Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Ososlo wrote: »
    Not half as disturbing as the ones I have:eek: So you're not interested in purchasing a pair of Smooth Front, Skin Tight Bun Hugger Cheeky Peeker Booty Shorts in Liquid Gold Stretch Metallic Foil Coated Nylon Spandex. No front seam (reduces "Camel Toe"). The back seam "lifts and separates" your booty for a cheeky profile. ;)

You're also taking writing lessons off Stazza too I see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

wowzer wrote: »
    You're also taking writing lessons off Stazza too I see ;)

lol, it's a bit of a cheeky description alright:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jessica Augusto did look a little, eh, uncomfortable the other day alright. Still got a medal though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I just finished reading Stazza's log....don't know what I expected when I tuned in here to catch up but I'm going for lie down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Duanington wrote: »
    I just finished reading Stazza's log....don't know what I expected when I tuned in here to catch up but I'm going for lie down

a lie down..I had to go and have a cold shower!;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

pa4 wrote: »
    I always wear the tight running shorts down in college purely for the whistles and comments I get off the groups of women I run past :pac: I find them good for sessions too though, it makes me feel more aerodynamic! And they are quite comfortable. :)

Any chance of a picture, you know, for my wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Not half as disturbing as the ones I have:eek:

wait a minute now, you talkin about your visions, or your shorts. Cos if they're as disturbing as the description below, I'm not surprised you're selling them. :D:D
    So you're not interested in purchasing a pair of Smooth Front, Skin Tight Bun Hugger Cheeky Peeker Booty Shorts in Liquid Gold Stretch Metallic Foil Coated Nylon Spandex. No front seam (reduces "Camel Toe"). The back seam "lifts and separates" your booty for a cheeky profile. ;)

wrstan wrote: »
    wait a minute now, you talkin about your visions, or your shorts. Cos if they're as disturbing as the description below, I'm not surprised you're selling them. :D:D

ha ha no not me shorts:D
    I was imagining pa4 in the gold ones:eek: I don't sell them btw!
    Anyways we better stop this 'ridiculous' talk as only serious training talk allowed on the logs from now on:cool:..........

Wednesday 20 Aug
    5 miles easy @ 9:50min/mile

Was all fired up for the TT but alas... not to be today. Wrist pain terrible and complete restriction of movement (typing this with left hand!) so went to physio. Acute strain of a tendon so he hurt me a lot and strapped it up and told me not to work for at least a week. The bailiffs will be arriving if this continues for very long...
    We had a wee chat about running and injuries and stuff and when he told me to ensure I regularly roll my IT band I thanked my lucky stars that I have a strange man from the internet who I've never met before to consult about my running injuries and give me advice:D

Luckily the wrist doesn't hurt when I'm running any more than when I'm not running but I'm on fairly heavy painkillers to help with swelling and pain so felt it not really sensible to to a hard workout today. Kept it nice and handy and threw in a few 10 sec strides in the last mile. Think I spotted a Boardsie wearing a DCM 13 top in the demesne???
    TT in the morning if hand has improved. I'm all fired up for this this week so really wanna do it soon!!
    So no work for the week, no housework, can't do my ais and can't foam roll atm as can't support myself:(
    As the physio told me, 'you're pretty much good for nothing for the next while!'.. except for running thank f***ing god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Wednesday 20 Aug
    5 miles easy @ 9:50min/mile

Was all fired up for the TT but alas... not to be today. Wrist pain terrible and complete restriction of movement (typing this with left hand!) so went to physio. Acute strain of a tendon so he hurt me a lot and strapped it up and told me not to work for at least a week. The bailiffs will be arriving if this continues for very long...
    We had a wee chat about running and injuries and stuff and when he told me to ensure I regularly roll my IT band I thanked my lucky stars that I have a strange man from the internet who I've never met before to consult about my running injuries and give me advice:D

Luckily the wrist doesn't hurt when I'm running any more than when I'm not running but I'm on fairly heavy painkillers to help with swelling and pain so felt it not really sensible to to a hard workout today. Kept it nice and handy and threw in a few 10 sec strides in the last mile. Think I spotted a Boardsie wearing a DCM 13 top in the demesne???
    TT in the morning if hand has improved. I'm all fired up for this this week so really wanna do it soon!!
    So no work for the week, no housework, can't do my ais and can't foam roll atm as can't support myself:(
    As the physio told me, 'you're pretty much good for nothing for the next while!'.. except for running thank f***ing god!
    Where's the "demesne"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

At least you can run as you say. Week without running is a LONG time!!

Where's the "demesne"?

Northwood Park in Santry. Right by where I live.

tang1 wrote: »
    At least you can run as you say. Week without running is a LONG time!!

God yes absolutely. I can cope without working for a week and not being able to work at my business, but a week without running would be very hard to cope with! I'm very lucky really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Northwood Park in Santry. Right by where I live.

Ah, sorry if it sounded like a weird question. I was out running in my dcm 13 top today around Sandymount. Not familiar with the names of places:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

I'm still trying to figure out what you could have been doing in bed on Sunday when you hurt your wrist:pac:

gerard_65 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out what you could have been doing in bed on Sunday when you hurt your wrist:pac:

lol
    turning the page of the Business Post..vigorously:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

gerard_65 wrote: »

Helping poor redrunner find his tiny stick????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

This log is just filth.

And I luv it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Gavlor wrote: »
    Helping poor redrunner find his tiny stick????
    So what was it doing between the pages of the business post? and why was Ososlo turning the pages '..vigorously'?
    The mystery deepens!!!

• Advertisement

800m TT - attempt at 3mins :D

This was an attempt at the round number thing. Being very honest and realistic I knew I wouldn't do it but wanted to see where I am. Between just not having the raw speed yet and being on strong painkillers for the last few days and a bit of a wind this morning it was never gonna happen but I don't really care. I just wanted to see what I could do.
    Arrived at the track very nervous which I know is silly:D No one on the track thankfully but I had a bit of an audience with a guy and his son watching on sitting down on the bench outside the track. Then a guy started mowing the lawn in the middle and there were planes flying across every 2 mins so lots of activity but no one using the track thankfully.

2 mile warm up. Mile 1 was a slow jog around 10min pace. Mile 2 I got progressively faster.
    Ended up around 8:30 pace by the end of mile 2. Then did 6 x 100m strides with walk back recovery.
    From the start, I LOVED the feeling of running on the track. I could have gone around all day.
    This is really embarrassing but I couldn't really figure out where the quarter way point was but I did find the start line:D
    So I was supposed to check my splits at the quarter way point but as I said above I couldn't figure out where it was so had to make do with checking at half way point.
    Felt really good until about 3/4 way round the first lap when I headed into a very stiff breeze. It almost had me at a standstill and I lot momentum and an awful lot of pace. This lasted until I passed the 400m meter mark and I got going at a decent pace again. I forgot to turn off the gps so my times are gonna be inaccurate but it's the first go so I'm not too worried. I think I'll get someone else to time me next time and just shout out the splits to me.
    It said 1:32 on the watch when I hit half way so I did the first half a bit too fast to keep it up. If I had checked the watch at 200m I would have known this and slowed down a bit.
    2nd lap was a repeat of first, starting off well but 3/4 way through I met the wind again which knocked me for six. If I had done this yesterday with virtually no wind I might have done a bit better.
    Finished with watch saying 3:09. This could be out by a few seconds but if I did beat McMillan's prediction of 3:12 then I'm very happy with that. I know I'm miles off the target but I don't see it as an impossible feat with a bit more work and a better strategy and a less breezy day and a few people to run with. I have some people who want to do it with me but they weren't available today.
    I did a mile jog cooldown and felt ok after a while so went on to do the session I was initially supposed to do today. Probably will be reprimanded for doing it but here goes! I had paid 10 euro so wanted to get some value!
    10 x 45 secs hard w/jog back recovery.
    6:29, 6:38, 6:27, 6:32, 6:37, 6:34, 6:33, 7:11, 7 (pace)
    Session finally caught up with me towards the end of these so left it at 9 reps as the legs were just getting too tired.
    1 mile jog cooldown.
    Happy with that and can't wait to get back to the track. I know I said it before but I LOVED running on it and could have run around it all day:D:D:D
    About 8 miles daily total

edit to say that my best pace today was 5:30. I've never ever seen that on the watch before!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Happy with that and can't wait to get back to the track. I know I said it before but I LOVED running on it and could have run around it all day:D:D:D

If you really mean that, then this!!:D

I was wondering if that was yourself in the Demesne alright. In fairness you did say hello but I still wasn't sure.
    Eventually we'll get properly introduced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Why confine it to just one day?
    Why not SIX days like this fella!!! ;)

Ososlo Rudisha.

belcarra wrote: »
    If you really mean that, then this!!:D

I was wondering if that was yourself in the Demesne alright. In fairness you did say hello but I still wasn't sure.
    Eventually we'll get properly introduced!

Ah cool so it was your good self then! Thought I'd take the chance saying hi as you looked vaguely like your photo on you log and I've spotted you a few times before. First time I've seen you in the park though. Say hi next time back!

That is exactly the race I want to do some day:) It's like fate that I saw you yesterday:D
    I did 20 laps of the demesne one day training for DCM last year and didn't get bored once so I might have what it takes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Why confine it to just one day?
    Why not SIX days like this fella!!! ;)

That's our own Enduro.

Well done Ososlo, good to get out of your comfort zone and do something different. I am sure if you have people to chase you will go even faster.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »

Well done Ososlo, good to get out of your comfort zone and do something different. I am sure if you have people to chase you will go even faster.

was going to post something similar - with a few others around you, you'd hit the 3 min or faster. Nice going today.

Did it cost anything to book the track??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Ah cool so it was your good self then! Thought I'd take the chance saying hi as you looked vaguely like your photo on you log and I've spotted you a few times before. First time I've seen you in the park though. Say hi next time back!
    I actually did, but it was one of those muttered, under my breath type salutations!
    That is exactly the race I want to do some day:) It's like fate that I saw you yesterday:D
    I did 20 laps of the demesne one day training for DCM last year and didn't get bored once so I might have what it takes!
    I ran about 8 laps of the Demesne once and that wrecked my head, although it was unusually poor weather at the time. 20 Laps is some going though!!
    The great thing about a 24hr race is that everyone is equally shattered, regardless. If you had the endurance to last for most of the 24hrs on your feet you'd still manage 70+miles and if it was a good day you'd manage a lot more! Persistence is the key and from those 20 laps it looks like you have it in spades!!

I meant to say well done on the 800m TT too. Perfect attitude from you. You need to measure something before you can improve on it so that is part A taken care of. Great chance of breaking 3mins next time out with a couple of others to push you along!

Nice work today young Lady. Plenty to come off that time.

was going to post something similar - with a few others around you, you'd hit the 3 min or faster. Nice going today.

Yep 10 euro for the day for non members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You should join that club!!! I jest! I jest! Well done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

That's great going on your own, good on you. You will def nail it with some company. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That's really, really expensive. Our track in Drogheda is €2 for as long as you want.

Friday 22 August
    4 miles easy @ 9:36

Legs felt great since my debut track session the previous day. I guess the softer surface is a lot more forgiving than the roads and paths I normally run on. I really can't wait to give this 800m TT another shot and hope to do so in the next week or two. I'm really excited to see what I can do on a less windy day. I never thought I'd be interested in running anything less than 5k so I've really surprised myself with this. I got a great buzz from it and would love to try a 400m too, to see where I currently stand with that.

Hung out with some sick people from Thursday night to Friday evening and started feeling a bit iffy myself throughout the day.

Saturday 23 August

No running. Wasn't feeling great and after reading Stazza's advice to Bazza on his log on my way out the door to do a few miles, I took note and was sensible enough to realise that it would be senseless to push on today so took off the runners!

Sunday 24 August
    10.33 miles w/20 mins @ 10k

Wasn't sure whether or not to do the session but thought I'd give it a shot knowing it wouldn't be my finest hour. I didn't feel any worse and I slept really well. I've a bit of a cough with a slight cold and feeling a little lack lustre in general and rhr up a bit still but not as much as yesterday so thought I'd try it and just call it a day if I started to feel bad.
    Decided to do the 20 mins @ 10k effort near the beginning of the run as I knew I'd be too shagged after half way to attempt it. Not sure if this was the right thing to do as I think it's supposed to be done in the second half of the run and that's what I normally do.
    Felt ok on warm up 2 miles but was sweating a lot even though it was quite a cool day.
    The pace for the 20mins @ 10k was too slow for the effort I ran today. Just ignored the watch as I didn't want to be disheartened. Turned out to average 8:27 where I should be capable of about 8:18 going on my recent 5k time and how I've performed in previous similar sessions. I did put in the effort so hopefully it's just slower as I'm not feeling brilliant.
    Took about 2 mins slow walking after the 20min bit to recover and gradually upped the effort a little for the next 6 miles. Enjoyed the rest of the run but avoided the hills so as not to stress the body too much more today. Felt freezing cold on the second half and throat felt a bit raw when I finished. Hopefully I didn't make things worse. I think I'm ok a few hours later.
    Bumped into a guy running towards me at the end of the run who I hadn't seen in years since my days of propping up the bar in the Pump House in Kilkenny. God how times have changed. A few years ago we'd both be recovering from hangovers on a Sunday at noon and not plodding around the paths in the Phoenix Park just for the hell of it!
    10.33 miles at 9:47min/mile
    35 miles weekly total

Monday 25 - Wednesday 27 August
    Sick :(
    Why is is that when I smoked 20 fags a day and drank a bottle of wine+ every night and knocked back copious double vodkas on the weekend, ate crap food and got no exercise, I never ever got sick? I now get loads of exercise, eat an abundance of fruit and veg every day, rarely drink and this is my second sickness this year. I don't think I've ever been sick in Autumn before in my life!
    Anyways it's no big deal. I'm not training for any big goal race and I'm so fortunate not to have an injury like some other folks around the place but I could do with a few of the auld running endorphins at the moment :(

Ok Day 5 of being sick. Today is the first day I could even entertain the thought of running but I don’t think it’d be a good idea yet.. And they say that when you think you’re feeling better you should take another day off so that’d bring me to at least 6 or 7 days without running due to sickness.

A few months ago Stazza told me he wanted me to take a 10 day complete break from running this year. I went into a deep depression with the prospect of this enforced break but came around to the idea eventually and decided I’d take the break to coincide with a holiday in October. However, now that I’ll be at least a week without running due to this current bout of malise, I’m going to incorporate the official break into this unscheduled time off. Only problem is that now he wants me to take 14 days off…**** **** We’ve I’ve compromised at 12, 11, 12, 11, 10, 11 days off. Maybe 12.............

Anyways, I’ll cope with the break. It’s so much easier when it’s not an enforced break due to injury so I’m looking on it very positively. My legs won’t know themselves when I get back out there!

So folks, no running until next Saturday 6th September! Now it's time to contact all my neglected friends to let them know that Fun Ososlo the party girl is back in town for ONE WEEK ONLY! I’ve a lot of catching up to do:eek: Firstly I have to be Mary****ingPoppins for a while:rolleyes: to the sick 3 year old who gave me this disease in the first place:mad:

Ok Day 5 of being sick. Today is the first day I could even entertain the thought of running but I don’t think it’d be a good idea yet.. And they say that when you think you’re feeling better you should take another day off so that’d bring me to at least 6 or 7 days without running due to sickness.

A few months ago Stazza told me he wanted me to take a 10 day complete break from running this year. I went into a deep depression with the prospect of this enforced break but came around to the idea eventually and decided I’d take the break to coincide with a holiday in October. However, now that I’ll be at least a week without running due to this current bout of malise, I’m going to incorporate the official break into this unscheduled time off. Only problem is that now he wants me to take 14 days off…**** **** We’ve I’ve compromised at 12, 11, 12, 11, 10, 11 days off. Maybe 12.............

Anyways, I’ll cope with the break. It’s so much easier when it’s not an enforced break due to injury so I’m looking on it very positively. My legs won’t know themselves when I get back out there!

So folks, no running until next Saturday 6th September! Now it's time to contact all my neglected friends to let them know that Fun Ososlo the party girl is back in town for ONE WEEK ONLY! I’ve a lot of catching up to do:eek: Firstly I have to be Mary****ingPoppins for a while:rolleyes: to the sick 3 year old who gave me this disease in the first place:mad:

Good luck with the week off, enjoy every minute of it.

wowzer wrote: »
    Good luck with the week off, enjoy every minute of it.

yeah I fear it'll be more something to endure rather than enjoy but we'll do our best to cope! Thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Whats the injury situation now? Any housework?!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats the injury situation now? Any housework?!!!

No injury tang thanks. Stazza made me take a break from running for 12 days.
    Longest 12 days of my life. ..
    I can run again in approximately 20 hours:D

Ps sorry to hear about your injury :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

No injury tang thanks. Stazza made me take a break from running for 12 days.
    Longest 12 days of my life. ..
    I can run again in approximately 20 hours:D

Ps sorry to hear about your injury :(

In a week/10 days from now, you'll be delighted you took that break......watch!

Here's a summation of my thoughts during my enforced break.

Days 1-6 Monday - Saturday
    These were fine as I was sick. I really didn't feel like running and that never happens me so it worked out great:D

Day 7 – Sunday
    Felt better today and would definitely have run if not on a running break. Took to the bottle that night :eek:

Days 8 & 9 Monday & Tuesday
    Tough. Getting crabby. Spending way too much time on the Rant Thread to vent my frustrations. I hope I didn't offend too many people:D Had way too much to drink that night.

Days 10 & 11 Wednesday & Thursday
    Bad:mad: Played some hungover tennis during the day but my heart wasn't really in it. Tried my best to be enthusiastic. The person I was playing with did a bit of running before and after so I was well jealous:(
    Mini meltdown Wednesday night which continued into Thursday (sorry Stazza. I don't think you'll ever suggest a running break again:o) Had even more to drink that night. Had a cigarette craving that I haven't had in a few years. Thankfully I didn't succumb. I felt all of the exercise deprivation symptoms mentioned in this study and a few more:(

Day 12 Friday
    Everything's great in the world again 'cause I can run tomorrow:D
    I feel so damn lucky that I can run tomorrow. Reading other Boardsies' current injury woes I feel like a drama queen posting the above but it's all part of my running 'journey' (hate that word but can't think of a more suitable one!) so I think it's important I include it here but believe me, I appreciate 10000% that I am lucky enough to be able to run tomorrow.

A few other observations/thoughts:

Thankfully I didn't put on any weight during the lay-off, I actually lost a few pounds even though I wasn't exercising much at all which is a bit odd but I found I had much less of an appetite to be honest.
    If I ever take a break like this again it'll have to be part of a holiday abroad. I'm fine not running when out of my usual environment.
    Small stupid things start bothering me when I can't run. I never sweat the small stuff and am a much calmer, more reasonable and relaxed person when I run.
    One thing is very clear and that is that I take running too seriously and depend on it too much. I've said it before but I do need to think again about backup sports that I can do if/when I can't run for any reason. It's not healthy to be so dependant on one thing.

The plan: Ease back into things with nothing fancy for the next week or so. For the rest of the year I'll be doing a lot of strengthening work before and after my runs. I'll be building the miles up to 50/60? whatever I can handle, and adding in lots of doubles again. My work situation will partially change from October so I'll be working from home a lot more which means lots of time for doubles!!!
    I'm not sure yet what races I'll be doing but I do want to do a few 10ks between now and the end of the year and I'm really intent on achieving that 800m in 3mins challenge. If I could achieve that alone by the end of the year I would be one happy runner!

I wonder was there a similar correlation between your advice to the Novices and your moods as the non running went on......:)

I wonder was there a similar correlation between your advice to the Novices and your moods as the non running went on......:)

No AMK, I am a consummate professional at all times on that thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What is the reasoning behind the 14 / compromised at 11 days break this year ? Would be interested to know :)

What is the reasoning behind the 14 / compromised at 11 days break this year ? Would be interested to know :)

Don't go there - I'm just out of the head Doc's gaff.

Stazza wrote: »
    Don't go there - I'm just out of the head Doc's gaff.

:o

11????? It was 12! Or it will be as long as I don't get my runners on in the next hours and 40 mins!

Injury prevention and a mental break from it all I suppose although I think I was closer to a mental breakdown than potentially gaining any benefits:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Have you never enjoyed other exercise? I do think it would be good for you to have a back up. Swimming is great seriously! It was my exercise of choice before having kids, I only switched cause they couldn't accompany me running!

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Have you never enjoyed other exercise? I do think it would be good for you to have a back up. Swimming is great seriously! It was my exercise of choice before having kids, I only switched cause they couldn't accompany me running!

No interest Sam whatsoever. Hate it actually. Bike maybe at a push!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement