    Think I'll strap on the hr monitor some day soon to see where I really am fitness wise. The break from it has been good but I'd like to see where I stand in comparison to September when in full fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Pics.... Just to check her gait and running form ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Pics.... Just to check her gait and running form ;)

Down boy;)

Wednesday pm:
    30 mins of plank (side and regular), arm weights and foam rolling. Was able to do 2 min planks before the debauchery of Christmas and only managed 1.5 mins this evening :( Did 3 reps of each type so happy enough with that :) Going to incorporate a little core work most evenings from now on and not just once a week like before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Here's a series of 3 videos about running form

You might find the second one, which is about running up hill, a bit useful

http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/video?cm_mmc=NL-Beginners-_-1555720-_-01082014-_-How-to-Perfect-Your-Running-Form

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement